Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Groped in VR? I give up

mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
I've been a cheerleader for VR, but maybe I need to rethink this.  Our planet isn't ready for the tech when ppl feel molested in the virtual space.  I knew it would happen, just not this quick.  I think we need to start equiping homes with little isolation tanks so that nobody gets their feelings hurt or feels in any way bad in any ANY situation.  We are a weak minded species and I'm thinking 'The Stand' might not be such a bad event.

"She was shooting zombies with strangers in QuiVr's multiplayer mode when another player began to virtually rub her chest."

http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/24/technology/virtual-reality-sexual-assault/index.html?iid=ob_homepage_tech_pool

I self identify as a monkey.

Comments

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    "He chased me around, making grabbing and pinching motions near my chest. Emboldened, he even shoved his hand toward my virtual crotch and began rubbing," she wrote in a Medium post about the incident last week.

lol, 

I self identify as a monkey.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Maybe you'll understand someday when your daughter, sister, mother, son, brother, father or even you is sexually assaulted.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    Was his name T-Rump? lol
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I agree, you can't expect the majority of the online video game populace to be mature. First things they will do in a competitive online shooter in VR. T-Bag the people they kill.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    edited November 2016
    Cleffy said:
    I agree, you can't expect the majority of the online video game populace to be mature. First things they will do in a competitive online shooter in VR. T-Bag the people they kill.

This has been happening since for almost ever on the internet. VR is really no different than using text to do it; it's all virtual. People will always grief in virtual social situations no mater what platform it's on. Be it on forums, Facebook, virtual worlds, MMOs, Co-Op games, chat groups ect.

Honestly I was reminded of Velvet Sundown when I read this.
    (NSFW)

No one could ever play that game seriously and it was nothing more than a sexual troll fest.

I hate saying this but I would tell any of my family members the same thing.
    Block, report and move on, all you can do. As for the person in the article, it might be best to play the game with people she knows.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Grunty said:
    Maybe you'll understand someday when your daughter, sister, mother, son, brother, father or even you is sexually assaulted.
    By the lawnmower man.
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited November 2016
    Grunty said:
    @Grunty

The dude's a pick, and if I was an admin of the server where it happened I'd ban him. 

However let's be clear on something. If my daughter, sister, mother, son, brother, father or even I was legitimately sexually assaulted I would be freaking furious when a little drama queen like this gets on and compares having her virtual avatar's pixelated chest grabbed by some pixelated hand to a legitimate sexual assault.

If someone was to legitimately sexually assault my daughter, sister, mother, son brother, father or myself they would be in the ICU getting their face reconstructed, if they were lucky. If someone virtually groped my daughter, sister, mother son, brother, father, or myself with a pixelated avatar in a video game, I'd kill them in-game, send them a nasty message, possibly report them to game moderators and then move on with my life.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited November 2016
    Eldurian said:
    Grunty said:
    @Grunty

The dude's a pick, and if I was an admin of the server where it happened I'd ban him. 

However let's be clear on something. If my daughter, sister, mother, son, brother, father or even I was legitimately sexually assaulted I would be freaking furious when a little drama queen like this gets on and compares having her virtual avatar's pixelated chest grabbed by some pixelated hand to a legitimate sexual assault.

If someone was to legitimately sexually assault my daughter, sister, mother, son brother, father or myself they would be in the ICU getting their face reconstructed, if they were lucky. If someone virtually groped my daughter, sister, mother son, brother, father, or myself with a pixelated avatar in a video game, I'd kill them in-game, send them a nasty message, possibly report them to game moderators and then move on with my life.
    Well, I have experienced it in real life.  The original article has done what it is supposed to do.  

Anyone who assaults another, sexual or otherwise, are pricks.  Pricks do wrong and they don't have to be male.  The article is alerting others who haven't been assaulted that there are often lifelong consequences for someone who has been assaulted.  Those who have been assaulted often can't just 'move on with their life'.

Doing nothing until you or someone you know is personally affected by an assault is the wrong thing to do.  Standing off to the side and saying 'Oh, they are just a prick.  Ignore them' is the wrong thing to do.  In real life or online.

At the minimum you can act as a witness and as support for someone assaulted.  Support does not even require personal interaction with those assaulted.  

The article is highlighting that assaults and bullying online can be as insulting and degrading as a physical assault.  Especially for someone who has previously been physically assaulted.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    edited November 2016
    Grunty said:

The article is highlighting that assaults and bullying online can be as insulting and degrading as a physical assault.  Especially for someone who has previously been physically assaulted.
    And that is where the article and I have some serious disagreement. I would never tell someone who has had someone physically force themselves onto them and actually felt nerve endings on nerve endings violating them in ways they don't wish to be violated to "just get over it." If I wrote the laws it would carry a sentence of neutering for the violator in addition to the prison time.

But while I'm all for making this kind of behavior a bannable offence "just get over it" does apply to the virtual world with pixelated avatars. It's on the level of "I heard some lyrics that were degrading to women in a song so I've been sexually violated." The song stinks, I probably wouldn't listen to it, and I can see how it might trigger negative responses in sexual assault victims. But turn the song off and move on with your life. When you use the term sexual assault so casually it cheapens what that term actually means. If it affects you that much go get some counseling for your clearly troubled mind. Just don't escalate the situation in your mind to be more than it actually was.

Actually treating these cases as "sexual assaults" is basically going to the level of "thought crimes." Real sexual assaults can and should carry jail sentences. Do you think people should be sent to jail for behaving like a jerk in-game? Because if you treat online idiocy as a true sexual assault that's what I'm hearing.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    But pvp is ok.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

waynejr2 said:
    But pvp is ok.
    Playing a game with PvP is consent to PvP IMO. It's an intentionally created part of the game and everyone is aware of it when they buy it. I think this is different but it's not as bad as it's being made out to be.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Eldurian said:
    waynejr2 said:
    But pvp is ok.
    Playing a game with PvP is consent to PvP IMO. It's an intentionally created part of the game and everyone is aware of it when they buy it. I think this is different but it's not as bad as it's being made out to be.

It is still murder!  hahaha
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

You should read sometime. All of my posts have been about how what this woman experienced was NOT sexual assault. 
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited November 2016
    Can I call it a crime to be killed by another player without my consent?

I will tell the judge they murdered part of myself, and while it was virtual reality...it felt very real. I could feel that blade going through my skin, that spaceship blowing me apart. Whoever does that is a sick twisted individual to murder another person or blow them up. Even if its virtual reality, it feels very real. Whoever does that needs to be in prison and get mental help.

That sums up the article and SJWs.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul