Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic - Hands On with Knights of the Eternal Throne - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageStar Wars: The Old Republic - Hands On with Knights of the Eternal Throne - MMORPG.com

Star Wars: The Old Republic has been giving fans the chance to play out their own personal experiences in a galaxy far, far away for five years. But many fans have wondered where their paths were leading them and how they fit into the grand scheme of BioWare’s MMO.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• mnemic666mnemic666 Member UncommonPosts: 224
    >In Eternal Throne, players will get a chance to experience what it’s like to rule the galaxy.

Which makes literally no sense for non-force using base classes, and doesn't make much sense for Jedi either. Glad to see they're taking story seriously!

>Even your smallest choices may require more thought before responding.

Heard this multiple times before and thus far never had it matter. I still don't believe this claim in SWTOR.

>During our hands-on time we got a chance to check out some of Voss, a brand new planet that has drawn attention from the new galactic ruler, Vaylin.

Voss isn't a brand new planet, it's been in the game since launch. They may be adding more zones (but I wouldn't be surprised if they're just re-using the same map), but the planet already has a full storyline associated with it. And it wasn't terribly interesting.

>You’ll get to commandeer enemy vehicles and pilot a walker just like everyone’s favorite Wookie did on Endor

Ugh, vehicles. Gross. Glad they're copying yet another thing from WoW, though I wish it was something that WoW hadn't largely abandoned outside of some gimmick quests and such because it's not terribly popular. I mean, I guess the more iconic walkers might make it more fun, but I still have no interest in playing anything other than my character.

>Once you’ve actually completed the new single player content and are sitting on top of the galactic throne

Again, because story REALLY matters, which is why people will just have to pretend that not every single player in the game isn't also sitting on the throne as well.

>It’s also the first time that you’re going to have to pick a permanent side.

Still really dislike that they're replacing the Imperial vs. Republic storyline with this dark vs. light one, since the new direction isn't getting a storyline to go with it. It would be an interesting road to go down, but this seems like a gameplay/design decision that's yet again entirely divorced from the story that's supposed to be such a pillar of the game.

>Part of Galactic Command is the new multiplayer Uprising missions.

Only interesting bit of this expansion to me. SWTOR has needed new group content in a MAJOR way for a long time, and especially something like this. Hoping it's as good as it sounds so far, because it may be the expansions only saving grace.

Zakuul is probably the least interesting, least Star Wars-y direction they could have gone. And between not being terribly interested in the story direction and not wanting to maintain a subscription in order to be able to progress my characters by using the Command system (since it's locked out for preferred players) I'm giving this expansion a solid pass : /
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Twitch : dren_utogi
  • akkedis86akkedis86 Member UncommonPosts: 123
    They said it will be a substantial update. Assumedly the biggest. I get that Voss already existed, not sure what the plan is. One would assume the DarkvLight thing is a rebalancing of sides somehow. Not sure. They have all but killed off Pre 65 PVP due to the ability to transfer WZ comms, and getting more dailies on max lvl, and also giving story mode a lot more xp gains. Still though, I'll be returning at least for the expansion, and see how it goes. I've played swtor extensively previously.
  • Holst86Holst86 Member UncommonPosts: 57

NEver seen such a tired attempt of new content. It is literally a "treadmill". I've been playing Blade and Soul, it is hands down a better story, better graphics and way way better combat system without a treadmill. SWTOR is probably the worst example of the mmorpg genre. that is clearly my opinion.

BnS is a nice game yeah. What I don't like about BnS is the combat system based on combos mostly because I always get rekt in pvp xD

Back on topic. I used to defend this game storytelling for your character/class and I found KoTFE pretty intresting(from a single player perspective) AND I've come to a realisation that I really want a more sandbox-ish SW mmorpg. I mean for a roleplayer like me the storytelling have ZERO impact on my IC toon. And when pvp and pve rarely get any updates, why not just make a single player game like mass effect or dragon age? + I agree with some peeps that swtor kinda lost its touch/SW feel with Zakuul.

I'm aware(duh!) they will add more stuff now that might spark my intrest, hopefully. As for now the only thing that keeps my sub alive is my guild and the fact that its a way to support Bioware/EA to improve the game. But yeah, not much else.
  • FlintsteenFlintsteen Member UncommonPosts: 282
    I like the star wars setting, and the classes are fine imo. Main problem for me is i dont play MMO's for solo-story, and lately that's all SWTOR have provided of new content. I'll keep an eye out on SWTOR and maybe log back in as preffered from time to time.

I realy dont think many people hate SWTOR. It's just that they are so very disapointed with what SWTOR has become. Personly i'm close to giving up on SWTOR but that doesn't mean i hate the game. I had great times in SWTOR, especially before SoR. The direction SWTOR went since then just wasn't/isn't my cup of tea.

Maybe the direction will turn again in a fashion that's more to my liking and then i might return. Uprisings looks interesting enough, but unless some of my friends return aswell it's just not enough for me to sub, and with that beeing the only new content it's a hard sell that i'm not prepared to make. I just cant convince myself 5.0 will be a fresh start for SWTOR the MMO so talking any of my friends into trying it out just feels wrong.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I have loved the game as @Holst86 said very much as a single player experience but what I find disturbing now is "what's next"? I mean -- Ruler of the Galaxy -- Permanent Member of (for me anyway) the Dark Side -- and....Game Over?

Short of a fall from grace or a tragic loss on a mission that sends us off to a new galaxy (Hello, Mass Effect: Andromeda!), where does a player character go?

It's much the same feeling I get from WoW these days -- we're essentially the leader of Alliance & Horde forces...how much further can the story go before there's nowhere left to go and nothing left to conquer.

I miss the old days of just being a "random hero" in my MMOs.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Unless something has changed that I don't know about the biggest issue with many people about this xpac is something they didn't even touch on in this post. You will be getting gear randomly from galactic conquest, no more quest rewards, not sure about drops though. This is a big push for a lot of people to stop playing. I still jump in from time to time. I didn't mind the single player approach they were taking lately and I think they should just keep going down that road and not try and change direction now as most group oriented people seem to have left for other games now. I see this game as a single player game now not an MMO for myself, but that is just me.
  • SignexSignex Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Sounds pretty cool, might pickup the game again.
    AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 10G Master - 16GB RAM
  • Furh79Furh79 Member UncommonPosts: 185
    k61977 said:
    Unless something has changed that I don't know about the biggest issue with many people about this xpac is something they didn't even touch on in this post. You will be getting gear randomly from galactic conquest, no more quest rewards, not sure about drops though. This is a big push for a lot of people to stop playing. I still jump in from time to time. I didn't mind the single player approach they were taking lately and I think they should just keep going down that road and not try and change direction now as most group oriented people seem to have left for other games now. I see this game as a single player game now not an MMO for myself, but that is just me.
    At least the end you stated "but that's just me" unfortunately throughout your post you kept saying "many people" "a lot of people" "most group oriented people".  I'm guessing you are getting this information from the swtor forum. Let's be clear here in no way shape or form do the swtor represent "most" "a lot" or any phrase that represents the players of swtor.  

If the swtor forums were correct swtor would have closed every single time there was an update.  It doesn't matter what is going on the 10-15 who pay a sub to continue to spam the forums will always find something to cry about and do whatever they can including commenting 50 times on a thread to make it look like it's a popular topics. 
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

SBFord said:

I have loved the game as @Holst86 said very much as a single player experience but what I find disturbing now is "what's next"? I mean -- Ruler of the Galaxy -- Permanent Member of (for me anyway) the Dark Side -- and....Game Over?

Short of a fall from grace or a tragic loss on a mission that sends us off to a new galaxy (Hello, Mass Effect: Andromeda!), where does a player character go?

It's much the same feeling I get from WoW these days -- we're essentially the leader of Alliance & Horde forces...how much further can the story go before there's nowhere left to go and nothing left to conquer.

Swtor would make a amazing single player game. Most people only play it for the story and side missions now anyways. Its really the best part of the game and its free. I don't know anyone that sub. to this game anymore. And this latest update sounds really lame to everyone i know that still plays.
    edited November 2016
    Hariken said:

SBFord said:

Swtor would make a amazing single player game. Most people only play it for the story and side missions now anyways. Its really the best part of the game and its free. I don't know anyone that sub. to this game anymore. And this latest update sounds really lame to everyone i know that still plays.
    So I'm curious how swtor is still in the top five of western mmos if according to you everyone plays for free and nobody subs? Maybe those "you know" that still play are lying to you.

http://massivelyop.com/2016/10/27/superdatas-september-report-shows-destiny-wow-gw2-swtor-and-tera-doing-well/

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

Furh79 said:

Hariken said:

SBFord said:

So I'm curious how swtor is still in the top five of western mmos if according to you everyone plays for free and nobody subs? Maybe those "you know" that still play are lying to you.

http://massivelyop.com/2016/10/27/superdatas-september-report-shows-destiny-wow-gw2-swtor-and-tera-doing-well/

I was talking about people i know only not world stats. Learn to read before you post. Man its right there in my post"I don't know anyone"
    Hariken said:

Furh79 said:

Hariken said:

SBFord said:

I was talking about people i know only not world stats. Learn to read before you post. Man its right there in my post"I don't know anyone"
    Well you think you know why "most people" play but now you are saying you don't?
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    NEver seen such a tired attempt of new content. It is literally a "treadmill". I've been playing Blade and Soul, it is hands down a better story, better graphics and way way better combat system without a treadmill. SWTOR is probably the worst example of the mmorpg genre. that is clearly my opinion.
    So this is more of a SWTOR Knights of the Eternal Treadmills expansion for you?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• MurmaiderMurmaider Member UncommonPosts: 123

mnemic666 said:

>In Eternal Throne, players will get a chance to experience what it’s like to rule the galaxy.

Which makes literally no sense for non-force using base classes, and doesn't make much sense for Jedi either. Glad to see they're taking story seriously!

>Even your smallest choices may require more thought before responding.

Heard this multiple times before and thus far never had it matter. I still don't believe this claim in SWTOR.

>During our hands-on time we got a chance to check out some of Voss, a brand new planet that has drawn attention from the new galactic ruler, Vaylin.

Voss isn't a brand new planet, it's been in the game since launch. They may be adding more zones (but I wouldn't be surprised if they're just re-using the same map), but the planet already has a full storyline associated with it. And it wasn't terribly interesting.

>You’ll get to commandeer enemy vehicles and pilot a walker just like everyone’s favorite Wookie did on Endor

Ugh, vehicles. Gross. Glad they're copying yet another thing from WoW, though I wish it was something that WoW hadn't largely abandoned outside of some gimmick quests and such because it's not terribly popular. I mean, I guess the more iconic walkers might make it more fun, but I still have no interest in playing anything other than my character.

>Once you’ve actually completed the new single player content and are sitting on top of the galactic throne

Again, because story REALLY matters, which is why people will just have to pretend that not every single player in the game isn't also sitting on the throne as well.

>It’s also the first time that you’re going to have to pick a permanent side.

Still really dislike that they're replacing the Imperial vs. Republic storyline with this dark vs. light one, since the new direction isn't getting a storyline to go with it. It would be an interesting road to go down, but this seems like a gameplay/design decision that's yet again entirely divorced from the story that's supposed to be such a pillar of the game.

>Part of Galactic Command is the new multiplayer Uprising missions.

Only interesting bit of this expansion to me. SWTOR has needed new group content in a MAJOR way for a long time, and especially something like this. Hoping it's as good as it sounds so far, because it may be the expansions only saving grace.

Zakuul is probably the least interesting, least Star Wars-y direction they could have gone. And between not being terribly interested in the story direction and not wanting to maintain a subscription in order to be able to progress my characters by using the Command system (since it's locked out for preferred players) I'm giving this expansion a solid pass : /

I haven't played this game.
    Not my cup of tea in the attempts I've made.

But you seem way too bitter. Overly bitter, even.
    For a game I don't support, I can appreciate the support the developers are giving it.
    Story has always been a big factor in the reviews I've read for this game and it seems they're continuing it.
    I see no complaints there.
    It may not be what YOU want. But other people play the game as well.

Once again, this game isn't my cup of tea....or beer..... Or whiskey.
    But I'll appreciate their constant updates to it.
    Many games I've loved and lost had lack of
    support from the devs.
    This one doesn't seem to lose that,which I can appreciate
  • nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    edited November 2016
    I HATE this game. It could have been so epic, instead they just made another WoW clone. Only thing they did right was questing and dialogue, everything else was a massive bust, just a straight up World of Starwars knock.

Hell, I would've been happy if it played similar to the original KOTOR's I-II. I just cant bring myself to play this game anymore, such a let down... Nothing they do will ever make it playable imo.

Galaxies even in its final form was better than this game, at least Galaxies had probably the best crafting system ever implemented in an MMO.
    edited November 2016
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    waynejr2 said:
    So this is more of a SWTOR Knights of the Eternal Treadmills expansion for you?
    Treadmill on :
    1. free to play to lvl 50
    2 Must sub to the game for content
    3. Got to play through all xpacs to get to new content
    4. unsubbed , lose all content and xpacs character lock
    5. goto step 2

to me, thats a treadmill. You can't buy xpacs out right to play like in DCUO or LotrO a
    You must subscribed to play, period.
    The cartel store is just, an evil cartel ....

The game is literally run by the Sith.

THe last thing that is absolutely bullcrap : Sorry , not a sub, no game support .

Who in the world does that besides EA .

Bioware is better then EA, and I feel they would never be this ridiculous with content and penny pinching.

It was meant more as a tiny bit of humor than anything else.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Looks like a lot of fun, now if they could only get a space game going
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    edited November 2016
    I hate SWTOR, but I think for what the game is this is a good expansion. I don't agree with the way they separate your character from the gameworld, but at least they are expanding that gameplay a bit and providing some group content that is challenging.
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    I love the Kotor era and the amazing stories that can be created in it, yet I despise being the "universe's savior". Seeing as every player get's to be this perfect, uncontradictable, unwavering force for good or evil it really presents no realism or immersion imo, which I seek in an mmo's story. Swtor proved to be an awful mmo long ago, but the single player story is all it has left and it just goes farther and farther in the wrong direction.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • morroIanmorroIan Member UncommonPosts: 10
    This reads like a marketing blurb from BW or EA than a review, not to mention the errors like Voss being a new planet and stormtroopers. On the Galactic Command system it would also be nice to have a bit if perspective. Its an end game grind system not even tied to a players account or legacy but to each character and its the only way to get set bonus gear. Estimates on time taken to get a full set of purple gear is an average of 200 hours per character. In addition PvP gear has been removed as has the pvp stat expertise which means PvE players will likely go into PvP with significantly better gear than people who just pvp.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    morroIan said:
    This reads like a marketing blurb from BW or EA than a review, not to mention the errors like Voss being a new planet and stormtroopers. On the Galactic Command system it would also be nice to have a bit if perspective. Its an end game grind system not even tied to a players account or legacy but to each character and its the only way to get set bonus gear. Estimates on time taken to get a full set of purple gear is an average of 200 hours per character. In addition PvP gear has been removed as has the pvp stat expertise which means PvE players will likely go into PvP with significantly better gear than people who just pvp.
    Because....it's not a review. It's a hands on preview from an event the author attended recently.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I have never seen such a tired attempted at complaining about a video game someone doesn't play.  You complain about this "treadmill" but yet you perform a forum "treadmill" every time there is a post about SWTOR.  There is nothing new from you about swtor the same old talking points, we get it you don't like swtor it did some naughty things to you, how about you just give up on your crusade and go play Blade and Soul, last week it was EVE and whatever game it will be next week.