Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Effect: Andromeda - What We Know After N7 Day - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageMass Effect: Andromeda - What We Know After N7 Day - MMORPG.com

This week started off with a bang with Monday’s N7 Day, the annual remembrance of the Mass Effect original trilogy and Commander Shepard. On this particular N7 Day, Bioware deluged fans of the series with the first big info-dump about Mass Effect: Andromeda, the new game that is set for a Q1 2017 release. We’ve sifted through some of the announcements and information revealed on N7 Day and after to call out what we feel are five great things about ME:A coming our way.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited November 2016
    "Play It The Way You Want," I really wish they would just stop saying that. I want to play it as Commander Shepard and that's not going to happen.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Harbinger1975Harbinger1975 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    I'm sorry. I just do not buy it. I refuse to believe ANYTHING Bioware says now. From what I'm gathering, they are taking the next iteration of Mass Effect and turning it into Dragon age. A one hit wonder hero where choices and the "Play your way" means absolute diddly squat. I will NEVER believe the marketing crap again from EAWare.

• josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    I have no doubt that this will be GOTY. Bioware is just not capable of developing bad games. Their storytelling is incredible.

ME:A is probably the only game I'm actually looking forward to. The other 2 would be the Witcher 4 or Cyberpunk 2077.
  • Harbinger1975Harbinger1975 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    edited November 2016
    josko9 said:
    I have no doubt that this will be GOTY. Bioware is just not capable of developing bad games. Their storytelling is incredible.

ME:A is probably the only game I'm actually looking forward to. The other 2 would be the Witcher 4 or Cyberpunk 2077.
    I'm sorry.  The REAL storytelling Bioware died when EA took over.  Back at Mass Effect 2.  If it becomes GOTY, then someone got bought to make it so.

josko9 said:

Cyberpunk 2077 looks like the game to play.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

josko9 said:

I'm sorry.  The REAL storytelling Bioware died when EA took over.  Back at Mass Effect 2.  If it becomes GOTY, then someone got bought to make it so.

I didn't like ME2 or 3 as much as the original because the RPG disappeared but DA:O, for all it's shortcomings, had some of the best story in game ever. If BW can make ME:A play even halfway decent, my money is on it being a hit.
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    DA:O was released after EA took over, but it was almost finished by then, given that it was released a year later, and certainly didn't feel rushed. Neither DA 2 nor DA:I are as good.

DA2 heavily reused each area, which was mostly okay for Kirkwall, but the outside areas where boring due to it. They weren't even well designed to begin with. The biggest issue many have with it, the combat system, was actually good IMHO. Different from DA:O of course, but fun.

DA:I fails there. They tried to get back to DA:O, but it's simply not working. I simply can't fight tactically. AI is to dumb and random, with enemies running 200 meters backwards, or my compansions refusing to use healing potions, and me either getting no damage or being dead instantly.

The ME franchise was more consistent in all departments compared to the Dragon Age department, i fear if they design the new games outright to be "stand-alone" that they will do the same to ME and redesign the whole thing with every game.

Speaking about not using the characters again doesn't exactly spell "trust" for me, either. It sounds like they don't believe in them, or at least ran out of ideas. And the probability that they had enough ideas for exactly one good-sized game, maybe even including DLC, but not for another..no, far more likely that they'll stretch the game in some way (collectibles here we come), or that it'll be quite short.

I also have no interested in the limited multiplayer the DA or ME franchises have. Either do a full coop campaign (be it the SP campaign or even something new) or don't waste time on it.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

skeaser said:

josko9 said:

I didn't like ME2 or 3 as much as the original because the RPG disappeared but DA:O, for all it's shortcomings, had some of the best story in game ever. If BW can make ME:A play even halfway decent, my money is on it being a hit.
    DA:O was one of the best games around, after that the others were OK, but not as good and became a struggle just to finish.  Loved all three ME games and was happy when they took out mining planets which was good at first but became a royal pain after the first time you did it.  

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Mass Effect died with the ending of 3. I enjoyed all of them from start to finish but this feels more like just a spin off rather than "Mass Effect" "4". Should of just did a complete reboot.
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    I don't get the hate for ME3, ending wasn't the greatest but wasn't this earth shattering terrible ending people claim it was. Try playing through Rage(think that was it) ending was the worst ever. First game was for sure the best but 2 and 3 weren't bad at all. Most the hate I see if just from the last 5 minutes of a trilogy, so how many hours did people love up until that last couple minutes?
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    josko9 said:

I played all of them and actually prefer ME3 over ME2..by far. Might be because I've played it with all the DLCs/Expansions available. Never really understood the hate. Bioware has made me like a sci-fi setting. Hell this is the best RPG series I've ever played. And that's coming from someone that will never understand what's with all the star wars hype (just can't get through the fact that people fight with shinny swords in the space).

If ME:A is GOTY it's because they deserve it. If ME3 released this year, it would literally have no competition at all. I can only imagine how big of an improvement after all these years Andromeda is.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    edited November 2016
    josko9 said:

Yeah well those original Bioware people are all long gone.  Bioware is not what they used to be in any sense of game design.  

Anointing a game just because prior versions were good is really dumb.  Not saying it won't be a good game, but let's wait and see what the game play is like first.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Here's what we know.......for sure.    The founders of Bioware are gone, the original talent that created and directed the game are gone, save for maybe a few.

It may still be a fun game ( I hope ) but I would be surprised if it has the same appeal to the same people as the originals.  My guess is they are targeting a completely different group of gamers and platform.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

goboygo said:

Here's what we know.......for sure.    The founders of Bioware are gone, the original talent that created and directed the game are gone, save for maybe a few.

Most of the original talent still work at BioWare, it's not just "a few". It's not because they moved to another franchise that they left the studio.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    When this game lands GOTY then you will maybe stop talking about how bad EA is.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • RhimeRhime Member UncommonPosts: 283
    How will multiplayer work? Will we be able to play the whole game together with friends or just missions?
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Rhime said:
    How will multiplayer work? Will we be able to play the whole game together with friends or just missions?
    It's a separate component of the game. It's somewhat similar to the MP in ME3 where it's a cooperative objective-based mission with up to 4 players. I don't know if, or how much, it will be expanded though it's not a cooperative effort through the entire game sorry to say.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    The hype is real guys!
  • nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Went to steam and bought the deluxe pack ME1 and ME2 Deluxe only to find out ME 3 isn't for sale on Steam, wtf? I have to buy it from Origin... I'm going to do a full playthrough again, if I buy ME 3 from Origin will my saved choices from 1 and 2 carry over into 3?
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Anireth said:

DA:I fails there. They tried to get back to DA:O, but it's simply not working. I simply can't fight tactically. AI is to dumb and random, with enemies running 200 meters backwards, or my compansions refusing to use healing potions, and me either getting no damage or being dead instantly.
    This is why I played about an hour of DA:I and never picked it back up.

I'm not sure what they were thinking taking away the AI scripting system for companions (it was never required, it was an optional feature that added depth for those who wanted to use it).  It and the atrocious party AI you mention are the reasons I won't play DA:I.

For all its bluster, I'm not sure how you drop the ball so hard.  It wasn't even a system that needed revamping; just plug it into the new game system and make it function identically.  It wasn't a major system nor one that I feel would've caused any sort of delay in release.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    The only thing DA:I did better than DA:O was add a jump button. The story behind DA:O had me hooked and I just haven't felt the same in any Bioware game since then. I actually haven't played a single Bioware game from start to finish since DA:O because the stories just don't pull me in anymore and I don't see ME:A being any different, but only time will tell.
  • RhygarthRhygarth Member UncommonPosts: 259
    So its just an RPG with multiplayer bits....ok next!