Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play/return if Trion did a sub only server without cash shop?

AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
The fresh start servers are coming up and trion is already admitting to having a 'cosmetic' pack for said servers on their facebook. They pretty much also admitted that the current servers are p2w since the packs are going to be 'purely cosmetic' and the cash shop will be added later on. So this made me thing, lets assume the fresh start servers were great without the cash shop or a cash shop with pure cosmetics. Would anyone here return if the game was purely sub based without a cash shop or at least a cash shop with pure cosmetics?

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Hold on there!  You can't say it is pay to win.  Where is DMKano!  Get in here!
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Can't edit the original post for some reason atm but here's the link to a reddit that has the facebook and main site links if anyone cares to read further: https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/comments/5ewfch/trion_admits_that_archeage_is_p2w/

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

flizzer said:

I agree, we shouldn't go on discussing this before DMKano has educated us on the topic.

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    I would only return if there was no cash shop and sub only. If there was a cash shop, any consumables would be game breaking for me. Perhaps a cosmetic only but that would be it. 
  • borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    DMKano is the up most authority on anything Archeage related, we should wait to respond before he weighs in. 
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Only if i can build my house/farm wherever the f*ck i want.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    edited November 2016
    Not impressed with game when I played it. They would need to get rid of their system for crafting, which would mean a total redo of the game.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Volgore said:

flizzer said:

I agree, we shouldn't go on discussing this before DMKano has educated us on the topic.

Yeah only he can educate us on this topic. 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Been saying they should do this for 2 years now , But Trion cant , they XL games permission (i believe) ..

But either way they wont as it would leave all there P2W servers Ghost Towns , very quickly , IMO they would need to open no fewer than 3 Sub only servers with modified Cash-Shop(cosmetic only) , and they would fill up very quickly ..

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Now that I have played Black Desert, no way I would ever come back to Archeage.  Restricted/limited housing, no horse breeding, farming takes days to grow things or age trade packs and you dont have any workers to do the stuff for you. 

I also prefer the cash shop in BDO to the one in AA.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Kamandi777Kamandi777 Member UncommonPosts: 223
    No power on earth could ever convince me to give Trion or anyone working with them a penny.  Ever.  They could produce my dream game and I would still never give them a dime.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    When the game was first announced I was interested.  Overtime they started talking about features they were adding.  I can't recall at what point it turned me off, but there was a time where it did.  Stopped paying attention to it.  IIRC, there was a congruence problem in my mind with their vision.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• AshluraAshlura Member UncommonPosts: 127

Short answer is no.

I love Archeage and the population had a lot to do with my love for the game. It has been so long for me and I am sure none of the people play anymore and unfortunately with games, people rarely come back. I know, someone will argue with that, but it's true. The only time to capture people to stay with your game is from release. If you screw it up and chase someone away for whatever reason, they don't come back.

I did not like the pay to win features this game provided. I watched as someone was able to run through us, fight 20 of us, and still make it out alive as they took a few of us out. All max level, but that one person had money devoted to pay for items that we did not. Great for Trion, not so great for those of us not willing to spend loads of money on a game.

Regardless, it chased me away and I will never return, even though I actually loved the game. I am pretty loyal and I stick with games, but once I leave, I don't come back.

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited December 2016
    Removal of the cash shop wouldn't change much IMO. Lowering the gap in power created by gear would.

Just removing the cash shop would still see people who've played longer and run the highest level content having massive advantages over lower level players to the point of "Running into 20 players, killing several of them and making it out fine."

I would estimate 90%+ of the gold most people have they got through grinding and not swiping.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    I'd strongly consider it.  But probably not.  Archeage has a lot to offer, but it's not perfect either for me.  Not a fan of tab-target, for one thing.

Eldurian said:
    Removal of the cash shop wouldn't change much IMO. Lowering the gap in power created by gear would.

Just removing the cash shop would still see people who've played longer and run the highest level content having massive advantages over lower level players to the point of "Running into 20 players, killing several of them and making it out fine."

I would estimate 90%+ of the gold most people have they got through grinding and not swiping.
    Well, I'm assuming it would be a new server (since they couldn't "undo" the p2w advantages people already bought), so how long you played before wouldn't be a factor.

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    I'd strongly consider it.  But probably not.  Archeage has a lot to offer, but it's not perfect either for me.  Not a fan of tab-target, for one thing.

Eldurian said:

Well, I'm assuming it would be a new server (since they couldn't "undo" the p2w advantages people already bought), so how long you played before wouldn't be a factor.

True. And while that has me coming back for the fresh start server, it has me coming back because I'll be coming back on day one. It wouldn't have me coming back next month or really at any point beyond the first week.

So basically "new sever" only works for people joining in while it actually is a new server.