Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Gaming Ideas of 2016?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Comments

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856
    edited November 2016
    Even though No Man's Sky was a fizzle, procedural generation seems to me to hold a lot of promise. I'd love to see quests and accompanying interiors/terrain/mobs being generated for these in mmorpgs. As well, dynamic loot generation has already been done excellently years ago in Asheron's Call 1. But sadly, I've never seen it done since. What a disgrace.

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597
    More devs are finding ways to get their mobile devices/tablets involved in their experience (i.e., Albion's multi-platform or Fo4's Pip-Boy). Nobody has really cracked the code on how to best do this, but I have a feeling we'll see improved iterations as time goes on.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited November 2016
    Although it is still limited for now, i would say cross platform multiplayer. SF5 and Rocket League (and XIV but thats an older one) proved it can be done very nicely.

Mouse only gives the advantage in PvP shooters, and that can be easily fixed by adding rulesets/filters (mouse only, controller only) to some servers for those PC gamers like me who prefer a gamepad ;) i know im not alone there. Its a win win for everyone.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I realize modding isn't new or by any means rare, but I love the mod additions to XCOM 2.  The freedom of modding in this game, and support for the modders from the developers is something I want to see in more games.  I have 246 hours in XCOM 1 on my steam account.  XCOM 2 has 600+ hours.  The mods have given the game a massive amount of more replay value.

The Division -  I realize this game gets some flak.  Some of the flak is warranted I suppose, but I enjoyed my time in this game.  This was a first of it's kind for me.  There is a lot I would improve.  But I would take a lot from this game and hope it's added into future similar shooter mmos.  I would absolutely love this game in a cyberpunk setting. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Yes i go way back to the early days of Doom and Unreal ,they were imo the leaders of the industry with the legendary Carmack and ID and Epic games.

I still to this day look for devs to use ideas that FFXI started and could be improved upon but instead mmorpg's are all boring clones with boring combat.

Example the FFXi Renkai system along with Magic Burst is still 14 years later better than anything we get now.Well we got a great glimpse and start in housing with EQ2,nobody has done much with that idea since,everything has been cheaper crap not better.

How about FFXI's Besieged,i have been looking for that idea in ANY game and still nobody delivers.it is perhaps the most fun idea i have played in any mmorpg but instead we get Arena.Net telling us their dynamic events are the shit ....lol.

Games that don't want to use a class system could be using FFX's sphere grid system.POE uses a similar system a couple others are but to a lesser extent,as already mentioned,so many devs are doing things cheaper not better.

Once again FFXi introduced the ability to play as the games mobs,yes i have seen it done somewhere before but this system could have been improved and taken to the next level.

Back to the Doom game,Unreal/UT gave us the modding/tools i have been asking for in mmorpg's way back in 98/99,so 17 years ago,why are these modern devs so dam cheap and so far behind?Oh but they give us sliders so we can play makeup artist....no thanks,i want gaming not Mr.makeup.The problem is how to implement it in a mmorpg,i do not like the idea of private servers it segregates the community which is the only way i see it implemented at this point.I do have several ideas how to pull it off,so if i can think of some,devs should be able to as well.

I liked the idea from ROM Runes of Magic,whereby you could put stats on gear and reclaim from gear as well using Runes,hence the name of game.The problem with that idea was tied to the cash shop,as long as it is not cash shop it is a great idea.

Skills and accuracy...where?I am not seeing it in games,instead i am seeing lots more easy spam killing,now i see more and more games turning into arpg type combat,makes me want to vomit.You should have skill to use your weapon,if you swap to a weapon you have never used before ,you should be a noob,missing a lot and doing less damage.There is a huge area that can be tackled here instead of the lazy cheap effort i am seeing from developers.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    close down this site and start new site with actual mmorpg information on it

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Legends, The Elder Scrolls card game has a really cool system whee you create your own "class" by the cards you select for your deck; also the races have racials that modify how cards are drawn.

I got bored playing after two weeks because things just seemed too random. Granted it was the first card game I've ever played more than 10 mins. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Overall the design of MMO's as Chronicles of Elyria is one design of a game i'd love to play.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I always found Hero Engine's level design tools to be fantastic. Building upon that base from 2006 would make for a wonderful tool. I imagine Doom has incredible tools as well since Id is known for that. I just haven't gotten the game yet.

The best ideas I have seen so far this year come from VR. FO4 in VR makes a much more immersive experience if you can manage to get the frame rate high enough. Using the platform to its benefit in the form of rock climbing, sky diving, and driving have all been good applications.
    Even though it isn't related to gaming, Microsoft's Hololens is also very exciting.
  • PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856
    I have my doubts about how practical modding could be in MMORPGs. Other than interface tweaks, etc. that is. Game or graphics altering mods would have to be pushed out to every client.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    So what ideas came out of this year's crop of games do you see being copied or should be built upon in future games?
    Even if the idea is not really 'new' but the way it is presented in a game from this year makes it stand out.

My nod would be:

SnapMap -- Doom

Building levels is fast, fluid and easy and a joy to behold. You can build complete levels with item placement, mobs and even scripting and logic. One of the many things that make this year's Doom one of the best games of the year.
    I hope to see the ease of use that Doom provides in creating new content carry over into other games. Of course most shooters offer modding yet none make it as easy and as rewarding as 2016's Doom.

Special mention to the mod support on consoles.
     It is nice to see games like Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE get mod support for consoles. I prefer to game on my PC but it is nice to kick back and game on the 65" every now and then. I hope modding is added to more games and more genres on console in the future.

Sorry, but this isn't working for me.  The original Doom was the king of mods back in the day.  There were so many mods online it wasn't funny.   The "easier" justification doesn't hold water with me. 
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited November 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    waynejr2 said:
    So what ideas came out of this year's crop of games do you see being copied or should be built upon in future games?
    Even if the idea is not really 'new' but the way it is presented in a game from this year makes it stand out.

My nod would be:

SnapMap -- Doom

Building levels is fast, fluid and easy and a joy to behold. You can build complete levels with item placement, mobs and even scripting and logic. One of the many things that make this year's Doom one of the best games of the year.
    I hope to see the ease of use that Doom provides in creating new content carry over into other games. Of course most shooters offer modding yet none make it as easy and as rewarding as 2016's Doom.

Special mention to the mod support on consoles.
     It is nice to see games like Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE get mod support for consoles. I prefer to game on my PC but it is nice to kick back and game on the 65" every now and then. I hope modding is added to more games and more genres on console in the future.

Sorry, but this isn't working for me.  The original Doom was the king of mods back in the day.  There were so many mods online it wasn't funny.   The "easier" justification doesn't hold water with me. 
    Then you never played the new Doom and played with Snapmap.
    Modding in 93 was not too difficult but the level of detail achieved with SnapMap is awesome and far surpasses any mod making previously done in shooters without programming and scripting knowledge. Including Unreal. It places the power of a developer into everyone's hands. Not just the computer and programming experienced. Everyone. 
     With SnapMap,ID has turning over the tools for easy and simple ways to create the complex. Including scripting and logic programming. This was NOT easily done back in the day. Trust me. I worked on and created over 39 mods for Doom and Unreal. One was a patch release. SnapMap is like Little Big Planet for modding a shooter. An awesome achievement and one that needs to be tried to appreciate.

http://doom.com/en-us/snapmap

My last doom was doom 3.

**BIG CLUE** You are talking about 20 year old technology.  All they did was make it easier for you.  Not way is that a brand new original technology.  If you are going to cut them slack for that, I better not see you being critical of someone who reused other technology.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    My vote goes to Pokemon Go.

Not the first AR game out there, nor the longest lived game, but certainly made a big splash.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I can't say I've really been impressed with much in terms of new mechanics / features / technology. 

The only thing that stands out for me is what EQN and CU attempted / are attempting - allowing players to properly modify the game world. Obviously EQN got cancelled but the idea of incorporating the landmark technology into an MMO is awesome, as is the C.U.B.E. system from Camelot Unchained. Being able to essentially free-build whatever you want in game (and then destroy what others make) is the sort of thing that will make an MMO really feel alive and extend the life of the MMO. As I love games like Cities: Skylines and I love PvP, this sort of thing is perfect for me. 
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Another Brick in the Mall or Prison Architect.

The 'simulation' and 'strategy' games of real life activities is a HUGE untapped opportunity for a TON of new content. Everything from something like a store clerk strategy game bringing the concept to a more micro level all the way to Chemical Plant Manager in which you manage and build a chemcial factory.

reality provides us with a TON of queues on gaming ideas 

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me