Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE player uses $28,000 of skill injectors to create max character

hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
edited November 2016 in EVE Online
http://massivelyop.com/2016/02/15/eve-player-uses-28000-of-skill-injectors-to-create-max-character/

I want to start off saying I really don't care that this game is pay 2 win, but i find it fricken hilarious how butt hurt the people in this game get, when you tell them that. They spend hours defending how a game where you can get instant ships, skills, money, power with real money is not pay 2 win. The argument of course in their mind hinges on the fact that, its not winning cause some one who plays for 6 months or so and has some skill points can be useful in pvp.  Fact remains that if you take 2 people, one with 28 grand and one with 15 bucks, and the 2 people dueled the guy with 15 bucks with lose for the next year or more, in till he caught up slightly. I don't get why people one have to defend a clearly pay 2 win game, if they enjoy playing it, and 2 why they come up with the most crazy excuses to make it not pay 2 win for them? It is like if they ever came to reality to see the game is pay 2 win, the game wouldn't be fun for them any more. The guy in the story didn't use real money in this case, but scamming people with gambling, either way though, you could do the same thing with cash.  So really guys get over being butt hurt about a game being pay 2 win already, it anit going back to ultima online and eq days, where there were no cash shops. Even those games were pay 2 win, cause you could by a instant max character from a person. 

So i guess all I am really saying, if you like a game who cares if it is pay 2 win or not? Why make up all these weird excuses to say its not, going so far as getting angry when some one says the game is clearly pay 2 win. Add in the fact that the definition of pay 2 win is worthless, but in all mmos if you pay cash you get a advantage over some one who doesn't. The only exceptions which arent really mmos are, mobas, and a select few emulated mmos like SWGEMU, and project 1999. In any other game, you literally can max everything with cash, and have huge advantages over people who dont pay as much. 
Post edited by MikeB on

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    He ahd better know how to use those skills , or hes gonna feel awful stupid ...

A fool and his money
  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    Scorchien said:

A fool and his money
    Well he must, cause he scammed every one out of their 440 billion to buy it, he didn't use real cash. 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Scorchien said:

A fool and his money
    Well he must, cause he scammed every one out of their 440 billion to buy it, he didn't use real cash. 
    That doesnt equate to using the skills in combat Situations succesfully
  • ElirionLothElirionLoth Member UncommonPosts: 308
     Fact remains that if you take 2 people, one with 28 grand and one with 15 bucks, and the 2 people dueled the guy with 15 bucks with lose for the next year or more, in till he caught up slightly.. 
    So winning a duel is now winning in Eve?  I must be playing it wrong.  I've never even dueled anyone.
     Fact remains that if you take 2 people, one with 28 grand and one with 15 bucks, and the 2 people dueled the guy with 15 bucks with lose for the next year or more, in till he caught up slightly.. 
    So winning a duel is now winning in Eve?  I must be playing it wrong.  I've never even dueled anyone.
    Yeah yeah I know, every one can change the definition of winning to anything so there for to you its not pay 2 win, cause your definition of winning is something that could never equal p2w.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    WOW - talk about insane.

• xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    I'll summon the demon @Kyleran here to clarify..

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited November 2016
    That article is from February 2016 and so old that almost no one cares anymore.

In the meantime many others have maxxed out. And more often than not it did not make them better players ... they still lose ... just lose in more expensive ships.

And BTW many of those people with too much money for skill injectors got burned down (read: banned) by CCP last month, when the EVE gambling sites were taken down and CCP voided the equivalent of 620.000 dollar in in game currency
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/10/12/gambling-banned-in-eve-online/

Have fun

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    There is a the letter of P2W and the spirit of P2W.  Being able to pay for advantages and being able to pay for ADVANTAGES aren't all created equal.  If you can buy minor healing potions with cash, while others have to craft or find them is an advantage over people by allowing them to always have them.  This meets the letter of the law and thus, most games will meet the definition.

However, the spirit and the intent of P2W, it doesn't meet IMO.  IMO the spirit of P2W means that you are buying an actual advantage that the free players can't get through crafting or working towards.  So if you can buy a sword with properties that I just can't get in game, then I would say that you meet the intent or P2W.  If you can raise stats or other abilities that I can't get by playing, then it meets the spirit of P2W.

The fact that you can get to max level in the blink of an eye, isn't P2W IMO.  As long as when I get to that level, you don't have abilities that I can't git.

Spirit of the lawVs Letter of the law.  Almost every game will meet the letter of the law.  Not so sure about the spirit of the law.

I self identify as a monkey.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    "Would I rather buy a car or boost a toon??? Tough one...."
    Albatroes said:
    No one used real world money for that. So your comparison lacks credibility ....

Have fun
    edited November 2016
    mgilbrtsn said:
    There is a the letter of P2W and the spirit of P2W.  Being able to pay for advantages and being able to pay for ADVANTAGES aren't all created equal.  If you can buy minor healing potions with cash, while others have to craft or find them is an advantage over people by allowing them to always have them.  This meets the letter of the law and thus, most games will meet the definition.

However, the spirit and the intent of P2W, it doesn't meet IMO.  IMO the spirit of P2W means that you are buying an actual advantage that the free players can't get through crafting or working towards.  So if you can buy a sword with properties that I just can't get in game, then I would say that you meet the intent or P2W.  If you can raise stats or other abilities that I can't get by playing, then it meets the spirit of P2W.

The fact that you can get to max level in the blink of an eye, isn't P2W IMO.  As long as when I get to that level, you don't have abilities that I can't git.

Spirit of the lawVs Letter of the law.  Almost every game will meet the letter of the law.  Not so sure about the spirit of the law.
    I get that part, but the point I was aiming at is why does it matter either way, if the person enjoys the game. I honestly wouldn't care if they put in swords that you could only get with buying it, if i enjoyed the game. It for me comes down to this, the people getting butt hurt about pay 2 win, are = to getting upset that some one in skyrim paid a modder to make it so they have everything they wanted, and calling skyrim pay 2 win. Why do people care so much about what other people are doing. Especially in the majority of these mmos, and eve online, where they are so big it just doesn't matter if another person is doing something. 
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Scorchien said:

A fool and his money

So he didn't use $28,000.00 of real money?  That would make your post a trolling post.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Torval said:
    I'll summon the demon @Kyleran here to clarify...
    If you say his name 3 times... :scream:
    Thats TheSmarty, not Kyleran ....

(or his GoogleAlert ....)

Have fun
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    mgilbrtsn said:

I get that part, but the point I was aiming at is why does it matter either way, if the person enjoys the game. I honestly wouldn't care if they put in swords that you could only get with buying it, if i enjoyed the game. It for me comes down to this, the people getting butt hurt about pay 2 win, are = to getting upset that some one in skyrim paid a modder to make it so they have everything they wanted, and calling skyrim pay 2 win. Why do people care so much about what other people are doing. Especially in the majority of these mmos, and eve online, where they are so big it just doesn't matter if another person is doing something. 
    The difference is that if you allow people to get items and abilities that your average person can't obtain, then they can unblanace the game.  Some people get off on killing and trolling others.  If you're able to buy a super ship and just lay waste to other peoples ships and take their stuff that they worked towards, you can have fun at other peoples expense without the ability to redress the act.

I self identify as a monkey.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

I want to start off saying I really don't care that this game is pay 2 win, but
    You lost all credibility right there. It's obvious you are not a EVE player that has played long or has ventured outside the safety zone of highsec or a blob that protects you.

How is this game P2W?

This player is invincible now?

You only use like 1% of the skills you have when jumping into a certain ship.

And even then: he can jump in a ship worth 100 billion credits, and get tackled + kited around by a target worth 10M sp in a 50M ship he can't hit and kill.

Gather 10 noobs and 1 decent FC and they will killl him.

A win is decided by using your brain, ingame skills only help a bit.

EVE is rock paper scissors. Not skills learned > everything else.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Erillion said:
    Albatroes said:
    No one used real world money for that. So your comparison lacks credibility ....

Have fun
    There are people with tons of money to throw around in their universe.  They would buy the car and boost the toon.  

Meet a fan who has spent $30,000 on Star Citizen ships

http://www.pcgamer.com/meet-a-fan-who-has-spent-30000-on-star-citizen-ships/

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Eve is a very unique game. Having more skill points is not a linear power advancement because you can only take advantage of the skills that apply to the ship you're flying at the time. All others are effectively meaningless in terms of power if they're not benefiting you in the fight. Having 10s of millions of points in industry, Assault Frigates, Carriers, etc. isn't going to help you fly a Marauder or T3 cruiser.

Character A has 20 million skill points and Character B has 400 million. Character A has level 5 in all relevant skills for the ships he flies (let's say HACs). If Character A and B face off in HACs they are exactly the same in every way. B's advantage is that he can play a wider variety of ships, but there are thousands of other players who are all level 5 in those ships too.

If this was 2008 and people weren't already capable of matching anything this guy can do, it might be an issue, but we're long passed that point. P2W implies he is gaining some advantage that gives him an almost insurmountable difference in power, but at best he's made his character equal to existing players.

Besides, what's he going to do? Take a Titan and try to gank people? All that will do is give some enterprising corp a juicy 100+ billion ISK killmail.

Erillion said:
    Albatroes said:

Have fun
    There are people with tons of money to throw around in their universe.  They would buy the car and boost the toon. 
    But THIS guy mentioned in the article did not.

He used in game money gained from an EVE gambling site to pay for the skill injectors.

Only last month did CCP burn down these gambling sites, declared them illegal and deleted in game money equivalent to 620.000$  coming from these sites.

Have fun
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Erillion said:
    Erillion said:
    Albatroes said:

Have fun
    But THIS guy mentioned in the article did not.

He used in game money gained from an EVE gambling site to pay for the skill injectors.

Only last month did CCP burn down these gambling sites, declared them illegal and deleted in game money equivalent to 620.000$  coming from these sites.

Have fun

But, how long have they been around? If they were truly serious, anyone that used them would have been burned, like downgrading this guys toon to it's original level.

botrytis said:

But, how long have they been around? If they were truly serious, anyone that used them would have been burned, like downgrading this guys toon to it's original level.
    At least one was permabanned.

I am quite certain that not everyone that ever used these gambling sites was downgraded. I suppose that there was a cut off point not too long ago. All ISK after that was traced and removed.

But only CCP knows the full truth of the matter. We can only speculate. And plenty of people have done so, as you will found out with a short Google search.

Have fun
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Because having every possible skill in EVE does not make you better.  Flying 1 ship if you are lucky then you are able to use 3% of the available skills.  So even though he is maxed out at all skills he is only able to utilize 3% of them at a time.  So a normal player can in 6-8 months max out 3% so they will be equals when flying that particular ship type.  And the good solo pvp ships really aren't that expensive.  He will have a nice advantage in a large group because he is able to fly any of those ships that can literally take 1 year to learn.  The best analogy is big fish little pond.  Eve is an Ocean and every time someone feels like a big fish they just look around and realize they are in an ocean not a little pond.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    http://massivelyop.com/2016/02/15/eve-player-uses-28000-of-skill-injectors-to-create-max-character/

I want to start off saying I really don't care that this game is pay 2 win, but i find it fricken hilarious how butt hurt the people in this game get, when you tell them that. They spend hours defending how a game where you can get instant ships, skills, money, power with real money is not pay 2 win. The argument of course in their mind hinges on the fact that, its not winning cause some one who plays for 6 months or so and has some skill points can be useful in pvp.  Fact remains that if you take 2 people, one with 28 grand and one with 15 bucks, and the 2 people dueled the guy with 15 bucks with lose for the next year or more, in till he caught up slightly. I don't get why people one have to defend a clearly pay 2 win game, if they enjoy playing it, and 2 why they come up with the most crazy excuses to make it not pay 2 win for them? It is like if they ever came to reality to see the game is pay 2 win, the game wouldn't be fun for them any more. The guy in the story didn't use real money in this case, but scamming people with gambling, either way though, you could do the same thing with cash.  So really guys get over being butt hurt about a game being pay 2 win already, it anit going back to ultima online and eq days, where there were no cash shops. Even those games were pay 2 win, cause you could by a instant max character from a person. 

So i guess all I am really saying, if you like a game who cares if it is pay 2 win or not? Why make up all these weird excuses to say its not, going so far as getting angry when some one says the game is clearly pay 2 win. Add in the fact that the definition of pay 2 win is worthless, but in all mmos if you pay cash you get a advantage over some one who doesn't. The only exceptions which arent really mmos are, mobas, and a select few emulated mmos like SWGEMU, and project 1999. In any other game, you literally can max everything with cash, and have huge advantages over people who dont pay as much. 
    He did not in fact pay $28,000 actual dollars. He used in game items for an in game advantage.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited November 2016
    I am neither butt hurt nor am i in the game.Eve has been rmt driven from day 1 and for years. Many have figured the devs are in on it,no matter it is still driven by rmt,why stop now.The integrity of the game was lost long ago with both rmt activity and the crooked devs/employees.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    filmoret said:
    Because having every possible skill in EVE does not make you better.  Flying 1 ship if you are lucky then you are able to use 3% of the available skills.  So even though he is maxed out at all skills he is only able to utilize 3% of them at a time.  So a normal player can in 6-8 months max out 3% so they will be equals when flying that particular ship type.  And the good solo pvp ships really aren't that expensive.  He will have a nice advantage in a large group because he is able to fly any of those ships that can literally take 1 year to learn.  The best analogy is big fish little pond.  Eve is an Ocean and every time someone feels like a big fish they just look around and realize they are in an ocean not a little pond.
    I have a 2004 toon that has over 100m sp, i have several ships that are worth over a billion isk, yet when i engage in PVP, i fly ships that are worth a fraction of that, usually just frigates and cruisers, because they are cheap, and because they are fast, and because in Eve, you don't fly stuff you can't afford to lose. Having millions of sp does not make you invincible, it doesn't even make you powerful, it gives you choices, but ultimately, a fight is rarely decided by one person, but the whole team, where else can you find a game where you can join a fight with a few thousand friends to back you up.. just wish i had that many friends :p