Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars and the Modern MMO a Columns at MMORPG.com

124»

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't SWtoR use the same engine as ESO? If that's the case they could rework the combat to a more action style of play. The graphics are great the quests and voice acting are top notch, the only reason I don't play is cause it World of Starwars...
    Yeah, you are wrong: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/25/why-the-elder-scrolls-online-isn-39-t-using-heroengine.aspx

But they could of course still rework the combat to something more action oriented in any case. That is not something really built in the engine.

Personally do I think the graphics is a bit too much clone wars but taste differs.
  • Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568
    edited November 2016
    Moirae said:
    Yeah, I'm just not going back to try TOR when SWG is still up and running.
    It isn't.

It is!  www.SWGCHOICE.com  And 2 brand new entire planets are on test center, ATM.  There are pics on the forums.
  • AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    Personally, all I can say is "no." The story behind Star Wars is what makes Star Wars. The fact that they kill the "extras" on every mission is just icing on the cake lol. :)

That being said, the morality/justification/"the why" is the biggest draw of why Star Wars has always been so successful so if they pull a MMO FPS type of game for their new platform I will be one sad panda. :(
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    edited November 2016
    Moirae said:
    It isn't.

It is!  www.SWGCHOICE.com  And 2 brand new entire planets are on test center, ATM.  There are pics on the forums.
    Another one? Geez. Its getting old because no one is getting it right. I've tried several of these. So far I've seen ones where there are no instructions whatsoever and you have to figure out everything on your own because there are no npc's. Ones where the only "quests" are given out by machines spaced throughout the area. Ones with no broker. And more. Kind of getting tired of it to be honest. None of them even remotely competes with the original. 
    Post edited by Moirae on
  • Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568
    edited November 2016
    Moirae said:
    Moirae said:
    It isn't.

Another one? Geez. Its getting old because no one is getting it right. I've tried several of these. So far I've seen ones where there are no instructions whatsoever and you have to figure out everything on your own because there are npc's. Ones where the only "quests" are given out by machines spaced throughout the area. Ones with no broker. And more. Kind of getting tired of it to be honest. None of them even remotely competes with the original. 

Depends on when you played.  Ours is pre-CU combat but we've added in all the NGE/TCG houses and quite a few other things from different eras. 

Pre-CU was a bit different than the NGE.  There are some quests but the way most choose to level up at is mission terms.  However, you can just go grind too.  Jedi is unlocked here and not a starting prof.  We'll end up having village jedi (last of pre-CU and CU) with all the content in for that and alpha jedi (pre-patch 9).  Alpha will have their own PVP system of light v dark.

Your more than welcome to try it, just ask in General Chat for some1 to help u re-keybind/etc and get u started.  10 toons per account so you can try several of the 32 different professions there are in-game, not just the "9 iconic".  (double master also, you have the points to do that).  We've all leveled up sooo many times that this server does not make the grind all that bad.  3X XP.  SWG was always a game that started when you were leveled anyway and leveling a toon  was just a necessary evil.

Pre-CU has a bit of a learning curve but when you get it figured out you'll see why so many wanted it back (on live) from the NGE version.

• nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Loke666 said:
    Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't SWtoR use the same engine as ESO? If that's the case they could rework the combat to a more action style of play. The graphics are great the quests and voice acting are top notch, the only reason I don't play is cause it World of Starwars...
    Yeah, you are wrong: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/25/why-the-elder-scrolls-online-isn-39-t-using-heroengine.aspx

But they could of course still rework the combat to something more action oriented in any case. That is not something really built in the engine.

Personally do I think the graphics is a bit too much clone wars but taste differs.

Thanks @Loke666 That was very informative, I had been operating under an old assumption. Thanks for the correction.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Not everyone wants action combat in an MMORPG. It wasn't the savior of the genre. WoW is not dead, it's stil top dog. ANd another successful non action combat title doing well is FFXIV.

I stopped playing SWTOR, not because of it's combat, but because BioWare decided that once a month, a 30 minute cinematic/ solo quest constitutes an expansion.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Thanks @Loke666 That was very informative, I had been operating under an old assumption. Thanks for the correction.
    NP, a lot of people here still think ESO runs hero engine since there were lots of talk about them licensing it during development. The Repopulation uses it but are switching to Unreal.
  • JinookJinook Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I always love it when writers diss WoW who, to this day, does so very much right. They enjoy the largest consistent subscriber base of any MMO out there. Same with their revenues. And trolls aside, the facts, as in, the dollars, show Legion to be one of the best launches. I like the article, even if I disagree with most of it on some level. So this isnt against the writer, just challenging his views on WoW.

And The Division? No, no, no, no

There is a reason The Force Awakens broke almost every record out there, in terms of ticket sales. There is a reason that Rogue One appears to be headed towards a ton of success. People love Star Wars, their stories, on and on. And this is where EA has failed. We keep using Bioware but honestly, thats ridiculous. Both of the original founders of Bioware have been gone for some time. This is an EA game, pure and simple.

Don't get me wrong, about 70% of the story content rates between good to really good. They had that sad period of trying to pass recruitment stories as storytelling, but apologies were issued and one they went. But EA is the problem and here is why. And it has nothing to do with it being a theme box or a WoW'esk game.

#1- From day one until now, no matter who is in charge, they tell us what game we will play versus giving us the SW experience and game we want to play. Lucas learned this the hard way, taught by JJ Abrams. Over and over again, they make choices, LOTS OF THEM, that greatly undermines and limits the overall game experience. For example, giving us companions we cannot customize while kicking out, for all practical purposes, the toons we connected with over years and could customize. Seriously, how in the heck does that horrible kind of decision making even get made?

#2- Although I left the game and then came back, on and off, the first two years I was very active and very vocal. Back then, I loudly condemned their Cartel Con as anything but a micro-transaction. GW2, WoW understands the concept, SWTOR does not. Back then, I got a lot of push back. Today, people are fed up. Decor. Some of the best decor in the game has to be purchased, end of story. And even then, its not a straight forward, I want X item for a small real world money fee. Nope. Its bleed your customers dry via gambling. At its core, this dynamic says, our customers are about money, first and foremost. Epic fail that continues to this day. The game for subscribers costs $180 a year!!! No way a PS4 or XBox game would sell a game for that kind of money. To rip people off on top of that via the Cartel Con is a total lack of integrity. And its one they have never faced because they are EA.

#3- Choices. I BETA tested and played both Galaxies and this game. While there were many incredible aspects to SWG, day to day, it was boring as hell which is why it failed. Wherein this game has a decor layout that is greatly limited. And their prestige system is a joke. Toss up as much garbage in as many slots as possible, on as many properties as possible- you win, all of which is a money sink, all about EA not a well thought out experience for players. There is zero incentive and minimal tools to put forth gorgeous properties. SWG had architects and furniture designers that became the stuff of legend. Anybody else buy weapons from Morbous I think his name was? SWG offers none of this. Put up just enough to keep taking our money.

Ive had some good times and memories in SWTOR just as I did with SWG. But it is, hands down, the worst managed game with the least integrity of any Ive played. Its gaming communism. Its ridiculous game mechanics like the decor thing I mentioned and the companion disaster. And I see no sign whatsoever, that they get or care about any of this.