Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would an MMO with Mount and Blade style combat/battles be the future for MMOs?

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
edited November 2016 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
I have yet to see an MMO with Mount and Blade style combat. And with bannerlord coming out, that could get devs some good ideas of combat done well.

I have seen LOTS of action MMOs, like BDO, TERA and even Age of Conan. But none at all have the animation and combat style of Mount and Blade.

Imagine riding a horse, chopping away. Or fighting the walls of a fortress or city walls, and needing to block, dodge, time your hits right, aim your sword or axe properly with the mouse. Surrounded by tens of thousands of people attacking the fort, trying to take it over so your empire/faction/country or whatever controls more land. Swarms of arrows are flying past you or hitting your shield as the defenders rain death upon the attackers. If you conquer it, it means more resources and players that follow you.

Imagine how epic that would be. That would be intense combat, and feel like an actual siege and the most epic battle you could find. It be like going back to the medieval days, but living through it in a game. 

That be quite an epic MMO I think. What are your guys's opinion?

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Gloria Victis
    Actually never heard of this game. I did a quick look and its on Steam. Doesn't look like it gets good reviews, but at first glance through the page, looks actually like what I had in mind lol

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Gloria Victis only has a bit of M&B combat on the attacking end (which is clunky at best) the blocking isn't directional though which imo negates the directional attacking. What is the point of having 4 directional attacking but only 1 block that covers the spectrum?

I would say the closest thing atm is Tiger Knight Empire Wars which isn't an mmo but does have co-op modes.
    Gloria Victis
    Actually never heard of this game. I did a quick look and its on Steam. Doesn't look like it gets good reviews, but at first glance through the page, looks actually like what I had in mind lol
    68% positive recent is reviewed well imo.
    Game is still in Alpha but very alive and playable. Awesome project.
    Yeah, that isn't too bad for an alpha product actually. Most alpha products the reviews are "mostly negative" and filled with complaints.

Thanks for the recommendation :) It does actually look just like what I had in mind with this post. Glad I posted this or would never have known lol.

I've added it to my wishlist, probably pick it up next month. This month too much went to other games. But its a pretty fair price for an alpha game even when not on sale.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Asheram said:
    Gloria Victis only has a bit of M&B combat on the attacking end (which is clunky at best) the blocking isn't directional though which imo negates the directional attacking. What is the point of having 4 directional attacking but only 1 block that covers the spectrum?

I would say the closest thing atm is Tiger Knight Empire Wars which isn't an mmo but does have co-op modes.
    Gloria Victis has changed quite a bit in recent weeks as evident by the rise in positive reviews.
    Tiger Knight Empire is more like a Dynasty Warriors game not Mount and Blade imo.
    Yeah GV is getting better but it still only has 1 block direction/animation.

True TK looks like DW and coop plays like it because of the bots, I only play the team death match and what I like about it is it has Mount and Blade combat- both in the attacking and the blocking + combo attacks and finisher moves.
    Tiger Knight looks fun too. I did like Dynasty Warriors when I played it on console many years ago. I like it has a PVE option for those that like that. Thanks for both recommendations though :)

Didn't realize there were a lot of games following the Mount and Blade combat style in a more MMO environment. I've been looking for games like that but came up empty. Guess I didn't google or search good enough lol

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Too many packets required for an MMO. Mount and Blade is a very bare bones game, and that tops out at a few hundred people playing together. Increasing that 100 fold is a monumental task. Age of Conan is probably the closest. They did opt for a more bandwidth friendly adaption. If you are interesting in a more involved and consequential action combat system, then I suggest Mabinogi and Vindictus.