Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Swtor worth getting into?

13»

Comments

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    sketocafe said:
    I'm going to say absolutely not unless male jedi-robe shelf-ass is fixed. If it has been, then probably not still.
    Definitely a good reason to not play.  Unless....

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Albatroes said:
    ianicus said:
    I love the comments from some who bash the game cause it's not a sandbox. No crap it's not a sandbox, it was never marketed or designed to be. Gamers are terrible, they review a game based on what they wanted it to be not on the merits of what it IS. Would I have loved a swg2? Yeah probably but as it is its an ok game. There are far worse out there...
    Dont you love the guy who necro's a 4 month old thread more though?
    I think I do...
  • AzaghalAzaghal Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Nice to try, but dont bother getting involved in it unless your a mechanics player, even the new update has bosses (story line solo) in it that would make WOW raid bosses run for cover. They have no concept of balance and seem to just make boss combats based on mechanics players with near if not full spec'd gear.  
    I've been playing since 2011, I cant raid due to ping and the solo story mission can have bosses in it (like chapter II) that wipes the floor with you. They force you to use a companion with level 1 influence (making them useless) and as a consular (very squishy) you die in a minute if not sooner. 

Might be a few more months before I go play again, maybe by then they will have made these impossible encounters more balance for casual gamer and not just mechanics players.
    This is pretty much the way swtor does it, overpower it so they dont upset the mechanics players but eventually realize that there pissing off everyone else and gradually bring to a more playable level for the rest. 
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789
    Before f2p, SWTOR was a decent RPG to play with 1 to 4 friends. After f2p, our guild/clan pretty much collapsed as everyone left. Not much to do if you like to make lots of characters and play them as you are restricted in number of characters you can have. Space combat has always reminded me of some simplistic arcade shooter and not a very good one at that. So, I would say give it a try on f2p but don't expect much unless you want story. There is a lot of linear story.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• ChoostopherChoostopher Member CommonPosts: 9
    @Gruug would you say it would be worthwhile signing up now F2P if you already had some friends in the game? Also can the game be played strictly in 1st person mode with an Occulus Rift, controller and an Omni or similar?
    Lightsabers, beer, Darkchylde, Spider-Woman, Dragons, Giant Mecha, Anime, Immersion and First Person Perspective
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    edited April 2017
    i have commented in a similar thread before, and if its your first time playing swtor then yes, its defintely worth a try.

The reason why its get negative review is for things like
    -class imbalances,
     -lack of open world pvp,
    -static environment but still somewhat pretty a not as noticeable with an active server
    -small expansions
    - cant add new classes or havent since the game has been live for 5 years
    - barely can add new races, only 2  new ones so far
    - did not add pazaak, or swoop racing
    - did not add end game raids for a while
    - a lot of effort seems to go towards their cash shop

but if its your first time on an active server, it does feel like a high quality mmo with nice sounds and a nice SW settings with flashy combat that fits a sci-fi themepark mmo

and there are people that complain that its worse since it becmae f2p which kind of doesnt make sense since it cant become worse since its f2p is you are going to be a subscriber, at least you can still login without paying. anyways, i have played the game a long time, and I can barely find a reason to play, but I think a lot of new players find the game enjoyable, but unfrountaley the game is not expanding as it should and for that reason it kind of becomes stale, but at least you can enjoy it while it lasts until they have you waiting and wanting.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• ChoostopherChoostopher Member CommonPosts: 9
    @Incomparable thanks for the write up, looks great from what I have seen and glad to know even if not perfect it isn't a train wreck, can you comment though on:

1. Can the game be played strictly in 1st person mode?
    2. Could it be made to work easily with Occulus Rift, a hand controller and an Omni or similar?

Really looking for immersion into a game.
    Lightsabers, beer, Darkchylde, Spider-Woman, Dragons, Giant Mecha, Anime, Immersion and First Person Perspective
  • NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318
    edited April 2017

I am currently a hardcore ESO player so what does SWTOR have that ESO doesnt?

Friend, ESO online is a VASTLY SUPERIOR mmorpg -- SWTOR can scarcely be classified an mmorpg. SWTOR is more like a series of fragmented Android games, which takes place in instanced "hubs".

One could easily classify ESO as among the best current MMORPGs, and SWTOR among the worst.
    Post edited by NagilumSadow on
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    edited April 2017
    Not worth playing this game as a free to play player. If you pay it as a pay2play player, then sure. But then again, given what games that are out for free/b2p, its not worth playing this as a pay2play player.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I've played this mmo off and on since Closed Beta.  It's not perfect.  But it is well made and a great tab target mmo.  It's definitely at least worth a try imo.  Having a liking to Star Wars helps as well.  I'm not a SW fanatic, but it does make it more fun to be in that universe. 

My main advice is this.  If you decide you like it early on, get a sub.  Even if it's just for a month.  All restrictions are lifted and the game overall is more enjoyable.  Plus you get permanent Preferred status after words (or you can get it spending $5+ in cash shop).
    JeroKane
  • Tabloid42Tabloid42 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    I recently came back , used to sub so I am auto Prefered status.   The storylines are fun and playing around with the dark side choices is amusing.   Really I came back because I am so starved of any new MMO. And also it is very very face roll casual in the PvE regards.   Which these days is fine by me. 

I played ESO at launch but the whole phasing turned me and my friend off.  IN general,..most MMO's suck at group or two player questing experience.  
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015

@Gruug would you say it would be worthwhile signing up now F2P if you already had some friends in the game? Also can the game be played strictly in 1st person mode with an Occulus Rift, controller and an Omni or similar?

doubt many MMO's would work well with VR... it would probably be the last market for it if it ever kicks off.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789

If you like "limitations" then I would say at least give f2p version a try. Not sure that you would want to play this in 1st person so much especially if you are playing as a Jedi or Sith. Don't know about the Rift or Vive and never tried to play it with a controller or such.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• ReasonedReasoned Member CommonPosts: 2
    If it dies, you will want to have played a bit first.  Get a one month sub.  No regrets later.  And the early stories are fun.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    edited May 2017
    The story is really good and fun to level up to you get to the Fallen Empire expansion. Then it went steep downhill. Companions you grew attached to and heavily invested in are suddenly gone and removed, without knowing when or if they ever come back! Seriously pissed off a lot of people. Etc, etc.

But up and until that expac, the game is actually fun and enjoyable. A fun ride and worth getting a sub soon after you decide you like it, since it will remove all the stupid ridiculous restrictions, making the experience more enjoyable overall.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited May 2017
    IMO no, as much as I love Star Wars, and the concept behind SWTOR, Bioware simply does it wrong...

First, the game needs a engine update and more realistic character models.

Second, Cosmetic Items should not be locked around RNG Chests that can't be purchased at all times.

Third, The game is locked around classes of all things rather than being dynamic allowing people to change based off equipped weapons for example or play one character and be able to switch to every class within a safe area / house.

The best days of Star Wars was Knights OF The Old Republic, Single Player & Jedi Knight Series.

I could say the same thing about Star Trek Online ); the game simply should have been done on a better engine and looked like Star Trek Bridge Commander.
    MrMelGibsonGdemamiBakgrind
  • TrandTrand Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Do they still just push the item shop over and over again? I enjoyed the game and the class stories but go so tired of all the new content just being more shite on the item shop.
    Gdemami
    DOAC is still the MMO I judge other games by, My first and still my favorite.