Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The rise and fall of MMORPG.com

Comments

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    filmoret said:
    If Bill updated his profile pic with pink hair and the ultra flat top.  That would draw some more people.
    /agreed

He is pretty hot, I give him a 8.7 but pink hair would put him at a solid 10!

;)
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    LynxJSA said:
    From 2003-2016 I've been part of this site and I've seen where it used to be and where it is now. There was a time when there was thousand+ of concurrent, active community on these forums and now there is barely a hundred. As a MMORPG fan I am disappointed when any community/site is going downhill but usually these things are caused by bad decisions within those in charge of either their games or in this case their site/forums.
    Yes, back when MMO forums were the main 3rd party community and MMO sites like this were the main 3rd party news source for MMOs, it was bigger.

I'm sure Facebook, YouTube, Twitch, TeamSpeak, Ventrillo, Mumble, RaidCall, GuildPortal, GuildLaunch, Wordpress, Twitter, Reddit, and the 3-5" screens of mobile devices have absolutely nothing to do with diminishing forum communities. 
    I must be too old to understand how any of those would be an equivalent substitute for a forum.  Maybe Reddit, but I don't understand the appeal of Reddit either.
  • 0theri0n0theri0n Member UncommonPosts: 114
    edited November 2016
    I have been coming to this site since 2004 and i always went straight to the game list. I would go down the list and try out various games based on reviews, ratings, and screen shots. But now, since there isn't any new MMO out that interests me, that part of the site doesn't do much for me anymore. I mostly just check the site for news articles and i like to see what people are talking about on the forums. The sponsored pages and ads do agitate me quite a bit but i understand that the people running this site have to make money in order to continue to put at least a little quality effort into it. Much like how i dislike F2P games with cash shops, people have to make money for their effort somehow, right?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    DMKano said:
    Forgrimm said:
    Grunty said:
    I see the Kopogero fan club has increased it's membership to three. Or is it still just one?
    The OP is Kopogero on an alt account. The other day he posted his "haven't bought a new game in 5 years" nonsense and the thread was shut down in minutes. 

Bingo - glad I am not the only one who noticed this.
    Yer, of course you did...

Why am i not surprised?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited November 2016
    Lets be honest here, back in the day the greater majority of activity was nothing but petty bickering that went on for hours. While that element still exists, (Star Citizen anyone?) Today it's a lot easier to wade through the trash and find sensible discussion.  IF that's a result of diminished activity.. It's not without a silver lining...

Edit to add.. No matter what, this site is run by people who care about it, that's enough to keep me around. It's nice to be able to know humans are guiding the experience and they're obviously deeply involved with their own community, if you need to speak to one of them directly. you can...

There aren't many sites with this level of success you can say that about, the writers don't behave as though they need a go between standing between them and their audience, that's rare. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    edited November 2016
    @BillMurphy there is not just one problem as you put it to blame it on and that is one reason why evolution does not happen with the pace it should to keep up with changing times. This reminds me how many blamed World of Warcraft for the downfall of their MMORPG's, but reality is that a great product can thrive on its own and grow through time, attracting new as well as capturing other markets.

Today there are more news happening than ever on upcoming, newly released or many dating decade+ ago MMO's. In fact EVE recently announced it's going F2P which is huge news (not that I care) but just one example.

This site was one of the best to keep up on all on what's happening MMO related, not so much because of the news you covered, but because of the big community that participated here.

@Lokero, you mention Kopogero who was in fact one of the most informative, helpful and experienced members here. He was one great example that MMO's did need a change from how they were build for the last 5+ years. He was one of the few here who consistently informed the community how we can bring a better age and yes we might be experiencing drought of quality products right now, but that's because players like Kopogero have grown in numbers that are simply not willing to blow their $ on whatever product came with popular IP or massive hype and marketing. So, change is coming and that can be finally seen in what is coming in late 2017 and beyond.

The absence of Kopogero and many others should be something the staff here should re-examine and why such popular individuals are no longer participating here. Kopogero made these forums far more entertaining than I can think of most in this community and as you know that's what draws individuals to participate on forums. As far as I remember Kopogero choose to be banned from here due to the approach the staff had toward those who were breaking the terms of service around here.

The staff should've choose to be far more lax toward its community like many other communities or if they intended to be strict to keep up that level of moderation consistently. He flagged some individual twice for clearly breaking the TOS, trolling/flaming him and his post still remained weeks later. In fact even after he brought that attention and choosing to get banned for heavily criticizing the staff the person who trolled him his post was never removed afterwards.

Nm. Caught  the alt issue.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    DMKano said:
    Forgrimm said:
    Grunty said:
    I see the Kopogero fan club has increased it's membership to three. Or is it still just one?
    The OP is Kopogero on an alt account. The other day he posted his "haven't bought a new game in 5 years" nonsense and the thread was shut down in minutes. 

Bingo - glad I am not the only one who noticed this.
    Oh yea, I had wondered why I had stopped seeing posts from that person. This all makes sense now.

"OP" there's plenty of people that bring interesting things to the community, which if you aren't aware is purely subjective as to what is interesting and what isn't. Blue and Kano often post interesting perspectives, but just because I find it interesting doesn't mean others will. Also as Bill mentioned, it comes down to the genre itself and the platforms for news. Thanks to Youtube, anyone and their mother can post news/thoughts/etc honestly faster than an article can be written. Then you have those that may prefer to hear news vs reading it when it happens. Not to mention how these venues interact and what people just general prefer. Too many variables determine how something will be received in one area. I can get game reviews from AngryJoe or Totalbiscuit (which I usually do on both because I like them as broadcasting individuals) and that may be enough, or I'll read up on something here. Not everyone is like that though.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    How about mmorpg.com make they own mmorpg ?
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Been coming here about 10 years and although there have been changes, still enjoying the web site. There is less bickering than there used to be. I used to get on here and argue with people who dissed SWTOR but I kind of got sick of it, and I have not found other mmo's since then that are worth bickering about 

• theoldeqtheoldeq Member UncommonPosts: 2
    @blueturtle13

thread starter sry
  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    This place went downhill because MMOs did. Remember the hype around the time we had AoC, WAR, SWTOR, RIFT and so many other on the horizon? Now...nothing to talk about.
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    The peak of the MMO genre was EVE (for sandbox) and WoW (for themepark)

Before that, there were TONS of innovative...non money greed inspired MMOs. When WoW released, it was amazing, it was great. But then there were 1 million and 1 WoW clones and the MMO genre changed.

SWG, Asheron's Call, Everquest 1, Ultima Online, Auto Assault, City of Heroes, Tabula Rasa. All made when the MMO genre was NOT about getting millions of subs, quick cash ins, pay to win cash shops, cash shops at all were in fact rare for AAA MMOs. And all the MMOs I listed and more inspired to be creative and advance the MMO genre.

Sadly, just like real life. Silicone valley devs and many like them just want money and to dumb down society to make people stupider, and get rich in the process

MMOs need to collapse and then go back to their old ways. Innovation, lack of greed and dollar signs in devs eyes, devs that actually love games...not controlled by suits and money men

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441
    I use to have that "I cannot wait for the updates on this site everyday feeling." Then the stupid a$$ FTP shit kicked in and ruined MMO's and I dont have any urge to play MMO's anymore. I still come here a few times a week.

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    This thread is nothing more than the usual nostalgia goggles effect.  Look, the fact of the matter is, most games can't even hold a huge, enthralling, edge of your seat community.  We're talking about games that, 10 years ago, any single one of them would have thrown us through a loop.

But we've all been doing this for 10 plus years... many of us that are consistent and come back every so often to this community.  

This site is as much of what it was as MMO's are what they were.  This site has gotten BETTER not WORSE.  They cover a lot more things, there's a lot more information, there's new rewards systems in place, there's streams and exclusives... there are reasons to come here that we didn't have when I started coming here.

But people are just whiny, they don't see that, because they've seen everything.  The internet as a whole has moved away from that which gave this site their rise.  News stories, articles, blogs, these things are more prevalent and less popular than they've been in years.

People get their information from facebook and twitter feeds, youtube channels, OS tickers like google searches and notification bars.  

It's nothing that MMORPG is doing wrong, they're doing the best they can for what state the information age is in currently.

• TatsuyaHirokiTatsuyaHiroki Member UncommonPosts: 108
    edited November 2016
    Distopia said:
    Lets be honest here, back in the day the greater majority of activity was nothing but petty bickering that went on for hours. While that element still exists, (Star Citizen anyone?) Today it's a lot easier to wade through the trash and find sensible discussion.  IF that's a result of diminished activity.. It's not without a silver lining...

Edit to add.. No matter what, this site is run by people who care about it, that's enough to keep me around. It's nice to be able to know humans are guiding the experience and they're obviously deeply involved with their own community, if you need to speak to one of them directly. you can...

There aren't many sites with this level of success you can say that about, the writers don't behave as though they need a go between standing between them and their audience, that's rare. 

I think you summed up in a few words what makes me just tired of the forums here in general:

The simple fact that each day we get to read the same bitching and moaning about how mmos sucks nowaday and how they used to better..like guys, we get it.  No need to beat a dead horse into the ground even more.

that  and how third party games discussion are mostly a ghost town

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Mardukk said:
    It's amazing how crazy this forum was around SWTOR and GW2.  I do think it's the genre mainly at fault, for the lack of activity on this site.   I think a significant number of old schoolers gave up on the stagnant genre that had abandoned them, mixed with youngsters being happy with tiny app games (why I don't know).  And lastly the days of the AAA MMO appear to be over.  Mix all that fun stuff together and you have the current state of this site.
    Developing games are more interesting then updates. There are the indie games and some Asian ones but as long as there isn't a few western AAA MMOs in development things will be pretty calm here.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    I guess the op is right, it used to be busy here 24/7 and the post feed was active. Now it's kinda slowed down. I doubt it will get better, lots of game sites have gone downhill.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• wolfpack2012wolfpack2012 Member UncommonPosts: 42
    They can't blame it all on the state of MMOs. I've been lurking here for a long time... and there is a major decline in quality on this site. Sometimes days will go by with no update at all yet other sites have updates daily on mmos. Mmorpg.com simply is dropping the ball and kicking their feet up on the desk to relax.
  • shamus252shamus252 Member UncommonPosts: 226
    Tiller said:
    I guess the op is right, it used to be busy here 24/7 and the post feed was active. Now it's kinda slowed down. I doubt it will get better, lots of game sites have gone downhill.
    I think pretty much this, not just mmorpg, but many other sites also.

I have been on this site for over 10 years, I still come here but it's more like once a week now. Were back in the day I was on here 3-5 times a day.

Sic semper tyrannis "Democracy broke down, not when the Union
    ceased to be agreeable to all its constituent States, but when it was upheld, like any other Empire, by force of arms."

• Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    Ive been a lurker here for many many years now. I still visit several times a day but mostly its just news i already heard on some other site like mmo champion etc. 
    Right now im playing legion, so my souce for news and rumors comes from wowhead and champion. 
    On a typical day ill log online, check those 2 sites, read the latest updates and then quickly glance at mmorpg.com before opening up battle.net and getting my day started.
    Im quietly excited about amazons new mmo so that will keep me logging in here every day for the next year os so. 

• WoeToTheVanquishedWoeToTheVanquished Member UncommonPosts: 276
    edited November 2016
    From 2003-2016 I've been part of this site and I've seen where it used to be and where it is now. There was a time when there was thousand+ of concurrent, active community on these forums and now there is barely a hundred. As a MMORPG fan I am disappointed when any community/site is going downhill but usually these things are caused by bad decisions within those in charge of either their games or in this case their site/forums.
    It isn't the fault of mmorpg.com that people don't want to come here. There are few -- if any -- decent mmos being developed today. It's so bad that mmorpg.com posts news about offline games and games that aren't even worth the time to report about.

I give credit to this website for actually reporting real news for once -- at one point they would only post about games/companies that were paying them ad revenue (the advertisements you see above and on the outskirts of the page).

But the lack of people looking for mmo news is due to the correlated lack of good games.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Torval said:

....Kopogero who was in fact one of the most informative, helpful and experienced members here. He was one great example that MMO's did need a change from how they were build for the last 5+ years.
    You have to be fucking kidding me right now.
    I was intimidated by his intellectual superiority.  He was so awesome and he was extremely good looking.  I wish I had his autograph.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    They can't blame it all on the state of MMOs. I've been lurking here for a long time... and there is a major decline in quality on this site. Sometimes days will go by with no update at all yet other sites have updates daily on mmos. Mmorpg.com simply is dropping the ball and kicking their feet up on the desk to relax.
    LOL well that's ironic. Just yesterday, an arguably very slow news day, had 15 "updates" -- 4 features, 11 news, not to mention spirited and ongoing discussions on the forums and more than a ton of new forum posts. Guess it's all in your definition.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    This site definitely isn't top for MMO news (I use MOP for that), but this site still retains the best MMO forums imo, even if they are in decline. 

There are definitely things the staff could do to improve the site, primarily:
    • Improved site design - there have been a couple of failed attempts this year to update the look and feel of the site, as well as a few minor changes. This doesn't really affect regular visitors, but a new visitor to the site isn't going to be encouraged by the current design. It is very outdated and messy and the most important content (news and features) isn't obvious. 
    • More news and features - As mentioned, I go to massively op for my MMO news. They have a lot more news items on their site, seems to be a pretty constant stream every day. Their reviews / analysis aren't as good as here, but some of their columns are better. If they had forums, chances are I would be lurking there rather than here. 

That said, both of these things take large amounts of time and money. I work in web development and if we were approached to rebuild this site and migrate all the content, we'd be asking £20k minimum I would have thought. I'm guessing they don't have anywhere near that budget which is why they're having to do some of the work themselves and why there are problems. 

Same with more news and features. I would guess most of the columnists here do it for free, or minimal money, but it's hard to get your creative juices flowing for substandard products. I certainly wouldn't want to write about generic asian grinders or potential indie mmo #12

The main issue really is the genre. I've been lurking here since 2004 but only really started posting in the last 2 years. When a big new game comes out things are great - plenty of news and features from the staff and tons of forum engagement from the community. However, they are few and far between. So, we all end up discussing the same old shit, over and over - sandbox vs themepark, horizontal vs vertical progression, quests vs grinding, power gaps, action vs tactical combat etc.....

Now, I enjoy these conversations and the forum pvp, but it is repetitive. I mainly do it because I'm bored at work and taking 20mins out to trawl the forums and make a few posts is a good distraction, but outside of work I rarely visit these forums as I'd rather be playing games. 

Eventually I'll give up. There are only so many times I can repeat the same arguments, correct the same mistakes from the same people and reminisce about the same old games. If there isn't new stimuli to generate new conversations, stagnation is inevitable. 2016 has been particularly bad, but 2017 promises to be the year of the indie MMO. Good or bad, they're certain to generate a lot of interesting debates here.