Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which MMO had the best boss fights?

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
edited November 2016 in Polls
Which MMO had the best boss fights? Vote and tell us why/which boss was your favorite!

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I voted WoW, not because "had" but because "has". They've done a great job in recent years with their dungeons and raids, and even before then. Close second is the insanity that was FFXI bosses.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    Damned unique, and damned coordination needed. Wildstar hit the nail on the head with boss fights. Challenging, plus challenges that hold extra reward for going out of the way to defeat. Regardless of the combat system. This game really made a boss truly feel like a boss.
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Aion stronghold boss fights were awesome, fighting the boss and other players at the same time, PvPvE at its best.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Daikuru said:
    Aion stronghold boss fights were awesome, fighting the boss and other players at the same time, PvPvE at its best.
    You just reminded me. That is exactly what I enjoyed most about fort fights in WAR. It had to be coordinated especially that attacking players were on timer.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I'm not a huge fan of boss fights in the first place since many of them are just jumbo sized bland mobs with a bloated health pool and one or two attacks that need to be avoided. It usually feels more to me like a time consuming choreography than a fun challenge.

Having said that, I did enjoy the variety of many LOTRO group and raid bosses.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Tgiordano92Tgiordano92 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Tera for me
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Don't think anything compares to WoW bosses during progression. Every single tier has interesting and challenging bosses. 
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    I liked GW2's fractal bosses.  Some of the world bosses were okay too,  but the Fractal Bosses were challenging, and no matter how many times I played certain ones,  you couldn't just afk them.   

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    EVE - me on my Titan
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    The only reason i did not pick WoW is because of the trinity. Teamwork is easy with a trinity. Succeeding without a trinity IS better teamwork in my very personal opinion.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Iselin said:
    Having said that, I did enjoy the variety of many LOTRO group and raid bosses.
    Yep, LotRO has some really nice mechanics, too bad it isn't on the list... But what's even more puzzling is the absence of AoC and TSW :wink: 
    Great dungeons, raids, even the solo storyline bosses are fun, there are the open-world or (in TSW's case) the summonable world bosses, the event bosses (like Hel during xmas).
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I'm gonna go with WoW there.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659
    Age of Conan

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    I never played the game much, but when I saw a video of the Sophia fight in FFXIV I was thoroughly impressed. 

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    I love the WoW fights, but the one fight that still resonates with me was the Rancor raid boss in SWTOR, so I voted for SWTOR. It's not a difficult fight per se, but it's a freakin' rancor!

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    eq2 for sure.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    edited November 2016
    I'm saying EQ2/Vanguard and current would be Dragon Dogma Online. 

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    FFXIV - many stand out boss battles.

But I'll go for this one: [SPOILER WARNING]

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Forgrimm said:
    I never played the game much, but when I saw a video of the Sophia fight in FFXIV I was thoroughly impressed. 

Lol, way over the top, freaking flashamatics. 

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    EQ1 for me.  I may be the one person that enjoyed all of the raid bosses in the Planes.  I distinctly remember Rallos Zek in Bastion of Thunder, because that encounter was broken at the time -- out guild got to try different strategies to win in spite of the broken bits.   I also liked the fights in the Plane of Water.  Even the 'entry' level events in Plane of Nightmare and Plane of Justice were fun.

But, I suspect this poll comes down to which MMORPG the respondent played most, or played most at the 'end game'.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    FFXIV followed by Rift. Both had lots of well designed boss fights and introduced new mechanics into the genre.

I don't know why GW2 is even there. Its boss fights were among the worst I've ever played. The only well designed fight in the entire game was The Twisted Marionette.

TERA or even B&S deserve way more recognition than GW2.
  • PabloFigassoPabloFigasso Member CommonPosts: 9
    WILDSTAR if You are looking for real challenge :) If not just go Wow
  • NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    I'm fond of the boss fights in ESO, particularly in the newer DLC Dungeons. Very creative mechanics. 
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    FFXIV followed by Rift. Both had lots of well designed boss fights and introduced new mechanics into the genre.

I don't know why GW2 is even there. Its boss fights were among the worst I've ever played. The only well designed fight in the entire game was The Twisted Marionette.

TERA or even B&S deserve way more recognition than GW2.
    And you think Guild Wars 2 stayed the same till today since you last played and didn't like the boss fights? I picked WoW but yes Guild Wars 2 today has some of the best boss fights I've ever seen. Some of the fractal bosses and especially the raid bosses are amazing. You do realize that these games are continue to develop over time right? From pve perspective today Gw2 is an entirely different game than what it was 2 years ago.

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file