Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - Star Marine Preview Video

ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295

Here is a a short preview of FPS gameplay featured in the upcoming Star Marine. Hopefully out before Christmas (see Production Schedule)

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

Have fun

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    And a look at Tevarin body armour.

Have fun
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    edited November 2016
    Cool beans; one thing I've heard a lot about the shown Star Marine is about how fast-paced and not tactical it is... Though I think with the covers and some features that are not there yet is stuff that helps to make it more tactical than what shown.

But the respawn rate is too fast for me, making it longer does motivate more tactic gameplay, otherwise, nobody really cares about dying. :expressionless:
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    I thought the FPS stuff was part of Star Citizen?  This looks like a Call of Duty game in space.
  • NoxiousBassNoxiousBass Member UncommonPosts: 257
    Thanks for sharing this, I hope they can pull this gem off one day.
    The massively multiplayer mode I doubt that it will be out any time soon, but the "Wing Commander" module I just can´t wait for it to see the light of day tbh :)
    I thought the FPS stuff was part of Star Citizen?  This looks like a Call of Duty game in space.
    Yeah it is, Star Marine is like Arena Commander, see it as a virtual mini-game. It's more meant to just play FPS with no worries or consequences, meanwhile on the actual game you'll have to worry about things like perm-death.
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    ye not sure wtf is going here either..

How many games are they now making?
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    MaxBacon said:
    Yeah it is, Star Marine is like Arena Commander, see it as a virtual mini-game. It's more meant to just play FPS with no worries or consequences, meanwhile on the actual game you'll have to worry about things like perm-death.
    Okay.  Thanks for the info.  So what I saw a year or two back is still in Star Citizen?  Basically I saw someone fly a ship and dock.  They then switched to FPS mode and infiltrate a base.
    ye not sure wtf is going here either..

How many games are they now making?
    Two. As planned since Kickstarter.

One single player game called "Squadron 42".

One persistent universe multiplayer game called "Star Citizen".

And ever since the crowdfunding it was known that they will contain FPS and spaceflight elements both.

As Star Citizen has a kind of perma-death system, it has incorporated simpod games. You can train your spaceflight ("Arena Commander") and FPS skills ("Star Marine") in the simpod and virtually die as often as you want. However, in the multiplayer world you can only die a limited amount of times (most likely 6-8) until you die permanently and your heir takes over. And your body gets more and more damaged during the later revivals, with scars and cyberlimb replacements.

Have fun
    edited November 2016
    Okay.  Thanks for the info.  So what I saw a year or two back is still in Star Citizen?  Basically I saw someone fly a ship and dock.  They then switched to FPS mode and infiltrate a base.
    Yup, that's part of the core mechanics of how the game plays. Star Marine is just the dedicated place for FPS; while the MMO is that merge where all the mechanics are at place.
  • Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    oh they scrapped their intention to have 1st and 3rd Person the same animation?
    (in this Video they have similiar but not the same)

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

Timestamps and description of what you think you see (where 1st and 3rd person animations do not match)

Have fun
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    well im intrested in that single player game.. that could be fun

the so called mmorpg star citizens.. not intrested @ all

Game is gonna be heavy instanced on many levels

Yes. But you cannot do it with high fidelity otherwise at the current level of computer and network technology.

Have fun
  • Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    edited November 2016
    Erillion said:
    Timestamps and description of what you think you see (where 1st and 3rd person animations do not match)

Have fun
    Every time when they raise a gun, in 3rd they raise the tip of the gun over the helmet, in 1st you can alway see the tip of the gun and the helmet border.
    If the helmet in 1st is just a worldspace UI then the rest of the animation does not align with the fov.
    >> the delta height of the 3rd person animation when Shooting <> holding the gun up seems to be much larger as what you experience in 1st person.

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    According to CIG this Star Marine game has been ready for 8 months now.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    Every time when they raise a gun, in 3rd they raise the tip of the gun over the helmet,
    No they do not.

Just watched the video again.

Please supply timestamps and desciption of what you think you see.

Have fun
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    I thought this was quite good although I'd like to see how it perfoms in a real world setting rather than a LAN lab setup. Some of it seemed a bit janky and I'm not sure how long it would keep me entertained but it's a good start. Atleast they fricking showed it at last.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    uh oh. doesn't seem as awesome as it did a year or so ago...

Still looks good. Timing is a real thing though.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 449
    edited November 2016
    Congratulations on managing to create a mediocre shooter from an engine designed for shooters. 

130,000,000$+ and this is what they have for the shooter portion? 

Excuse me for 1 second...

A a a a a a a a aah ah ah haha haha Haha....

You've all been had.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Same video that this site posted in their official coverage here:

http://www.mmorpg.com/star-citizen/news/internal-development-documents-to-be-shared-going-forward-1000042175  

I love how this forum has become nothing but multiple copies of the official Star Citizen site.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    looked like a guy fired gun in zero-G and no backward movement. No physics?

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    Erillion said:

Yes. But you cannot do it with high fidelity otherwise at the current level of computer and network technology.

Have fun

Yet another 'oops' from the Bozo-in-Charge.   While Roberts is responsible for raising all that money (Man, can he milk the whales!), he's also responsible for all the disarray that comes with his management disorder. 

They've got to hope they can fix some of those computer and networking issues, otherwise there are ships that, fully crewed, can't  fit in one instance right now.   Not even considering foes, friendlies, etc.

Four years plus, 130 mil, using a FPS engine, and they still almost have a shooter subset that might release into Alpha soon.....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

edited November 2016
    Archlyte said:
    I saw physics between zero-G and the platform with gravity. When he throws a grenade on zero-G if you notice the grenade does seem to fall on the platform affected by its gravity.

It's expectable this details to keep improving as more iterations are put over it after its first release. Physics absolutely need attention, mostly on collisions though.
    Archlyte said:

It could be lack of physics in the current build.

It could be a MMU (Manned Maneuvering Unit) auto correcting the impulse with cold gas jets.

Or the guy could use rocket propelled ammo  (in Warhammer40K they call them Boltguns).

Have  fun
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Hi tech space...Tevarin body armor?,yet we see old fashioned machine guns,that look like WW2 machine guns ...sigh.
    Graphics look good enough but games with machine guns are just so old at this point.Even my old 1999 UT really only got me interested because of the Shock Rifle otherwise who knows.

Accessing control point over and over,reminds me of GPS..."recalculating...recalculating".
    Really nothing there that would even remotely excite me.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.