Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this the highlight of the MMO genre?

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
its a great game, that keeps getting better and better over time....

- A top knotch game at realease that got me hooked for a year
- then first season of the living world which kept me comming back
- the seccond season is even better
- a stunning expansion showing once and for all that vertical progression can do it all and keep people entertained

and now there is the 3rd season of the living world, maybe even more sattisfying then anything before... if they can keep pushing new content at this speed....  they definately will be getting even more of my attention...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    ughh ,Sorry cant agree at all GW2 is one of the worst ...erhmmm MMORPG to come out in years , terrible in every conceivable way IMO and hopefully hasnt set the genre back to far...
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    zero interest in this game

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    edited November 2016
    I have to agree with the threads above, it's an OK mmo but to lay that kind of label on it is delusional. 

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    I sure hope not. It was a huge step backwards from the orginal Guild Wars with respect to gameplay, and it suffers from the "collectible" syndrom like so many games do today. Both items like ever new legendaries, and the vistas, achievements for discovering this and that, achievements for getting achievements, points for gettings achievements, achievements for reaching enough points..

And stuff like reasonably being able to play with friends and PVP with a story character took ages. The first year it was nigh impossible. And then the debacle with the expansion..

I absolutely love the original Guild Wars. It's probably my most played game, and i played through the whole story with almost every class, and i rarely create a second character. I also met many people there i still play other games with today, and some i even met it person. But i barely managed to finish the story in GW2, and i don't really miss it.

Well, i miss a real Guild Wars 2, but not the experience i had with what we got.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Massive disappointment, at least to me.

Loved GW1, can't think of a single nice thing to say about GW2.

Different strokes, and all that, I suppose.
  • BarbieBoyBarbieBoy Member UncommonPosts: 85
    That's a big statement to claim that GW2 is setting the new highlight in MMO. I think before you claim that title you should have done some survey first to get the opinion of most of the players.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Hated GW2.  It is the epitome of catering a game to the sensibilities of today's entitled player.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    BarbieBoy said:
    That's a big statement to claim that GW2 is setting the new highlight in MMO. I think before you claim that title you should have done some survey first to get the opinion of most of the players.
    Its not a statement, its a question (or did you miss the questionmark in the topic title?)  backed up by my personal opinion....

Its fun to see as allways that the haters jump on a topic first...  just to smash it and then move on... Now i am not talking about you specificaly but about some other posts here...   just shouting things witouth arguments... atleast my question is backed up by a feasible opinion.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I love this game.  They did a great job.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    GW2 is a great game, I keep it perma installed, but I play ESO more. I think many similarities can be drawn between ESO and GW2, both great games both do some things better than the other.
  • HighestHandHighestHand Member UncommonPosts: 108
    edited November 2016
    What they're doing is genius. They've seem to have found that sweet spot for releases that they have had a problem before. 

A new map every 2 months and it can include fractals, game modes, etc. A gamer's dream. 

The game itself feels great and the combat isn't boring or clunky. 

Unfortunately most people can't get past this and will forever be stuck in the "it's not GW1 so it sucks" attitude. It's either that or they can't play games where it requires them to control a character well enough via action combat to actually progress without the tab target and press 1 to 8 for the win. 

This is coming from a guy who LOVES GW1, and has way more hours in GW1 than GW2, and hated GW2 first before giving it a few more tries. 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    edited November 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Twitch : dren_utogi
    edited November 2016
    Delete please

I'll give it a 4th attempt, I just can't get it too grab me :anguished:
    Hey man if it takes you 4 attempts, then it's quite possible the game is just not for you, and that's ok. 

It personally took me 2-3 tries to like the game, as an GW1 fan. 

If you do give it another try, I suggest joining guilds and socializing, do dungeons, fractals, with actual guild members and chat on TS or discord. Doing that makes the experience much more fun. If it feels too boring/bland, then try to learn the meta and hop into high level fractals or raids which are the hardest content and require real skill and dedication to learning to complete. 

The trick is to have small goals to work towards in the game, otherwise it'll feel like you're lost with no direction whatsoever. 

If those don't interest you then the game is just not for you, and that's ok. 

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
    I just started playing again and I have to say i'm rather confused on what to do. I'm in the heart of thorns area, but it seems like i have to level up mastery points before I can progress or something. So I guess I just need to keep doing these random world events? System just seems kind of strange.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    In regards to a method of more coherently and naturally delivering themepark content to players in a way that is soloing and cooperative at the same time? Absolutely. It's a unique title that is innovative in the genre. I don't get pulled in often as I prefer more open ended sandboxes but I recognize and appreciate GW2's special aspects.
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    mcrippins said:
    I just started playing again and I have to say i'm rather confused on what to do. I'm in the heart of thorns area, but it seems like i have to level up mastery points before I can progress or something. So I guess I just need to keep doing these random world events? System just seems kind of strange.
    In HoT, Anet somewhat force you to participate in group events for progress further. This perspective brings more participants in group efforts but not everyone will like this kind of approach.

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Sadly, no. I(t would have been if they didn't make that horrible difficulty nerf after the first beta week and additional nerfs since.

And honestly would a expansion/campiagn in style of Nighfall and Factions not hurt either.

I like GW2 and it have many good ideas but there is also bad things.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited November 2016
    Loved GW1, was very excited because of manifest for GW2, but that slowly changed when they kept changing things thanks to those new devs. Current game is very different from the original outlook and not to my taste at all.

I also realised that I don't like most hybrid combat mechanics in the newer MMO's. I can like tab based, I can like twitch based, but not some weird compromise that feels restrictive towards both types of playing. Dodge cooldown is just an arbitrary choice for PVP reasons. But it does not make sense. If you have the stamina to fight at your best, you should have the stamina to dodge. But yuo can't. I hate hybrid combat like this.

And those silly 80 levels with bare bones character progression that makes lvling an alt just a chore. The zerging in endzones was very annoying too. If you didn't have ranged AOE, you were out of luck.

The thing I really liked was how the world looks, and how the animations (Asura wielding a hammer ftw!). Also the dynamic events were cool, but fall kind of flat when no one is around.

• Redfeather75Redfeather75 Member UncommonPosts: 230
    There are things I really love. Things that show clever people designed them.
    And there are things I despise to no end. I get angry at the inconsistency of it all.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Doesn't feel like an MMO to me, or that there is any kind of a social experience happening.  It feels lifeless.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    edited November 2016
    goboygo said:
    Doesn't feel like an MMO to me, or that there is any kind of a social experience happening.  It feels lifeless.

There is plenty of social experience. You have to make your own. It is not forced or anything else. If there is no social experience in this game, what would you think of a sandbox game where everything is on you?

Just like any other game, there are good and bad points. One has to decide if those bad points can be overlooked or not. The game is still going strong and does have a good following.

• BarbieBoyBarbieBoy Member UncommonPosts: 85
    I agree that GW2 is a step backwards. GW1 was *the* third generation mmo, the way Richard Garriott and other legendaries envisioned it. But in GW2, they had to succumed to the demands of players who hates GW1 and change it.
  • DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    GW2 is a great game, I keep it perma installed, but I play ESO more. I think many similarities can be drawn between ESO and GW2, both great games both do some things better than the other.
    I'm with you on that. ESO has come a long way.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    I think you mean "CORPG"

...?

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance