Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlayStation VR set to eclipse Rift and Vive sales in the UK

MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
Sales of Sony’s PlayStation VR tech are on track to outsell the combined sales of HTC Vive and Oculus Rift, according to data tracker GfK’s October consumer panel survey. 

“Early UK sales of PlayStation VR indicate it is already approaching the combined installed base of HTC Vive and Oculus Rift. Initial PlayStation VR game sales are also positive with eight or nine boxed releases featuring in the Official UK Top 40 games chart (week ending Saturday 15th October 2016).”   

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/playstation-vr-set-to-eclipse-rift-and-vive-sales-in-the-uk/0175824

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited November 2016
    I saw a commercial yesterday with a group of friends huddled around a coffee table filled with red solo cups taking turns using the Samsung phone VR.  Drinking was heavily implied.....  Yea, get drunk and throw on the Samsung VR, lemme know how long it takes before the alcohol takes a dark turn on you. ;)

That's not a dig at the more expensive options, but Samsung is definitely not the high bar in terms of VR quality, so I imagine it wouldn't mix well with intoxication.

• Furh79Furh79 Member UncommonPosts: 185
    Psvr sales aren't anything to brag about to be honest.  It will take Sony over a year to match the amount of Kinects MS sold in 60 DAYS...
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Don't know why this news would surprise anyone except the die hard console hater lol. 

Happy with mine and looking forward to future games. 

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Furh79 said:
    Psvr sales aren't anything to brag about to be honest.  It will take Sony over a year to match the amount of Kinects MS sold in 60 DAYS...

And Sony can afford to sit back, this is just the start. 

Oh the hate is strong in this one lol. 

• Furh79Furh79 Member UncommonPosts: 185
    Furh79 said:

And Sony can afford to sit back, this is just the start. 

Oh the hate is strong in this one lol. 
    Oh look my personal stalker...

Classic a company that has lost over $10 BILLION in the last ten years can "afford" to sit back...

The ignorance is strong in this one lol
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    well the PSVR sales were a given ...

the real news is when Microsofts set eclipses them,  because microsofts set is in direct competition. 

• DishwasherSafeDishwasherSafe Member UncommonPosts: 39

the real news is when Microsofts set eclipses them,  because microsofts set is in direct competition. 
    But Microsoft could not Zune themselves out of a Surface RT with a Vista.

[Citation Needed]
    "Play Style Matters" 
    - Warren Spector ( System Shock, Deus Ex ) 

But Microsoft could not Zune themselves out of a Surface RT with a Vista.

[Citation Needed]
    well played sir lol 

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

has microsoft ever in its history out sold anyone in the consumer electronics market?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

SEANMCAD said:

has microsoft ever in its history out sold anyone in the consumer electronics market?
    Yes

SEANMCAD said:

Yes
    yeah i didnt think they did but was not sure. which one?

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

Agreed.  I saw the title of the article and my first thought was "Well.... duh!".
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Yes
     the Xbox consoles outsold a lot of other consoles on average.  The 360 outsold the PS3 worldwide for several years.  Currently more XB1's are selling than PS4's  despite Sony have a lead in market saturation, but it still outsells the wii u console.

Surface tablets are the best selling hybrid on the market today. Again, the market is saturated by iPads, however Surface tablets are growing at double the rate, and October projections of enterprise usage see Surface tablets overtaking the iPad within the next quarter.

But that still leaves dozens of other competitiors in the tablet and hybrid market that they've outsold, including samsung. 

edited November 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Yes
     the Xbox consoles outsold a lot of other consoles on average.  The 360 outsold the PS3 worldwide for several years.  Currently more XB1's are selling than PS4's  despite Sony have a lead in market saturation, but it still outsells the wii u console.

Surface tablets are the best selling hybrid on the market today. Again, the market is saturated by iPads, however Surface tablets are growing at double the rate, and October projections of enterprise usage see Surface tablets overtaking the iPad within the next quarter.

But that still leaves dozens of other competitiors in the tablet and hybrid market that they've outsold, including samsung. 
    are you saying in total aggregate of sales of all Xbox One is more the total aggregate of all sales of PS4?

'all' meaning TOTAL from beging to sales to now. not in during an undisclosed time frame

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Yes

are you saying in total aggregate of sales of all Xbox One is more the total aggregate of all sales of PS4?

'all' meaning TOTAL from beging to sales to now. not in during an undisclosed time frame

Well to begin, simply, at all points the XB1 beat out the wii u, so they are certainly outselling "someone" on the market.

This includes the surface tablets.  iPads hold the lead worldwide, and surface isn't far behind.  The problem is the saturation of the market share.  Android actually holds the largest piece of the pie, but split among dozens of manufacturers, which is really more of a reason why Apple does so well, as it is using a proprietary product.

Surface is gaining ground, and outselling the vast majority of android manufacturers.

So if the question is,  is microsoft beating ALL of its competitors in the consumer electronics market.  No.  Not yet anyways.  But are they outselling ANYONE?  Yes, at least in a few markets they are in the second spot behind Apple and Sony, and gaining ground quickly. 

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Yes

Well to begin, simply, at all points the XB1 beat out the wii u, so they are certainly outselling "someone" on the market.

This includes the surface tablets.  iPads hold the lead worldwide, and surface isn't far behind.  The problem is the saturation of the market share.  Android actually holds the largest piece of the pie, but split among dozens of manufacturers, which is really more of a reason why Apple does so well, as it is using a proprietary product.

Surface is gaining ground, and outselling the vast majority of android manufacturers.

So if the question is,  is microsoft beating ALL of its competitors in the consumer electronics market.  No.  Not yet anyways.  But are they outselling ANYONE?  Yes, at least in a few markets they are in the second spot behind Apple and Sony, and gaining ground quickly. 
    ah fair point the Wii.

I need to revise my question due to my terrible misleading error. Below is what I should have asked

Has Microsoft ever been the top seller of any consumer product they have ever been in?

SEANMCAD said:

ah fair point the Wii.

I need to revise my question due to my terrible misleading error. Below is what I should have asked

Has Microsoft ever been the top seller of any consumer product they have ever been in?

I think you'll have to revise it again.  Windows is a consumer product.  They've been the top on that too.

But that being said, if you're trying to say that Microsoft won't be "the top seller" in the VR headset market,  I think initially, you'd be correct in the sense that PSVR would still have an enormous headstart and more saturation.  But if you're speculating that they won't beat Vive or Rift or their other direct competitors, I think that would be a stretch.  

Microsoft will easily outsellf them, just on XB1 connectivity alone. 

edited November 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

ah fair point the Wii.

I think you'll have to revise it again.  Windows is a consumer product.  They've been the top on that too.

But that being said, if you're trying to say that Microsoft won't be "the top seller" in the VR headset market,  I think initially, you'd be correct in the sense that PSVR would still have an enormous headstart and more saturation.  But if you're speculating that they won't beat Vive or Rift or their other direct competitors, I think that would be a stretch.  

yes I am taking your evasion as a no to my question which despite my errors I think you know my intent.
    So I think its being rather intentionally disruptive of you given Microsofts past in this area to just casually state an implication that they will outsell Sony in the VR market without at least some explanation as to why you think this pattern would be different then others. Please do not try evasion. I take evasion as voting in my assumptions 

Has Microsoft ever been the top seller of any electronic consumer product they have ever been in?

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

ah fair point the Wii.

yes I am taking your evasion as a no to my question which despite my errors I think you know my intent.
    So I think its being rather intentionally disruptive of you given Microsofts past in this area to just casually state an implication that they will outsell Sony in the VR market without at least some explanation as to why you think this pattern would be different then others. Please do not try evasion. I take evasion as voting in my assumptions 

Has Microsoft ever been the top seller of any electronic consumer product they have ever been in?
    I didn't say they would outsell sony, I specifically said they likely wouldn't, at least initially.  But I did say they would outsell their direct competitors, meaning comparable sets on the same systems, the Vive and the Rift. 

edited November 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

ah fair point the Wii.

I didn't say they would outsell sony, I specifically said they likely wouldn't, at least initially.  But I did say they would outsell their direct competitors, meaning comparable sets on the same systems, the Vive and the Rift. 
    Here is what I am responding to:

'well the PSVR sales were a given ... the real news is when Microsofts set eclipses them, because microsofts set is in direct competition. Read more at http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/458525/playstation-vr-set-to-eclipse-rift-and-vive-sales-in-the-uk#FZzwZWU7xcbvIjMF.99'

part one of that statemenet is 'PSVR sale'
     part two of that statement is Microsoft. Its to be assumed we are talking about ouselling PSVR not something random not in the statement.

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

ah fair point the Wii.

'well the PSVR sales were a given ... the real news is when Microsofts set eclipses them, because microsofts set is in direct competition. Read more at http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/458525/playstation-vr-set-to-eclipse-rift-and-vive-sales-in-the-uk#FZzwZWU7xcbvIjMF.99'

part two of that statement is Microsoft. Its to be assumed we are talking about ouselling PSVR not something random not in the statement.
    This is a reading comprehension issue..

The title of the thread is:

"Playstation VR set to eclipse Rift and Vive sales in the UK"

My response:

The PSVR sales (eclipsing vive and rift) were a given.  -(meaning that they already are outselling the Rift and Vive worldwide)-      

I go on to say:

"The real news is when Microsofts set eclipses them (them being the Rift and the Vive)."

So  PSVR eclipsed "them"  the real news story is when Microsoft will eclipse "them".    

edited November 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

ah fair point the Wii.

This is a reading comprehension issue..

The title of the thread is:

"Playstation VR set to eclipse Rift and Vive sales in the UK"

My response:

The PSVR sales (eclipsing vive and rift) were a given.  -(meaning that they already are outselling the Rift and Vive worldwide)-      

nope your wrong on the part in bold.

Never the less lets move on with what your intent was to communicate despite it being misleading.

with my response to your intended statement is:

yes I suspect MS VR will sell very well and likely better than HTC or Oculus

• LoccozChrisLoccozChris Member UncommonPosts: 7
    First off Microsoft outsold Playstation already, they have this VR headset called the Holo Lense that dev kits are purchasable for a while now.  So if you want to get "technical" since thats what you 2 keep doing then Sony has already been beat, but they will overcome the lense I am sure.

Second, is apple #1 in anything anymore?  I am pretty sure samsung over took them in phone sales, I bet you any money dell has more laptops then apple does out there, surface is selling a lot faster now then apple in tablets I believe.  Part of apple's problem is they come up with good concepts, but poor execution.  By that I mean the restrictions they have, the profits they expect, the constant changing of the damn charging wire and using proprietary.  They also make for stupid patents, I just saw they patented a "foldable" phone, which is a spit in the face of the companies who developed bendable screens, because yea you are right apple was first to even "comprehend" this.  Just like their stupid "rounded corners on phones" patent even though every other device like gameboy had it.  Let me get out there and put a patent on contact phones, because I just came up with an idea no one thought of.... /sarcasm

As for the article it is stupid and makes no sense why someone would compare apples to oranges... You are comparing a game console that is CHEAP to a computer that in order to handle VR well needs a 400 dollar graphics card, let alone you know the whole rest of the cost of the PC which could end up costing upwards of 2k, though you can VR decent with 1k I am sure.

Secondly, lets not forget about the REST of the quality we got going here.  Consoles are always weaker than PCs, they have 1 advantage here, and that is that they have a static configuration.  It is easier to optimize when all millions of users have the same hardware vs a PC based game.  This comes with tradeoffs however in technological advancements, which simply just can't be overcome via optimizations.  These in the past and current include refresh rate cap, resolution caps, texture quality, direct x limitations due to hardware.  You just can't upgrade these and they don't come out often enough so they always lag.

Are VR headset sales for a cheap system that millions of people have going to dwarf PC's?  Absolutely, is the PC experience going to be way better with a decent gaming rig then these consoles?  GUARANTEED.

Also you keep making a big deal of first and second, being second in many things vs first in 1 is not a bad thing.  Microsoft over the past few years has been very smart, moreso then most companies.  They aquired a bunch of companies in cloud computing and have been making very good profits there.  They are starting to see the market trends and capitalize on them fast.  They stuck with the surface for a long time after its initial sales were poor, and it has grown to be a direct competitor, if not upgrade over the ipad.
    First off Microsoft outsold Playstation already, they have this VR headset called the Holo Lense that dev kits are purchasable for a while now.  .....
    I do not think that is accurate.

How many of the HoloLenses did they sell?

because Sony is selling a F TON of these PS VR headsets.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    edited November 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

Yes, with:
     -Kinect after it was launched
     -XBox 360 outsold PS3 for several years after its launch, even if Wii sold better than both of them
     -Some years ago Microsoft's keyboards, mice, and joysticks sold really well. Also their XBox controllers have sold really well. There's no official sales data available so we can't tell which competitors they outsold and on which years, but they must have outsold something with those products