Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The server runs at variable speeds.

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
Sometimes the game simply runs faster than others.  I don't mean frame rates or ping times by that, either.  At its most extreme, sometimes everything only happens at about 60% of the normal speed.  That's running speed, attack speed, skill cooldowns, everything.  Mobs move and attack slower, too, so it's not a huge gameplay disadvantage, though it is annoying.

Well, not quite everything:  buff durations still last the normal length.  So if you have a buff with a 40 second duration and a 30 second cooldown and the server is only running at 60% speed, the buff still lasts 40 seconds, but the cooldown is now 50 seconds so you can't maintain it indefinitely.

Usually it's not 60% speed.  That seems to only happen right after patches.  But a lot of times, it's about 90% speed.  Today, it seems to be around 85% speed.  And the speed at which the server runs seems to stay the same all day, not bounce around constantly.

I'm not sure if it's a bug or an intentional way for the server to cope with heavy loads.  It would be bizarre as a bug, though.  And if it's a way to cope with heavy loads, why is it still present at far off peak times (e.g., weekday mornings) when there is a light load on the servers?

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Very weird.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Nearly everything is still kept in sync, including client-side approximations to what is going on.  This doesn't cause any rubber-banding, for example.

The one thing that is out of sync is client-side approximations to remaining buff duration.  For example, if the server is running at 60% speed and a buff is supposed to last 30 seconds, then the client-side approximation counts down at 60% speed, then the buff abruptly expires from 12 seconds left.  I think the bug there is that the server-side tracking of buff duration doesn't adjust for the different running rate the way it adjusts for everything else.
    Quizzical said:
    Nearly everything is still kept in sync, including client-side approximations to what is going on.  This doesn't cause any rubber-banding, for example.

The one thing that is out of sync is client-side approximations to remaining buff duration.  For example, if the server is running at 60% speed and a buff is supposed to last 30 seconds, then the client-side approximation counts down at 60% speed, then the buff abruptly expires from 12 seconds left.  I think the bug there is that the server-side tracking of buff duration doesn't adjust for the different running rate the way it adjusts for everything else.
    So how long is the 30 second buff going?  The 12 seconds bit sounds confusing.  Are you saying the 30 second buff is saying 50 seconds and at 38 seconds the buff is removed?  Can you give specific numbers rather than 12 seconds left.  As in it removes at 18 seconds instead of 30.

It sounds to me like there are multiple things going on.  You aren't getting rubber banding so I wonder if they really have a client side calculation going on.  On the other hand, the buffs might be on a different box within the "server" which is getting out of sync, way out of sync.

Do they have any settings related to server side calculations only which you can set to see if anything changes?

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Let's say it's a 40 second buff with a 30 second cooldown, with the server running at 60% speed.  If you have time elapsed (in real time), remaining buff duration (displayed), and remaining cooldown (displayed), it looks like:

elapsed  buff  cooldown
          0        40        30
          1        39        29
          2        39        29
          3        38        28
          4        37        27
          5        37        27
          6        36        26
          7        36        26
          8        35        25
          9        34        24
        10        34        24
        11        33        23
        12        33        23
        13        32        22
        14        31        21
        15        31        21
        16        30        20
        17        30        20
        18        29        19
        19        28        18
        20        28        18
        21        27        17
        22        27        17
        23        26        16
        24        25        15
        25        25        15
        26        24        14
        27        24        14
        28        23        13
        29        22        12
        30        22        12
        31        21        11
        32        21        11
        33        20        10
        34        19          9
        35        19          9
        36        18          8
        37        18          8
        38        17          7
        39        16          6
        40      gone        6

So both the remaining buff duration and the remaining cooldown time are slowed down.  When the server thinks the buff expires, it resynchronizes with the client and the buff is gone.  But that doesn't happen for the cooldown, which forces you to wait.

Also, if you teleport (mainly backspace to turn in a quest), it resynchronizes the remaining buff duration with the server.  So if I teleported after 20 seconds, the remaining buff duration would change from 28 to 20, the real time that the server thinks it has left.
    Sounds like naive assumptions about timers going on or something involved with it is taking far too long.  This is a good place for them to start profiling their code.

In any case, doesn't seem ready for prime time!

Aori said:
    I can't tell, the game still feels like a mess. A lot of lag, rubberbanding and frame related crap.
    Nice extra information there.  You would expect rubberbanding.   What a mess of a game.

It doesn't just run slow, either.  Today, the server is running at about 103% of nominal speed.
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    edited November 2016
    I love this game, but IMC (the developers) treats the international version as the ugly step child. They just keep it around for the child support. 

IMC actually does not care at all about it's international version. It's especially apparent when you follow the Korean version.  

They honest to god can't be bothered to fix major bugs in the international version, even when they have already fixed the same bugs for Korean Version. All they would have to do is just roll these fixes over to the international version. 

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    This game has PvP and I don't think these types of problems are not good for that game play. I have wanted to try it out but the PvP has kept me away. I do love the art style though.

If you want to see a rather dramatic demonstration of what is going on, the server seems to be running at about 65% speed today.
    kitarad said:
    This game has PvP and I don't think these types of problems are not good for that game play. I have wanted to try it out but the PvP has kept me away. I do love the art style though.
    If you don't want to PVP, then don't.  I don't.  Other players can't attack you without your consent.
    If you want to make this more bizarre, I've now concluded that it's a client-side problem, not server-side.  On two occasions, the game has crashed my computer and I've been forced to reboot, and it has changed the speed at which the game ran.  This morning, I logged on and it was running slow, so I rebooted my computer to see if it would make a difference.  It did.  But logging out and back in without a reboot never changes the speed at which the game runs, even if several hours have passed.

Client side bugs are nothing new, of course.  But this one affects things that should be server-side, such as skill cooldown lengths and mob movement and attack speeds.  How is it even possible for a client-side bug to make mobs move and attack slower in an open world game?  I have no idea, but that's how the game apparently works.  You'd think that even if client-side approximations were slowed down, you'd take damage from phantom attacks when the server insists that some extra attacks landed, but that never happens.  That's what previously convinced me that it was a server-side bug.

It's also interesting that the speed seems to be only one of several discrete steps.  It's either running at about 65%, 80%, 90%, or slightly over 100% of the nominal speed.  That it doesn't go far over 100% means it's not really an exploitable bug, either, unless it has consequences that I'm not aware of.