Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What about dungeons in Legion?

VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
Hello there!

As i'm closely following the goings around Legion, i barely read anything on it's dungeons -except that you have to do them to progress with your professions.
I always loved doing dungeons, even with bad pugs. As long as people are trying to do better and remain respectful to each other, i don't mind to heal even the worst players. I miss those nights and endless hours in Blackrock!

With Legion, nobody seems to talk about them anymore and hence my questions.
Are dungeons any good altogether?
Did Blizzard go away from their "hallway -> room -> hallway -> boss room" design?
Are they any longer than 20minutes or does Blizzard still cater to the "GOGOGO" crowd?
Do they have any meaning at all, now that weapons don't drop anymore and you get gear from quests?
How are the queues with people being stuck with one spec and everyone is leveling as a dd?
Any interesting mechanics or stories?

Thanks for your input!

Comments

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Im fairly new to WoW starting in 2012 with MoP, but I find the dungeons in Legion more engaging and directly tied to the story.  Its not room-boss-room.  They are longer than 20 minutes and some of them have outside areas to ride around in.

What I love about the dungeons is that they are challegning without being overbearing.  As well as the upgrade path of doing normals to gear up for heroics to gear up for raids or the new mythic dungeons.  As you complete Mythics you can get an RNG for a Mythic+ dungeon that is harder and give better rewards.  If you beat that Mythic+ you can get a keystone for a harder Mythic+.  I find that to be nice progression.  TBC I haven't made it to Mythics but look forward to them.

I like the stories and find myself reading the Adventure guide (the book that shows you the dungeon mechanics) more than I ever have.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    edited October 2016
    They are pretty good and seem to have the right idea overall.  I do think it was a bad idea to have world quests drop such good gear.  Heroic dungeons are kinda like the new normal dungeon and their rewards are fairly underwhelming.  Heroic dungeon gear should always be better than faceroll open world 3 minute quests.
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    The only real dungeons in Legion are Mythic+ dungeons.  Normal and Heroic dungeons are meaningless on so many levels.  World quests killed Normal and Heroic dungeons because the loot drops are better and you actually KNOW that you are going to get said item after all is said and done unlike the RNG mess of dungeons.  

Why run a heroic dungeon for the slight possibility of an actual gear drop when you can do a world quest and get a 100% possibility?  I did a world quest yesterday for a iLvl 830 item (which is better than Heroic dungeon gear unless it magically upgrades itself)... so I knew I'd at least get that and I knew exactly what stats it would have too... unlike the drops in dungeons which seem to always be for that other spec that you aren't even leveling.  It upgraded to iLvl 865.  Tell me now, would you run Heroics for a chance at an 825 item when you know you can get an 830 or more item?

Mythic+ unfortunately is where the whole game revolves around.  All those achievements to kill said boss while balancing a piñata on your head are all Mythic level.  Normal and Heroic is more like, thanks for doing us, here's you achievement for having run them once.  You can't queue for them, you have to join a premade and that's limited to just your server crz.  7.2 actually opens up these dungeons to all but by then you'll all be in 870 gear from world quests.

Your class quests sends you to mythic dungeons... your professions send you to mythic dungeons... Mythic Mythic Mythic.  Oh you wanted to see Kara?  Mythic only.  Thankyou for keeping half the game gated behind Mythic until patch 7.2 which probably won't happen until June of next year.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Mythic+ can be quite brutal which is a welcome addition to 5 mans. Loads of people are complaining about content being gated behind Mythics, which I could see being a problem for a solo player, but Blizzard was trying to recapture the sense of community with Mythic+ Sort of like BC heroics -- you didn't queue, you went with people you knew and trusted. It's content for people who love 5 mans. They stay relevant and don't become a 10 minute stomp like they were in previous expansions. 

As for design, I think they're pretty fun overall. They all have backstories, and interesting lore. 
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    edited November 2016
    Are dungeons any good altogether? 
    Yes. Actually for me this expansion has some of the best dungeons in the game.
    Did Blizzard go away from their "hallway -> room -> hallway -> boss room" design?
    Yes. Most of them are very well designed.
    Are they any longer than 20minutes or does Blizzard still cater to the "GOGOGO" crowd?
    Some of them are still very simple and short in design. But others like Karazhan, Vault of the Wardens etc are very well designed and long dungeons overall.
    Do they have any meaning at all, now that weapons don't drop anymore and you get gear from quests?
    Yes. Dungeons are very important in Legion. Normal versions are just for the leveling and very VERY easy to do. Heroic versions are not a challenge either and you will only do them once or twice really. Mythic dungeons are the heroic dungeons from the past expansions. And Mythic+ dungeons are where the real challenge starts. They are like Diablo greater rifts. You will start with Mythic+1 and as yo go higher levels they will get harder and harder and you will get better rewards. If you want you can only do dungeons for your end game progress and it is very viable in Legion. This is one of the reasons why I love this expansion. And they are still adding new dungeons to the game. They announced a new dungeon for 7.2 patch too.
    How are the queues with people being stuck with one spec and everyone is leveling as a dd?
    You can level as a healer or tank. Actually you can do quests etc easier with tank classes and most of the healer classes in Legion. I leveled as a holy paladin. And it was easier to kill rares etc then retri. But even then unfortunately you have to wait in queue longer as a dps.
    Any interesting mechanics or stories?
    Again yes. Actually I was more dissappointed with the first raid after I saw the mythic+ dungeons.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Thank you everyone for the info :)

• WindmillWorkshopWindmillWorkshop Member UncommonPosts: 3
    @Volgore
    They are great, but they did nothing to the previous contents dungeons. If you are leveling a new character, be prepared for speedruns in blackrock depths.
  • ann4ann4 Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Overall I love the feeling of legion dungeons and how they are directly story tied and relatable.

However, I still think mythic+ is not quite where it needs to be at the minute. In my opinion, the difficulty levels require some further tuning. Maybe I'm just complaining? :D
    Hiya!  Would you date a gamer girl? Look at the page I made. Hope you like!  <3