Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 - How Players Have Enhanced Their Game Through Community Organised Events - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageGuild Wars 2 - How Players Have Enhanced Their Game Through Community Organised Events - MMORPG.com

Guild Wars 2 has often been praised for having one the most supportive and friendly communities of any in the MMO genre. Sometimes, like in a Foefire 490-10, with three AFK thieves and a chat log full of ‘Nerf ranger-report team’, you can start to wonder how, in all of Tyria, anyone could believe that...

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TanemundTanemund Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Wait, the players of a Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game got together and made something fun happen in a game without relying on the game mechanics to make the game fun? Wow, THAT'S never happened before! What a revolutionary idea!

Maybe it will catch on!

On the serious side, I find it interesting that things have gone so far in MMORPGs as to make this kind of thing so unusual as to be news worthy.

Many a small thing has been made large by the right kind of advertising.

• refo18refo18 Member UncommonPosts: 33
    This is awesome, and hopefully the Devs will acknowledge the effort put forth by the community and commend it (not reward, simply encourage it).

Take for example the fact they made "Dulfy" into an early fractals boss... she got nothing out of it personally, but such recognition encourages her to keep up the great service she provides players. (if you dont know dulfy, just check out her site: "dulfy.net" its amazing for guides for a few MMOs)

• xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878

Tanemund said:

Wait, the players of a Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game got together and made something fun happen in a game without relying on the game mechanics to make the game fun? Wow, THAT'S never happened before! What a revolutionary idea!

Maybe it will catch on!

On the serious side, I find it interesting that things have gone so far in MMORPGs as to make this kind of thing so unusual as to be news worthy.

Agreed. As a GW2 player, I kinda disappointed too with this article. Maybe you could pick one certain event and explore how that event unfolded.

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305
    LOL, sad, pretty soon we will have to code our own games as well. Gee thanks for the PR piece that tries to convince me its my job to create content for the developers. The correct angle on this trend is that players have resorted to creating their own events as the developers who get paid to do refuse to provide enough content.

Lets be honest I think they quoted something like 1000 hours are required for one legendary weapon in gw2; if it takes that much man power to make one weapon YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING WRONG.
  • Erinak1Erinak1 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    edited November 2016

Tanemund said:

Maybe it will catch on!

Agreed. As a GW2 player, I kinda disappointed too with this article. Maybe you could pick one certain event and explore how that event unfolded.

It does seem like they have some kind of article quota on certain games... every now and then the more popular games seem to get the most ridiculous articles. It is the same with eve, eve drama to non-eve players isn't nearly as exciting as eve players think it is (I assume it is an eve player that writes the article)
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Erinak1 said:

Tanemund said:

Maybe it will catch on!

It does seem like they have some kind of article quota on certain games... every now and then the more popular games seem to get the most ridiculous articles. It is the same with eve, eve drama to non-eve players isn't nearly as exciting as eve players think it is (I assume it is an eve player that writes the article)

We write what people read. When people stop reading GW2 pieces, we will stop writing them. Same reason we restarted the FFXIV column last week.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• TehhiTehhi Member UncommonPosts: 26
    I love community events in GW2, but I believe it is normal thing for any good MMORPG. If there are no events, then it's not an MMO (like in ESO, where big communities have nothing to do outside of dungeons and trials).
  • APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    Player organized events are what makes MMORPG's unique and stand out compared to other genre's of gaming. Like lotro for example and their music hosted events. GW2 has plenty of options for community events for those who seek it or wanna put it together.

However I also completely understand the argument of; rather then having the players organize and make up an event, the devs should just add a supported option; like the ability to que for real GvG. It usually all comes back to the dev's ever shifting priorities. Should they continue on the course of supporting their preexisting game types? Or should they add in a new game type they must try to support as well?

I think, once a dev has a solid grasp on which direction they wanna take their game in and also have a solid base for each of their preexisting game types, they should venture forth into new territory to keep their game or universe relevant. But in the mean time, community events that are fun will always be welcome.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I have np with what authors write if for the right reasons,example the author is writing what HE/SHE is passionate about and not something he/she was TOLD to write.Unless of course if doing some biography and even in those cases the author puts in their own ideas and ways of communicating the topic.
    As to the premise of the article,i think anything community related is usually pretty good however pvp is usually the worst idea any mmorpg could do because pvp incites anger.
    Seldom do i see a team full of losers that came away happy,usually 50% are happy and the other 50% losers are unhappy,i prefer content and ideas where everyone can be happy.

None the less it is nice to read something about community for once.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• suckm3suckm3 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    edited November 2016
    Never played any GW before, today I've downloaded F2P version and that feeling about enjoying a game is back, if it;s hold for another 4-6 days, gonna buy that expansion for sure. Within it, I've tried almost every game single/multi/mmo etc, but mostly ended at dota2 which came boring too, after 250hours spend there in 2 last weeks. Black Desert is utter trash compared to GW2. And imho WoW had just copy/pasted these Artifact weapons which GW2 had has since release.

Way too boring after 20hours I've spend there.
    Post edited by suckm3 on

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”? -Albert Einstein 

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    If GW2 had ever been about PvE community, I would still be there. Playing alongside others was not the same as playing with them though...
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    Actually that wasn't my experience when most of the chunks there called people filthy casuals and worse. The few guilds I could find with friendly people wanted 100 percent participation in everything and they also wanted you to be permade.

I'd have to say that the best mmo community to date is in LOTRO or on any of the Roleplaying servers of World of Warcraft.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    There are so many guilds in GW2, one can find a guild to fit every niche you want. There are RP guilds, etc. Just look around.

GW1 community was great, GW2 is not as good but still they get it together and do things - PvP, WvW and PvE.

• EquinoxMGEquinoxMG Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Ah, if only ArenaNet tried to encourage these types of things more...speaking to GvG. Important GvGs long ago would garner views of 1k, or 2k, and competed with sPvP at the time for which got more views even while GvG was a niche community and ArenaNet was frantic to advertise their official competitive mode to the entire game's community. It was actually really impressive that the following for GvGs and the livelihood of active participation spawned entirely on its own. Unfortunately, that got nipped in the bud early on when ArenaNet took a stance to ignore community outcry and push their own development plans for WvW forward and GvG has never returned to its former popularity.
    It's nice to hear that EU still has a decent scene, and not at all surprising, but I've heard the opposite story for NA. Dark times...
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    "because these Anet -guys are unable to make fun events and the community forced itself to do what they paid for."
    edited November 2016

EquinoxMG said:

Ah, if only ArenaNet tried to encourage these types of things more...speaking to GvG. Important GvGs long ago would garner views of 1k, or 2k, and competed with sPvP at the time for which got more views even while GvG was a niche community and ArenaNet was frantic to advertise their official competitive mode to the entire game's community. It was actually really impressive that the following for GvGs and the livelihood of active participation spawned entirely on its own. Unfortunately, that got nipped in the bud early on when ArenaNet took a stance to ignore community outcry and push their own development plans for WvW forward and GvG has never returned to its former popularity.

It's nice to hear that EU still has a decent scene, and not at all surprising, but I've heard the opposite story for NA. Dark times...

Well, GvG was NOT what Guild Wars was named for. It was named for the guild vs Guild in lore that almost destroyed Tyria.

GvG was not hard to implement in an instanced game like GW1. It is much harder to do it in a game like GW2 which is more open world. You really don't know what you at talking about - A.Net said that GvG was too hard with the way they have the game developed. They did put in Arenas in the GH, so you can set up your own GvG or go to Obsidian Sanctum and rumble in the arena there.

NA is fine - there are the game crappers, etc. in every game. They just seem to play in NA. NA is fine otherwise.

About ignoring the community, A.Net is not. They have had polls, beta trials of new ideas, etc. So they are NOT ignoring the player base. You can't please everyone and when you try you end up like Rift, being just a crap game.

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405

mmrv said:

LOL, sad, pretty soon we will have to code our own games as well. Gee thanks for the PR piece that tries to convince me its my job to create content for the developers. The correct angle on this trend is that players have resorted to creating their own events as the developers who get paid to do refuse to provide enough content.

Lets be honest I think they quoted something like 1000 hours are required for one legendary weapon in gw2; if it takes that much man power to make one weapon YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING WRONG.

Is that true? That's terrible. They should just devote their time to creating Skynet so it can make games. 1000 hours for that one object, terrible.
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
    edited November 2016
    Well, crafting Legendary Weapons are a multistep process and they have to fit the crafting into the current game story. They are meant to be for the player who spends the time on it, not because a player just wants it. That is why it takes so long, that and all the testing, etc. People just think they draw it and it gets put into the game - done. Nothing can be further from the truth. People really need to understand how long game design is, also A.Net's game is built on their own tools not ones they bought from another company.

edited November 2016
    You can get together and have "make fun" in any game. In some games it means that the devs failed to have enough to do, in others it means that the players love the game so much they want to expand its use.

Not sure why GW2 was the focus of this, especially considering the game begs you to not try and inhabit it.

botrytis said:

Well, crafting Legendary Weapons are a multistep process and they have to fit the crafting into the current game story. They are meant to be for the player who spends the time on it, not because a player just wants it. That is why it takes so long, that and all the testing, etc. People just think they draw it and it gets put into the game - done. Nothing can be further from the truth.

People really need to understand how long game design is, also A.Net's game is built on their own tools not ones they bought from another company.

While I appreciate the real engineering viewpoint, I also think that cybernetically there s a big divide between what the mind wants as a varied experience and what can be done at the pace of a flower opening in real design.

Archlyte said:

botrytis said:

Well, crafting Legendary Weapons are a multistep process and they have to fit the crafting into the current game story. They are meant to be for the player who spends the time on it, not because a player just wants it. That is why it takes so long, that and all the testing, etc. People just think they draw it and it gets put into the game - done. Nothing can be further from the truth.

People really need to understand how long game design is, also A.Net's game is built on their own tools not ones they bought from another company.

While I appreciate the real engineering viewpoint, I also think that cybernetically there s a big divide between what the mind wants as a varied experience and what can be done at the pace of a flower opening in real design.

If you have no experience in software development, then you really don't know, do you? People complain when things aren't tested and crash too much (like the latest NVidia drivers as an example) and on the other hand, if things don't come out fast enough, people complain also. This is a 'Damned if you do, Damned if you don't' type of situation.

That said, with next week, installment 3 of the LS 3 coming out and more than likely more balance issues, etc. Putting in new Legendaries, etc. is back seat currently.

• ArleeArlee Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Just to clarify ArenaNet did post awhile ago and said the main thing which had been slowing the implementation of Legendaries down wasn't designing them or implementing them, it was designing the journey part that took the majority of time for a variety of reasons and is why they scrapped that part of it.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/legendary-weapons/
  • ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825
    I wonder what is special about this? (Not to be the rude one, but the critical one here)...

One of the most amazing things to Guild Wars 2's WvW is that if you are in a Tier 1 server, the servers usually end up sticking together (the three of them usually fight for many weeks) and back in around 2013 - 2014, there was a subculture in the server I was in to speak with the commanders and players in other servers and organize events all of the time.

There were times I would invite the other two commanders on Eternal Battlegrounds to my Party to have all three commanders of the map together and we would arrange it so before WvW tournaments are complete that we could focus on getting as many of the achievements in Eternal Battlegrounds for as many people in the server as possible during the last week or so to make sure that we all had them.

We also always had an Arranged Dueling Spot for individual players who wished to get better (South of South Camp, behind the windmill or so), with the rules that when one adds you to the party, we would agree on 1v1s and then we would fight. There were VERY specific rules covering rules of engagement and withdrawal that were good and agreed upon.

We also had an Alliance Rule to combine against groups that try to sneak in and try to kill us. For example, we would add players from the other servers to our parties, and we would type a 0 if people in our server failed to listen to reason when trying to ambush players in that spot, and we would coordinate to drive them out, but most people knew what the rules were.

There was also a genuine care for the quality of the gameplay. Even if it was a zerg-fest, we would get worried when one of the servers would lose players or get overstacked. One thing I noticed about playing in Tier 1 WvW is that players really wanted a challenge and they wanted to have three servers that were even with one another. It was always boring when one server had no players and two servers just pound on each other.

Credit goes to where its due...
    The Europeans came up with something amazing and GW2 should have had Guild vs Guild from the very beginning, but it didn't. It had player-ran GvG since the beginning...

Anyone who plays WvW knows that there is a subculture in Open World PvP. Things like Dry, Brutally Honest, Morbid, Sarcastic humor floods the maps done right and there are things servers love to do to Kick off Reset Night...

...and there are servers like the one I am (Tarnished Coast) that does the Dolyak Parade. :)