Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's your favorite MMO role?

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Solo Healer.  Then support, dps, and tank lastly.  If the content is great I'll play through it with every class.  Plus in games that rotate nerfs and buffs, I can easily switch up.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    Tank!  I like if I can use some CC or other means of helping control the battlefield as a whole as well.  Also like evasion or light armored tanks though I don't think they should ever be as tough as heavy armor wearing tanks.

Perfect classes to me are when I can protect, assist and make the dps think they did everything even though they'd be run over without me. :P

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Depends on the game and the classes, but I definitely gravitate towards DPS. I do like going heals in ESO, though. 
    Being a healer in ESO 4-man normal difficulty instances is relatively easy to do for most magicka DPS types. In fact all of my magicka DPS characters have the healing staff trained whether they use it or not outside of dungeons.

I've been in more PUGs that I can count when it became obvious relatively quickly that the healer was struggling. No problem, I just equip my resto staff on my back bar, add 2 or 3 skills, change the Ultimate to something defensive and away we go. It's one of the great things about the game: the ability to adjust the build mid-dungeon.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Games that force players into, you must pick exactly one of these clearly defined roles tend to have terrible combat, so I'd rather look elsewhere.
  • ShaddyDaddyShaddyDaddy Member UncommonPosts: 192
    I've always went DPS. I love it. Dealing out the damage while staying out of the shit that comes out of a boss is a rush. 
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Heal/support for me! 

Example: Astrologian (ffxiv) heal/shields with good card buffs!

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Lol, I only noticed "all the above" after I saw the results... Not that I'd change, my main is always healer, so that was the clear choice. But as Iselin above, I'm an altoholic too, and love to play all the roles / play styles.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I like DPS and usually have a DPS alt.  But my mains are almost always exclusively tanks.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    My main is always a healer and I usually don't bother about alts.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    DPS, purely because it removes all the drama from modern MMO's and the inevitable "noob" comments directed towards tanks and healers when anything goes wrong.

I always used to tank in MMO's, or I'd play a monk if the class was available. Since WoW though, I can't be arsed with the incessant whining of the idiots that inhabit today's MMO's, so I just play DPS now.
  • MotemMotem Member UncommonPosts: 2
    It's fun to see the mobs health dropping, but it's more satisfying seeing your allies green healthbar comming back to full.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited November 2016
    If you really want to bring it to basics then all roles are support.  At least they are supposed to support each other.  Whether the players approach it like that is another thing.  The idea is supposed to be to bring the team home in one piece.  Not whether someone was FIRST! is some statistics important to an individual player.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • AeroangelAeroangel Member UncommonPosts: 498
    I voted for tank because overall in almost any game I will have some fun in that role. I enjoy leading the way, feeling like I am protecting the group, and the awareness it takes in order to tank. That being said the most fun I've had in some games has instead been as a healer or in a support role. It all comes down to class design, and at the end of the day most MMO's have a decent setup for their tank class, and unfortunately many have terrible healer or support class designs. 

--------------------------
    Playing:
    FFXIV, TERA, LoL, and HoTS
    My Rig:
    GPU: GeForce GTX 770, CPU: i7-4790K, Memory: 16 GB RAM

• trdsftrdsf Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Can't really answer that, it depends on the game and my mood, so All Of The Above.
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    While others fight mobs, healers fight death itself :-)

No time for these no-healer "action" games that try to pass themselves off as mmo's. The only result is a dumbed down everyone pew-pew while frantically jumping round.
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    DPS because I'm lazy and I don't like to take responsiblity.
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    JudgeUK said:
    While others fight mobs, healers fight death itself :-)

No time for these no-healer "action" games that try to pass themselves off as mmo's. The only result is a dumbed down everyone pew-pew while frantically jumping round.
    Very well put, fighting death itself.

Bravo on your understanding of the repeated failures of trinity defying innovations.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    DPS, because I like playing solo.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    I do all, because I'm awesome.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Prefer Healer types, in FFXIV:ARR - Scholar, rather than White Mage, but generally speaking, for me, healing is more fun, and often challenging when trying to keep alive the seemingly suicidal dps types :p

ps, dps people, hit what the tank is hitting, you live longer and i don't have to engage in keyboard ju jitsu trying to cast heals on everyone. O.o
  • BarbieBoyBarbieBoy Member UncommonPosts: 85
    I like playing the role of support and or healer. Because they are the ones who are needed in dungeon raids so, finding a party is easy for me. Also support have a high survival rate in most of the games that I played. However, in MU Origin the description of the elf is someone who support and heal her allies but in reality she doesn't have a healing spell. The devs must be nuts in putting that kind of character description. So I have no choice but to play the role of DPS. 
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    My first level cap in almost every game I play is inevitably a tank.  I usually try ranged DPS first, but I almost always level cap a tank first.  The rare game where this is not true I level cap a healer first.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    I'm quite surprised to see so many fellow healers here

/thumbsup

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    DMKano said:
    Ganker

@DMKano ; I knew it!
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    If the game supports it, I prefer support. However, not many games I've played had dedicated support roles, so I switch between tank and dps. 

I can pretty much get on with any role though. I tend to gravitate towards a combination of visuals and most useful in a group, rather than specific roles. 

So, SWG I went pikeman because I wanted to look like Darth Maul. I ended up building a very tanky build as that proved best for soloing. 
    In LotRO, I went Captain (support), partly because captains used halberds and partly because it was a support role and I'd never played support before (in single player rpgs, I was almost always melee dps). I did eventually cap and raid with guardian (tank), loremaster (support), burglar (support) and champion (dps), but captain remained my fav. 
    In WAR, I went Black Orc (tank). Admittedly, this was 100% because it was an orc, I didn't care about the class I just wanted to be big and green!
    In SW:TOR, I went Shadow (tank/dps). Again, primary reason was the weapon - I really wanted double-bladed lightsaber!

Captain remains my favourite class of all time though. What I liked best was the impact I could have on the outcome of a fight. I found that whenever I played one of the trinity roles, I was relatively powerless to affect the outcome of the fight. No matter how good I was at tanking, dpsing or healing, I had to trust in other people to be as good as me. So many times, other people would let me down and we'd wipe. I never understood it as I've found MMOs to be quite easy, yet some people always struggled with group combat. 

The captain was different. It was a jack-of-all-trades class. Buffing was it's unique role, but it only had 5 or 6 buff skills. It could also off-tank (heavy armour + 2 taunts), dps (6 or 7 dps skills + dps buff) and off-heal (1 direct heal, 1 group heal, 1 self heal, 1 heal-over-time). It meant that every single fight I could pick up the slack and help us win. I felt in control and I felt powerful, even though my skills actually weren't that powerful. It helped that I was usually group/raid leader, so I had a great perspective of what everyone else was doing and so knew exactly the best way to support my group. 

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file