Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Paladins like Overwatch?

124»

Comments

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,756
    edited November 2016
    I honestly do not see why it matters one way or the other. Both games have their fans and the genre is not a unique one. There is plenty of room for both games and even more. I would love to see a TF3 (though Valve can't count to three) I would love to play a darker and grittier themed hero shooter. I would like to see the hero shooter genre include more themes. Like Western or Espionage. There is room for both games and many more.
    This is true but it's fun to argue about stuff.

Also, in the case of Paladins and Overwatch, they are such extreme similarities and the games are releasing so close to eachother that it's definitely worth remarking on.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,756
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:
    I thought we already established that Paladin's was first.
    No.  According to you guys Paladins isn't even out yet.

Why you gotta act like this?  Take all common sense and discard it to prove a point that doesn't even exist.  Good work.
    Hmm?  MadFrenchie was hating on me for "deriding a game in development".  You have mentioned multiple times how Paladins isn't officially released yet (although seriously, it basically is- the cash shop is functional and the game is not going to change much).

Then you say that Paladins was first.  How can it be first if it's not even out yet?

You can argue about who came up with what idea first, but it's clear to me that Paladins ripped off Overwatch.  You can say that Overwatch ripped off Global Agenda, and the pharah comparison from your links is pretty convincing of that in that one instance, but I don't see how you can possibly say that Overwatch ripped off Paladins.
    Global Agenda belongs to the developers of Paladins.  So they have every right to copy whatever they want from their own games.  Just because a game isn't fully released doesn't mean they didn't come up with the ideas first.  Which we have proven already that Paladin's had these ideas in alpha/beta long before Overwatch was even an idea.
    That's true, they are free to copy the pharah thing from Global Agenda, but what about Roadhog?  A big guy with a 4-shot gun that can hook and pull people to one shot them?  That wasn't in Global Agenda.

And no, I think we're still fuzzy on what ideas each game had at what point in their development.  We have some idea where Paladins development started, based only on the words of HiRez, but Blizzard has been pretty tight-lipped about when exactly development of Overwatch started.
  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,303
    edited November 2016
    Gorwe said:
    Soki123 said:
    Paladins is a poor mans OW is all.

Unfortunately, it is so. And all because of patch 0,30. Ok patch CB30, whatever.

It has such a potential to be much, much more than poor man's OW though. But I guess that Tencent's got their fingers in this overly stupid decision to turn Paladins into an OW clone. Remember: Chinese LOVE f2p copy pasta. And Tencent's Chinese alright!
    What does Tencent have to do with Paladin's changes? They are just the publisher for the Eastern market, not the developer which is an established American company.

Tencent is like EA, just Asian version of it. They influence things subversively if need be. But it will be by their way. Besides, it was my understanding that 10c owned a large share of HR stock...maybe I was misinformed, but right after they got their fingers in SMITE, the SMITE became...all kinds of uncreative and typical. Maybe it's just a HUGE coincidence.

The same happened to Paladins after CB30...I clearly doubt any player asked for such sweeping changes tbh. Unless a corporate interest "asked" for it to be made into a clone. Twas quite unique before it from I gather.

edit: I'm always for more grit. These shooters are bleh(more of a cartoon than anything else really) currently...I just had an idea worth 1mil $: 40k Hero Shooter! What do you say, eh?
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 2,893
    Exactly the same.  One is good (overwatch) the other is the poor man's version (Paladins)

There arte a ton of other games that look similar that aren't because of massive mechanic differences like Gigantic, or Paragon, but yeah this is straight up ghetto overwatch.
  • SedrynTyrosSedrynTyros Member EpicPosts: 2,924
    I'm just going to put this here for a bit:

• blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,869
    edited November 2016
    Gorwe said:
    Gorwe said:
    Soki123 said:
    Paladins is a poor mans OW is all.

Unfortunately, it is so. And all because of patch 0,30. Ok patch CB30, whatever.

It has such a potential to be much, much more than poor man's OW though. But I guess that Tencent's got their fingers in this overly stupid decision to turn Paladins into an OW clone. Remember: Chinese LOVE f2p copy pasta. And Tencent's Chinese alright!
    What does Tencent have to do with Paladin's changes? They are just the publisher for the Eastern market, not the developer which is an established American company.

Tencent is like EA, just Asian version of it. They influence things subversively if need be. But it will be by their way. Besides, it was my understanding that 10c owned a large share of HR stock...maybe I was misinformed, but right after they got their fingers in SMITE, the SMITE became...all kinds of uncreative and typical. Maybe it's just a HUGE coincidence.

The same happened to Paladins after CB30...I clearly doubt any player asked for such sweeping changes tbh. Unless a corporate interest "asked" for it to be made into a clone. Twas quite unique before it from I gather.

edit: I'm always for more grit. These shooters are bleh(more of a cartoon than anything else really) currently...I just had an idea worth 1mil $: 40k Hero Shooter! What do you say, eh?
    Tencent does not own Hirez Studios nor any stake in it. They are a privately-held  company in the state of Georgia, USA.
    Tencent is just the Eastern publisher. Hirez publishes their games themselves in North America and Europe.
    Tencent has no influence over game development from Hirez studios.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 990
    The game is a straight up OW clone.  I'm not even sure how this is a debate.

The game was actually differentiated to an acceptable extent, before, but they have done revamp after revamp with the sole purpose of making this game as close to OW as possible.
    holdenhamlet
  • LowellsandersLowellsanders Member UncommonPosts: 134
    It's not the same as of Overwatch, both are First person shooter game but Paladins also have Third person shooting as well
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,064
    Hi-Rez is just another of those game studios who learned that copying the best does make you, at best, the second best... and you have to be pretty good at it if you want to achieve that. They failed.
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,095
    Darksworm said:

The game was actually differentiated to an acceptable extent, before, but they have done revamp after revamp with the sole purpose of making this game as close to OW as possible.
    So whats the difference between that and what Rift did using WAR and WoW?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 34,486
    Ouch, 2 yr old necro back from the dead.
    SedrynTyros

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 990
    Darksworm said:

So whats the difference between that and what Rift did using WAR and WoW?
    Who said it was different?  How far did Rift get?  Not very far, last I checked.  WAR copied DAoC.  Didn't get it very far.  Ended up dying while DAoC still had a mentionable player base (I remember logging into DAoC back then, when it was still a subscription game).

I remember preordering Rift, and then quitting within a week after release...  Not long after early access finished up.  It was another badly designed, poorly optimized, derivative MMORPG in the middle of a storm of those.  Not very memorable.

There's a difference between being derivative, and a straight up copy, though.  Even WoW was derivative...  However, Paladins was revamped, basically, to copy Overwatch in almost every way that mattered.  Even many of the heroes are basically OW Heroes with different skins and a few extra abilities.

So you're not really making a strong point.

The issue with copying this blatantly is that people who burn out of Overwatch are likely not to find anything worth their wild in Paladins, because the game is simply too "carbon copy."  This is part of the reason why so many of the games that copied WoW to an extreme limit pretty much died before they ever established themselves.