Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this the highlight of the MMO genre?

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    BarbieBoy said:
    That's a big statement to claim that GW2 is setting the new highlight in MMO. I think before you claim that title you should have done some survey first to get the opinion of most of the players.
    Its not a statement, its a question (or did you miss the questionmark in the topic title?)  backed up by my personal opinion....

Its fun to see as allways that the haters jump on a topic first...  just to smash it and then move on... Now i am not talking about you specificaly but about some other posts here...   just shouting things witouth arguments... atleast my question is backed up by a feasible opinion.
    your OP is not a question its a statement. Change the content of your OP if you feel its a question. You are being highly misleading if you are suggesting the content of your OP is a question. The title of the OP is not relevant to the point

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    edited November 2016
    BarbieBoy said:
    I agree that GW2 is a step backwards. GW1 was *the* third generation mmo, the way Richard Garriott and other legendaries envisioned it. But in GW2, they had to succumed to the demands of players who hates GW1 and change it.

GW2 IS NOT a step backwards. GW1 was an instanced game, heck you DIDN'T EVEN HAVE TO PLAY WITH OTHER GAMERS, HENCH AND HEROES ONLY. GW1 IS NOT AN MMO by definition, it certainly wasn't massive and certainly didn't have to be multiplayer. So, your opinion is flawed and wrong.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    I like various things about Guild Wars 2 but highlight? Not in my opinion.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    I agree with OP, GW2 is a great MMO and still is, they done several things right, for starters I were so glad I didn't have to run around finding !, in GW2 quests and events finds you.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I had fun with the leveling game back at release but I quickly ran out of steam when I reached max. I did really like the zone design and artwork. I just haven't been compelled to revisit the game.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Maurgrim said:
    I agree with OP, GW2 is a great MMO and still is, they done several things right, for starters I were so glad I didn't have to run around finding !, in GW2 quests and events finds you.
    In GW2 quest finds you!

but OT, no, I haven't found anything about GW2 that is a highlight of the genre. It is a very solid, entertaining game but for me it really doesn't excel at anything. Most of the time the games that really excel at specific things are heavily flawed at others, I haven't found an MMO that was amazing on every front. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I have to agree with the threads above, it's an OK mmo but to lay that kind of label on it is delusional. 
    I was so into it when it came out. It was just before the Wow expansion so it was full of players everywhere. Then wow hit and people just left. It was fun until i got to level 80 then i just lost interest and people i know that were playing it all went back to wow or whatever game they were playing before. For me what really pissed me off was your personal story ending forcing you to find a group to finish it even though you soloed it all the way to this point. 
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

The combat is limited in scope and boring as hell, not to mention the whole everyone can do everything concept doesn't work.  The content is lacking severely.  The PvP is crap compared to it's predecessor. It doesn't even have GvG in a game called GUILD WARS....
    No. 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

The combat is limited in scope and boring as hell, not to mention the whole everyone can do everything concept doesn't work.  The content is lacking severely.  The PvP is crap compared to it's predecessor. It doesn't even have GvG in a game called GUILD WARS....
    No. 

For my taste I would have preferred if they took the original guild wars and just expanded it to be open world. I really liked the character art design and animations as well as the primary and secondary classes.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Oh man OP now you did it.. you brought out the disgrunted GW1 players...

Hariken said:
    For me what really pissed me off was your personal story ending forcing you to find a group to finish it even though you soloed it all the way to this point. 
    The Team agreed with you and this was changed 2 years ago.

It doesn't even have GvG in a game called GUILD WARS....

If after more than 10 years you still haven't learned where the name Guild Wars comes from then you have never been a real fan and shouldn't even bother to post here.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited November 2016
    Not enough depth.

Enjoyed it for about a month but that is about it. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Sigh, it's not EVE, it's inferior.

/mic drop

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Loke666 said:
    Sadly, no. I(t would have been if they didn't make that horrible difficulty nerf after the first beta week and additional nerfs since.

And honestly would a expansion/campiagn in style of Nighfall and Factions not hurt either.

I like GW2 and it have many good ideas but there is also bad things.
    I agree. Beta 1 Guild Wars 2 was godlike.
  • RavZterzRavZterz Member UncommonPosts: 618
    I really enjoy GW2.  I think a lot of the people who don't like it are more into sandbox games.

Make games you want to play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RavikAztar

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    It's almost interesting to see that GW2 is still a very polarizing game even after 4 years.  

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    edited November 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Twitch : dren_utogi
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I don't like GW'2 design what so ever,it looks like a messy sloppy design,just toss some ideas together,add in a login screen and cal lit a mmorpg.
    I expect game design ideas to make sense and most of GW2 does not make any sense at all.If i am going to play a RPG,i want to feel like i am in a living world and not some land mass with some content modules.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Wizardry said:
    I don't like GW'2 design what so ever,it looks like a messy sloppy design,just toss some ideas together,add in a login screen and cal lit a mmorpg.
    I expect game design ideas to make sense and most of GW2 does not make any sense at all.If i am going to play a RPG,i want to feel like i am in a living world and not some land mass with some content modules.
    I think you missed something.....

all things in GW2 are connected, and thats why GW2 gives me much more the feeling of a living breathing world then any other MMORPG...

its just like a real world, where you meet people (npc's) and things happen...  (in PvE)

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Warlord711Warlord711 Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Every now and then i log into MMORPG to check how games are rated - and everytime i wonder how many fanboys it needs to keep this crap game on top. This game is the most boring game i played, and i played Matrix Online. Its zero immersive, as mentioned above, adapted for todays so'called mmo players. Does it already have "post your loot/archivement on Facebook" button ? Because thats what its all about, same dumb shit as WoW.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    GW2 was a missed opportunity. 

Definitely should not be a benchmark, more like a tale of what not to do when you have a possible gem. Their original manifesto is the game people wanted to play.

Cue'ing up dead horse... now:

At the same time people saying how it's the most terrible thing ever are cleary on psychedelic drugs and never played. That's just hyperbole on steroids.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    edited December 2016
    some proffs were force to weild some weapons , try playing Warrior with anything but GS ....Elemental was staff or staff , some builds changed and u were able to weild other weapons , but in the end it wasnt the top...

that doesnt have changed in HoT is even worse now.....Thiefs now are forced into Staff ....warrior still use GS for might stacking , Mesmer are buffbots/ tanks lowest on dmg , the new Proff is a buffbot forced to use a traitline and the Glint stance .....is a game with tons of options , but 95% suck badly :/

the good thing in Gw2 is the art , the events are fun , the exploration is awesome , JP rocks , but the players are handcuffed badly in how to play the proffs... Want to be a dual sword mesmer or dual axe warrior? too bad that sucks.....
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Definitely should not be a benchmark, more like a tale of what not to do when you have a possible gem. Their original manifesto is the game people wanted to play.

At the same time people saying how it's the most terrible thing ever are cleary on psychedelic drugs and never played. That's just hyperbole on steroids.
    That is a more build hype version of their original written manifesto.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-design-manifesto/

I think it is astonishing that many of the original concepts are still true today.
    Obviously others have changed a lot and/or their implementation might not be what one might had believed.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

No. 

UHH - you do know that name Guild Wars HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH GvG - read the lore....

from GW1 Wiki (controlled by A.Net btw).

The Tyrian disasters[edit]

Throughout the centuries, the continent of Tyria found itself in constant warfare. The multiple Guild Wars raged across human lands - constantly ending and starting again, creating a series of wars between Humans. In all these years, not much aside from the constant wars and temporary times of peace existed. However, nearly two hundred years prior to the Searing, a powerful arcanist known simply as Lord Odran sought to reach into the unknown, and in doing so, by sacrificing many souls, found access to the Hall of Heroes. Though the spirits were outraged at Odran's intrusion on the land they had paid to access with their life and blood, they could do nothing against beings of the living. For years, Odran explored the Rift and the many worlds, placing his portals in deadly locations and concealing them with spells. Until one day, the spirits of the Rift found a way to harm that which was corporeal and when Odran returned to the Rift they tore his body apart. In doing so that which they hated most came to pass as the spells of protection and concealment over Odran's portals were removed and mortals gained free access to the Hall of Heroes.

Not a missed opportunity. It is what they could do with the resources and game engine they built. They honestly did the best they could but they did put a game out unlike CIS which keeps promising more stuff but not much in the way of actual game play or real timelines.

• SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Highlight?

Umm no....not even close.