Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UPDATED: Nost Team Makes Good On Threat To Release The Server Code - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

ShelassaShelassa MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 616
edited November 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageNost Team Makes Good On Threat To Release The Server Code - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

World of Warcraft News - The Nostalrius team has made good on its threat to release the server code for the "private" server Nostalrius, a Vanilla version of World of Warcraft. Prior to Blizzcon Blizzard announced that Vanilla servers would not be a topic of discussion during the event but that the issue was still not taken off the table for consideration.

UPDATE: In an interview with IGN published after the news of the server code release, Ion Hazzikostas said:

"There's no question it's something we want to do," said Hazzikostas. "I am a 2004 World of Warcraft player myself. Tons of us came to work at Blizzard because we fell in love with that version of World of Warcraft. And we met with the Nostalrius developers on our campus over the summer and were really impressed by the passion they had for the game and what they're trying to do to recreate what they see as a lost experience. Obviously there's always the question of doing it in a Blizzard way, in a way that lives up to Blizzard standards as integrated with our other projects."

Did the Nost team release the code too early? Blizzard had said that Blizzcon would not be the place for any vanilla server announcement. Should it have been given more time before releasing the code?

Read the full story here

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    They have lost every iota of both sympathy and credibility they may have earned in their discussion with Blizzard. I hope Blizzard goes after the "owners" of Nostalrius in every possible legal way.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    Game Over...
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

SBFord said:

They have lost every iota of both sympathy and credibility they may have earned in their discussion with Blizzard. I hope Blizzard goes after the "owners" of Nostalrius in every possible legal way.

Pretty much all that needs to be said.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    This is essentially a petulant toddler throwing a tantrum because Mommy & Daddy didn't give them what they wanted. Pathetic, really. 
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Even their own supporters are turning against them now on their own forums lol
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    edited November 2016

Seems like they are asking, no, BEGGING to be sued into insolvency. Or worse if Blizzard and their Horde (pun intended) of lawyers have their way.

These are not the windmills you are looking for Mr. Quixote.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

UPDATE: In an interview with IGN published after the news of the server code release, Ion Hazzikostas said:

"There's no question it's something we want to do," said Hazzikostas. "I am a 2004 World of Warcraft player myself. Tons of us came to work at Blizzard because we fell in love with that version of World of Warcraft. And we met with the Nostalrius developers on our campus over the summer and were really impressed by the passion they had for the game and what they're trying to do to recreate what they see as a lost experience. Obviously there's always the question of doing it in a Blizzard way, in a way that lives up to Blizzard standards as integrated with our other projects."

Did the Nost team release the code too early? Blizzard had said that Blizzcon would not be the place for any vanilla server announcement. Should it have been given more time before releasing the code?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    LOL.

RIP.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Don't care - Legion is the best WoW has ever been. No need for Vanillia nostalgia, or its rose tinted glasses.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    So basically vanilla is never.
    edited November 2016
    So basically vanilla is never.
    The sad fact of it is that Blizzard never said the further discussion of vanilla servers was off the table and has more than once indicated they were interested in them. Further, they announced, what? 2 weeks ago? That they would NOT be discussing vanilla servers at Blizzcon. Apparently, however, launching an expansion and getting the next series of patches underway isn't as important and the Nost team threw and epic temper tantrum. 

To anyone who said in the news thread about the "no vanilla discussion at Blizzcon" thread that the Nost teams "wasn't threatening to release the code" -- guess what? You were wrong.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    While I admire the passion of private server developers, they usually suck at PR.

Most private projects I know (UO,SWG,WoW) are filled with drama - both internal and external. The teams are often made of coding volunteers, with little experience in leading a project. They end up being extremely protective of their private server, based on intellectual property that doesn't belong to them in the first place.
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    Well I think Nos can now be thinked for never getting a Vanilla WoW offical server. Why did they go through all that trouble only to throw it away when they didnt get there way asap.

Blizzard moves very slowly and even they knew that if something like this was going to happen that its going to take years to happen. Its not flip and switch and its running the next day. 

But by doing what they did they I can bet that they destroyed any REAL interested Blizzard had in making an official vanilla server. I would be very suprised if there is not some real repercusions legally coming down there way. Even more so that they know these people as they personally came and visited blizzard. Heck Blizzard sued the crap out of the bot makers and won big on that. 
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    Don't care - Legion is the best WoW has ever been. No need for Vanillia nostalgia, or its rose tinted glasses.
    Even better than WotLK? Must be really good. Legion is the first expansion I did not buy right when it released. Maybe I should give it a go.
    Legon is by far the best WoW has been in a very very long time. Thats not to say I wouldn't also play on a Official Vanilla server if the option was there Officially.
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    This isn't how you do business.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Wow, talk about cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Do they seriously not understand how inevitably badly they're going to lose this battle? Blizz will have no choice but to land on them like a ton of bricks.

Idiots.
  • DXSinsDXSins Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Lol you people act like this is the only p.server code out there... its just one in the 100s. How is it the fate of legacy servers rested on the shoulders of this one p.server?

"I hope Blizzard goes after the "owners" of Nostalrius in every possible legal way."

Didn't they give up that right when they decided to invite the p.server owns to their company and talk to them instead of pursuing legal action against them when they identified who they were.

How are they responsible for action others may take with the code or any of the 100s of other servers codes running? so long as they are not using it themselves (which im guessing they have no intentions to do since they released the code).
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    edited November 2016
    lets do it! See u all, no matter what u say, you will join. Joke i hate wow.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Is the source code going to be reason to take legal action?  Didn't they code all of that themselves?  I would think running the server with name and other IP things being present but the server code?  Damages I suppose but isn't that like selling lock-picks?

As an aside. . I hope for a Black Friday sale for Legion.  I'll jump back on with that.  So much good feedback.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    exile01 said:

You dreamer. The thing they coded and are giving for free cannot be sued no matter what because it is their code.
    Assuming they used no Blizz code, which frankly is doubtful, the use of Blizz's IP and assets is more than enough to get them sued into oblivion.
    edited November 2016

Myria said:

exile01 said:

You dreamer. The thing they coded and are giving for free cannot be sued no matter what because it is their code.

Assuming they used no Blizz code, which frankly is doubtful, the use of Blizz's IP and assets is more than enough to get them sued into oblivion.

Damn u were to fast, how did you snipe that? I deleted and changed because i didnt want to start a fight about legal issues. As far as i remember, sueing people over a different country is very very difficult. Its pretty difficult to sue somone in a europe country for the same reasons u can do in America. Only in MERICA u can sue somone for the most stupid shet for millions.
    edited November 2016

Deekins said:

Well that is one epic way to fail it all up. If Blizzard was considering it, and I'm sure there were, they definitely aren't now. This was not the way to go about it. I swear the more I hear about these Nost devs the more I think they are a bunch of self-entitled babies.

I hope Blizzard sues them into the ground so far their great grand kids are still paying the debt off. 

Also edit to add: I hope Blizzard sues every single person that takes this code and opens a server. Time to put a stop to this crap. I understand why some private servers exist. SWGEmu is because SWG shut down. But WoW is still going. It may not be how some like it, but it is going and going strong. Personally I love how WoW is now. I don't remember vanilla being as good as some of these people scream it was.

Theyve been working for 6 years for that server. When did you last time invest in something that long and are able to quit like nothing happend the past years?
    edited November 2016
    Dont hate SBFord. Since when did "many" of a minority in a forum get to be the majority?
  • LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    I'm pretty sympathetic towards the opening of official vanillas servers, it's something I'm glad was finally being addressed. This sorta screwed the pooch, though.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Nothing like burning bridges :/