Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's your favorite MMO role?

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
edited November 2016 in Polls
So, what's your favorite role to play in an MMO? Tank? Healer? DPS? Support? Cast your vote and tell us why!

Comments

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    I voted all of the above. When I first started out playing MMOs I was definitely a DPS only player, but as I got older I started to explore the other roles a lot more. I can have fun playing anything really these days. I love stab stabbing things with a rogue type class, but I also like supporting my allies with clutch heals and the like. I find tanking more fun in PvP for games that support it (such as Warhammer Online), especially as a disruption tank where I can get in there and knock people away from our backline.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    i voted dps , but i love support (if isnt passive like auras or spamming skills tha does nothing but buff for 10s , 5s CD ugh....) , and have tanked and healed tons , tanking in some games is way more fun than dps , but in others meh ....healing has a major issue and probably always will , having to stare at hp bars (aka playing the UI game ) and not enjoying the world or cant even remember how the boss looks :(

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Hi. My name is Iselin and I'm an altoholic.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Iselin said:

Hi Iselin.  I too am an altoholic.   And I am not trying to quit!
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    edited November 2016
    Tank all the way everyday. Stand behind me...I got this.
    I don't know if you ever played Warhammer Online, but I literally had a moment like this on the Nordenwatch scenario where I lead my team across the bridge to the center (Fort) point using Hold the Line! on my Knight of the Blazing Sun. Basically, it buffed the defenses of everyone behind my shield as we inched up towards the point. It was a pretty awesome moment only that game was ever able to deliver for me. Being useful as a tank in PvP is something more MMOs should have aspired to.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    waynejr2 said:
    Iselin said:

Hi Iselin.  I too am an altoholic.   And I am not trying to quit!
    Neither am I... harm reduction is the true way.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I always loved playing a support role as I feel they are the unrecognized hero in many cases. Helping great players be greater is a cool feeling.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Tank not even a question. Funny when DPS throw their counters up for us to see.. im like.. yea I wonder how much DPS you would do if I didn't stand here getting punched in the Shield?
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    I'm split between Healer and Support. They're both roles that I absolutely love to play as. It can be in MMOs just like it can be in MOBAs too, it's always fun.
  • GrendGrend Member UncommonPosts: 63
    I play everything but I always fall back to being a tank. Only reason, I don't like to run away.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    DPS , in particular Ranged DPS , i have managed to max lvl endgame a Ranged DPS in nearly every MMO in the known universe....

After that i usually have an alt Healer
  • epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394
    Bard/Enchanter for life.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    MikeB said:
    Tank all the way everyday. Stand behind me...I got this.
    I don't know if you ever played Warhammer Online, but I literally had a moment like this on the Nordenwatch scenario where I lead my team across the bridge to the center (Fort) point using Hold the Line! on my Knight of the Blazing Sun. Basically, it buffed the defenses of everyone behind my shield as we inched up towards the point. It was a pretty awesome moment only that game was ever able to deliver for me. Being useful as a tank in PvP is something more MMOs should have aspired to.
    MAny awesome moments in War and why im still playing it , Any class well played can truly be inspiring in War ... WAAaaaaaAAgaggGGgHhh!!!!
  • Pans_FolleyPans_Folley Member UncommonPosts: 76
    I voted DPS. I would also consider Support. I enjoy the ability to take out groups of mobs with various powers and skills. If support or a hybrid is available, I enjoy that as well. I'm not one to take on the responsibility of keeping other players safe or healthy. I do that in real life and like to walk away from it in my games.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    edited November 2016
    Yea I play a lot of alts myself.  Favorite classes are tanky/dps.  Melee
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    edited November 2016
    Like most of us i also started as DPS, but eventually got tired of dealing with high queue times to deal with scripted NPCs after.
    That's when i discovered the exciting world of healers for me...instead of fighting through the same scripted NPC events over and over, i now dealt with real people. Everything could happen any second, no dungeon run or raid was ever the same!

But part of that switch also was that i changed as a person as i grew older. From a ganking rogue who had fun ruining the game for others, i found out that helping others, healing lowbies, bad tanks and green geared folks through a tough dungeon was even more rewarding and a different kind of challege. Plus, as a healer i was much closer to making the difference between success and fail for the whole group than i was as a DD. That was but back in the days when also inexperienced people at least tried to contribute and read the chat when somebody explained an encounter.

Healing took a huge backlash for me when all my friends quit playing and i had to deal with pugs that now didn't care if they stand in the fire, didn't talk at all, kickvote, "GOGOGO" and all that bs attitude that came with the later generations of mmorpg'ers.
    But even nowadays when i join a new game, i start with a DD only to take a look around and get an idea to prepare myself for a healing role later on. With most games in recent years, it never actually came to that as i quit before comitting myself to it.
    But healing is still the first thing on my mind when i develop an interest in a game.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited November 2016
    I like a DPS role that has enough toughness to endure a bit of a beating , and enough cc to create an opening for an emergency self heal.

Where do i fit in?

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Tank class. I cannot stand running behind other tanks watching them flail around clueless.

LPT for all you DPS out there, if you pick up aggro from an add stop running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. Bring it to the tank. I will not chase you to pull it off, but I will watch you die and have many lols about it.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Depends on the game and the classes, but I definitely gravitate towards DPS. I do like going heals in ESO, though. 

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• WoeToTheVanquishedWoeToTheVanquished Member UncommonPosts: 276
    whatever role allows me to make plays.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited November 2016
    Very much into the support/CC role. fencer in SWG was great for that. Spreading dots, dizziness, posture changes and blind states was great fun. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    If I am playing DPS then the game is doing something WRONG.

I tend to like hybrid healer/support (like the shaman from EQ1) and tanks(when they don't do 0 damage for their tankiness)
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    I am legitimately surprised to see support winning out over DPS (or any of the main trinity roles for that matter). 

But that's where I stand. Buffs and debuffs are what I'm about. Make Bards great again. 
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Favorite is a toss-up between Tank & Support... however, I do like to just mindless DPS every now and then too. Pew pew!

So... all of the above. Also... consider me one of the altoholics too! xD

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file