Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hero's Song - A Look at Crafting Experiences - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageHero's Song - A Look at Crafting Experiences - MMORPG.com

Hello, my name is Paul Carrico and I am excited to be working alongside so many talented people at Pixelmage. I have been making games for about 16 years now. I am a game designer and work on creating and implementing content. I find myself always being drawn back to crafting systems. Working with the crafting communities of EverQuest, EverQuest II, and H1Z1 were some of my favorite times doing design.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    How are the items needed limited by carrying weight? In a rogue-like I'd think that being able to craft things should be a bit easier but coming across the materials needed for survival is hard. And considering it's a new character upon death, things like housing and the like hold less importance unless the items carry over from generation to generation.
  • kadajvolajukadajvolaju Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Hero's Song looks very interesting. You really should think about turning the game into an MMORPG. It'd be a great hit.
  • lindhskylindhsky Member UncommonPosts: 162
    I have tried it out and it is in an early stage right now. I am not sure I can handle the 2D-mode in the long run but I guess if the features are great and it is easier to make a huge World then maybe that is ok. I love hard games but I am no fan of the perma-death. Especially not when you have made an Amazing crafter and a couple of computer or internet problems could kill you forever.
  • OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    edited November 2016

Ikeda said:

How are the items needed limited by carrying weight? In a rogue-like I'd think that being able to craft things should be a bit easier but coming across the materials needed for survival is hard. And considering it's a new character upon death, things like housing and the like hold less importance unless the items carry over from generation to generation.

From my experience in alpha, crafting materials have their own inventory which is limitless, I believe. But no, they don't carry between characters.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Follow-up question to @coretex666 (or anyone): Do mages require reagents for spells like UO used to?
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Torval said:
    Druid spells haven't required reagents yet.

The combat is fun in an early Zelda old school action JRPG kind of way. You fire off the skills and that's it. The tuning still needs a lot of work obviously. It's easy to get overwhelmed and when things start to go south it's usually the end.

The first thing I do is go around and collect tons of wood and cloth for fires and bandages. Campfires heal you up. Bandages stop the bleeding. Blood is just another resources like food and water. Campfires heal it, but won't stop bleeding.

Another problem with crafting at this point is that if you are missing a mat (say it's not spawning in your area) then finding it is a huge challenge. There are no harvesting skills so finding them is a shot in the dark. Wandering too far from town too early is a death sentence because it's easy to walk into an adjacent "zone" (they're borderless) and suddenly be surrounded by mobs several levels higher. It's still possible to kill them, but they hit like a freaking freight train.
    Too true lol

I have a hell of a time just trying to find my way back to town ;)

The hardest thing so far, is surviving long enough to acquire your first load of firewood, health potions and bandages. After that the game becomes much easier (so far)

I like it, it has a charm about it.

I think I'll shelf it and see how things have progressed in a couple months.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Maybe come release...

MMORPG.com can host a house server

That would be cool ;)

laserit said:
    Maybe come release...

That would be cool ;)
    I would join such server for sure. At least just to check it out...and kill you all :).
    We could have a couple player factions.

Pro-SC's vs Anti-SC's

or... 

maybe....

Themeparkers vs Sandboxers

You know... something that brings out the digital violence in people ;)

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    laserit said:
    laserit said:
    Maybe come release...

That would be cool ;)
    I would join such server for sure. At least just to check it out...and kill you all :).
    We could have a couple player factions.

Pro-SC's vs Anti-SC's

or... 

maybe....

Themeparkers vs Sandboxers

You know... something that brings out the digital violence in people ;)
    people actually 'like' themeparks?

something like that to get the party?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me