Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star CitizenSchedule, 2.6 release aimed at 8th Dec.

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    edited November 2016
    Poor little Timmy can't come to school this week, but here are some more notes from his mother explaining why he isn't well enough yet. :p

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited November 2016
    So I get it, you guys whining when CIG doesn't announce or clarify delays and detailed status of the updates. (what absolutely is a legit complaint btw)

Now that there's exactly that, let's all whine that internal dates are just that and not official rock solid release dates (though the point of the page is stated to NOT be that).

Whelp! Better go complaint to CIG reverse all this and go back to do what they were doing, "soon, we're working on it" as we expect it to release at any moment... meanwhile internally it's already delayed past the dates given publicly.

wanderica said:
    Still people complain though. . . 
    Because nothing is positive and everything is and shall forever be negative; or at least painted as such. For those with the interest into only do that of course.
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    MaxBacon said:
    So I get it, you guys whining when CIG doesn't announce or clarify delays and detailed status of the updates. (what absolutely is a legit complaint btw)

Now that there's exactly that, let's all whine that internal dates are just that and not official rock solid release dates (though the point of the page is stated to NOT be that).

Whelp! Better go complaint to CIG reverse all this and go back to do what they were doing, "soon, we're working on it" as we expect it to release at any moment... meanwhile internally it's already delayed past the dates given publicly.

wanderica said:
    Because nothing is positive and everything is and shall forever be negative; or at least painted as such. For those with the interest into only do that of course.
    It's nice that you paint backers as whiners when they were promised open development and to be kept in the loop about things that were happening with the project.

Don't attack the backers when they are just asking for what they were promised(and AtV is not good info, it's a dog and pony show at this point)
    edited November 2016
    Kefo said:
    It's nice that you paint backers as whiners when they were promised open development and to be kept in the loop about things that were happening with the project.
    lol nice twist, that's why I actually put "For those with interest into only doing that of course.", I'm not mentioning the backers and their feedback. I'm mentioning a specific group of people dedicated into spread negativity and paint everything as negative, those who never, ever, due their own reasons, say anything that isn't negative towards SC/CIG.

As for the overall community feedback, as we seen on recent events and their response to them, is the one that should be heard and acted upon; comparing to how they were dealing with stuff 1 year ago, things have taken steps on the right direction. Even the ATV you just mentioned, the formats changed because of criticism due how empty and hollow the shows did get (art sneak peak much?), and as we seen the move was taken to more footage, with more depth and technical dives into design/tech/features; the main points of the criticism leveled at them.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    edited November 2016
    Not enough for the terminal haters.  Waiting for someone to complain they are wasting development funds tracking development.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:

wanderica said:

Don't attack the backers when they are just asking for what they were promised(and AtV is not good info, it's a dog and pony show at this point)

You're assuming that the majority of people whining are backers. Based on these forums it's been my experience that's quite the opposite. I know it seems counter-intuitive that people care waaaay too much about something they have zero vested interest in, but that's pretty much the Internet. 

Also, please don't parade around like they aren't open. They've been open since the beginning and they give more updates than most projects, to their own detriment most of the time. While I'd like to believe that open development works, the only real evidence we've seen to date is that if the gaming community at large hates you, then you will be crucified with information, if they love you then they'll be over the moon with whatever you say, regardless of the news. CU is the perfect example. Pantheon is another. Actually Pantheon was caught up in an ACTUAL scandal at the very beginning of the project. There was some uproar over it, but it almost immediately went right back to unicorns and rainbow farts. 

In the end, open development doesn't really serve to help anyone, it only ever really serves as ammunition for the few detractors who have dedicated waaay too much time to investigating every nook and cranny of a project, every word said, and every action that would allow them to read something into it. Meanwhile, the vast majority of people, the people who actually gave money to them, give exactly zero fucks about open development at all. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:

wanderica said:

You're assuming that the majority of people whining are backers. Based on these forums it's been my experience that's quite the opposite. I know it seems counter-intuitive that people care waaaay too much about something they have zero vested interest in, but that's pretty much the Internet. 

Also, please don't parade around like they aren't open. They've been open since the beginning and they give more updates than most projects, to their own detriment most of the time. While I'd like to believe that open development works, the only real evidence we've seen to date is that if the gaming community at large hates you, then you will be crucified with information, if they love you then they'll be over the moon with whatever you say, regardless of the news. CU is the perfect example. Pantheon is another. Actually Pantheon was caught up in an ACTUAL scandal at the very beginning of the project. There was some uproar over it, but it almost immediately went right back to unicorns and rainbow farts. 

In the end, open development doesn't really serve to help anyone, it only ever really serves as ammunition for the few detractors who have dedicated waaay too much time to investigating every nook and cranny of a project, every word said, and every action that would allow them to read something into it. Meanwhile, the vast majority of people, the people who actually gave money to them, give exactly zero fucks about open development at all. 
    I would assume the people on CIG's forums with badges showing their pledge levels are backers. I also never said the majority of backers but if my post came across that way my apologies.

CIG is open to an extent. You see a crapload of good information come out when they are doing damage control(lately anyway) but a lot of it is just fluff and they aren't really telling you anything. Much like when Chris talks he is really good at talking for the sake of talking but he doesn't really give a lot of insight unless you are looking to see just how disorganized he is.

If CIG can't take the heat from some people bitching at them then they shouldn't have promised open development. Since it was a selling point with the Kickstarter then they need to suck it up, dig down deep and find a pair of balls to keep the promises to their backers instead of going quiet because they don't want to have to deal with the fallout.

Pantheon still isn't all farts and rainbows there are still people who bring up the money issue with Brad and the dev team has gone through some changes.
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    lol nice twist, that's why I actually put "For those with interest into only doing that of course.", I'm not mentioning the backers and their feedback. I'm mentioning a specific group of people dedicated into spread negativity and paint everything as negative, those who never, ever, due their own reasons, say anything that isn't negative towards SC/CIG.

As for the overall community feedback, as we seen on recent events and their response to them, is the one that should be heard and acted upon; comparing to how they were dealing with stuff 1 year ago, things have taken steps on the right direction. Even the ATV you just mentioned, the formats changed because of criticism due how empty and hollow the shows did get (art sneak peak much?), and as we seen the move was taken to more footage, with more depth and technical dives into design/tech/features; the main points of the criticism leveled at them.
    You never said that with the whiners part. I probably should have edited out our other response to someone but I was responding to the main body of your post.

That said let's hope they learned their lesson and they start actually giving some good information to backers and they lock Chris in a back room with no phone or Internet access
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Kefo said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:

wanderica said:

I would assume the people on CIG's forums with badges showing their pledge levels are backers. I also never said the majority of backers but if my post came across that way my apologies.

CIG is open to an extent. You see a crapload of good information come out when they are doing damage control(lately anyway) but a lot of it is just fluff and they aren't really telling you anything. Much like when Chris talks he is really good at talking for the sake of talking but he doesn't really give a lot of insight unless you are looking to see just how disorganized he is.

If CIG can't take the heat from some people bitching at them then they shouldn't have promised open development. Since it was a selling point with the Kickstarter then they need to suck it up, dig down deep and find a pair of balls to keep the promises to their backers instead of going quiet because they don't want to have to deal with the fallout.

Pantheon still isn't all farts and rainbows there are still people who bring up the money issue with Brad and the dev team has gone through some changes.

Lol, you'd assume that people on there are backers. However, how many are pre-2015 backers? Remember that the game blew up in 2015 with all the DS bullshit. I don't think they have a problem with people giving them heat. I think that's probably a good thing. However, I don't think that people bringing up valid arguments is a problem, either. Missed deadlines is one argument I'd toss in that bucket. Like, fuck, even on the eve of the Star Citizen release, I'm sure people will be talking about missed dates. Honestly, it's a fucking joke. Yup! They missed some dates. In all likelihood they'll miss another before all is said and done. I just don't understand how talking about missed dates is productive. Another is budget. If I hear about how they said they could do SC on a $6 million budget one more time, I might just slit my own wrists, because that argument makes me lose a little more faith in human intelligence every time I hear it (although I haven't lost all faith in human intelligence in recent weeks, then I think I'm pretty safe).

I keep hearing a lot about promises, too. Not sure which promises. However, if you're taking the word of a marketer on what their product can do as a promise, then I've got some cars I wouldn't mind you having a look at. We'll get a game. It will be extremely gamish! You won't believe the level of game it will provide you! That's a promise I can get behind. Believing in anything else, as a backer or consumer, will ultimately just lead you to great disappointment in life. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

edited November 2016
    We should be seeing update to the status page soon if they follow through with weekly.

In bits from the latest ATV (full here)

Some weapon / tool renders, but mostly the PG Update; with better surface details and update on clouds and the whole effects with the sun. Kinda still looks like pancakes though haha

Also the first look at Echo Eleven that is the big Star Marine map for 12v12 you can check at 18:45 
  • DishwasherSafeDishwasherSafe Member UncommonPosts: 39
    MaxBacon said:
    So CIG just released their internal schedules for the next update, to be updated on a weekly basis and showing in more depth what needs to be done until it reaches it's release; as well of sharing progress on each team and their deadlines; also released the global estimate for the release.

Current Next Release: 2.6

First release for Evocati on 18th, first PTU invites planned still during this month.
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

A development schedule that goes 3 weeks into the future and 2 months into the past is probably the most hilarious thing i have ever seen in my life.

REFACTOR?

Why is everyone talking about "refactoring"? I hear this a lot from StarCitizen backers and from the life streams i have been watching. Are they not aware that they use the term "refactor" incorrectly? I mean, at this point you think someone would have told Chris Roberts that it's not called refactoring when you rewrite the code and change the whole functionality (Item 2.0, flight 2.0, space janitor 2.0).

It's really getting on my nerves as a developer when someone that has no idea about game development uses these terms incorrectly because he want's to sound cool or he overheard someone coders talking about it. It just re-enforces my view of Chris Roberts as someone that has literally no experience in game development at all.

I know, they are only sharing the short term plan because they don't want to promise a release date since people that gave them $133 million have the audacity to hold their feet to the fire when they say something is "weeks not months" away. Those entitled gamers, they should be glad they get any information, the big bad publishers would just lie to the...oh wait.

[Citation Neded]
    "Play Style Matters" 
    - Warren Spector ( System Shock, Deus Ex ) 
    edited November 2016
    What really annoys me is how you classify my very valid comment about a plan that shows the past and very little of the future as HATE.

Let that one sink in for a moment. 

Let it corrupt your mind.

Let it fester.
    lol no,  what makes me stop reading is a complete rant that contributes or adds nothing to the discussion. Hence there's almost nothing to discuss really.

"a plan that shows the past and very little of the future"  < Citation Needed.

Being that the plan released is locked to the 2.6 update, not the whole development.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I dont understand how what we have now is any different than what we had before...  Now we see a schedule that will most likely change each week or two, how is that any different than before?  What did we get that is new?  We did not get any concrete dates, we got dates that for all intents and purposes are meaningless.  This "new and improved" schedule will change a number of times before a single date is even met, how is that different than before?  We still have no idea when things will release.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

edited November 2016
    Talonsin said:
     how is that any different than before?  What did we get that is new?  We did not get any concrete dates, we got dates that for all intents and purposes are meaningless.  This "new and improved" schedule will change a number of times before a single date is even met, how is that different than before?  We still have no idea when things will release.

Ugh seriously?

What is it so hard to understand that it just makes us know the dates they work with and when they change (something we were never told about before, even if the delays happened)?

If you want rock solid release dates go look somewhere else, you're missing the point of a page created for the STATUS divided per sections and tasks of the next update. Something that is both how the community sees it as it is one of the things people have been asking for.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    This guys video is pretty good.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited November 2016
    MaxBacon said:
    "a plan that shows the past and very little of the future"  < Citation Needed.

10-10-2016 to 08-12-2016
    • 5,270,400 seconds
    • 87,840 minutes
    • 1464 hours
    • 61 days
    • 8 weeks and 5 days
    • 16.67% of 2016
    47 days of the past and 14 days into the future as of today or 78% of the past and 22% of the future. I would say that would qualify as very little of the future.

Case in Point. The new Schedule.

I swear i did not doctor this. It's real.

[Citation Needed]

"Play Style Matters" 
    edited November 2016

10-10-2016 to 08-12-2016
    • 5,270,400 seconds
    • 87,840 minutes
    • 1464 hours
    • 61 days
    • 8 weeks and 5 days
    • 16.67% of 2016
    47 days of the past and 14 days into the future as of today or 78% of the past and 22% of the future. I would say that would qualify as very little of the future.

[Citation Needed]

And that is the most hilarious thing you ever saw in your life?

It's quite simple:
    - Page came online last week.
    - The milestone (2.6) is mostly finished; hence why some of the tasks have been finished before the page went up.

If the update was on the early stages of production then yeah i'd be more about the future than provide status of the already finished tasks / sections of the release milestone.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    edited November 2016
    This guys video is pretty good.  

The old saying, "If it sounds to good to be true, it is."

Too much sniffing of ether......

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    To summarize

There will be delays for reasons
    The cash shop and next big sale has launched and works flawlessly.

edited November 2016
    Despite common belief, they do also face delays. Obviously far shorter ones but still ;)

The massive delay we had on shop matters is the HOTAs. Been over a year, then Saitek got bought by Logitech and the wait continues.
    edited November 2016
    MaxBacon said:

10-10-2016 to 08-12-2016
    • 5,270,400 seconds
    • 87,840 minutes
    • 1464 hours
    • 61 days
    • 8 weeks and 5 days
    • 16.67% of 2016

[Citation Needed]

And that is the most hilarious thing you ever saw in your life?

It's quite simple:
    - Page came online last week.
    - The milestone (2.6) is mostly finished; hence why some of the tasks have been finished before the page went up.

If the update was on the early stages of production then yeah i'd be more about the future than provide status of the already finished tasks / sections of the release milestone.
    I know if i showed top management a development plan with only 2 weeks into the future and 2 months into the past i would get fired.

What i am saying is that this is nothing but window dressing. These "release plans" mean nothing as is evident by the one they released just today.

They are meaningless and since you seem to not come from a professional environment i will explain why.
    1. No one cares what was done in the last 2 months.
    2. Tech / Systems is not locked before testing. This would get you fired immediately. You don't test when your devs still screw around in the code.
    3. Content is not finished before testing.
    4. Front end still in development while testing.

The plan is a fantasy. It's a fantasy made for backers. You NEVER work on Tech / Systems while in release testing. You lock down development and features then make a release build for testing. Then you branch and keep developing on your next sprint. A dev group stays with the test branch and fixes bugs found in testing. After testing when you have a stable build you push it to live and the devs merge any fixes they have done with the main branch.

Yes, this is hilarious because it is amateur hour development in it's most funny and grotesque form.

[Citation Needed]
    Post edited by DishwasherSafe on
    "Play Style Matters" 
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    To summarize

There will be delays for reasons

Sums up the progress nicely.

I would be a lot happier if Chris would stop showing tech demo videos of stuff that is not even close to being in the game and stop selling concepts of ships.  At this point, even if the game launched at the end of 2017, they would still need 2 more years to complete all the ship models they have sold.

At this point, it honestly feels like an eastern P2W MMO before launch, a bunch of great looking videos, with little of it in the actual game, and a fully functional cash shop.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

edited November 2016
    Uh the community cares. It's part of their feedback towards more detailed status of updates, and it's to them that CIG needs to respond to, not random drama/criticism external to them (as this forum).

Call it fantasy, cult, scam, fake, whatever you want but this is not made to please you really; it's just the company response to provide more detailed status on the next update.

While some, mostly here because I haven't saw any backers I talk to complaining or having wrong expectations about this, complain about the release estimates. The point of this (and it was the core of the requests) is provide more specific status on the work being done towards the release.

You can whine all day long about the estimates provided are just that; but the point of the report will still not be to announce release dates.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    MaxBacon said:
    Uh the community cares. It's part of their feedback towards more detailed status of updates, and it's to them that CIG needs to respond to, not random drama/criticism external to them (as this forum).

Call it fantasy, cult, scam, fake, whatever you want but this is not made to please you really; it's just the company response to provide more detailed status on the next update.

While some, mostly here because I haven't saw any backers I talk to complaining or having wrong expectations about this, complain about the release estimates. The point of this (and it was the core of the requests) is provide more specific status on the work being done towards the release.

You can whine all day long about the estimates provided are just that; but the point of the report will still not be announce release dates.

Unfortunately, the community really doesn't matter. We have seen this again and again in other games. CIG only has to respond to investors and I mean TRUE investors (like Venture or Angel), who have a contract, matter. Neither crowdfunding nor Kickstarter backers matter as they basically threw their money down the toilet ( CIS is NOT BOUND by crowdfunding or Kickstarter to actually produce a usable product). This cheese mini alpha is enough. Since they really only went crowdfunded, one can assume all that money is gone.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

The positivists are laboring under the mistaken impression that Roberts is a competent developer, when he is actually a disorganized egomaniac.  It will always be 'two steps forward, one step back'.   The team's biggest hope is that Chris's brother Erin  increases his importance in decision making.   Erin's actually released a game in the last twenty years.

That video was very nicely done, but even that positivist was putting the date far into 2019.  Yet we have countless examples of pronouncements of release from years ago.  Chris Roberts probably believed every erroneous statement he's made, because he has the ability to lie to himself.  It can make him a very convincing speaker.  He Believes!  

His Great Big Ego is intricately tied up in this Star Citizen project, so he'll continually milk the whales, even when the problems and delays are really attributable to him and his faulty decision-making.   Not so much a scam as a bloated, poorly-run vanity project. 

Roberts has never seen a  feature creep that he didn't want to implement immediately.  Regardless of the cost to the project.  No reason to assume it won't continue to cost the project down the pike.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.