Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE player uses $28,000 of skill injectors to create max character

Comments

• xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    Torval said:
    I'll summon the demon @Kyleran here to clarify...
    If you say his name 3 times in the front of mirror, while making fart sounds from your armpit.
    Fixed that for ya!

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381
    mgilbrtsn said:
    mgilbrtsn said:
    There is a the letter of P2W and the spirit of P2W.  Being able to pay for advantages and being able to pay for ADVANTAGES aren't all created equal.  If you can buy minor healing potions with cash, while others have to craft or find them is an advantage over people by allowing them to always have them.  This meets the letter of the law and thus, most games will meet the definition.

However, the spirit and the intent of P2W, it doesn't meet IMO.  IMO the spirit of P2W means that you are buying an actual advantage that the free players can't get through crafting or working towards.  So if you can buy a sword with properties that I just can't get in game, then I would say that you meet the intent or P2W.  If you can raise stats or other abilities that I can't get by playing, then it meets the spirit of P2W.

The fact that you can get to max level in the blink of an eye, isn't P2W IMO.  As long as when I get to that level, you don't have abilities that I can't git.

Spirit of the lawVs Letter of the law.  Almost every game will meet the letter of the law.  Not so sure about the spirit of the law.
    I get that part, but the point I was aiming at is why does it matter either way, if the person enjoys the game. I honestly wouldn't care if they put in swords that you could only get with buying it, if i enjoyed the game. It for me comes down to this, the people getting butt hurt about pay 2 win, are = to getting upset that some one in skyrim paid a modder to make it so they have everything they wanted, and calling skyrim pay 2 win. Why do people care so much about what other people are doing. Especially in the majority of these mmos, and eve online, where they are so big it just doesn't matter if another person is doing something. 
    The difference is that if you allow people to get items and abilities that your average person can't obtain, then they can unblanace the game.  Some people get off on killing and trolling others.  If you're able to buy a super ship and just lay waste to other peoples ships and take their stuff that they worked towards, you can have fun at other peoples expense without the ability to redress the act.
    I mean that already happens, there are a few groups in the game that just mass players with super ships and those groups can more or less act as they please. Everyone has the ability to get super capital ships but not everyone can get them for various reasons so the ones who have them tend to group up leaving the groups that have less with little recourse.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Erillion said:
    Erillion said:
    Albatroes said:
    "Would I rather buy a car or boost a toon??? Tough one...."
    No one used real world money for that. So your comparison lacks credibility ....

Have fun
    There are people with tons of money to throw around in their universe.  They would buy the car and boost the toon. 
    But THIS guy mentioned in the article did not.

He used in game money gained from an EVE gambling site to pay for the skill injectors.

Only last month did CCP burn down these gambling sites, declared them illegal and deleted in game money equivalent to 620.000$  coming from these sites.

Have fun
    Not that guy, but I would bet there are others who have used their own money in the same way.  Which is probably why such sites were and some probably still are around.  Real money conversion sites have been around since the early days of UO.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited November 2016
    mgilbrtsn said:
    There is a the letter of P2W and the spirit of P2W.  Being able to pay for advantages and being able to pay for ADVANTAGES aren't all created equal.  If you can buy minor healing potions with cash, while others have to craft or find them is an advantage over people by allowing them to always have them.  This meets the letter of the law and thus, most games will meet the definition.

However, the spirit and the intent of P2W, it doesn't meet IMO.  IMO the spirit of P2W means that you are buying an actual advantage that the free players can't get through crafting or working towards.  So if you can buy a sword with properties that I just can't get in game, then I would say that you meet the intent or P2W.  If you can raise stats or other abilities that I can't get by playing, then it meets the spirit of P2W.

The fact that you can get to max level in the blink of an eye, isn't P2W IMO.  As long as when I get to that level, you don't have abilities that I can't git.

Spirit of the lawVs Letter of the law.  Almost every game will meet the letter of the law.  Not so sure about the spirit of the law.
    This "spirit" of the law is stupid because it makes the term useless for most MMOs.  When people want to know if an MMO is p2w or not, they want to know if people can pay for significant advantage.  You and a few others on this forum clutter player-to-player information (which is what we should be doing as players, informing eachother so we can make good decisions on which game to play) by spending all your time arguing about bullshit like this.

There are no MMOs that I know of that allow you to buy advantages that could never be earned in 6 years, so this "spirit" bullshit of yours is completely useless, in two ways.

1st, it means we can never differentiate payment models in MMOs in a useful way for people that don't like games where people can buy significant advantage.

2nd, it completely ignores the fact that for those 6 years, the guy that paid IS going to be winning.

It's fine if you don't give a shit about p2w, or have some personal "special" definition that exempts every MMORPG, but many people do care about it.  As a fellow player, you should care about their preferences and help inform them about games you know about.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    I feel sorry for people that spend that kind of money on video games.....
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Torval said:
    I'll summon the demon @Kyleran here to clarify...
    If you say his name 3 times... :scream:
    DMKano....DMKano....DMKan.... wait this isn't a Trion mirror.  Disregard.
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    You shouldnt. It usually means they have that kind of money to burn.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited November 2016
    Pay 2 Win );

Although EVE got boring again and I quit it a long while ago again no point );.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    Then ship gets destroyed within 5 mintes.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    edited November 2016
    There are no MMOs that I know of that allow you to buy advantages that could never be earned in 6 years, so this "spirit" bullshit of yours is completely useless, in two ways.

1st, it means we can never differentiate payment models in MMOs in a useful way for people that don't like games where people can buy significant advantage.

2nd, it completely ignores the fact that for those 6 years, the guy that paid IS going to be winning.

Because you'd be hard pressed to find many with 6 years of content. Almost every one has some form of acceleration or boost, and the older an MMO is the more likely it has some feature to allow you to buy, at least once, a capped or near capped character. 

As for your contention that if someone paid out the ass for everything in EVE Online they will be "winning EVE" for the next six years, there is absolutely ZERO data to support such a crazy statement. 
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited November 2016
    mgilbrtsn said:

This "spirit" of the law is stupid because it makes the term useless for most MMOs.  When people want to know if an MMO is p2w or not, they want to know if people can pay for significant advantage.  You and a few others on this forum clutter player-to-player information (which is what we should be doing as players, informing eachother so we can make good decisions on which game to play) by spending all your time arguing about bullshit like this.

It's fine if you don't give a shit about p2w, or have some personal "special" definition that exempts every MMORPG, but many people do care about it.  As a fellow player, you should care about their preferences and help inform them about games you know about.
    We'll stop splitting hairs about the spirit of P2W as soon as people start accepting theres a difference between "winning" vs advantage.

There actually have been games that were/are truly P2W so it dilutes the term to misapply the label to every game that sells some sort of temporary advantage.

"Significant Advantage" is the key phrase here, what players want to know is how much will the selling of said advantages impact their personal playing experience?

In the case of skill injectors in EVE its very little. Same for Plex sales and character trading, mostly no impact to a players personal experience, at least so far as they can tell.

Feel free to see the P2W boogeyman behind every doorway, but some of us are never going to agree.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SirLornSirLorn Member UncommonPosts: 212
    JFC, do any of you read the replies?!  Each of you commenting on it wasn't real money but in game, YES OP said this, doesnt make him a troll, it is the equal value approx of ISK to dollars.....

I like how you all are so caught up in either tearing this down, or showing said butthurt that's mentioned by rationalizing with some angle. ok so maybe not butt hurt but bound and determined to change someone's mind on their perception of p2w, when their point is WHO CARES, if you like or love the game you play, so be it.....GG on proving his spot on observation

And how about the fact CCP is an outstanding company, I mean, you don't find a lot of dev houses, that police the duping and exploiting dynamics as well as they do, maybe it's just pride in the product and company from the fan base that makes them so prone to defend...../shrug

• hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    What you must be feeling is jealousy, that some one could dump 30 grand into a game and care less. You should feel happy for them, that they were so successful, and shared the money with the devs to keep the game going. 
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    and muscle cars, and expensive restaurants... and people who have private concerts in their 10 acre back yard? I REALLY feel sorry for them.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
    LynxJSA said:
    and muscle cars, and expensive restaurants... and people who have private concerts in their 10 acre back yard? I REALLY feel sorry for them.

I wish they would invite me to their private backyard concerts. 

Oh, and pay for my 6 annual EVE subs if they are feeling so inclined. ;)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    I predict many tears soon from the inevitable destruction 

• hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    edited November 2016
    kitarad said:
    I predict many tears soon from the inevitable destruction 
    I dono why any one would have tears. You make it sound like in eve you can lose stuff you don't want to lose. The game rules are very clear cut. It would be equal to going to the middle of the south american jungles, where you know the drug lords are, and bring your 100000 dollar watch with you, and cry that some one took it from you. 

As far as any crying in this game goes I dono why. I mean I am poor compared to most Americans, and if I lost a 15 dollar ship, or 1 billion isk it wouldnt really make me cry. Either way though, there is no other game like this, and p2w or not p2w, I am gonna play it. Not like the rich guy up there with 6 accounts haha;) But I am very happy he can do that, because he has kept the game around this long, so I can still enjoy it. 

O yeah the asteroid is depleted.......

• ZoobiZoobi Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Wizardry said:
    I am neither butt hurt nor am i in the game.Eve has been rmt driven from day 1 and for years. Many have figured the devs are in on it,no matter it is still driven by rmt,why stop now.The integrity of the game was lost long ago with both rmt activity and the crooked devs/employees.
    Lalalalala, I can't hear you, lalalalalala, he's still gonna lose ships haha, lalalalala, it doesn't matter because reasons, lalalalala, skills>skills in this game, lalalalala
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited January 2017
    Pay 2 Advance Faster / Pay 2 Enjoy right here :3...

EVE Online once a decent game but the developers taking the wrong path.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I used to feel sorry for them too. Till I met one and worked for him a couple of years. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    What you must be feeling is jealousy, that some one could dump 30 grand into a game and care less. You should feel happy for them, that they were so successful, and shared the money with the devs to keep the game going. 
    How many times does it have to be said that this guy did not in fact spend $30,000?

He spent in game money to get in game items. It would have cost him $30,000 to buy enough PLEX to get that in game money, but that's not what he did.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    I guarantee u that if you bought a max lvl toon with BiS gear in Ultima online I would monkey stomp you in my gm crafted gear that cost me nothing and take all yer stuff lol it was not pay to win. 
    Malcanis said:
    How many times does it have to be said that this guy did not in fact spend $30,000?

He spent in game money to get in game items. It would have cost him $30,000 to buy enough PLEX to get that in game money, but that's not what he did.
    Didn't I read CCP banned this guy because they decided the way he got so much ISK (running a gambling operation) broke the TOS somehow?

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    EVE is dying for a while now. It was strong so its slow and painful death. But there is no turning back. Scammers, RMTers. and finally devs... gravediggers of EVE.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    I love how people see this as an example of how EVE is P2W, in spite of the fact that the guy did this through gameplay and not by spending real money.

Logic is apparently an overrated thing...