Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Playstation VR side effects

Comments

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Soki123 said:

Couldn t see this coming a mile away or anything.

It made me feel utterly crappy. Won t touch that shit. AR on the other hand is great.

yeah...umm...hell no
    LOL, Uhm,  hell yes

hell
    fucking
    no

that would be a LOT better in VR.

look little fuzzy starwars ships are flying around with my painting in the background. that is sooo immersive I feel like I am there in the future in space!
    Yep because not being able to move around your living space ...
    actually yes it is better.

that is how anti-immerisve it is to see little tiny fuzzy flickering tie fighters flying around my couch is. compared to this:

Nice edit of my whole sentence there champ.

I was referring to the video that was posted, not something in your mind. As I said later in my post VR is better than AR as far as the "sitting on your rear playing games" crowd is concerned. But the video myself and others are referring to is not a "sit on your rear" game. It's an "interact with your surroundings" game. Therefore AR is better than VR for that particular style of entertainment.

I don't know how much of your life savings you have invested in VR but it must be pretty substantial to get you bent so out of shape when someone dares to call out its obvious limitations. As I said, AR and VR are not mutually exclusive at all. They can exist together without taking away from each other. They are both niche products that will fill that niche fine as they both improve.

As that great poet Frankie said: Relax!

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited November 2016
    bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Soki123 said:

It made me feel utterly crappy. Won t touch that shit. AR on the other hand is great.

yeah...umm...hell no
    LOL, Uhm,  hell yes

hell
    fucking
    no

look little fuzzy starwars ships are flying around with my painting in the background. that is sooo immersive I feel like I am there in the future in space!

that is how anti-immerisve it is to see little tiny fuzzy flickering tie fighters flying around my couch is. compared to this:

I was referring to the video that was posted, not something in your mind. As I said later in my post VR is better than AR as far as the "sitting on your rear playing games" crowd is concerned. But the video myself and others are referring to is not a "sit on your rear" game. It's an "interact with your surroundings" game. Therefore AR is better than VR for that particular style of entertainment.

I don't know how much of your life savings you have invested in VR but it must be pretty substantial to get you bent so out of shape when someone dares to call out its obvious limitations. As I said, AR and VR are not mutually exclusive at all. They can exist together without taking away from each other. They are both niche products that will fill that niche fine as they both improve.

I am going to say it again.

YES...VR experience to me with all the not being able to see your real space and with the chance of hitting something and with limited space is STILL VASTLY better and more immersive then a bunch of fuzzy little tie fighters flying around my couch which to me doesnt look real and is an immersion killer.

Nothing you have said has change that point. and that is the point i was making with the video. do I need to say it a third time but yet somehow differently?

the thing is about the rest of your post is that it is STILL doesnt affect what I said or my counter point

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Well little follow up for you. I was never able to adjust to my issues with PSVR. After a week I gave up and have not touched VR since. Huge waste of time money and all the food I threw up. 
    Vive already has this; I believe it's integrated into its "Lighthouse" system.  I'll let @SEANMCAD tell you about Rift.

Gear VR has a "pass through camera"; that stated, I've never found cause for it (at least not out of necessity).  I do my VR gaming in a swivel chair (and it is great :smile:).  I also have a cold pak from Walgreens rigged to the front of the Gear VR with a rubber band system, so I couldn't use the passthrough camera even if I wanted to: again, though, there isn't any need for it.

The benefit of longer gaming sessions and better performance granted by the cold pak far outweighs the necessity of a passthrough camera.
    The more you know right? =)

Mine and others issue is when playing with K/M is not knowing where your fingers/hands is when using VR. Or where your drink is on your desk. Or who the hell just burst into my room. Having a pass through camera (now I know what to call it) is essential to proper gaming. Remember: not everybody uses a controller to play games. Controllers are only good for racing and games where accuracy is not needed. I can't imagine playing Skyrim or Fallout 4 or god forbid a MMO with a controller.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Soki123 said:

yeah...umm...hell no
    LOL, Uhm,  hell yes

hell
    fucking
    no

YES...VR experience to me with all the not being able to see your real space and with the chance of hitting something and with limited space is STILL VASTLY better and more immersive then a bunch of fuzzy little tie fighters flying around my couch which to me doesnt look real and is an immersion killer.

Nothing you have said has change that point. and that is the point i was making with the video. do I need to say it a third time but yet somehow differently?
    Nothing anyone will say will ever change your outlook, no matter what the topic is.  Even when you blatantly contradict facts.  Your belief is counterintuitive to how things actually are.  

That being said, you get to have your opinion that VR is better.  It's an opinion.  Just because you think it's better doesn't make it so, though.  

I'm excited about AR in a much broader context.  I do not and never will use a VR set every day.  AR on the other hand I see being used for my workflow,  my entertainment, my gaming, communication platforms.  

A world where you no longer need a TV, or Computer, or Wires, and can wear the set everywhere if you want.  

I could potentially be sitting in a doctors office playing Skyrim with a screen the size of a projector screen floating 5 feet away and never miss a beat of what's going on around me.
    cameltosis

edited November 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Soki123 said:

yeah...umm...hell no
    LOL, Uhm,  hell yes

hell
    fucking
    no

Nothing anyone will say will ever change your outlook, no matter what the topic is.  Even when you blatantly contradict facts.  Your belief is counterintuitive to how things actually are.  

That being said, you get to have your opinion that VR is better.  It's an opinion.  Just because you think it's better doesn't make it so, though.  

I'm excited about AR in a much broader context.  I do not and never will use a VR set every day.  AR on the other hand I see being used for my workflow,  my entertainment, my gaming, communication platforms.  

A world where you no longer need a TV, or Computer, or Wires, and can wear the set everywhere if you want.  

I could potentially be sitting in a doctors office playing Skyrim with a screen the size of a projector screen floating 5 feet away and never miss a beat of what's going on around me.
    dude! this entire conversation about AR has been completely and totally from both sides 100% based on opinion and what a person perfers so I have not a clue what you are ranting on about at this time.

I think AR is a novelty however I do see where it can have some practical productivity applications but for entertainment more of a novelty than VR is. I think in the context of VR vs AR I think AR is a HUGE immersion killer and very limited in what it can bring to the table. 

This is not a fact, this is my opinion that yes, is likely not going to change

are we clear yet or is there still some confusion?
    cameltosis

SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Soki123 said:

yeah...umm...hell no
    LOL, Uhm,  hell yes

hell
    fucking
    no

A perfect summary of my favorite contrarian here.

He is so myopic that he doesn't see I'm actually agreeing with him on VR being better for sit-down gaming than AR. It's pretty funny.
    cameltosis

bartoni33 said:

A perfect summary of my favorite contrarian here.

He is so myopic that he doesn't see I'm actually agreeing with him on VR being better for sit-down gaming than AR. It's pretty funny.
    this entire conversation today by its very essence is 100% opinion based in the first place.

Its CORE is about 'which do you perfer'

sweet mother of god

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    edited November 2016
    psiic said:
    Well little follow up for you. I was never able to adjust to my issues with PSVR. After a week I gave up and have not touched VR since. Huge waste of time money and all the food I threw up. 
    Did you try any gentler experiences and limiting your time as suggested?  Otherwise, I can't help but read this as: 'even though it was recommended I begin on the greens and blues and to take it easy, I charged headlong down the double black diamonds and always wiped out'

Sorry for the winter sports reference.

Also worth noting I really don't know what the landscape of available experiences for PSVR is like; I can't imagine that they didn't bother to rate the comfortability of each experience, though?

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    The few people I actually know who have used VR have lost interest.  They really need better games and some people can't play for long times which better games force you to do.  Nobody wants to take frequent breaks during intense gameplay, it works against itself and is a real immersion breaker.  Perhaps they can work this out, perhaps.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    The few people I actually know who have used VR have lost interest.  They really need better games and some people can't play for long times which better games force you to do.  Nobody wants to take frequent breaks during intense gameplay, it works against itself and is a real immersion breaker.  Perhaps they can work this out, perhaps.
    I can go for hours without taking a break... it didn't use to be this way.  It takes getting adjusted to.

I'm also having a great time with the available experiences (Gear VR).  They are rated "Comfortable / Moderate / Intense" which works quite well for just getting acclimated (hey @maskedweasel I tried InCell before looking up its comfort rating, that was intense which you neglected to tell me :smile:, I enjoyed it though).

Vendetta Online and Minecraft are both what I would consider "Killer Apps" for GVR.  Dreadhalls, Dead Secret, Quake (sideloaded), Jump, Nomads, National Parks, and Within are also not to be missed.  Nomads almost reduced me to tears the first time which I can't say is true of any hitherto computing experience, ever.  Dreadhalls terrified me.  Vendetta Online was (is!) almost like a religious experience.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

what you are defining implicitly as immersion is not. it reads like you just decided to use that word as a 'killer' randomly because I used it.
    cameltosis

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    I can go for hours without taking a break... it didn't use to be this way.  It takes getting adjusted to.

I'm also having a great time with the available experiences (Gear VR).  They are rated "Comfortable / Moderate / Intense" which works quite well for just getting acclimated (hey @maskedweasel I tried InCell before looking up its comfort rating, that was intense which you neglected to tell me :smile:, I enjoyed it though).

Vendetta Online and Minecraft are both what I would consider "Killer Apps" for GVR.  Dreadhalls, Dead Secret, Quake (sideloaded), Jump, Nomads, National Parks, and Within are also not to be missed.  Nomads almost reduced me to tears the first time which I can't say is true of any hitherto computing experience, ever.  Dreadhalls terrified me.  Vendetta Online was (is!) almost like a religious experience.
    Sorry about that! I still think it's one of the better games out there!  I haven't tried vendetta yet, but I'm interested in it as it appears to be your favorite thus far.

edited November 2016
    ...Dreadhalls, Dead Secret, Quake (sideloaded), Jump, Nomads, National Parks, and Within are also not to ...
    as a side note: There are very few experiences I have had in gaming where I quickly get that actual physical smile and 'giddy flash feeling'. I dont think those experiences (I will called 'giddy') are proof positive of long term compelling game play, nor evidence of not. I think its separate so I am not suggesting such experiences are evidence that a game is compelling long term, but I do think they are extremely rare. With that huge disclaimer aside:

I just had my first 'giddy' experience in a non-VR game. Planet Coaster riding a ride was cool as shit and that is not even in VR...yet. My last one in VR was by watching Henry anyway..no real point there just an observation I wanted to share

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    CrazKanuk said:
    If it makes you feel any better, you get the same feeling with Oculus VR. I don't think there is a good solution to this at the moment. We've got a rig along with Eve Valkyrie at work and it's pretty horribad, even on high-powered systems. I'd love to say that increasing framerate or some high-tech solution is available, but we've got some pretty OP systems running it here and still have the problem. On a positive note, it won't be as bad in all games. I hear that ginger is a great natural solution for preventing nausea. 
    Off topic: does ginger REALLY work??  I have been dealing with repeated bouts of intermittent nausea lately, so I'm curious.  Should also see a doc soon, I guess, if it stubbornly persists.

• Furh79Furh79 Member UncommonPosts: 185
    If your system starts behaving erratically after an hour or two of use, the best option is usually to reboot ! :D

Your anecdote is interesting, but is unlikely be shared by the average user. No company would knowingly market a product which leaves the average user incapable of getting a spoon into a cooking pot after an hour of play. The inevitable lawsuits would put them out of business.

I expect that some people will undoubtedly have extreme physical reactions to VR gaming. Just as some borderline epiliptic's may have seizures just playing an ordinary video game. VR is untested territory, and human beings come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes.

Some people suffer from crippling motion-sickness. They won't ever know it until they go out on a small boat out of sight of land.

I don't know you are talking about Sony here they pushed a product they knew was not finished and helped the developers deceitfully market the game to their customers (No Mans Sky).
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Setting VR to feel right takes a lot of work which I don't think a lot of developers will do. You really need to study how the eye works. Our eyes don't look straight in front of us. They look slightly inward, and how we focus at different depths is by making the eyes come inward further until we look cross-eyed. Simulating that feeling in VR would be quite difficult. You would have to set up the focal like the normal human eye focusing out to a certain distance, then allow the user's eyes to come inward on its own in order to see objects closer. Ideally this would be a wide FOV per eye on a rounded display. The image itself would need to not have depth of field effects. It would also require a way to set a users eye spacing that is read into the computer so it can accurately place the camera within a scene.
    edited December 2016
    Cleffy said:
    Setting VR to feel right takes a lot of work which I don't think a lot of developers will do. You really need to study how the eye works. Our eyes don't look straight in front of us. They look slightly inward, and how we focus at different depths is by making the eyes come inward further until we look cross-eyed. Simulating that feeling in VR would be quite difficult. You would have to set up the focal like the normal human eye focusing out to a certain distance, then allow the user's eyes to come inward on its own in order to see objects closer. Ideally this would be a wide FOV per eye on a rounded display. The image itself would need to not have depth of field effects. It would also require a way to set a users eye spacing that is read into the computer so it can accurately place the camera within a scene.
    A lot of that is imbedded into the API itself an abstracted out for the game developer.
    In other words, that is the work that Oculus and Valve already did.

I have seen the Unity Game API for Oculus and its painfully easy to use. That said, the trick in VR is the question of controls. Both physical controls like Touch etc but also menus and displays etc.

There is also the concern of making a game that hopefuly can work in both enviroments (VR and non-VR) thus you are not limiting your sells to only early adpoters

• OnPlayOnPlay Member CommonPosts: 5
    Well, one thing for sure, as you play any VR in the entire world and you might have a problem in seeing. It may cause your eyes a bit blurry when looking to something aside from using the VR.

Playstation VR is different - there's practically no screen-door effect, but could be harmful to some and can affect the way they see. 

Imagine walking around every day wearing a beekeeper's hat and mask. While it wouldn't be a nuisance for only few a minutes and would be quite welcome if you were actually working with bees, going about daily activities, like working in an office, would become quite tiresome. These are some of the effect as you used VR more likely the whole day.

It's going to be a great thing that you experience playing VR,but getting addicted to it always falls under the impression that it is really harmful in any ages that might used it. Always, moderation has guides us. Thanks!
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Steam has been trying to flog its VR games lately even after I customized my queue to exclude them.

edited April 2017
    OnPlay said:
    Well, one thing for sure, as you play any VR in the entire world and you might have a problem in seeing. It may cause your eyes a bit blurry when looking to something aside from using the VR.

Playstation VR is different - there's practically no screen-door effect, but could be harmful to some and can affect the way they see. 

Imagine walking around every day wearing a beekeeper's hat and mask. While it wouldn't be a nuisance for only few a minutes and would be quite welcome if you were actually working with bees, going about daily activities, like working in an office, would become quite tiresome. These are some of the effect as you used VR more likely the whole day.

It's going to be a great thing that you experience playing VR,but getting addicted to it always falls under the impression that it is really harmful in any ages that might used it. Always, moderation has guides us. Thanks!
    out of all the VR headsets out there that are not for phones from my undestanding PS version has the MOST screendoor effect, not the least.

also, everything else you just making up and randomly pulling from nowhere. you might as well say 'it might cause acne'

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    CrazKanuk said:
    If it makes you feel any better, you get the same feeling with Oculus VR. I don't think there is a good solution to this at the moment. We've got a rig along with Eve Valkyrie at work and it's pretty horribad, even on high-powered systems. I'd love to say that increasing framerate or some high-tech solution is available, but we've got some pretty OP systems running it here and still have the problem. On a positive note, it won't be as bad in all games. I hear that ginger is a great natural solution for preventing nausea. 
    Off topic: does ginger REALLY work??  I have been dealing with repeated bouts of intermittent nausea lately, so I'm curious.  Should also see a doc soon, I guess, if it stubbornly persists.
    Yes, ginger can help with nausea. Nice little read from University of Maryland Medical Center on the subject. As with anything, your mileage may vary. Also found a somewhat helpful article on helping with virtual reality sickness 
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited April 2017
    To get back on track....

Now I don't have motion sickness, either in cars or on boats, so I haven't actually tried this but there's a relatively new device which apparently helps people that have VR side effects and motion sickness in general.  I have also read taking a couple grams of ginger  30mins before your car/boat ride helps combat motion sickness.

For ginger you need to talk to your Doc about it if you're on prescription blood thinners as apparently that can be a bad mix.

What I find really interesting though is this new device: http://www.reliefband.com/vr/ .

Source
    When New Atlas' VR team tested it, we found it to work remarkably well. While I still experienced the faintest traces of nausea, I'd estimate it was reduced by at least 70-90 percent when wearing Reliefband. It was easily comfortable enough to make it through the most ralph-inducing games.

...skip....

Of course two game reviewers' experiences do not a double-blind, peer-reviewed scientific study make. But on a purely anecdotal level, we can vouch for Reliefband. It feels real to me: If this is a placebo, then it's a highly-effective one that worked far beyond our expectations.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• christianjosephchristianjoseph Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Well, It seems exaggerated for me but I am not sure of because its psiic's experience though. On the other side, I have a cousin who played VR and it was a horror play. Watching him screaming like nuts and looking side to side and at the back really makes me laugh. We actually took a video of him. He was kind of startled at times and then shout again. He said he really had fun playing it. Afterwards, he's still like gasping for breath. Lol. Just sharing though.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Brown pants is the side effect I am having after playing Resident Evil 7 on my PSVR. I'm pretty sure they were going for that though. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung