Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Darkening of Tristram - Fresh Meat! (Just Gameplay) - Diablo 3 Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2016 in Videos Discussion

imageThe Darkening of Tristram - Fresh Meat! (Just Gameplay) - Diablo 3 Videos - MMORPG.com

The Darkening of Tristram event for Diablo 3 is on the PTR for Blizzard's ARPG. We dove in head first to play the first few levels of the re-imagined Diablo 1 - and ran smack dab into the butcher. Watch the first 15 or so minutes of Diablo 1 in D3, and let us know what you think!

Read the full story here

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Cut to about 15 minutes for the Butcher fight. :D

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    Disappointing.

They slapped a graphic filter , added 4 monsters - thats basically it

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited November 2016
    Absolutely shameful way of trying to reuse assets and trick players into thinking they are getting something new. Yeah, it's free.. but I'd rather they made something decent we had to pay for.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited November 2016
    With steady updates and yearly expansions D3 could have been an entire universe. Just look at how much one expansion improved and added to the base game.

There could have been more classes, weapon specific skills, skill drops, skill trees, inifinite dungeons, dailies, world quests, item upgrading through various paths and so on and so forth.

But we got this, poor doesn't even begin to describe how disappointing this is. And no, I don't want a D2 remaster, I want them to expand this universe in both width and depth or give me a proper Diablo MMOARPG.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited November 2016
     Cant wait ... Should be a great romp thru D1
  • HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    would rather they made D1 with D3 graphics than this, where they ve just made D3 look abit elder. There is a better chance Id spend time try to find D1 out there on the net, if I should be too bored :P

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    With WoW still being their baby (obviously, and it's understandable why), and them putting the rest of their eggs in the competitive/esports basket, it's very clear D3 has taken a back seat (more like stuffed in the trunk).

They've added a one month long "event" (a pretty lame Rift that adds a D1 'filter' over the game and not much else) that only comes once a year, and the Necromancer, which isn't even coming until the second half of 2017. If I recall correctly, it was said that they have been working on this for a while now, which honestly, is just sad.

Ah well, back to Grim Dawn I suppose.
  • liffiliffi Member UncommonPosts: 10
    I know this is a nostalgia trip thing and that is why they made it, but I myself don't care that much of it. Yes it is "fun" to play this but I can get old diablo 1 if I want to play it. I do understand that it would take time to make it same graphic than the rest of the d3 game but I think that should be in the game. A toggle or something.

People will play it once of a while then they will see that it is not fun at all. It may feel cool and such but it will last a short time and after that no one will go back to it... I think they could have done something fun and new and made it their own. Now it feels somewhat lazy and half done project just for lols. Shame.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    sigh ....i was expecting way more ....thats not the blizzard i knew , copy paste all they way to the bank while laughing
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    Map is slightly different but art and animations are as outdated as D1 (that is why I didn't buy D3 heh).

Thank you for your time!

• mithossmithoss Member UncommonPosts: 225
    i wonder how diablo became the unwanted stepchild of blizz. every other project gets so much dedication and good old diablo has like 5 part-timers working on it. This "celebration" is a joke. Everybody will play it once, chuckle and thats it. Meanwhile they need 7 months for 1 new class, which means the team is REALLY small. If WoW, Hots and Overwatch werent so good i would've been pissed about buying a virtual ticket.
  • GreatswordGreatsword Member RarePosts: 353
    I wanted Diablo 1 with the Diablo 3 engine.

Not Diablo 3 with the Diablo 1 engine.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Looks great. Some people will never be happy with anything Blizz does.
  • SpellshaperSpellshaper Member UncommonPosts: 419
    I was really looking forward to this, but this is not D1. If it wasnt in the title, I wouldnt recognize it at all :(

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Anyone noticed how heavily censored his Fresh Meat supplies are?
    Harbinger of Fools
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited November 2016
    I have to admit that I was very disappointed by this. Diablo 1 was my "gateway" into gaming back in the day. But in the end, playing  the anniversary event was like playing Diablo 3 with crappy graphics and movement. The nostalgic feel of the music, the sounds and the items lost their appeal within a few minutes. Only those who are achievement completionists will play this more than once. Not me though.

It's a shame. Remaking D1, or at least the first Act, in the D3 engine -- a TRUE remake -- would have been cool. Too bad.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• AreWeLiveAreWeLive Member UncommonPosts: 201
    edited November 2016
    This is what Blizzard gave us instead of Vanilla WoW for nostalgia lol

BTW, I do not remember having a minon, being that shinny at the begginning (legit..you must be duping =P) or the Templar class being in Diablo at that stage of the game
    . And how are you lvl 67 at the beginning of this game
  • FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    What the hell is this trash? No pun intended.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    And I was starting to think as someone who never played the original Diablo 1 this might be a good way of getting in to it. 
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Yea, I think they really should have gone with just having the D3 engine with Diablo 1 themed dungeons instead of neutering the movement and everything so it'll play kinda like Diablo 1 played.

Because really, Diablo 2 didn't emulate Diablo 1's stiff movement gameplay for a VERY good reason.  I remember years ago when I went back to playing Diablo 1 after playing Diablo 2 and was all "This gameplay SUCKS! I feel like I'm navigating a tetris block!" and I don't see why most people would want to go back to that for Diablo 3.

Anyone who DOES want to go back to that can just, you know, load up Diablo 1.
    DMKano said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    Yea, I think they really should have gone with just having the D3 engine with Diablo 1 themed dungeons instead of neutering the movement and everything so it'll play kinda like Diablo 1 played.

Because really, Diablo 2 didn't emulate Diablo 1's stiff movement gameplay for a VERY good reason.  I remember years ago when I went back to playing Diablo 1 after playing Diablo 2 and was all "This gameplay SUCKS! I feel like I'm navigating a tetris block!" and I don't see why most people would want to go back to that for Diablo 3.

Anyone who DOES want to go back to that can just, you know, load up Diablo 1.

the 8 positional movement does feel very archaic nowdays, but backnin D1 days it was revolutionary.
    Yep. No disagreement here with that.  I used to love Diablo 1.  I just couldn't stand it later on after playing Diablo 2.

But like I said, anyone who wishes to go backwards to those days can just... load up Diablo 1.  There really was no need to try to emulate it for Diablo 3, I think.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    I tried it, and hate it, I am sure I will do it once it launches for real, but the horrible movements, and terrible graphics were just too much.  I don't want to play a game from 1996, I want to play a game from 2016
  • jelliuzjelliuz Member UncommonPosts: 97
    edited November 2016

Scorchien said:

Cant wait ... Should be a great romp thru D1

but it isn't D1...
    This is a shameful display, it truly is. Fuck my life, how they are destroying this brilliant franchise breaks my heart. Absolutely lazy, they pumped a ton of time into this and for what ? it is Diablo 3 greater rift with a graphic filter on top of it and you'll only be able to play it in January. They should quit the whole D3 project already and focus their efforts on something new, this is too ridiculous too keep alive.
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    Very sad.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
    edited November 2016
    jelliuz said:
     it is Diablo 3 greater rift with a graphic filter on top of it and you'll only be able to play it in January. 
    Yea, I honestly think Developers really need to think more on these things.  Same case with GW2's living story's first couple of seasons before they realized that spending so much time and development on something that people could only play for a couple weeks before it goes away was a stupid idea.

In this case, the Diablo 3 developers are spending a lot of time and resources developing something that's only going to be available for one out of twelve months (school non-holiday months, at that).  It's such a horrendous waste of resources on paper that I'm amazed none of the suits in the company looked at it and said "What the hell?"

(this on top of spending development resources on regressing the game backwards just to get that Diablo 1 feeling)