Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which MMO has the best crafting?

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
edited November 2016 in Polls
Simple and straightforward: which MMO do you feel had the best crafting system and why? Vote below and tell us why in the comments!

Comments

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    I've never been huge into crafting until recent years, but it should come as no surprise to anyone that Star Wars Galaxies was my pick here. SWG let you do anything from craft spaceships to bio engineer creatures. I don't think I've seen anything like it since. Not only was there a breadth of options, but the depth with which you could explore each crafting discipline was equally impressive.

I only messed with crafting in SWG as a Ranger making traps and camps and such, but I befriended quite a few dedicated crafters and I was always in awe of the effort they put into not only making their wares, but venturing out to mine the best resources on the server.
  • Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    edited November 2016
    hands down EvE, no other game has such reliance as eve, the most abundant/easiest to gather item in eve, is required for 99.5% of all products in game, it has full cycle from start to finish, and not simplistic as 'learn recipient = craft item every time'
    None of this just 1 metal or 1 rare metal from Mob X in deep dungeon to craft the shiniest item :)

The fact that barely any item (i think its under 2%  of anything in game) can be in game unless its built shows that regardless of what people think of EvE it was designed with player crafting in mind.

Love it, and for all my 8 years in eve, 6 have been spent either solely building, or having it as my sole income for my pvp, in fact last 3 years i have been building everything and not even bothering to undock, i love the complexity and the synergy between science and industry 

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    eq2 even in its current state still takes the lead, and if you roll back to eq2 launch before it was simplified it was leagues ahead of anything since.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited November 2016
    SWG also amazing system for the reasons you listed , UO and Vanguard also great crafting systems , but i give the vote to SWG.. And lo i went the same route Ranger makin camps etc..
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I can only vouch for games I've liked and played extensively, but Black Desert Online is one of them and it's overall crafting is the most wonderfully complex and engrossing one I've experienced. 

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    EQ2 all the way.

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    edited November 2016
    For me:

1. Star Wars Galaxies

2. Ultima Online

3. Dofus
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I've never been deep into crafting in games, probably cause I'm a crafter in real life ;)

I do think that crafting in the Vanguard beta was the most interesting I've ever tried. Not in the things you made but in the way you made them. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    Love SWG, I think their ECONOMY was really the best part about their crafting..  but Vanguard had the most varied (albeit eventually monotonous) crafting.  It was an actual, "skill" based minigame.   At this time in the polls SWG and Vanguard are tied, and that's where I'm going to leave it.  They are equally good.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Love SWG, I think their ECONOMY was really the best part about their crafting..  but Vanguard had the most varied (albeit eventually monotonous) crafting.  It was an actual, "skill" based minigame.   At this time in the polls SWG and Vanguard are tied, and that's where I'm going to leave it.  They are equally good.
    The release version was simplified quite a bit from the beta's

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

Not my vote list.  Not my vote list.   Oh crap sorry I had a brain seizure.  I demand a new list with Rift as the only option.

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    As far as those on the list I would say VG and ESO. The one not on the list I would have to say UO.
  • ApexTKMApexTKM Member UncommonPosts: 334
    Definitely SWG and I'm glad to see other mmos and future mmos inspired by their crafting system.
    The acronym MMORPG use to mean Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game.

But the acronym MMMORPG now currently means Microscopic Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game. Kappa.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    It might not be the best, but it's accessible. As someone who isn't a hardcore crafter and hates having to rely on super rare mats but who does see the sense of crafting your own gear, ESO strikes the right balance.

I maxed all crafting here - first time I've ever done that in an MMO.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    I voted for SWG because im sure that nobody knows about Salem: The crafting MMO

Iselin said:
    It might not be the best, but it's accessible. As someone who isn't a hardcore crafter and hates having to rely on super rare mats but who does see the sense of crafting your own gear, ESO strikes the right balance.

I maxed all crafting here - first time I've ever done that in an MMO.
    I enjoy ESo also , have crafted my own food and Bows thruout the entire game now ... Definitley worthwhile crafting which is most important for my mileage
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited November 2016
    Wurm Online. It is the only game I have ever played where being a crafter actually feels immersive. In pretty much every MMO you go out and you gather materials, then you bring the materials to a certain place and execute a recipe. You then watch a bar fill up until the recipe is done. Maybe that bar takes a few seconds during which you can't do anything else (WoW) or maybe it takes hours or days but you can walk away and do something else in the meantime. (EVE)

But not Wurm. Let's take a typical day as a Wurm blacksmith. If you mine your own metal and create chop your own logs you might start out by filling up on the materials you intend to use that day, which will generally take 10-30 minutes. In the not unlikely case that you don't provide your own materials, you'll probably find that a villager has already filled your bulk storage bin with the things you needed, or that you filled up your supplies from a merchant who delivered them to you.

You then put the materials you want to work with into your forge and light the forge. This is both the metal you'll be using, and any items people may have asked you to improve. Once the items are glowing hot you take your tools and some high grade metal of the same type as the items and begin improving them. Improving can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours depending on your skills and how high you want to get the item. Any kind of tool, armor, weapon etc. that isn't improved is virtually useless so crafters who can improve your items are actually highly valued.

What this all boils down to is that a blacksmith is just that. A blacksmith. They aren't some adventurer/miner that goes out to find materials to use in their items. They are someone who works a forge in order to produce valuable goods using materials they may or may not have gone out and got themselves.

It's hard to stomach any other MMO's crafting system once you've played Wurm. They all just feel so hands-off and poorly conceived. IMO Wurm's crafting system is the only system worth the term "crafting" system while the rest are actually gathering systems.
    edited November 2016
    SlyLoK said:
    As far as those on the list I would say VG and ESO. The one not on the list I would have to say UO.
    UO has avery special place for me in every way , for 19 years i have played steadily or off and on , And have maxed nearly qutie a few crafts , And the best part of UO crafting and gathering , especially in the ealry years there was a real chance you died ... Try prospecting an ORe vein and hitting  a spawn of Copper ellys , you had better be prepared , Or Leather working , yes starts out simple enough with deer, cows etc, but then it scales up to Drakes wyverns and Dragons who will kill you as quilckly or quicker than you can kill them , Or raising the Poison skill , while poisoning blades on my way GM Poison i think i died at least a dozen times , Treasure Hunting also an incredble experience as well as fishing ... not to mention being on your toes for Reds and Thieves , was always a great time .. Gathering and Crafting in UO
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    I have yet to see an other MMO with such a player/profession interdependent crafting system like SWG's.  However, on top of that there was item decay which placed even more emphasis on crafters.  Not to mention I don't think I will ever see an other MMO where I will need (and want) to look and shop from a specific crafter due to his or her crafted gear quality being superior to someone else. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I would say SWG.  I actually got into Droid Engineer pretty heavily even though it sucked.  I am guessing that EVE's is even better but I never got into a guild or anything there.

I am a little surprised to see ESO there.  That is something I never tried while playing.  I might have to give that another shot.  UOs was okay but man man man man man man man man man man man was it tedious.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• PhaedruslivesPhaedruslives Member UncommonPosts: 122
    No EQ2? Casuals...
  • RenvenarRenvenar Member UncommonPosts: 11
    I do like the crafting in Path of Exile a lot, actually. No +10-ing a weapon and breaking it. Just RNG or grinding with the master-crafting - and it's just something new that most of the currency itself is used to craft something.
    By the way; Crafting in PoE means to have a base item (depending on the rarity you can only use certain currency/crafting items on it) and then change its values, mods, sockets and rarity with the currency items. Or even turn it into a whole new item - and even a unique - with some special orbs.

It's defenitely been very refreshing for me after playing various MMOs..
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    A Tale in the Desert.  Its crafting system likely has more to do than all of the other games on your list added together.

Why is Guild Wars 2 on that list, though?  Crafting there is purely of the "something stupid to grind levels in" that no one likes except for people who don't like crafting to begin with.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    edited November 2016
    Depends on how extreme you want your crafting to be. 

Vanguard for your more sandpark mmo. 

EQ2 rules  themepark crafting. 

Wurm Online rules ultimate crafting, nothing comes close for true sandbox crafting. 

I should give Age Of Wushu a shout as well. 

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Mabinogi. I would say Tale in the Desert, but it didn't really grow enough to continue development.
    Everything crafted in Mabinogi is used in some way at any stage in the game.

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file