Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elite Dangerous or wait for Star Citizen

mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
Need a community opinion.  Should I start playing Elite Dangerous or wait for SC.  I like the growth of Elite, but also the things I'm seeing hearing out of SC.

*  I'm not in the 'vaporware' camp, so please don't waste the time to use that as an argument against.  Looking more for gameplay/graphics/capabilities/substance views.

thx,

I self identify as a monkey.

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    my view is that under no circumstances wait for anything.

play what you can play now, tomorrow may never happen

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Elite's only like $30, so you really can't go wrong if you're looking for a space sim fix right now. Personally, I don't think you'll find any immediate value in putting money into Star Citizen at this point, so waiting is probably the best option for SC, but no reason you can't play Elite in the meantime. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Elite Dangerous is very decent at what it does. It has a nice variety of mechanics, all of which are in a working state. The galaxy is huge, I know several people really enjoy just flying around.

One thing missing for me, is a sense of progression. There is no bigger purpose. In the end, it is a very single-player game. As such, the progression on the personal level is not very elaborate. It solely relies on how much money you have. They tried to address this a little with the factions update, where you pick a faction and fight for it. As far as I've seen and read, it did not really mend things.

So what the core gameplay comes down to, in the end, is repeating very similar missions to get more currency. It does not have a strong social element such as EVE, so you are mostly left alone in your endeavour.

Without going into the 'vaporware' discussion, I'd say decide on the Elite purchase based on its own merit. As far as we can tell, Star Citizen could still be some time away.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    My advice would be to get Elite because it's a solid, functioning game that performs well, the amount of content and features has grown quite significantly and you don't have to consider your progress getting wiped etc.

You could then try Star Citizen during one of the free-flight weeks that they frequently do. Patch 2.6 can't be far away and that should bring some fps action but the real patch everyone is waiting for is 3.0 which should hopefully arrive before the end of the year.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Elite Dangerous.

So far Star Citizen has missed every release deadline they've set. If you start waiting on it now, chances are soon it's 2018 and you're still waiting.

Have fun with Elite dangerous now, and have fun with Star Citizen when it eventually releases.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Some good advice, I'll give Elite a try.  for only 30 bucks, i'm not out anything significant.  

I self identify as a monkey.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited September 2016
    Some people are projecting 2020 before SC is released.  Play ED now and wait to see what SC looks like before jumping in unless you like playing alpha builds.  You could also wait for a freefly weekend and try out SC for free for a weekend.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 449
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Need a community opinion.  Should I start playing Elite Dangerous or wait for SC.  I like the growth of Elite, but also the things I'm seeing hearing out of SC.

*  I'm not in the 'vaporware' camp, so please don't waste the time to use that as an argument against.  Looking more for gameplay/graphics/capabilities/substance views.

thx,

Wait for Star Citizen? Wait for Star Citizen you say? LOL Man your gonna be waiting for a Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time!

Do yourself a favor and spring for Elite and enjoy that game now because any money you spend on Star Citizen right now you will be flushing down the toilet. Do not give those people a single dime.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    mgilbrtsn said:

thx,

Wait for Star Citizen? Wait for Star Citizen you say? LOL Man your gonna be waiting for a Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time!

Do yourself a favor and spring for Elite and enjoy that game now because any money you spend on Star Citizen right now you will be flushing down the toilet. Do not give those people a single dime.

Thanks for waiting until the OP had his answer before starting with all the anti-SC rhetoric. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    It comes down to "one in the hand or two in the bush".  The things we hear out of the SC devs sound great but you cant hold words in your hand and many things they have said in the past have been radically changed (Co-Op, Star Marine releasing in weeks not months or years).  Much better off waiting to see what the launched product is like.

Elite is a solid game and you can play it now. 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    You could buy both games, play Elite:Dangerous now, it will give you something to do while your waiting for SC, which could be a few years away still. B)
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    SEANMCAD said:
    my view is that under no circumstances wait for anything.

play what you can play now, tomorrow may never happen
    Wow..i hate to actually agree with sean...but ya what he said:P
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    Start with Elite (with the Horizon update) now. Costs 30+ $ on Steam. If things get too repetitive, join a player group - restarts the experience. For the real fun (official) storylines, keep checking the official forum - as players are working together to solve puzzles (e.g. Thargoid wrecks, singing barnacles, unknown probes etc.)

Try Star Citizen for free at one of the free fly weeks. If you like what you see, get a 54 $ basic package (be sure to chose the one that includes the single player game Squadron 42 besides the multiplayer part PU Persistent Universe).

Have fun

• LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    I really enjoy elite, I'm taking a break from it atm though. It takes some learning and getting use to but once you get a handle of it and find what you enjoy in the game then its great. I tried trading, route missions and was getting very bored very fast. What sparked life in the game for me was the hazard areas and mining belts. Bounty hunting that way was my cup of tea for sure. One thing that I didn't like is when you get a new ship you cant really feel the sense of size when you upgrade, everything seems the same size when your flying by it, only way to really see a difference in the ships is if you happen to own a vr headset. Sounds off but its really true, I would tell my friends that your starter ship when in combat doesn't look small compared to the anaconda. It really felt like each ship was a one size fits all then you put the headset on and the scale comes into play. Oh and weapon variety could be better.

SC looks and sounds great but why pass on a good priced, solid, working game that is here now. Other games might sounds good on paper but upon release don't produce at all.

In Elite one thing to think about is to set goals and milestones for yourself. That way you have something to work for and when you get it, its like a self gratifying achievement instead of a check in a quest log you'll soon forget about. Ugh looks like I'm going to have to jump back in now, thanks a lot!
  • picommanderpicommander Member UncommonPosts: 256
    edited November 2016
    Not waiting can sometimes be the right decision. Won't help the OP but as an early beta backer (aka couldn't wait...) I also got an early life time pass at a keen price at this time. Usually I'm in the 'wait-camp' but here I've made one of the best exceptions/decisions in my life! :) Just mind you: This game is not for everyone. A sentence so true for EVE is even more valid for Elite Dangerous (don't get me wrong: both games are polar opposites). Very likely you'll either love it or hate it, most unlikely something in between.

The reason I don't talk about SC is because I'm not (and never was) interested in this game.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Make sure you don't go into Elite thinking you will sit down and fly the ship in 10 minutes.  The controls and keys things are bound to are not easy to understand.  Landing the ship is a PIA and somewhat time consuming.  I mistakenly thought it would be something like tie fighter or X wing...it is not.  It is like what flying a actual spaceship would be like (I assume)...tedium and all.
  • RedsaltRedsalt Member UncommonPosts: 83
    I am likeing this game a lot.   I agree with the idea, play something that is available now, SC looks to be a long way off.    I am hopeing that they will continue to add more features to the game. I went in with the mindset that I would have to create my own goals to make it enjoyable. 

I am waiting for SQ42, so this gives me something to do that is "space related".  I like the fact that there is no  leveling of skills other then the upgrade crafting with "Engineers".  I may have to look for a player group to join at some point, if I decide to play the game long term.

Redsalt... the other salt.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited November 2016
    I've only started the game.  The most fun I've had is running around on a low gravity planet in the SRV hoping not to die when I shoot off a ridge and it takes 10 seconds before I can see whether or not I'll land upright.  That and shooting up a settlement and being rewarded for 1.2 million credits spread over 3 missions from the same faction for blowing up a single power plant.   I'll have that Viper 4 kitted out in no time.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • 2d8bit2d8bit Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Elite: Dangerous is great if you're looking for a Space Truckin' Simulator.
    Not at all necessary, but a $40 Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X goes great with this game.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    2d8bit said:
    Not at all necessary, but a $40 Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X goes great with this game.
    I've got a MS Sidewinder 2 Force Feedback that I've been able to program it's inputs in the controls section.  But I haven't been able to actually get it to work in game.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    2d8bit said:
    I've been debating on spending the cash on Elite and a nice joystick setup to go along with it...  It's just a lot more than the usual outlay to try a game that I may not enjoy, so I've been weary.

I love the way Frontier is doing it, and I think it's the right way to do crowd-funding: start small, build a strong foundation and give it to the players to begin getting feedback, then add to it.

Still debating it in my head.  Wish Frontier would partner with Thrustmaster and offer me a nicely priced package for the whole setup. ;)

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Don't by any means feel that a flightstick is a necessity, plenty of people prefer kb+m and gamepads can be made to work quite nicely. Although it must be said that most people really appreciate a flightstick once they have tried it.

Good time to get the game if you're interested, only £13 or something silly.