Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reality check for those pushing VR way too hard

Comments

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    Some of the hype are drive by investors or VR companies.

Even if it's not true people like that will hype how ever possible.

• krgwynnekrgwynne Member UncommonPosts: 119
    vr is the future while it still has a long way to go it is in no way a niche product.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,179
    krgwynne said:
    vr is the future while it still has a long way to go it is in no way a niche product.
    ....based on what?  At the moment it is exactly the definition of a niche product

krgwynne said:
    ....based on what?  At the moment it is exactly the definition of a niche product

Shit. Pedantic Spidey Sense tingling...  I would have to say that a true niche product is one that would always only appeal to a specialized customer base. That's not how I see VR. While it is certainly bleeding edge tech right now so only early adopters are fiddling with it, the VR industry has the potential once perfected to be popular in a vast range of entertainment industries, centers of learning, etc. I couldn't comfortably label something niche simply because its still in its technological infancy and has yet to reach its full potential.
    Why not?  What VR may become isn't what VR is now.  VR as it is now is nothing more than a niche.  Hence.. why I said "At the moment"  and I'm not the only one that thinks so, there are plenty of articles specifically stating VR is currently a niche.

The fact of the matter is,  VR may eventually have some mainstream capabilities, but how are those capabilities going to outshine in a world where MR is also present?

I think that's where people will have to start making a distinction as to what's going to really take hold in the mainstream as opposed to what you can expect from a niche.  

Will VR really impact gaming?  Maybe.. but will it impact gaming more than MR?

Both technologies are technically in their infancy, but take notice that by 2020 all analyst reports point to MR tripling the sales of VR... and they don't even have a consumer set on the market yet.

• garrettgarrett MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 284
    VR is still considered niche even in gaming.
     :p 
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    oh holy smokes I missed this thread I was too busy reading about all the VR arcades that are currently being built all over the world and movie theathers.

sorry about that

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    krgwynne said:
    Its the future like Wii, Move, and Kinect were the future.......
    krgwynne said:
    none of which had world wide arcades under construction of which that sector alone is several million dollars worth of investment

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    edited November 2016
    Furh79 said:
    So there are a few posters here who are all in on the VR hype train.  They like to lie and say the psvr has sold 2 million units when in FACT the 2 million units is only a projection of what Sony hopes to sell by the end of the year.  

Let's put this in prospective a little bit as these VR fanbois are clearly blinded by their own desperation to push VR.  Sony made the announcement about potentially selling 2 million units by the end of the year in October...that's three months to sell 2 million units.  When Xbox launched the Kinect they sold 8 MILLION UNITS IN 60 days.  Guinness book actual gave them the fastest selling consumet electric device award for that feat.  So by Sonys own admission it may take a year to sell as many psvr as Xbox sold Kinects in 60 days.  And it's safe to say the psvr will take years to sell the 24 MILLION Kinects Xbox sold. 

Sorry guys VR is a small niche product that the majority of gamers and the public just are not interested in. 

I don't give a shit what you think and the numbers, I've got one and am happy with it and looking foward to future vr games. 

How are you any different from people pushing vr and you denouncing it?

Go get laid. 

• NibsNibs Member UncommonPosts: 287
    SEANMCAD said:
    krgwynne said:
    none of which had world wide arcades under construction of which that sector alone is several million dollars worth of investment
    There's a huge diferrence between commercial VR and domestic VR.

Those arcades, theatres etc that are being build are a massive risk for the investors (they could flop) and  also extremely expensive to build and equip.

The experience of playing CoD/BF/horror thingy_of_scariness in a VR setup that costs (tens of) thousands, whilst also using one of those frankly awesome platform things that allows you to actually run and jump and crouch, is VASTLY superior to what the average person is going to get at home.

Would I pay to go to state of the art VR arcade? Hell yeah. It'll be awesome.

Am I going to get any kind of VR kit for at home? Dear gods, no. It simply won't live up to the experience I want from VR.

We need to start splitting this discussion into commercial VR and domestic VR as anyone saying that "VR will fail" is just as daft as anyone saying "VR is the future". Both options, at this point, are still entirely possible.

At the moment domestic VR is a niche product. There's nothing to stop a niche product becoming the next big thing though...Just look at WoW.

Commercial VR hasn't really kicked off yet. There are quite a few things planned, some amazing ideas that people are trying to get up and running, but it also isn't anyting big yet. YET.
    edited November 2016
    Nibs said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    krgwynne said:
    There's a huge diferrence between commercial VR and domestic VR......
    sorry to cut you off there but I have to let you know that about 1/2 of them are HTC Vive gear.

also.I should mention about 9 months ago I predicted there would be VR arcades and I was told on these forums that I was basically nuts for thinking that.

edited November 2016
    Roller Coasters can be considered "Mainstream" if you consider everyone knows about them, and tens of thousands ride them daily.

But consumer roller coasters aren't very popular.

Mainstream VR in the commercial sector will be similar if it makes it to "mainstream" at all.  VR arcades are untested.. they've had VR games in arcades for years before these sets.  They didn't prevent the Gaming Arcade from crashing completely across north america.

A VR arcade could be a novel idea, but mainstream? Not even in the least.  A consumer success?  Only currently if you consider the mobile market.  

Otherwise.. VR is the definition of a niche. 

edited November 2016
    Roller Coasters can be considered "Mainstream" if you consider everyone knows about them, and tens of thousands ride them daily.

Mainstream VR in the commercial sector will be similar if it makes it to "mainstream" at all.  VR arcades are untested.. they've had VR games in arcades for years before these sets.  They didn't prevent the Gaming Arcade from crashing completely across north america.

A VR arcade could be a novel idea, but mainstream? Not even in the least.  A consumer success?  Only currently if you consider the mobile market.  

are you aware of how much that sounds like predictable backpelling?
     'vr is going to fail before it get started'
    'oh i mean not sony'
     'oh I mean not arcades that I thought was never going to happen but now i do'

(not you specifically) so yeah...revise , change, carve, scale back alter... as predicted

SEANMCAD said:

'oh i mean not sony'

(not you specifically) so yeah...revise , change, carve, scale back alter... as predicted
    the problem is, all we know is what is happening right now.  So far PSVR hasn't sold their 2M units.  The Vives last sales release was at under 200K,  and VR arcades aren't popping up in several places around the various US cities.

We're far from calling anything related to VR a success.  I mean.. again,  apart from the mobile space, which was doing VR before the Rift, Vive and PSVR was even out.

SEANMCAD said:

'oh i mean not sony'

the problem is, all we know is what is happening right now.  So far PSVR hasn't sold their 2M units.  The Vives last sales release was at under 200K,  and VR arcades aren't popping up in several places around the various US cities.

We're far from calling anything related to VR a success.  I mean.. again,  apart from the mobile space, which was doing VR before the Rift, Vive and PSVR was even out.
    so yeah I understand you have a problem understanding that
    'news story of an investment in content'
    and
    'why isnt it out the next day'

but its the same story with arcade VR. The big sign that says 'under construction' means exactly that.

also...seems like your backpeddling on what you said not but 30 mins ago

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

'oh i mean not sony'

and

but its the same story with arcade VR. The big sign that says 'under construction' means exactly that.

where did I contradict myself specifically?  Please post the exact quotes. 

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

'oh i mean not sony'

and

not a contradiction, but rather backpelling. first you seem to suggest it seems obvious the VR arcades would work and do well. then you suggest they are not getting built

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

'oh i mean not sony'

and

not a contradiction, but rather backpelling. first you seem to suggest it seems obvious the VR arcades would work and do well. then you suggest they are not getting built
    I see how you might get that, but I think I was very clear  when I said,  " Mainstream VR in the commercial sector will be similar if it makes it to "mainstream" at all."   Meaning I do not believe that commercial arcades are currently mainstream, like some might consider a roller coaster.  

I know they are not getting built.  At least not *widespread* in the U.S.  I bet there's a californian company out there making a little vr arcade or something.    

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

'oh i mean not sony'

and

I see how you might get that, but I think I was very clear  when I said,  " Mainstream VR in the commercial sector will be similar if it makes it to "mainstream" at all."   Meaning I do not believe that commercial arcades are currently mainstream, like some might consider a roller coaster.  

I know they are not getting built.  At least not *widespread* in the U.S.  I bet there's a californian company out there making a little vr arcade or something.    
    I really do not want to get into a debate with you on what is or is not mainstream. namely because I dont give a shit nor is it related to this topic.

• Furh79Furh79 Member UncommonPosts: 185
    Furh79 said:
    So there are a few posters here who are all in on the VR hype train.  They like to lie and say the psvr has sold 2 million units when in FACT the 2 million units is only a projection of what Sony hopes to sell by the end of the year.  

Let's put this in prospective a little bit as these VR fanbois are clearly blinded by their own desperation to push VR.  Sony made the announcement about potentially selling 2 million units by the end of the year in October...that's three months to sell 2 million units.  When Xbox launched the Kinect they sold 8 MILLION UNITS IN 60 days.  Guinness book actual gave them the fastest selling consumet electric device award for that feat.  So by Sonys own admission it may take a year to sell as many psvr as Xbox sold Kinects in 60 days.  And it's safe to say the psvr will take years to sell the 24 MILLION Kinects Xbox sold. 

Sorry guys VR is a small niche product that the majority of gamers and the public just are not interested in. 

I don't give a shit what you think and the numbers, I've got one and am happy with it and looking foward to future vr games. 

Go get laid. 
    Clearly you do...you've been following me around this site for about a week now...it's getting rather weird to tell you the truth. 
  • SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788
    VR for the average gamer has turned out to be niche as hell.  And that's reinforced with all the VR 'experts' now suggesting virtual tourism and arcades as the potential 'bright spots' (instead of mainstream gaming as originally predicted) .

• DocbootDocboot Member UncommonPosts: 18
    After 4 months the HTC Vive is still the best toy I have ever owned!
  • DishwasherSafeDishwasherSafe Member UncommonPosts: 39
    VR is a niche and has very limited game genres it will work with in any meaningful way. Games have to be very carefully tailored to the VR experience and motion sickness is one of the worst things that can happen to a VR game. 

VR will be successful in business as it has always been. It has and will be used in Architectural visualisation. Virtual tours of Museeums, Art and probably even vacations. It will be successful in a new "Second World" type virtual reality and it will find some use in porn.

If you want to bet on a horse then bet on AR. It has thousands of real world applications, it is social, it is enhancing your life and it is not intrusive. AR is the VHS of this generation.

[Citation Needed]
    "Play Style Matters" 
    - Warren Spector ( System Shock, Deus Ex ) 
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Furh79 said:
    Furh79 said:

Go get laid. 
    Clearly you do...you've been following me around this site for about a week now...it's getting rather weird to tell you the truth. 

Really, I don't remember one name to the next, I quote and move on. Now obviously if a person continues to make dumb post/threads then it would seem I'm quoting them a lot. 

So if you're thinking you are special than I've got bad news for you, you're not. 

• madmick52madmick52 Member CommonPosts: 2
    I am sitting in my room looking at this webpage on a wall sized screen in VR..on the VIVE  I also have the DK1 and DK2 Oculus ...So yes I am all in as regards to VR...this from a 59 year old ...So do I care or get angry about VR being the next big thing or not ..NO because I won't be around ...I am just enjoying the moment and in that moment to me VR is awesome