Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - Nov 18 Letter From the Chairman - Asking for more money

goobsnewsgoobsnews Member UncommonPosts: 220
New letter from the chairman today, they just come out and say they need more money. I guess they burned through that 130 million already.

http://imgur.com/vcqrMNt

Comments

• goobsnewsgoobsnews Member UncommonPosts: 220
    They're down to 377 employees now? Didn't they reportedly have 600 at one point?
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    goobsnews said:
    They're down to 377 employees now? Didn't they reportedly have 600 at one point?
    They're up to 377 ?

I thought they had 300 or so a while ago...
  • donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    edited November 2016
    Nearly 6 years and 130 million dollars later this is still nothing more than a tech demo and they are asking for more money? This could backfire and trigger another round of requests for refunds. This game has become a punchline for all things wrong with crowdfunding. Other game developers now hold SC up as an example of what not to do. If you are still dumping money into this black hole, you deserve to lose your money at this point. 

Now let's hear from the ever present paid shills for this game about how great they are secretly doing and how wrong everyone is that says anything critical......wait for it.....
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Can I get a @dsmart

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I have as many doubts about this game as any other reasonable and pragmatic adult, but I read the whole article and didn't see any begging for money.  Just saw the usual "buying ships helps support the game" stuff, that any reasonable businessman, who has thousands of mind slaves willing to give free money to an idea, would say.

More interesting than the ship sales was the internal timeline news.
  • KeanNKeanN Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Did they change it ? , i cant find where they ask for money, am i blind :D ?
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I think if you can ask people for money and they give it to you. . . .  Why wouldn't you? (assuming you will actually launch a decent game of course).  I don't think people ever stop trying to get people to buy their product.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Begining think the contributors/supporters of this game are fish.  Hope some feel comfortable with some of the money they given. Since the only thing they'll have is the game if it's ever finished. Mostly aiming this remark at those the have contributed amounts in the serious 5 figure numbers. Wish I had that kind spare cash I could throw at a game.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited November 2016
    coretex666 said:
    Can you post a relevant quote from the letter?
    Not really he can't .

They are doing what they always done, selling ships and continue the funding of the game. As they did on every anniversary livestream and others on the past years.

How is this news? I don't know... 
    MaxBacon said:
    coretex666 said:
    Can you post a relevant quote from the letter?
    Not really he can't .

They are doing what they always done, selling ships and continue the funding of the game. As they did on every anniversary livestream and others on the past years.

How is this news? I don't know...

There are plenty of ways to look at this specifically.  Basically "You should only participate in the anniversary sale as a way of supporting the product"   They're basically saying they aren't really offering anything new or important.. but hey, you've supported us before, if you want to continue supporting us, here is what you do.. which is why we're putting on an anniversary sale.  That's paraphrasing.

I don't care about SC, haven't followed it, couldn't care either way if the game ever releases and have no stake in it if it doesn't. I  just popped in to see what this was about.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited November 2016
    There are plenty of ways to look at this specifically.  Basically "You should only participate in the anniversary sale as a way of supporting the product"   They're basically saying they aren't really offering anything new or important.. but hey, you've supported us before, if you want to continue supporting us, here is what you do.. which is why we're putting on an anniversary sale.  That's paraphrasing.

I don't care about SC, haven't followed it, couldn't care either way if the game ever releases and have no stake in it if it doesn't. I  just popped in to see what this was about.

This is what they done on EVERY anniversary sale on the past years, CIG sell ships for continuous funding and that's what it is, like it or not.

Side of that well over 1 year ago it was already claimed the number of employees is affected by the amount of funding they keep getting; so that would be not any news at all. 

More drama-llama over things we know for long. But whatever really.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    If you had people willing to give you consequence free money to pursue your dreams, would you turn off the faucet and say I have enough?  I sure as shit wouldn't.  Business as usual here.

Also, if anyone wants to fund my 370z project car, then feel free to donate to my PayPal account and I'll send you pictures of the upgrades I install! 
    edited November 2016
    MaxBacon said:

This is what they done on EVERY anniversary sale on the past years, CIG sell ships for continuous funding and that's what it is, like it or not.

Side of that well over 1 year ago it was already claimed the number of employees is affected by the amount of funding they keep getting; so that would be not any news at all. 

More drama-llama over things we know for long. But whatever really.
    meh, again, I'm not saying anything about it in general, whether good or bad,  but I mean.. they are asking for more money, just because they did before doesn't mean they aren't doing it now.  I think thats all the OP was trying to "prove" 

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    H0urg1ass said:
    If you had people willing to give you consequence free money to pursue your dreams, would you turn off the faucet and say I have enough?  I sure as shit wouldn't.  Business as usual here.

Ok , fine! 

But do your fucking job and release anything more then just "walls of text" in 6 years, if you want more money!

PS: In before : But hey! We have tech-demo ! --> That is like saying when this architect come after 6 years in front of the investors and say : YES!! Finally! Here is the .. miniature of this awesome building which will be done in another 10 years, while the investors were hopping to see the real building after 6 years, based on the architect promises, or at least half the building done , and not just the .. groundwork of the said building !

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    IceAge said:
    H0urg1ass said:

Ok , fine! 

But do your fucking job and release anything more then just "walls of text" in 6 years, if you want more money!

PS: In before : But hey! We have tech-demo ! --> That is like saying when this architect come after 6 years in front of the investors and say : YES!! Finally! Here is the .. miniature of this awesome building which will be done in another 10 years, while the investors were hopping to see the real building after 6 years, based on the architect promises, or at least half the building done , and not just the .. groundwork of the said building !

Where is the 6 years coming from? Am I missing something? I thought we just passed 4 years since the Kickstarter campaign.

also, I think 2.6 is supposed to be significant, no? Or is that 3.0? 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    You're thinking of 3.0
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    CrazKanuk said:
    IceAge said:
    H0urg1ass said:

Ok , fine! 

Where is the 6 years coming from? Am I missing something? I thought we just passed 4 years since the Kickstarter campaign.

I said 6 because someone above said 6 ! From my point of view it feels like 6 rather then 4 !

But yeah! replace 6 with 4 from my post and it still doesn't change anything !

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    IceAge said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    IceAge said:
    H0urg1ass said:

Ok , fine! 

I said 6 because someone above said 6 ! From my point of view it feels like 6 rather then 4 !

Yeah, I saw that too. Thought I missed something.

i think 2.6 is the big update isn't it? Or is that 3.0?

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    IceAge said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    IceAge said:
    H0urg1ass said:

Ok , fine! 

O.o 

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

When the SC Kickstarter occurred, Roberts and crew claimed 'years' of work on the prototype.  Probably wasn't nearly as impressive work as they were claiming, but that's Roberts for you.   Since then, if it was useful to say they'd been at it for awhile, they'd make reference to that extra time.  When it was useful to ignore their statements, they ignored it.  

And of course, they always want more money:   Roberts may have seen some new geegaw to add to the game that pushes it back another six months.   The CIG record of hitting their goals and deadlines on time is pretty much nonexistent.   And they've milked this one for longer than Digital Anvil.  With the same results so far.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    it has t obe extremely embarrassing for this Robert's guy,he looks like a rank amateur at this point.He could have outsourced the entire project,had it finished,10x better production ,faster and could have come off looking great but instead managed to waste millions with tons of meaningless videos and doing god knows what.
    He is living the dream at this stage in gaming laws because there are no laws,nobody to answer to,free money,free to do as he pleases and can lie through his teeth with again,nobody to answer to,must be nice.

If he worked for my boss,he would have been fired a LONG long long time ago.

Here is the quote of the day...QOTD...

When the Tim Horton's employee screws up my coffee order every morning i think...at least he/she doesn't do it and cost me 130 million.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I will see your @dsmart and raise you an @Erillion !
    Can I get a @dsmart
    Have fun! ;)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• TatsuyaHirokiTatsuyaHiroki Member UncommonPosts: 108
    i smell another potential vaporware coming up

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Honestly at this point can you blame them?  People continue to throw money at them and supposedly...  once the game launches, you can earn any ship so ship sales will decrease dramatically.  Since the game is not supposed to have a subscription, but I am guessing they work that in by launch, at least in the same fashion as BDO, and most of the fans have already purchased it, it is in their best interest to continue to sell concept ships and rake it in while dragging out the development as long as they can.

At this point, they can say or promise anything, they dont have to actually do what they say.  Once the game launches, that all stops.  If I were Chris, I would drag this out for 10 more years and sell so many ships in concept that there would be no way to actually finish them all.  That would be 10 years of guaranteed revenue I could bank, which is more than any game that launches can normally count on. 

After the plane crashes that were Greed Monger and No Mans Sky, it should be quite clear to most of us that during development, a game maker can say anything they want and not face any kind of false advertising or criminal prosecution. 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    edited November 2016
    Talonsin said:
    Honestly at this point can you blame them?  People continue to throw money at them and supposedly...  once the game launches, [...]  
    Sorry mate, couldn't read further :)
    They've spend at least half of their budget on SQ42 (top tier acting, mocap (no when you go full mocap you can't reuse them on different characters), etc) for a single player game that
    a) will entertain you for weeks, not months
    b) is not finished yet (not a single mission)
    c) Has to be at least on par with CoD and ME cause if not it won't generate any revenue > All possible copies are already sold.

That leaves at max half of the budget for the MMO part - You know the MMO part that:
    a) promised 100+ systems
    sorry have to stop again cause too many tears in my eyes from laughing
    100 Systems that are handcrafted ... (the reason that they are using seeds, heighmaps and stamps don't make them procedural > you need to put hand on it = handcrafted)
    ok 100 systems lets assume every system has 5 planets and every planet has around 30 POI (which is not much some may be just rough roughness with 1 POI others may be cities with 100POI) this will add up to 15.000 POI (a POI could also be a landing zone but is something you need to - place there - make it interactable or at least  bug/clipping free - QA it -).
    So they need about 15.000 POI (or alternativ 500 bland planets) at launch (which is a stretch goal).
    If they manage somehow to create/place/test/QA a single POI/Planet every day it will take them 15.500 / 365 = 42 ( :D ) years.

In a concept where nothing is feature locked after 5 years (basically you don't need 300+ people or a franksteined Cryengine3 to feature lock something CR would be enough and he is working on it since 2011) ...

So yeah the decision to forget the "0." in v0.2.6 doesn't make this game come out of pre-alpha.

Expect the release somewhen around 2059 - until then buy more ships there are at least 42 Anniversary sales to come (if they start to finish a POI per day today).

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.