Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is Why We Play MMOs and RPGs - General Columns

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageThis is Why We Play MMOs and RPGs - General Columns

Why do we play MMOs and RPGs? The answer is no clearer in the United States than this week following a bitterly fought presidential election. This week Chris ponders that question and what games mean to us in the heat of the moment.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Some things you do to escape other things... some things you do because you have a passion for them.

I'd i say play games because i have a passion for them.
    And if i want to escape from anything, it's not so much the world but rather myself.

That was deep i guess. Or maybe not.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Unfortunately you can't turn off chat in most mmo's. The ingame fighting over the election in chat is really a let down too. Thank god in swtor you can minimize it because it was really out of control.
  • starstorm777starstorm777 Member UncommonPosts: 114
    I couldn't agree more...my boyfriend wonders why I play MMOs so much and RPGs, what do you get out of it if you aren't winning and there's no END ...(to MMOs) he asks, WHY? To make my character prettier, stronger, in some games, craft, housing, decorate, kill bosses and feel that sense of accomplishment (or relieve stress the day has caused..take it out on the mobs)....leveling systems are awesome and new gear is a fun achievement.... it's like xmas with every loot drop, sometimes I don't even quest because it's more like a treasure hunt to me, that's why in most games I use the game character name of Treasure....she is a Treasure Hunter...and since my life is bland, boring and uninteresting....and not that many sparkles in it, these games give me those sparkles, the fantasy, the glam, the recognition I don't get in real life....I am pretty in these games, I am worth something in these games, I make friends in these games, I feel like I have MEANING in these games, some times people like me with bi-polar and depression NEED games like this...it's like therapy for us....without them ...we would go crazy...some psychologists would like to say these games make us crazy, more the opposite, these games keep me sane....thank you RPGs and MMORPGs for existing and making my life more sparkly, full of life, new worlds, a reason to get up every day...even though to others it may not seem like much....I am a true gamer and always will be, it's a part of who I am, and whoever tries taking this away, then that is the day I become insane EVEN more than I already am..... I might have said too much or not enough.... I may get hate or likes, I don't care....but this article made me SMILE from ear to ear and nod....and say THIS IS ME TOO!!! THANK YOU FOR ACKNOWLEDGING ME!!!!! :) HAPPY DAY TO ALL!

Raptr Gamercard
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    edited November 2016
    I think all these people talking about politics should STFU and go to Reddit. Anyway, as far as the article, I totally agree. There is nothing like an RPG or MMORPG and except for what I play with my Oculus Rift in Virtual Reality where there are no RPGs, RPGS and MMOPRGs are the ONLY games I play. The only problem is that RPGs have taken my attention away from MMORPGs. I was on a streak of only playing MMORPGs since 2004 until Skyrim came around and I played 50% that and 50% MMOs. Ever since starting the Witcher 3 several months ago and putting in already over 410 hours (currently on 1st expansion), I'm no longer playing MMOs. I miss the social aspect, but MMOs and the Guilds just don't feel as social as they used to be (maybe I'm finding the wrong guilds) and the world itself just isn't as alive and random as a masterpiece like the Witcher 3. The current MMOs feel too artificial with everything just being a step down in every way from the Witcher 3 (world, graphics, choices, monster AI, etc.). The Witcher 3 ruined my enjoyment of MMORPGs...so until an MMORPG comes out with a more 'alive' world that isn't boring in my eyes, I just can't play them anymore. I try, but always go back to the Witcher 3.

There Is Always Hope!

• Zarkin86Zarkin86 Member UncommonPosts: 122
    i really wish you would write on this site the name of the games under the screen. the spaceship and suit guy pic, which game is it from??
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    I cant afford to travel and playing a MMORPG has allowed me to talk to others from all around the world, which has given me insight into the bias I see in western media.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I enjoy a challenge,be it everywhere in life,sports,job,gaming it doesn't matter,i just love to be challenged.

Yes i still like to keep it fun but sort of serious as well,you have to be a tad serious to take on challenges.
    I would say it is NEVER about life or making life more bearable or feeling better,i have tons of stuff i could be doing if there was no gaming and still come away satisfied and having fun.

There really is a high number of people that might look at gaming as an escape,geesh i know a LOT of people who think of nothing but going home and drinking beer,they literally have nothing in life except to drink that beer.

I also don't need to travel to talk to foreigners,i grew up with a huge multicultural base of friends,from Greeks,to Ethiopians to Americans to Africans to Laos,to Chinese to Polish to Russian to German,etc etc.Having said that i have spent time in many different countries,not for long but still enough to see the different cultures.
    After all these years,i see no reason anymore for the need to travel or the NEED for anything for that matter,all one needs  is to be happy and hopefully we all have more than just gaming to bring us happiness.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I've always gravitated toward RPGs, MMO's and RTS because they typically offer more bang for your buck (replay value) than other genres. They also cover themes I'm typically more interested in. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• VarossVaross Moderator UncommonPosts: 11,414
    Please stick to the topic of the article (Why we play MMO's and RPG's) and avoid getting sidetracked into political tangents.

Thank you.
    To give feedback on moderation, please contact [email protected]
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I play to enjoy the world and the adventure.  The matrix is a fun place to visit.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793
    Hey everyone,

If we could avoid using this article as a reason to get into political debates, that would be great. I was careful to stay middle of the road and not name check either side to avoid partisanship. RE the no politics rule: This post is about why we play and uses the election as a launching point, not a central theme of discussion. Thanks crew.
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793
    To those of you claiming that there is a political slant here are using it to fuel your own indignation. Literally, all it says is that this was a bitter election that was tiring for us all. If you read sadness about the result or some political agenda into the two short paragraphs, you're inserting it yourself.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    edited November 2016
    Why i play MMOs and RPGs ? because MMO+RPG is most realistic type of RPGames .

We have good guy who guide other and bad guy who go ks , backstab , steal things .
    We have corrupt politicians aka GMs and goddammit gods (developers) who ruin the game for they own greed .
    We have some teenage girl run around and some old men in dress too , and some idiot who like to have cyber girlfriend .

Things are so good until some ******** **** removed the first M .

This discussion has been closed.