Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Razer Blade +Core Is it worth it?

mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Anyone familiar with this config?  Looking at getting a gaming laptop.

Razer Blade Stealth + Core ($999.99 for Stealth, $499.99 for Core)

Suzanne Darcy for TIME

Who’s it for: PC gamers who want a sleek laptop for playing on the go.

Why we like it: The Stealth is a study in metallic minimalism: the 12.5-inch matte black laptop in some protective plastic, its tiny tube-like 45 watt power adapter and a coaster-sized stack of reading material. That’s it. In your hands the closed, half-inch thick body could be a petrified notepad, as lithe and paradoxically unyielding as a MacBook Air. Pair it with a $399 Razer Core Thunderbolt-connected chassis and it’ll let you harness the power of a tricked-out desktop graphics card, transforming your lithesome portable workstation into a screaming games machine.

What to know: As you might expect on a laptop built for high-end gaming, the battery life can leave a little to be desired.

I self identify as a monkey.

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Let's back up a bit.  First, why do you want a gaming laptop rather than a gaming desktop?  What's your intended use for it that a desktop won't fill better?

And second, even if we assume you want a gaming laptop, why are you looking to pay a high end price tag for low end performance?  Without the external GPU, that's basically the opposite of a gaming laptop.  Even with the external GPU, you've still got a dual core CPU with a max turbo of only 3.1 GHz, rather limited bandwidth to communicate with that external GPU, and a tiny monitor to be hunched over.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    You're not going to get true portability and gaming power at the same time.  Real gaming laptops weigh a ton and are too hot to keep in your lap for long if at all.  Battery life will be atrocious so you'll be tethered to the nearest power outlet.  I got an Alienware desktop replacement with the knowledge that it will be portable for lan parties and holidays at my parents while my tablet serves everyday portability. 

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Nope
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Core too expensive. As great as the stealth is (screen quality etc), it's not worth it. You're better off getting The New Razerblade Pro if that's the case. You can msg me, and I'll let you know what I ended up purchasing and why. 

I'm not going to lecture you on buying a desktop as people who are looking for these types of hardware solutions are doing it for specific reasons with disposable income.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    If you need a laptop as a desktop replacement then go ahead and get a decent model gaming laptop. If your looking for portability you can still get a nice small gaming laptop.
    Either way I would not buy that combo.
  • ubermutubermut Member UncommonPosts: 272
    I think gigabyte is supposed to come out with an enclosure thats reasonably priced soonish.  I would get that and a decent business laptop that has a good cpu or something, should be much better and cheaper than OP.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Quizzical said:
    Let's back up a bit.  First, why do you want a gaming laptop rather than a gaming desktop?  What's your intended use for it that a desktop won't fill better?

And second, even if we assume you want a gaming laptop, why are you looking to pay a high end price tag for low end performance?  Without the external GPU, that's basically the opposite of a gaming laptop.  Even with the external GPU, you've still got a dual core CPU with a max turbo of only 3.1 GHz, rather limited bandwidth to communicate with that external GPU, and a tiny monitor to be hunched over.
    I'm gonna be doing a lot of travelling and i want something to travel with.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Not looking to replace a desktop.  i have a good one.  i just need one for travelling.  it doesnt have to capable of running everything.  i need something that can run civ6 type games and possinly some modest online stuff.

• jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Recommend getting a Dell XPS for Civ etc.  Alternatively a gaming box from Asus or Acer gets it done as well.  You won't get bleeding edge but all 3 brands have decent warrenties and track records. You'll save some bucks and be able to run CIV at decent settings.

I use an Acer Predator 15 (Last gen graphics Geforce 970M)  I got a great deal on it and have been completely happy.  I have had very poor experiences with MSI.  The 2 I have owned ran hot and didn't last very long so word to the wise.  

Best of luck!

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Quizzical said:

I'm gonna be doing a lot of travelling and i want something to travel with.
    Well yes, one could have guessed that.  What do you plan to do with it, where, and will it be plugged in or running on battery?  Are you going to use it to play games from hotel rooms?  Are you going to carry it around all day or put it on one spot and leave it there for quite a while?  Does it need to handle mild activity on the battery?  How about gaming on a battery?
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    If you already have a good desktop and plan on only using the laptop for travel, the Core is pretty much useless. It more or less kills the portability by being an unwieldy box. You wouldn't need it at home. Plus, it is 400 bucks for the enclosure plus another XXX for whatever graphics card you put in it.

Without the Core, you're paying a grand for a 128gb drive, 12.5 inch screen, and Intel HD graphics...