Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UPDATED: Nost Team Makes Good On Threat To Release The Server Code - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

Comments

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,034
    Myria said:
    exile01 said:

You dreamer. The thing they coded and are giving for free cannot be sued no matter what because it is their code.
    Assuming they used no Blizz code, which frankly is doubtful, the use of Blizz's IP and assets is more than enough to get them sued into oblivion.
    I thought these servers only ran server side code and the "assets", at least the art and sound were on the user end. . who maybe violates TOS for using it in that way.  They would have had to code in NPC names and quest text though I guess so that does make it a problem.  Just trying to figure this out for myself.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• SyndromofaDownSyndromofaDown Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Are you guys actually talking about the game's (WoW) mechanics and whats changed from Vanilla to Legion or are you talking about how you feel? Weird...
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 6,684
    Very stupid move by the nost team. It was almost guaranteed that Blizzard was going to say something about implementing legacy servers next years since the game is gonna run out of content by mid next year anyway (more of the same stuff with higher ilvls isn't new stuff people...). I bet Blizzard was even gonna hire the dudes too....smh.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 6,987

Well I think Nos can now be thinked for never getting a Vanilla WoW offical server. Why did they go through all that trouble only to throw it away when they didnt get there way asap.

Blizzard moves very slowly and even they knew that if something like this was going to happen that its going to take years to happen. Its not flip and switch and its running the next day. 

But by doing what they did they I can bet that they destroyed any REAL interested Blizzard had in making an official vanilla server. I would be very suprised if there is not some real repercusions legally coming down there way. Even more so that they know these people as they personally came and visited blizzard. Heck Blizzard sued the crap out of the bot makers and won big on that. 

well I say, if Blizzard had announced that they were working on a Vanilla Server (no time table), that would be enough to satisfy a lot of fans. But them keep pushing back and pushing back, people arent willing to wait forever for something that may never come, especially if it never will be announced period.

• StizzledStizzled Member RarePosts: 1,937
    I'm tickled pink, getting my old character back and looking forward to continuing the adventure. The fickle idiots of the Nost forums will be doing the same once they get done with their tantrums.

I love all the people hoping the get sued. Sued for what, releasing custom scripts and character data for an open source project that Blizzard has absolutely no ownership of? Get real.

Love how their reasoning was completely left out of this story as well. Did Nost release the code too soon?They sure don't think so:

"After the meeting with Blizzard, we continued to reach out regarding the issues they raised in order to help them as much as possible and to speed up the process of an official release. Trust us, we were ready to work like hell on that, even more than before in order to help WoW team. But we never received any response to these questions, even after 4 months. Then, we tried to show our motivation to solve the issues from a different angle by working on mature proposals (studies, cost analysis, schedules, milestones, etc.), including a complete transfer of technology of our existing work, fixing the few remaining issues we had, official Battle.Net integration on Legacy to enhance community driven strategy and other more complex IT topics, all of this on a volunteer basis. Why? Our only goal was to nullify as much as possible the impact of Legacy on the WoW team so that everyone could be pleased with the result. We knew that having even a single person from the current WoW Team working on Legacy might not be seen in a positive light by the Legion community, something we understand. Sadly, we never received any answers to these proposals either.

Blizzcon got closer by month after month, then week after week, and all the while we had a constant flow of messages from the community solidly supporting the idea of legacy servers. So we decided to take the risk of challenging Blizzard regarding Legacy servers and lighting the flame of hope for one final burst. Why? Because there are many MMORPGs coming in 2017 and 2018, mainly from Asia and also including crowd funded projects. Vanilla WoW fans were already disappointed by the stance Blizzard had adopted for so many years, and many of those people might never come back unless things moved fast on the subject."

Looks like the Nost team made every effort to push this forward and were completely ignored. I say good on the Nost team for finally sticking to their guns and doing something for the Vanilla community. Now everything can go back to normal, we get our "pirate" servers back, the WoW team can continue to ignore the issue and focus on Legion, and all the people too scared to play on a private server can go back to waiting for Blizzard to maybe someday possibly think about putting legacy servers on the discussion table.

Everybody wins, GG Nost!
    honestly, I dont understand the rage here. can somebody explain what anybody has to be upset about?

• ShelassaShelassa MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 616

Thupli said:

SBFord said:

They have lost every iota of both sympathy and
    credibility they may have earned in their discussion with Blizzard. I
    hope Blizzard goes after the "owners" of Nostalrius in every possible
    legal way.

Looking for the story here... am I missing it?  I see no post from Nostalrius whatsoever.
    https://en.nostalrius.org/

Where is the story coming from?
    Where is the link showing that Nostalrius has actually released the code?

The newspost has the link under "Nostalrius forum".
    You can also find the announcement itself by heading to said forums through the very link you have posted and picking "Forums" and then heading to "annoucements" sub-section of it.
  • AreWeLiveAreWeLive Member UncommonPosts: 185
    Maybe these guys just had enough of being the heads of the revolt and this is how they can now walk away and move on in life...have kids and get real jobs...
    Sometimes ya wake up and decide maybe a pirates life is not for me anymore....
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited November 2016
    Legion is better than Vanilla.

Difference is that Vanilla was golden in 2004, Legion is barely mediocre in 2016 compared to other MMOs.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 6,684
    Stizzled said:
    I'm tickled pink, getting my old character back and looking forward to continuing the adventure. The fickle idiots of the Nost forums will be doing the same once they get done with their tantrums.

I love all the people hoping the get sued. Sued for what, releasing custom scripts and character data for an open source project that Blizzard has absolutely no ownership of? Get real.

Love how their reasoning was completely left out of this story as well. Did Nost release the code too soon?They sure don't think so:

"After the meeting with Blizzard, we continued to reach out regarding the issues they raised in order to help them as much as possible and to speed up the process of an official release. Trust us, we were ready to work like hell on that, even more than before in order to help WoW team. But we never received any response to these questions, even after 4 months. Then, we tried to show our motivation to solve the issues from a different angle by working on mature proposals (studies, cost analysis, schedules, milestones, etc.), including a complete transfer of technology of our existing work, fixing the few remaining issues we had, official Battle.Net integration on Legacy to enhance community driven strategy and other more complex IT topics, all of this on a volunteer basis. Why? Our only goal was to nullify as much as possible the impact of Legacy on the WoW team so that everyone could be pleased with the result. We knew that having even a single person from the current WoW Team working on Legacy might not be seen in a positive light by the Legion community, something we understand. Sadly, we never received any answers to these proposals either.

Blizzcon got closer by month after month, then week after week, and all the while we had a constant flow of messages from the community solidly supporting the idea of legacy servers. So we decided to take the risk of challenging Blizzard regarding Legacy servers and lighting the flame of hope for one final burst. Why? Because there are many MMORPGs coming in 2017 and 2018, mainly from Asia and also including crowd funded projects. Vanilla WoW fans were already disappointed by the stance Blizzard had adopted for so many years, and many of those people might never come back unless things moved fast on the subject."

Looks like the Nost team made every effort to push this forward and were completely ignored. I say good on the Nost team for finally sticking to their guns and doing something for the Vanilla community. Now everything can go back to normal, we get our "pirate" servers back, the WoW team can continue to ignore the issue and focus on Legion, and all the people too scared to play on a private server can go back to waiting for Blizzard to maybe someday possibly think about putting legacy servers on the discussion table.

Everybody wins, GG Nost!
    So by your logic, when you buy a movie, you are now free to distribute it however you see fit and to how many people you see fit even though it says that its a federal crime if done so in every film, right?

Terms of services on every game in existence work the same way. Oh, they used Blizzards assets to "make their own thing" from it so its now there's right? Um, no? Its still Blizzards assets that were "modified" and being distributed without their permission. Some people, I swear....
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,126
    Thupli said:
    OhhPaigey said:
    Thupli said:
    SBFord said:
    They have lost every iota of both sympathy and credibility they may have earned in their discussion with Blizzard. I hope Blizzard goes after the "owners" of Nostalrius in every possible legal way.

Looking for the story here... am I missing it?  I see no post from Nostalrius whatsoever.
    https://en.nostalrius.org/

Where is the story coming from?
    Where is the link showing that Nostalrius has actually released the code?

http://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44550
    Thanks for linking the actual information!  They should hire you :D
    You know, on the front page is this title, an actual LINK, that you can click to read the ENTIRE story where EVERY relevant link is provided including the much more PRECISE link to the exact Nost forum post.

http://www.mmorpg.com/world-of-warcraft/news/nost-team-makes-good-on-threat-to-release-the-server-code-1000042012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Albatroes said:
    Stizzled said:

Everybody wins, GG Nost!
    So by your logic, when you buy a movie, you are now free to distribute it however you see fit and to how many people you see fit even though it says that its a federal crime if done so in every film, right?

Terms of services on every game in existence work the same way. Oh, they used Blizzards assets to "make their own thing" from it so its now there's right? Um, no? Its still Blizzards assets that were "modified" and being distributed without their permission. Some people, I swear....
    They aren't using Blizzards assets, we the players are using Blizzard's client to connect to a completely custom code base that emulates Blizzard's servers. That custom code base is what they are releasing. 

So, it's nothing like distributing illegal copies of movies. It's actually no different than uploading updates or fixes to any open source project. MaNGOS is the open source core they started with, they're simply uploading the fixes they made to the scripts, as well as their completely custom anti-cheat program. 
  • RottsteinRottstein Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Albatroes said:
    Very stupid move by the nost team. It was almost guaranteed that Blizzard was going to say something about implementing legacy servers next years since the game is gonna run out of content by mid next year anyway (more of the same stuff with higher ilvls isn't new stuff people...). I bet Blizzard was even gonna hire the dudes too....smh.
    LOL, Blizz was never going to give this any attention.  
    Albatroes said:
    Stizzled said:

Everybody wins, GG Nost!

using that same logic, isnt it illegal to not pay taxes? isnt it illegal to sent top secret documents over a private server? 

come on now...

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 13,140
    Stizzled said:
    They aren't using Blizzards assets, we the players are using Blizzard's client to connect to a completely custom code base that emulates Blizzard's servers. That custom code base is what they are releasing. 

So, it's nothing like distributing illegal copies of movies. It's actually no different than uploading updates or fixes to any open source project. MaNGOS is the open source core they started with, they're simply uploading the fixes they made to the scripts, as well as their completely custom anti-cheat program. 
    Which client and where did you get it?
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 6,590
    In my opinion, I think they are doing the right thing. I honestly don't think Blizzard ever had any intention of moving forward. Of course neither party wins but that outcome wasn't any different when Blizzard just sat on their ass for months doing nothing to work with them on it. I still think Blizzard are the A holes or at the very least, some very lazy pieces of dung.

Stizzled said:
    Albatroes said:
    Stizzled said:

Everybody wins, GG Nost!

so you mind explaining the outrage here from their supporters?

• blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,870
    edited November 2016
    SBFord said:
    I hardly see this as news. There are literally hundreds of private WOW servers and even a ton of 'vanilla' ones.
     I think this is much to do about nothing.
    45 comments within 2 hours says it's news. I'd say it's "a lot of ado about something". ;)
    Not really. Your previous two news stories have zero comments. It is a slow news day.
    Not because this is somehow compelling it is just more interesting then nothing ;)

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Iselin said:
    Stizzled said:

The Vanilla client, patched up to 1.12.1, as every private server uses. I got the client from my own original disks and the patches from various file hosting sites that have nothing to do with Nost.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,126
    edited November 2016
    SBFord said:
    I hardly see this as news. There are literally hundreds of private WOW servers and even a ton of 'vanilla' ones.
    45 comments within 2 hours says it's news. I'd say it's "a lot of ado about something". ;)
    Not really. It is a slow news day ;)
    I see. So the relevance of Blizzard itself inviting these folks to their campus, something they've never done with any one of the "hundreds of private WOW servers'" admins, making a move that seems to be in direct conflict with the spirit of the discussion they held ostensibly in their own words, "on behalf of all vanilla WoW fans", ISN'T news even on a busy day? Huh, go figure. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Stizzled said:
    Iselin said:
    Stizzled said:

The Vanilla client, patched up to 1.12.1, as every private server uses. I got the client from my own original disks and the patches from various file hosting sites that have nothing to do with Nost.
    Yeah there is actually a ton of servers out there running the vanilla client and have been for some time now.
    These guys just keep getting press.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    They never had any credibility to begin with. Making a petition asking a company to do something is fine, but stealing their game to make your own private version of it is nonsense. Releasing this server code just proves that these people are just a bunch of spoiled brats who throw a tantrum when they don't get what they want. If you don't like what WoW is, then don't play the damn game. This entitlement shit is silly and these people need to be called on it. You don't have a right to tell anyone what to do with their product that they created.
    Stizzled said:
    Albatroes said:
    Stizzled said:

Everybody wins, GG Nost!

so you mind explaining the outrage here from their supporters?
    To which outrage are you referring? The outrage from current WoW fans, or the outrage from Nost fans? I'm going to assume the latter since the former is obvious.

The outrage, which is already starting to calm down as new details have come to light, was coming from people who were convinced that Nostalrius was going to announce a reopening of their servers. Instead, they announced that they were going to give their source code to another private server group. 

The outrage came from a lack of details given by Nostalrius that has since been cleared up by the group being given the code. Many believed that we weren't going to get our Nost characters back, which we now know that we are, and they also believed that it was this new team, one which many have no faith in as good developers, would be in charge, which we now know that a good majority of the Nost devs (those behind the scenes that we, and Blizzard, never met) are going to continue working on the project.

To sum it up, the Nost announcement made it seem as if they were simply giving over the code to somewhat unliked vanilla group, when in face we are getting the original Nost servers, as they were (characters and all) with mostly the same dev team simply working under a different team. People were outraged because they thought Nostalrius was going to be officially dead, but instead we now know they're simply changing the name.

Of course, some people are still unhappy, but they can rage all they want, they'll be there on the "new" old servers just like the rest of us.
    SBFord said:
    SBFord said:
    Not really. It is a slow news day ;)
    I see. So the relevance of Blizzard itself inviting these folks to their campus, something they've never done with any one of the "hundreds of private WOW servers'" admins, making a move that seems to be in direct conflict with the spirit of the discussion they held ostensibly in their own words, "on behalf of all vanilla WoW fans", ISN'T news even on a busy day? Huh, go figure. 
    What I think is too many sites are giving these guys too much press. Sometimes it is not about the clicks and responses but the relevancy of giving press to those that do not deserve it ;)   huh, go figure.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SedrynTyrosSedrynTyros Member EpicPosts: 2,924
    edited November 2016
    donger56 said:
    They never had any credibility to begin with. Making a petition asking a company to do something is fine, but stealing their game to make your own private version of it is nonsense. Releasing this server code just proves that these people are just a bunch of spoiled brats who throw a tantrum when they don't get what they want. If you don't like what WoW is, then don't play the damn game. This entitlement shit is silly and these people need to be called on it. You don't have a right to tell anyone what to do with their product that they created.
    But if Blizzard is done with their older versions of the game, then why not allow other people to run with them?

I don't think anything about Nostalrius' post reads like a bunch of spoiled brats.  Doesn't read like a tantrum either.  Nor does it read like they feel they are entitled. They weren't holding their hand out asking Blizzard to deposit a server into their palm.  They were offering to shoulder as much of the work as possible themselves.