Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your Favorite Pre-WoW MMO?

Comments

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
    DAoC all the way.

I think because it was the "first heavy" contact with MMORPG's for me. That started everything which came afterwards. And that was beside working in the Gaming Industry every MMO which has seen Daylight.

And even being an old Fart now, interest is still up and i am excited when it will come to an end.
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,556
    edited November 2016
    Everquest for me was the best. I played for years as an enchanter and loved every min of it. 

Second was FFXI. I played that game religiously till they raised the 75 cap. 
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    City of Heroes was the only MMORPG I played before WoW.  And IMO it was the best game EVAR!!!!
    Blaze_Rocker

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• LoudWisperLoudWisper Member UncommonPosts: 76
    edited November 2016
    AC, DaoC or SWG   its pretty close
  • Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568
    SWG
  • CrozizCroziz Member CommonPosts: 1
    Magua said:
    Ultima Online and it's not even close.

Great Lakes represent!
    Ultima online for sure!
    Europa!!
  • LoudWisperLoudWisper Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Scorchien said:
    voted UO , and Mike , imo games like Shadowbane and CoH that are shutdown partiularly Shadowbane , which only lasted just over 2 years get on a list and UO up and running for 20 doesnt... Seems odd
    youth maybe?  UO or meridian should be on there just to represent =)  
  • PinchitowPinchitow Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Ultima Online
  • HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388
    DaoC was my 1st mmo...and i hope CU is my last mmo. Ive been playing almost all mmos on the market up to date and in the last 5y only BDO kept me in their world for 3 months :( 
  • tremere65tremere65 Member UncommonPosts: 4
    City of Heroes to this day is the best mmo I ever played.  
  • TcherniK911TcherniK911 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Neverwinter online the best
  • OysterstewOysterstew Member UncommonPosts: 15

I would definitely say Everquest was the game that set the bar for mmorpg for me. I had a real life outside of it, and friends would give me a hard time, until I explained raiding in the same terms as being on a bowling league.

The other complaint was, "You don't even know those people though". Well, I was lucky enough to have been a part of an amazing guild(Brew Masters), that annually spent a weekend, in a different city every year(and sometimes small meet-ups, ski-trips, ect), getting really drunk together, and I could actually say, "Yes, I do know those guys".

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    IceAge said:
    Runescape ( First MMO - Full loot PvP!! Yes!! )

Runescape was my first MMO as well. I was just the right age to really enjoy it around the time it came out. I'll poke my head in on it from time to time for nostalgia's sake but I can't really get into it anymore.
  • WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Star Wars Galaxies will always be my favourite MMO.
  • OysterstewOysterstew Member UncommonPosts: 15

My after though from post before. One thing that gave me the extra RP in MMORPG in EQ... I loved  killing Gnolls. I loved that their heads dropped and were linkable. Gnoll Head say Hi!

• GenetikCodeGenetikCode Member UncommonPosts: 48
    SWG for me.. which i still play and is still going,, in another form
  • DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Star Wars Galaxies still is my best MMO
    Me too. The most memorable experiences... Many fond memories. I can't help but wonder how the game would have developed if WOW never took off and influenced the game's direction.

sandbox/themepark hybrid games were set back so severely. Only now are we seeing MMORPG's returning to actual innovation that I find exciting.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Lol, i have to wonder if many in this thread actually read the title or don't understand what  'pre wow' means. 

• SagethornSagethorn Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Anarchy Online for me
  • netosampaionetosampaio Member UncommonPosts: 23
    The 4th Coming
  • SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    Astonia
  • IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    it's a toss up between UO and SWG pre-nge
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    UO for me. Ultima VII and UO were what showed me what a "virtual fantasy world" could be. It'd be nice if we saw something like either again one day. ;)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I think Shadowbane doesn't git enough credit.  Was a fun game.  

I self identify as a monkey.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Tough but CoH got so much right; sad memory standing the square on the day that WoW launched with people wondering where "everyone" was. 

In don't really think of CoH (and L1) as "pre-WoW" but rather as contemporary. I tend to pigeon hole things into:
    • "originals" - e.g. UO, EQ, AC, AO; 
    • then "second wave" - e.g. DAoC, SWG, Shadowbane and then 
    • beyond 2004 - CoH, L1, WoW, GW1 etc. 
    Probably needs a new era now with the launch of the likes of Destiny, The Division, maybe even TESO - megaserver games which - as a result - are "different" to what went before, especially if they are b2p. Both facilitate a "drop in and play whenever with someone" dynamic rather than a "log in every day and play with the same group of people". (You can of course play with the same people 

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file