Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Big World 3.2 Crafting Test...

FrammshammFrammshamm Member UncommonPosts: 322
...is fucking awesome. Shit, its missing 80% of its features and its still 1000x more fun than Revelation online. All you do is run around a gather and try to make stuff. The risk feels great and the crafting, even 90% stripped down, feels great. Crowfall saved my weekend from Revelation Online.

Comments

• RamajamaRamajama Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Great post
  • Erinak1Erinak1 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    DMKano said:
    ...is fucking awesome. Shit, its missing 80% of its features and its still 1000x more fun than Revelation online. All you do is run around a gather and try to make stuff. The risk feels great and the crafting, even 90% stripped down, feels great. Crowfall saved my weekend from Revelation Online.
    Not to knock Crowfall, but watching paint dry is more fun than Revelation Online - talk about setting the bar low, heh
    I was wondering why he would play a game he felt the need to be saved from. 
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    For anyone curious, this is how Big World early tests actually look like, Zybak's first impressions (of course, it's still quite rough and yadda...):

W...aaagh?
  • FrammshammFrammshamm Member UncommonPosts: 322
    on top of it all the devs actually communicate with the community. Its down right amazing. I streamed about 20 hours of 3.2 testing this weekend. At one point, around 1am Friday night, Blixtev, the lead crafting designer just hops into my stream. Im a nobody. Its literally him and like 6 others homeless guys watching me hit copper and get smoked in pvp. Blixtev proceeds to hang out in stream for like 3 hours. We encountered several bugs which he noted and actually fixed ON THE SPOT.  This pre-alhpa was light years ahead of Paint Dry online... errr, Revelation Online.

#DmKano.. I didnt mean to set the bar low, its just that RO was on the brain since i had originally intended to spend my weekend streaming bad ass RO, only to find that people werent interested in seeing me get a 4500 on Trial of Kings for the 43rd time while I waited for Akuta to spawn. Maybe my loli-underwear wasnt sexy enough to attract the devs at My.com into spending time with me at the afk-game Hot Springs.
    I sure hope you didnt spend 250$+ in hopes of playing pre-alpha for fun like a demo. 
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    What does everyone think of the harvesting?  It litters the environment with item drops, that you have to run around and pick up.  The only purpose I see is to increase the risk of harvesting.  Game design wants other players to come along and steal loot that is littering the ground, to force crafters to fight for their harvests.  Many see that as favoring Guilds or Groups.  Even if the Harvester hires players to act as guards, you don't know if and when they will turn on them and Player Kill (PK).

If a couple of gankers want to PK a player harvesting nodes and kill the player and loot the corpse.  I'm fine with that.  Let them suffer equipment degradation and loss from wear and tear.  If they want new equipment then they have to waste time and skill points learning to craft.  Or they will have to buy from crafters, at a high cost do to their automatic notoriety for stealing from crafters.  This means an automatic 20% to 75% is added onto the price, scaled to their infamy.  They could sell or give their loot to an infamous crafter and not suffer the surcharge.

I'm also not a fan of sigil based harvesting tools.  I say make an axe an axe, a hammer a hammer, and a shovel a shovel.  If this is just a placeholder for the time being, then fine, carry on then.  I also believe harvesting should have limits.  One harvester should be free to harvest all the available nodes in the world.  They should specialize in order to harvest higher tier materials, and this should block other harvesting specialties from leveling.  For example a higher tiered lumberjack / woodworker  would have to buy a metal workers fifth tier axe blade.  Then combine it with her fifth tier wood crafted axe handle to make a higher tier harvesting axe.  Maybe combine / embed some magic stones in the blade and handle also.

Am I on track with how thing are developing or not?  What do y'all think of my strategy in general?  Does it have a place in this game, or any game?

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

1. When a nod pops out ore, its bound to the person. Its not for others to run over it.. but it does allow others to see that you are popping tons of ores and blues and greens, thus making it valuable to risk trying to kill you.

2. harvesting skills are just like any other skill in this game. You level them with time and can only level 1 at a time. This will naturally lead to specialized crafters. Sure, you can go around with your gold top tier axe and cut trees (maybe, unless you need more pen in order to do dmg) but you wont get shit for them. Youll be putting yourself at risk and putting durability hit on your tools for not much reward. You would be much better off spending your time harvesting the materials you are trained for. Think of it like eve. Sure.. anyone can slap on a mining laser and mine Veldspar. But if you are trained in using ice harvestors, thats what you want to be doing. Yes, you can go out to .7 space and get a good amount of veldspar, but you would be making much less isk/hr doing that than if you were in a .7 ice belt.
  • ZushakonZushakon Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Big World testing has been a ton of fun so far! Plenty of bugs and problems with inventory, but gameplay is really shaping up, crafting is looking to be super intricate and deep, open world PvP is fucking awesome. All in all it's pretty much the best MMO experience to be found right now imho, despite it feeling very early stage(as it is).

Darkfall Unholy Wars:
    Zushakon Odi