Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Early Access Impressions - TheHiveLeader - Hero's Song Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2016 in Videos Discussion

imageEarly Access Impressions - TheHiveLeader - Hero's Song Videos - MMORPG.com

In his latest impressions video, TheHiveLeader takes a look at John Smedley's Hero's Song, currently in Early Access on Steam.

Read the full story here

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Great video! The game doesn't interest me however.
  • Krynt0kKrynt0k Member UncommonPosts: 256
    I havent watched a single one of your videos without laughing out loud. Bravo! Thanks for sharing I think this game could be something I can play on my surface pro during downtimes
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Think he covered things pretty good for now. The game has improved a massive amount since closed alpha 3. Just a note the game is still considered in alpha by the developer even though they did a early access, been seeing a couple people in other treads calling it beta.

There are still tons of issues that I tend to run across here or there most times I play, but the good news is that the developers are listening and responding to the players and making changes all the time.

The biggest improvement for me was adding x,y coords, took me 6 hours of playing to find a dungeon in my first world because you just ran around blindly looking the map didn't work back then either. They have increased the amount on monsters by a great amount now also, the first time I played I thought I was playing a walking simulator as I hardly ran into anything, now about every 5 clicks on the x,y axis I hit something.

Just some advice if you play the game, craft a healing ring as soon as you find the mats, you can get lucky sometimes and have them drop from Orc overlords to though. They heal 1 hp a sec but adds up fast and you don't have to stop and create campfires or bandages. Caster classes also seem to be easier to learn to play when you first start out as melee classes tend to get overwhelmed fast if you are not careful.
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Thanks HL, another funny video. ^^ As for the game, if dear old Smed has anything to do with it, I'm not interested. Why? NGE and EQN come to mind...
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    My thought is had they included a video like this (or had The Hive Leader make a video) their kickstarter would have been more successful.

This video was great, it gave enough flavor/information to have me intrigued.

And I too love games that encourage one to explore.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    WoW, Hero's Song (HS) is an MORPG.  Meaning it isn't a solo game.  I dropped the first M for those who complain it isn't Massive.  Again HS is a survival & crafting MORPG.  Form a party of a variety of classes.  That's why it has so many classes.  Form a Trinity, gather resources, and start crafting better gear.  Once you have better gear start leveling.  Tank, Ranged DPS, and Heal.  Right now it is a sandbox, meaning there is nothing to do but kill mobs, loot, and craft.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Wraithone said:
    Thanks HL, another funny video. ^^ As for the game, if dear old Smed has anything to do with it, I'm not interested. Why? NGE and EQN come to mind...
    Why keep  a grudge over stupid crap?
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    I am an unabashed graphics snob. In 2016 I just can't accept games that look like this. For me gameplay and art style/graphics have equal footing in deciding what i spend money on. Great gameplay and 30 year old graphics are just as unacceptable as great graphics with terrible gameplay.

Throw Smed into the mix and this is simply a game that I would never consider playing.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Looks like it's coming along nicely.  I'm looking forward to jumping in at some point.
    Same , got plenty on my plate and can wait till they get some more content and out bug sqaushing done , But really looking forward to it , Love Rogue-likes and MMOs so this is shaping up great for me :)
  • OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568

carotid said:

Wraithone said:

You call it keeping a grudge, I call it learning from history.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    I am an unabashed graphics snob. In 2016 I just can't accept games that look like this. For me gameplay and art style/graphics have equal footing in deciding what i spend money on. Great gameplay and 30 year old graphics are just as unacceptable as great graphics with terrible gameplay.

Throw Smed into the mix and this is simply a game that I would never consider playing.
    While I agree with you as far as art design/graphics having equal weight to game play I think, at least for me, there is an acceptance of taking something for "what it is".

For example, I can still play space invaders at an arcade even though its graphics are very "pixel full".

Something like this is "retro" and there is a novelty to that. For me the biggest issue would be the art design in the context of the art style.

If there was a lot of silliness or whimsy was everywhere I would have more problem with that.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ManWithNoTanManWithNoTan Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Thanks for the fun video. I've been having some fun with this game so far, despite it's alpha state. So far, they have pushed 4 updates in 10 days, which is cool. I like the direction and ideas that the team has presented and hope that they deliver what they say they will. I also like exploration type games. This one got me hyped enough to purchase another early access game on Steam, which I swore off of doing (again.) Personally, I like the graphics style. It's not totally pixel. It seems similar to Don't Starve. There isn't much to do yet, other than kill stuff, level, craft some gear and wander forever trying to find a dungeon. I hope they update the map feature soon. The team is responsive on their forums too, which is good.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

carotid said:

Wraithone said:

Your right! When the next game being marketed by Jason Appleton or Sean Murray shows up, I am going to buy it. I mean, past performance is no reason to judge a current product, am I rite???
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    I think it looks good.
    I hope they take another pass on character models as the game progresses. Nothing major just some refinement on their art.
  • bobbymcswansonbobbymcswanson Member UncommonPosts: 204

Anyone knows any interesting features they are planning to add to the game?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Herossong/comments/5dgsbm/heres_a_short_list_of_what_were_working_on_right/
  • bobbymcswansonbobbymcswanson Member UncommonPosts: 204
    Player housing/towns are coming also.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    "Potential" lmao

I give it a 3/10 if this was 1985,but this is 2016,i give it a 1/10 not sure how i justify a 1.
    How could anyone at all,justify playing this over the MANY MUCH better options out there?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• bennylongbennylong Member UncommonPosts: 100
    The. Never forget
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Wizardry said:
    "Potential" lmao

I give it a 3/10 if this was 1985,but this is 2016,i give it a 1/10 not sure how i justify a 1.
    How could anyone at all,justify playing this over the MANY MUCH better options out there?

Seriously Ultima Online was doing more back in 1997.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Talonsin said:

carotid said:

Wraithone said:

Your right! When the next game being marketed by Jason Appleton or Sean Murray shows up, I am going to buy it. I mean, past performance is no reason to judge a current product, am I rite???
    How is that even close to being within the same realm of logic? There's a huge difference between scamming people as those you mentioned did, and making a bad decision (that more than one company had a hand in) or canceling a project (as it was obvious the company itself was in disarray, and had no future).. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Surprisingly untainted review, this guy should do them more often.
  • Krynt0kKrynt0k Member UncommonPosts: 256

Nilden said:

Wizardry said:

"Potential" lmao

Seriously Ultima Online was doing more back in 1997.

Unfortunately your right. I never would of guessed when I fell in love with the genre in 1997 that It was already as good as it would get. I imagined limitless possibilities. Now loom at me, getting excited over this game. What happened???
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

Pretty fun little game so far. I am interested in seeing where they take it and develop it further.

Yup. I feel the same way! Lots of potential!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

Aori said:

Good video. The art design of the game doesn't interest me though. The trees bug me.. a lot.

wait until you see the buildings, lol

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!