Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UPDATED: Nost Team Makes Good On Threat To Release The Server Code - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

Comments

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    edited November 2016
    I am guessing since the success of newest xpack, Blizz is giving rats ass for a legacy server. They will probably make one day a legacy server after WoWs userbase decline drastically They have nothing to lose, its probably a win for them anyway. This way the legacy server gets even more developed and when they want it they just get the whole code with all those people on board. And those Elysum guys are probably out of the reach of the US law.
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    edited November 2016
    Don't care - Legion is the best WoW has ever been. No need for Vanillia nostalgia, or its rose tinted glasses.
    Even better than WotLK? Must be really good. Legion is the first expansion I did not buy right when it released. Maybe I should give it a go.
    I dislike a few things they've done with the game to the point I won't be resubbing for this expansion or probably any expansion again however.

With that being said, Legion is one of the best expansions I've played in WoW, they've just been slowly drifting away from the things that I personally have enjoyed from WoW.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Sue? The net code won't have used Blizzard's code; they complied with Blizzard's "cease and desist" and with this act though they are essentially putting up the shutters up and closing down. They have called it a day.
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Not everyone in the world is meant to be smart.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I hardly see this as news. There are literally hundreds of private WOW servers and even a ton of 'vanilla' ones.
     I think this is much to do about nothing.
    45 comments within 2 hours says it's news. I'd say it's "a lot of ado about something". ;)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    SBFord said:
    They have lost every iota of both sympathy and credibility they may have earned in their discussion with Blizzard. I hope Blizzard goes after the "owners" of Nostalrius in every possible legal way.

I'm usually all for sticking it to the big companies and supporting the little guys but blizzard didn't have to play nice or be open minded about any of this, but they did and this is how you say thanks for them taking you serious?? this is why some people can't have nice things! slay em blizz slay em! 
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    WoW... lol
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    edited November 2016
    SBFord said:
    They have lost every iota of both sympathy and credibility they may have earned in their discussion with Blizzard. I hope Blizzard goes after the "owners" of Nostalrius in every possible legal way.

Looking for the story here... am I missing it?  I see no post from Nostalrius whatsoever.
    https://en.nostalrius.org/

Where is the story coming from?
    Where is the link showing that Nostalrius has actually released the code?

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012

Don't care - Legion is the best WoW has ever been. No need for Vanillia nostalgia, or its rose tinted glasses.

Yea Legion What a Joke. You guys are wearing Rose tinted glasses because the game is the same as every other MMO out there. Made for the casual 15 minute a week gamer. Legion only had its 90 day success and you will watch the game become a ghost town again. Its already happening. My wife's guild which had over 100 people online at peak times in August can only get 12 to 15 people online at peak nights. That is because the game is still click and group up, not driving people into premade social groups. You might think well shit I cannot wait around for a group. Well did you think anyone wants to wait around for a group? If you have social skills you rarely have to, but since you dont need social skills click a button and you win.

The game is a JOKE and only people will continue to not realize the truth and continue to the cycle of insanity. Say WOW IS THE BEST FUCKING GAME EVER, then quit around 3 to 6 months into the expansion, come back at the end of the expansion and start the cycle all over again. I have several friends that do the exact same thing but if CATA, or MOP, or WOD, or Legion was that dam great why do people stay for a few months then quit? That is because its the same pile you been playing for 8 years. You didnt hear of this cycle Pre-WOTLK not because the game was new but because the game had replayability and took time to play.

Honestly I gave up on Vanilla servers back in June when Blizzard shown their hand that they were just pandering to people. Yea I play a little FFXIV, ESO and now MOO. But you know what, my time is going into Fishing come the Spring because its far more enjoyable and engaging than any MMO or game today. That is because they want every 15 minute weekend warriors to feel like they are some special snowflake
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    Thupli said:
    SBFord said:

Looking for the story here... am I missing it?  I see no post from Nostalrius whatsoever.

http://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44550
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • DXSinsDXSins Member UncommonPosts: 324
    I hardly see this as news. There are literally hundreds of private WOW servers and even a ton of 'vanilla' ones.
    Good their are others who notice servers have been running for years and even with this ONE shutdown, there are still lots running right this moment.

So im still wondering why is this one so special? Why do people think this one makes or breaks the chances for legacy servers? lol

Is it because some youtubers (who have the cheek to do WoW official server content and take ad-revenue while complaining about not longer able to play on a p.server lol) and then gaming media followed suit? Someone above said this server been running for 6 years? yet im sure most here, myself included, only even knew it existed because of sites like this reporting on the closure and visit to blizzard, else it would still be hidden away like all the rest before and after it.

Or is it just because its the only one that have gotten any gaming media attention and therefor the only one that exists you many people? I haven't seen so much ranting and raving for lawsuits for the 100s of other servers running over the years.

Forum Lawyers - "sue them out of existence!! bring the law down on them!! ruin the lives of their families!!!"

Blizzard - "Nah well just issue a cease and desist service like we do with the others every so often and because its getting so much public attention, i guess we could invite the guys in for a chat and carry on the public attention longer."
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    MrSyn said:
    Good their are others who notice servers have been running for years and even with this ONE shutdown, there are still lots running right this moment.

So im still wondering why is this one so special? Why do people think this one makes or breaks the chances for legacy servers? lol

Is it because some youtubers (who have the cheek to do WoW official server content and take ad-revenue while complaining about not longer able to play on a p.server lol) and then gaming media followed suit? Someone above said this server been running for 6 years? yet im sure most here, myself included, only even knew it existed because of sites like this reporting on the closure and visit to blizzard, else it would still be hidden away like all the rest before and after it.

Or is it just because its the only one that have gotten any gaming media attention and therefor the only one that exists you many people? I haven't seen so much ranting and raving for lawsuits for the 100s of other servers running over the years.

Forum Lawyers - "sue them out of existence!! bring the law down on them!! ruin the lives of their families!!!"

Blizzard - "Nah well just issue a cease and desist service like we do with the others every so often and because its getting so much public attention, i guess we could invite the guys in for a chat and carry on the public attention longer."
    it wasn't buggy, was up consistently and had a large population and you couldn't pay for advancing a character.  It had started gaining a lot of attention in the year or so before it was shut down.  Not many others private servers were as successful.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    This.....this isn't helping anyone. Way to miss the big picture, Nost. Sigh.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    OhhPaigey said:
    Thupli said:
    SBFord said:

http://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44550
    Thanks for linking the actual information!  They should hire you :D
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Thupli said:

SBFord said:

They have lost every iota of both sympathy and
    credibility they may have earned in their discussion with Blizzard. I
    hope Blizzard goes after the "owners" of Nostalrius in every possible
    legal way.

Well, theres a forums button just under their logo. Check the announcement section there.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Somebody call Mark Kern ... we need another Petition
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Myria said:
    exile01 said:

You dreamer. The thing they coded and are giving for free cannot be sued no matter what because it is their code.
    Assuming they used no Blizz code, which frankly is doubtful, the use of Blizz's IP and assets is more than enough to get them sued into oblivion.
    I thought these servers only ran server side code and the "assets", at least the art and sound were on the user end. . who maybe violates TOS for using it in that way.  They would have had to code in NPC names and quest text though I guess so that does make it a problem.  Just trying to figure this out for myself.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• SyndromofaDownSyndromofaDown Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Are you guys actually talking about the game's (WoW) mechanics and whats changed from Vanilla to Legion or are you talking about how you feel? Weird...
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Very stupid move by the nost team. It was almost guaranteed that Blizzard was going to say something about implementing legacy servers next years since the game is gonna run out of content by mid next year anyway (more of the same stuff with higher ilvls isn't new stuff people...). I bet Blizzard was even gonna hire the dudes too....smh.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Well I think Nos can now be thinked for never getting a Vanilla WoW offical server. Why did they go through all that trouble only to throw it away when they didnt get there way asap.

Blizzard moves very slowly and even they knew that if something like this was going to happen that its going to take years to happen. Its not flip and switch and its running the next day. 

But by doing what they did they I can bet that they destroyed any REAL interested Blizzard had in making an official vanilla server. I would be very suprised if there is not some real repercusions legally coming down there way. Even more so that they know these people as they personally came and visited blizzard. Heck Blizzard sued the crap out of the bot makers and won big on that. 

well I say, if Blizzard had announced that they were working on a Vanilla Server (no time table), that would be enough to satisfy a lot of fans. But them keep pushing back and pushing back, people arent willing to wait forever for something that may never come, especially if it never will be announced period.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    honestly, I dont understand the rage here. can somebody explain what anybody has to be upset about?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• ShelassaShelassa MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 616

Thupli said:

SBFord said:

They have lost every iota of both sympathy and
    credibility they may have earned in their discussion with Blizzard. I
    hope Blizzard goes after the "owners" of Nostalrius in every possible
    legal way.

The newspost has the link under "Nostalrius forum".
    You can also find the announcement itself by heading to said forums through the very link you have posted and picking "Forums" and then heading to "annoucements" sub-section of it.
  • AreWeLiveAreWeLive Member UncommonPosts: 201
    Maybe these guys just had enough of being the heads of the revolt and this is how they can now walk away and move on in life...have kids and get real jobs...
    Sometimes ya wake up and decide maybe a pirates life is not for me anymore....
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited November 2016
    Legion is better than Vanilla.

Difference is that Vanilla was golden in 2004, Legion is barely mediocre in 2016 compared to other MMOs.