Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Legion the best PAID expansion for any MMO?

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
A lot of MMOs come out with paid expansions, some are pretty good, like EQ2 has amazing expansions.

But has Legion topped it all off?

Not only are they producing patches for MUCH longer than WoD (which its major fault was content death, with no patches for months and months). But they took the good from GW2 (random events, scaled leveling), took the story features from SWTOR (Suramar for one), made most classes more action based/fast paced (demon hunters are most action/fast paced)...and there is TONS of content. And the patches they ARE coming out with, are bigger and better as well. They are focusing much more on the story, but allowing content for everyone.

On top of all that, they are bringing a lot of ideas (item RNG, quests etc) from Diablo 3. Some may not like that, but for me personally, that is amazing as while Diablo 3 may have faults, a lot of the mechanics are good.

Is Legion the best WoW expansion to you? Does it, for you, top off all other paid expansions for MMOs?

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    I should add too. The world design for Legion and for each expansion, is getting better and better. One problem I have with many MMOs, and I won't name them here...but there is such a lack of scenery details. There is an MMO made for consoles, and the world feels just so barren and lifeless compared to Legion. Now WoW of course started off better than average with world design, but each expansion has just gotten better and better. And for me, Legion and Broken Isles tops them all. So much detail and quality everywhere.

The only exception is Outland. The most boring, grindy, mundane place to level. Everything before and after is good though.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I hear they keep "pruning" iconic abilities. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    bcbully said:
    Not different than GW2 or ESO. GW2 pruned TONS of abilities and skills from GW1. GW1 had hundreds if not thousands of different skill combinations. GW2 has very very few. Not saying pruning is appropriate, but GW2 did vastly far more pruning than WoW has ever done. And sure GW2 is different than GW1, but GW1 was vastly superior to GW2 in class/skill design. ESO of course didn't prune their abilities, but are much more limited than you are in WoW.

Plus ESO you really need specialized builds (same with GW2) to do well in PvP. WoW, you are far more free to choose what you want.

With that said, I don't like pruning in any MMO, or limited skills/spells. FFXIV has a lot more variety here. But nothing compares the pruning that GW2 did, new game or not, compared to GW1.

But WoW classes still feel iconic and feel pretty refined. The only class really that heavily suffered from the pruning is Shaman, which is worse at soloing than Mage is now.

• Ir1shguyIr1shguy Member UncommonPosts: 84
    I am seeing a pattern here with all the wow is the best posts.. are you losing interest in it and trying to revive your interest in a pasty flat slow game?
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Legion isn't even the best WOW expansion

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    bcbully said:
    Not different than GW2 or ESO. GW2 pruned TONS of abilities and skills from GW1. GW1 had hundreds if not thousands of different skill combinations. GW2 has very very few. Not saying pruning is appropriate, but GW2 did vastly far more pruning than WoW has ever done. And sure GW2 is different than GW1, but GW1 was vastly superior to GW2 in class/skill design. ESO of course didn't prune their abilities, but are much more limited than you are in WoW.

Plus ESO you really need specialized builds (same with GW2) to do well in PvP. WoW, you are far more free to choose what you want.

With that said, I don't like pruning in any MMO, or limited skills/spells. FFXIV has a lot more variety here. But nothing compares the pruning that GW2 did, new game or not, compared to GW1.

But WoW classes still feel iconic and feel pretty refined. The only class really that heavily suffered from the pruning is Shaman, which is worse at soloing than Mage is now.
    ESO more limited than WoW... that's ridiculous. Don't get me wrong I use to love WoW, but ESO's skill system has no equal. I made new builds for years and stayed at the top of the PvP food chain. The best parrt is that they are adding even more skills, not pruning... 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622
    Call me old fashioned but Burning Crusade was my fav WoW expac. I waited in line for an hour near midnight just to get the disc. Came home and put it in and played till the wee hours of the morning. The anticipation I felt for that expac was never repeated. 
  • ann4ann4 Member UncommonPosts: 41
    monarc333 said:
    Call me old fashioned but Burning Crusade was my fav WoW expac. I waited in line for an hour near midnight just to get the disc. Came home and put it in and played till the wee hours of the morning. The anticipation I felt for that expac was never repeated. 

I loved The Burning Crusade too.

I stood in line for hours at the games store with a bunch of people cosplaying, it was strangely the best and most odd night of my life, lol.
    Hiya!  Would you date a gamer girl? Look at the page I made. Hope you like!  <3 
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Legion is their best x pac by a mile IMO.
  • vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Mines of Moria for Lotro was my favorite. A brilliant game that went to shit after MoM
  • Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
    edited November 2016
    Legion is the expac that kept me for the shortest amount of time.  It has the most obvious repetition and grind compared to others.  Takes forever to achieve anything and that involves going round the same old World Quests day after day.  Other expacs seemed to hide it a bit better and there was more variety.  This is the pits and it's why my sub ran out yesterday. Not only did I unsub, but I destroyed all my equipment and deleted my character as I never want to be tempted back in as I reflect on the many hours wasted in the game when I could have done something more interesting with that time.  It does suck you in when you have invested a lot of time, but it's not productive and I've come to see that. Looking back, it all seems no childish now and the game is aimed at the younger generation that flood the chat channels with immaturity.  I'm glad to be moving on as the game has served its purpose.
    Post edited by Kane72 on
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Legion, frankly helped me give up WoW very quickly, by comparison WoD was a better expac, the single worst feature of Legion was imo the artifact weapons and the changes to the classes
    My favourite classes such as Hunter - Beast spec, Warlock - Affliction spec, Mage - Arcane spec, were turned into abominations that honestly i could no longer bear to play.
    Legion, for me was a waste of money, worse, it was a waste of time, the WoW killer has finally emerged, and its Blizzard, well the game is still going obviously, but Blizzard did a pretty good job of killing my interest in the game.
    It just means for me that WoW is no longer in my rotation of MMO's, maybe, just maybe, one of these days i'll finally have enough spare time to finish DA:Inquisition. B)
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    bcbully said:

really? comparing different games to expansions?

2nd misake is saying that u are more free to choose in wow for pvp hahaha yeah sure , and gw2 u dont need to have elite specs for pvp , some proffs do well w/o it , its true that for others is a must have , thief w/o daredevil is weak for example , mesmer w/o chrono is lolnope

some mmorpgs need pruning badly (eq2 , rift to name a few ) having 300 skills is cool on paper , but in the end isnt....40skills (including Cds) is ok , u have a main rotation , some CC , some utility , CDs and fun spells

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Guildwars: Nightfall is the best paid expansion for any MMO... The number of zones and new content was just staggering. 

In any measurable way it must be by far the most massive (5 new regions, 2 new classes, heroes, loads of new skill and so on). For it's release price nothing ever been close in value.

Fun is impossible to measure of course so there whatever you liked best is the best expansion no matter what MMO we are talking about. But if you question is "which MMO expansion did you like best?" then a poll would be the right way to solve it as far as it can be solved.

And yes, we could discuss if GW actually is a MMORPG, but it is way more MMO then a lot of games most people consider MMOs today. 

If we are just talking Wow I guess you make a formula to see how high percentage of players started to play at launch of it and how many dropped off (or increased) after 6 months to get a hint but I think TBC would win that easily.
  • ViterzgirViterzgir Member UncommonPosts: 19
    edited November 2016
    Just NO.
    At first you think: "hey, it is so cool. there's so much of content. I have so much to do." But after 100th World Quest you'll be like "Hell no, no more this stupid, countless, worthless WQ". If you think that dungeons are fun - nope again. Well, at first you do them in Normal mode, then in Heroic, then in Mythic, then in Mythic+ (15 times). So you can do each dungeon 17 times. You think it's funny to do the same thing over and over and over and over and over again? No.
    I just realized that I've been still playing WoW just because of 1 thing - Nostalgy.
    Also, when you think that classes are more "action/fast paced" - lol no again. Most of them have 2-3 buttons (BM hunters are just easiest class in the world).
    Demon Hunter - I've been waiting for this since WC3 :D I liked the most company for Illidan back then.
    But Havoc DH is a mess. Vengeance is OK, but Havoc... actually, Havoc is realy fun in Dungeons and Raids but when go out into the Open World it becomes so unplayable... you run through the mobs, you try to run back to them, then fly through again, throw a warglaive to deal a dps a little bit, then you can press few buttons again to start jumping and running over that mob again. it's so clanky in the open world. Sure, it has awesome fantasy, cool visuals, but gameplay ruins everything. Vengeance is cool, to say once more.
    Raids and Dungeons are cool. They realy have some fun tactics. But it's just boring to do them 1000000 times. Whole boredom goes from the World Quests, tho.
    Also Legendaries ruin some part of fun. Because if you don't have a Legendary you do all this things and pray for it to drop. And when you get it you'll want the other one - because this one is not BiS. I've got a Feral's legendary for my Guardian. Now I do more DPS on packs than some DPS and they start to think that they're bad or something. But they just don't have a freaking legendary.
    I was so glad at the Legion start. But now I just cancelled my sub because of all these reasons. It's not worth my money to do same things everyday, EVERY DAY.
  • kizan0601kizan0601 Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Top 5 Expansions

1. Scars of Velious - Everquest
    2. Mines of Moria - Lord of the Rings Online
    3. Wrath of the Lich King - World of Warcraft
    4. Planes of Power - Everquest
    5. Legion - World of Warcraft
  • jeatacjeatac Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Legion is the prime example of when the life of an Tier 1 MMO has ran its course. There will always be fans that stick with and defend it since so much of their time has been invested in it. Some seem to fear change even if it is for the better. I have some excellent memories from playing WOW but I also have excellent memories from playing EQ. It is time for me to create some more "New" excellent memories in a fresh new MMORPG!
  • Koukos2004Koukos2004 Member UncommonPosts: 27
    I wrote it again ....ill repeat..wow legion is fine ..probably the best expansion and for me rng is the best feature as it is what made people LOVE diablo games...the chance on that special item ....not have to be part of an uber guild to get a good piece of equipment..im actually ilvl 862 with no mythic run and no raids besides lfr.... and i love it....BUT the WoW community has hit new low with this expansion...REALLY low...unfortunately when you combine servers any behavior has NO consequence...back in vanila if you were an a@@..everyone on the server found out about it and you had to move...or play alone...now its full of immature kids...( i don't blame the kids) that make you turn off chat and thats not an mmo anymore...you can't ask anything without being flamed or told to go to a site and read about it..... 
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    I wouldn't even know where to begin comparing expansions for different MMO's.

Apart from that, didn't like Legion that much. Making me go into dungeons for professions after I already finished those dungeons for story. Running into problems with pugs because everyone wants to rush the dungeon and ignore those side objectives for crafting quests. Only on my tank this was no problem, because they follow me then anyway :p

Quests were nice, but the thought of having to go through that again with an alt, or even start an artifact on an alt, blegh!

Also, I just can't get used to Blizzard's way of overhauling classes to the extreme and making old content useless. My brewmaster is now so boring. The tanking works, but it is so dumbed down. I miss the utility. My other tank (pally, warrior) are a snorefest now too.

I also wonder what happened with the extra attention for crafting for this xpac? All they seem to have done is adding quests to them (which is not crafting) and made recipes even more redundant. They even managed to make engineering boring.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    DMKano said:
    no
    this.

• ArticBEArticBE Member UncommonPosts: 3
    A lot of MMOs come out with paid expansions, some are pretty good, like EQ2 has amazing expansions.

But has Legion topped it all off?

Not only are they producing patches for MUCH longer than WoD (which its major fault was content death, with no patches for months and months). But they took the good from GW2 (random events, scaled leveling), took the story features from SWTOR (Suramar for one), made most classes more action based/fast paced (demon hunters are most action/fast paced)...and there is TONS of content. And the patches they ARE coming out with, are bigger and better as well. They are focusing much more on the story, but allowing content for everyone.

On top of all that, they are bringing a lot of ideas (item RNG, quests etc) from Diablo 3. Some may not like that, but for me personally, that is amazing as while Diablo 3 may have faults, a lot of the mechanics are good.

Is Legion the best WoW expansion to you? Does it, for you, top off all other paid expansions for MMOs?

Warmly,
    Tonie aka Foxy of Beyond-Eternity.com on Hyjal-US Server
  • DelphosDelphos Member UncommonPosts: 46
    edited November 2016
    Legion is by far the best WoW expac, but it's not even near being the best expac of all. Planes of Power from EQ1, Echoes of Faydwer and Rise of Kunark from EQ2 and Mines of Moria from Lotro are far better than Legion to name a few. And if you consider A Realm Reborn as expac, witch imho its pretty fair, FF XIV: ARR is by far the best expansion ever made.
  • TholdarianTholdarian Member UncommonPosts: 67
    Aori said:
    TBC is still my #1 paid expansion, nothing beats the experience then.

New features and systems included
    Heroic dungeons
    Flying mounts(To my knowledge a first in any borderless world.)
    Arena's
    Battlegroups
    LFG tool
    Voice chat(yes it was a thing and some people actually used it)

A lot of its core mainstay features came about in TBC, it is hard to top it.

Aside from the new stuff, it was just full of content, plenty to do similar to Legion but not quite the same. In TBC I was steadily working towards a goal at a nice rate. Working towards a flying mount was quite the goal and well worth it, I mean it was NEW, we've never flown off a path before!

Legion is more stop and go, there is nothing really steady about this current expansion.

Also Halaa and Hellfire outposts were the best examples of how world pvp objectives could work in WoW, Blizzard never really replicated it. I and many others really enjoyed those. Legions world PvP stuff is a joke, I just don't get it.

Not taking away from everything you've said (and there are many good and valid things), but the first MMORPG, to my knowledge, to allow flying through a borderless, but indeed way smaller than WoW's world was FlyFF. Hate it or love it, this little game introduced flying as its main feature in as early as 2004 (going from the korean release).
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    dark and light had flying too , dunno if it was the 1 ....

Legion is good , but far from the best no even top 5

• raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237
    I'm with The Burning Crusade on this one. If only for the social experience I had waiting in line at midnight to buy it. I don't think the game itself was that great given everything, but at that time MMO players socializing was at an all time high and it will forever go down as one of the best experiences had in that game. Now, not so much. I tried going back just before Legion and was bored to tears.. Dungeon Finder completely destroyed that game for me. 

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA.