Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The way F2P MMO's price their content is pure Cringe

I mean good god, just look at that.

Its like their marketing team just decided.

Hey you know what? Lets just through a bunch of REALLY big numbers up on a screen.

Like Yeah 33,500 Points = $200! 

Yeah! IT cant fail guys! 

There is no way anyone can defend this, I mean look dont get me wrong, someone WILL defend this. Because everyone has to have a counter opinion about something regardless of its lack of basis within reality, but NO ONE that has gone past Grade 10 of high school can look at this and

1. Understand it.
2. Give a crap about what they are serving because its so arbitrary and poorly presented.

Comments

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    You should watch Angry Joe's review of DC Legends.  I couldn't even believe my damn eyes when he proved how much a single hero costs in that game.  It's a shitty ass mobile game and the cost per hero is jaw dropping.  Sure it's not an MMO, but it is a good example of in-game purchasing gone completely fucking mad.
  • sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    H0urg1ass said:
    You should watch Angry Joe's review of DC Legends.  I couldn't even believe my damn eyes when he proved how much a single hero costs in that game.  It's a shitty ass mobile game and the cost per hero is jaw dropping.  Sure it's not an MMO, but it is a good example of in-game purchasing gone completely fucking mad.
    Hell yeah man, ill watch it right now. Thanks.
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    did you honestly just make a thread complaining about a thanksgiving sale being too generous???

or is it because 5 figure numbers frighten and confuse you??
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    edited November 2016
    in the middle earth TP points is all what matters
  • OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    Roughly 1 "point" per cent is pretty typical and understandable. Allows the price to be just as granular in their token currency as the actual currency.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    I don't  know what is difficult to understand. The price  is listed and what you get  is listed. Seems easy to me. 
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878

NO ONE that has gone past Grade 10 of high school can look at this and

1. Understand it.
    2. Give a crap about what they are serving because its so arbitrary and poorly presented.
    So, based on your post, your logic is:
    The more higher their grade are, the more people can't get past this simple math calculation.

See, I'm not defending Turbine, I'm defending common sense here. When you don't give any crap about anything, you don't make a dedicated thread for that crap. From this simple reason I conclude that:

1. You actually DO give a crap about Turbine marketing their points.
    2. You hasn't gone past grade 10 of high school.

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    I don't  know what is difficult to understand. The price  is listed and what you get  is listed. Seems easy to me. 

/win the thread.  Pricing has been defended.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    You don't have to agree with it but as long as people keep spending the money, the prices will go up.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Looks like they are trying to squeeze as much out of the game as they can before they have to shut it down, its deplorable behaviour, but, F2P games, what can you do, they are all mostly like that. :o
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    edited November 2016
    waynejr2 said:

/win the thread.  Pricing has been defended.

Argue about the price all  you want. Everything is stated though. There is nothing misleading or  hard to understand about this. 
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    I don't see how this is different from what you get in any other F2P cash shop, but it shows where we are now with MMOs, it shows that all that matters is the money a player can afford to give the game.
  • DishwasherSafeDishwasherSafe Member UncommonPosts: 39
    I think those are great deals. With the biggest package you not only get 167.5 points per $ you also save $154.97 which you get in the from of 21,000 bonus points so you essentially only pay an incredible cheap $45.02 for 33,500 points. How is that not a fantastic deal?

[Citation Needed]
    "Play Style Matters" 
    - Warren Spector ( System Shock, Deus Ex ) 
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    Interesting points... I have to ask though. Doesn't Turbine give points just for playing their games? I remember buying some D&DO stuff this way. Albeit much slower than just paying for more points.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited November 2016
    1. Understand it.
    Colour me puzzled (maybe just lost in translation) but I'm stucked at point 1.
    :wink:
    As in, what's the point of the post? Or at least, why now? They're selling TPs since the f2p switch (that's 7 years now), and they're doing it with those prices.
    Maybe it's the bonus points? Those are also there quite frequently, every couple months they're giving bonus points with the purchase.
    Or that it isn't enough for a Black Friday? Sure, but there are sales on the in-game and the web store as well (Quad pack for 10 bucks, for example, that's a great deal).

So, yeah. Don't really understand the anger and the timing, but hey, to each their own :wink:
    (for the record, I won't buy TPs from this sale, since I'm mostly set, but as far as I know most people only buy TPs during these sales)

Interesting points... I have to ask though. Doesn't Turbine give points just for playing their games? I remember buying some D&DO stuff this way. Albeit much slower than just paying for more points.
    Yep, they do, and much more than in DDO, especially with a change in the lower regions not long ago. TP purchase is mostly for the convenience, but with grind you can get the entire game for free.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited November 2016
    Typical, though if they price things too low there's usually more people complaining.

It's like GW2 if they priced Gems too low, everybody would get cheap chop Legendaries just by converting currency or getting premium items that have those random drops. And that'd be RIP economy.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    H0urg1ass said:
    Same company.
  • Furh79Furh79 Member UncommonPosts: 185
    edited November 2016

I mean good god, just look at that.

Its like their marketing team just decided.

Hey you know what? Lets just through a bunch of REALLY big numbers up on a screen.

Like Yeah 33,500 Points = $200! 

Yeah! IT cant fail guys! 

There is no way anyone can defend this, I mean look dont get me wrong, someone WILL defend this. Because everyone has to have a counter opinion about something regardless of its lack of basis within reality, but NO ONE that has gone past Grade 10 of high school can look at this and

1. Understand it.
    The OP is cringe worthy on so many levels. 

1. Stop crying 
    2. They give you points every month when you sub
    3. You can gain Points by just playing the game
    4. Nobody cares what you think
    5. If you are going to say a person hasn't passed the 10th grade because they do something you don't agree with it's probably a good idea not to screw up something like THROUGH/THROW/THREW no worries I have a link you can go THROUGH to help you out. 

http://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-threw-and-vs-through/
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Scot said:
    I don't see how this is different from what you get in any other F2P cash shop, but it shows where we are now with MMOs, it shows that all that matters is the money a player can afford to give the game.

Rue the day when devs just asked for a monthly sub and the whole game was available. How any preferred this method over the old is beyond me. 

• SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    Scot said:

Rue the day when devs just asked for a monthly sub and the whole game was available. How any preferred this method over the old is beyond me. 
    Not many [companies] followed that trend of just paying the monthly fee, you usually had to shell out for expansions. With a few exceptions. System was great for newcomers in EQ/EQ2 (All-in-one package every expansion).

Thinking about it, World of Warcraft still does this without offering an All-In-One deal.

Other than the now constant marketing in your face free to play games have, the amount paid hasn't really changed -- in some cases lower. 

Turbine has done a pretty smart move though opening up the ability to gain cash-shop points just by playing the game. Would be cool to see other companies follow suit. Their free to play model was one of the first and best.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Scot said:

I don't see why a sub is needed (don't forget you still have to buy the game). Why not just B2P - that works for me.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited November 2016

I get it Sludgebeard,

Unfortunately not many do here on this site or they have an " everything is good no matter what " attitude.

So many people here can't do the math and look at the big picture.....The big picture is perplexing to them.

In your example of LOTRO, I see no deal at all for short term NONE !.... On the other side of the coin, I see $200 that would give a player almost life time subscription.... But that's $200.... How is that a blow out sale !.... Add to the fact, this deal locks the player into " better like the game forever or no deal ".

Since I'm between games right now, I'm thinking about playing around with LOTRO.  I'm starving for a community mmo.  In the back of my mind, I know nothing will come of it after a few weeks, so I'll proceed with caution. I'm expecting a bunch of totally free players and as I advance the population will drop to nothing.....Like the free players I'll not give Turbine a dime until I see what's going on.

History with F2P games, tells me it will not be good !

In real life, this is how people think:

My girlfriend and here daughter make very little money. The daughter took an apartment in the summer not thinking ahead about the winter heat bills.  She cant afford the rent as it is, so the girlfriend is helping out what little she can................Yet, their both shopping like crazy ( shopping feels good ) ! 

Here's the real kicker:

If I told someone about how bad it is they would say drop the girlfriend.....That's the advice I would get. 

Yet their doing the same exact thing !................For some strange reason, this is 95% of the population.

edited November 2016

I get it Sludgebeard,

Unfortunately not many do here on this site or they have an everything is good no matter what attitude.

So many people here can't do the math and look at the big picture.....The big picture is perplexing to them.

In your example of LOTRO, I see no deal at all for short term NONE !.... On the other side of the coin, I see $200 that would give a player almost life time subscription.... But that's $200.... How is that a blow out sale !.... Add to the fact, this deal locks the player into " better like the game forever or no deal ".

Since I'm between games right now, I'm thinking about playing around with LOTRO.  I'm starving for a community mmo.  In the back of my mind, I know nothing will come of it after a few weeks, so I'll proceed with caution. I'm expecting a bunch of totally free players and as I advance the population will drop to nothing.....Like the free players I'll not give Turbine a dime until I see what's going on.

My girlfriend and here daughter make very little money. The daughter took an apartment in the summer not thinking ahead about the winter heat bills.  She cant afford the rent as it is, so the girlfriend is helping out what little she can................Yet, their both shopping like crazy ( shopping feels good ) ! 

Here's the real kicker:

If I told someone about how bad it is they would say drop the girlfriend.....That's the advice I would get. 

Yet their doing the same exact thing !................For some strange reason, this is 95% of the population.

Then the GF and daughter are not 'realistic' and being with them is part of the problem. Reality checks are important for people.

This is just like F2P games. You do not have to buy anything (unless it is P2W and there are many out there). Play and enjoy. You don't have to buy. Why bother worrying what other people do, they need to be responsible for themselves.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    botrytis said:

I get it Sludgebeard,

Unfortunately not many do here on this site or they have an everything is good no matter what attitude.

Here's the real kicker:

Then the GF and daughter are not 'realistic' and being with them is part of the problem. Reality checks are important for people.

This is just like F2P games. You do not have to buy anything (unless it is P2W and there are many out there). Play and enjoy. You don't have to buy. Why bother worrying what other people do, they need to be responsible for themselves.

Great perfect example !

Re-read " Here's the real kicker " part of my post.

It's easy as an outsider to be sensible......But ask yourself.  Are you doing the same exact thing ?

Are you part of the 95% or the 5% ? 

botrytis said:

I get it Sludgebeard,

Here's the real kicker:

Great perfect example !

Re-read " Here's the real kicker " part of my post.

It's easy as an outsider to be sensible......But ask yourself.  Are you doing the same exact thing ?

Are you part of the 95% or the 5% ? 

You can only help people when they help themselves. Dealing with a family member, who is an alcoholic, no amount of help would change anything until they decided to change. This is the issue.