Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just tried the new F2P version of EVE.

Comments

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Alpha skills are thoroughly compatible with the faction warfare meta

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    H0urg1ass said:
    On the other hand, if you ever die to a gate camp again after this patch, then you're just a lazy fuck, cause now you can have scouts logged off at all the major chokepoints for free.
    No, you can't. CCP isn't that stupid...
  • tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Talonsin said:
    F2P is not the answer for Eve.  Most people have already tried it and dont like it while younger gamers dont care much for games that require thought...

If CCP really wanted to bring new life to Eve, they would let people play for free but only as NPC factions like the Angel Cartel or as a whole new invading faction.  Imagine if there were ten systems randomly placed in null that F2P players were allowed to spawn in that were restricted to the F2P faction only and had a station where they could resupply, they were given free ships of crusier and lower and they were given the mission to take over null space.  The regular null alliances would have to really coordinate things to fight back this new invading hoard...

Fun for F2P players and new targets for the paying players.  I have often wondered why no game does this.  Make the F2P people weaker like orcs and paying players stronger like space marines.  One on one the paying player would always win but in packs or hoards, the F2P people could actually win. If the free players side gets too big, introduce "limited time" special weapons for the paying players to restore the balance.  The players would make their own content just like in Eve and all you would have to worry about as developers is not letting one side totally dominate the other.
    That's an interesting idea.  I would consider it a challenge.
    Hehehehehehe..... A true pay 2 win idea :)

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Typical CCP - no content that's good or new for 8 years - just gimmicks.

As soon as players can walk on temerate planets in Star Citizen or Elite: Dangerous, why bother with Eve?
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

As soon as players can walk on temerate planets in Star Citizen or Elite: Dangerous, why bother with Eve?
    Tell me when that actually happens first.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Malcanis said:
    Hariken said:
    Alpha means cannon fodder for veteran players. Way to restrictive to keep any of the f2p players for to long. I give it a month.

You give what a month, exactly?
    A month for f2p players to lose interest and quit.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Er...players can walk around on temperate planets in literally thousands of games right now.

So if people play EVE without that feature now, what really changes when/if SC and ED finally do?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059

We'll probably be walking on other planets in real life before Star Citizen releases.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited November 2016
    Kyleran said:
    Er...players can walk around on temperate planets in literally thousands of games right now.

So if people play EVE without that feature now, what really changes when/if SC and ED finally do?
    Well........people can also fight on Spaceships in SC, while in the other thousands of games they can't.
    SC will have both Space Battle and Surface Battle, It's the combination that is lethal.

But I am curios, since you are an hardcore EVE player, I have a question.
    Would you still play EVE if CCP would merge it with Dust 514?
    I am really curious as I believe it's the only way EVE can compete with SC if it ever gets released, while some other people say that EVE players won't like that.
    Which is it?

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

Sandbox, players create the content. No thank-you required.
  • knightfall98knightfall98 Member UncommonPosts: 64
    the most important question is, how many spreedsheet pages did you have open to be able to be useful and functioning?
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405

Yeah I think that the first serious game that adds a ground game to an EVE-type space game will eat heavily from the population of the venerable icelandic modern art fest. Anthropomorphism should not be underestimated: it's why people dress up their dogs and cats :)  
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Kyleran said:

The advantage EVE has there is that most playing are established in the game at this point to some degree. That's something that is hard to walk away from. Starting something new means starting anew.

That said, as for SC and ED; as they become full fledged games, if they do rather... EVE's potential growth (which is already hurting according to them) will be greatly diminished going forward. If they become the it place to be for space sim fans, that will surely pull some people away from EVE, how many is anyone's guess.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

ste2000 said:
    Kyleran said:

Well........people can also fight on Spaceships in SC, while in the other thousands of games they can't.
    SC will have both Space Battle and Surface Battle, It's the combination that is lethal.

But I am curios, since you are an hardcore EVE player, I have a question.
    Would you still play EVE if CCP would merge it with Dust 514?
    I am really curious as I believe it's the only way EVE can compete with SC if it ever gets released, while some other people say that EVE players won't like that.
    Which is it?

You do realise that Dust 514 has shut down, right? I happened quite a whle ago.

the most important question is, how many spreedsheet pages did you have open to be able to be useful and functioning?
    ha ha ha the joke that people who have never played EVE never fail to trot out

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Kyleran said:

This is why:

The only reason why you play Eve Online, Kyleran, is because I pursauded you to play Eve Online on these forums about 10 years ago.

I pursauded you because at that time Eve Online was the best game that captured the essence of a science fiction universe. It was the best game that captured the essence of films such as Star Wars.

Very soon there will be games that capsure that essence better than Eve Online. CCP have let their game be superceded.

The sad thing is that most people saw that day coming since 2009 when CCP abandoned their vision of 'walking in stations'.

You will argue that people play Eve Online because of the big multi-player space battles. But I don't agree.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    It is a 10 year old game - what did you expect it be top dog forever? No way.

~6100 people in the Rookie Help channel just now. EVE is dying!

Very soon there will be games that capsure that essence better than Eve Online...
    Yeah i know, Star Citizen is due it in late 2014. I hope CCP have got an answer ready for that.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    It will be interesting to see how many people actually stay.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Malcanis said:
    Wow post after post. Look at you!  If you run fast enough you can catch all the falling rocks.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Kyleran said:

This is why:

The only reason why you play Eve Online, Kyleran, is because I pursauded you to play Eve Online on these forums about 10 years ago.

I pursauded you because at that time Eve Online was the best game that captured the essence of a science fiction universe. It was the best game that captured the essence of films such as Star Wars.

Very soon there will be games that capsure that essence better than Eve Online. CCP have let their game be superceded.

The sad thing is that most people saw that day coming since 2009 when CCP abandoned their vision of 'walking in stations'.

You will argue that people play Eve Online because of the big multi-player space battles. But I don't agree.
    Has the number of players in SC exceeded 16 per instance yet?

SC will have its own market no doubt, if it ever gets finished, just don't expect it to be an Eve competitor, as i suspect its an entirely different game, and since they just took on one of Hello Games developers, who knows what kind of game it will turn out to be, and how much 'multiplayer' there will actually be  :p
  • Andel_SkaarAndel_Skaar Member UncommonPosts: 401
    edited November 2016
    Wizardry said:
    My thoughts are much more in depth.
    It is not about the price or rewards ,it is about the LACK OF game.

For myself i can enjoy ANY kind of game/genre ,it does not matter ,but i need to see a well designed game from the bottom up.
    Anyone who knows Eve knows it was RUSHED,they struggled to even get this game out there.So in reality it was never fully planned for long term but in stead just a rushed idea to get players fighting in space with VERY little additional game play.
    I need more than ships in space,mainly because space is just too bland/boring.I need more than a cockpit with a hud,again too boring.

asteroids.....some cheap form of mining,no thanks ,not nearly good enough,so yo u see this game just lacks in every aspect of it's design,so what exactly would be the attraction to a gamer looking for a complete game?
    The game is 10+ years old, and you are going on about it being rushed out. If you are still hanging onto this after 10yrs the issue is yours.

Its a sandbox, its up to the players to create the content. Lots of people say they enjoy the sandbox. What they really mean is they enjoy the sandbox as long as others are creating the content.

I think you made this post to complain just because you can.
    Archeage is sandbox and it has gazillion of options to choose from what to do in the game.

Though yeah, its apretty new mmo.
    adam_nox said:
    Malcanis said:
    Wow post after post. Look at you!  If you run fast enough you can catch all the falling rocks.
    I have a spreadsheet to organise my posting.