Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you ever seen this level of tyranny in your gaming life?

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Dagon13 said:
    If I ran my own private server, I would do what I want.  Scorchien said:
    Vrika said:
    Scorchien said:
    BarbieBoy said:
    Scorchien said:
    Quizzical said:
    Wait, wait, you're complaining about being banned from an illegal private server?  Shouldn't the fact that you were playing on an illegal private server be enough to justify the ban?
    Its not an illegal server as War is shut sown ,and second these guys have a playable and very fun Warhammer server up and running , and they do it for free, the only time i have seen them get angry is when people act like asshats and idiots towards them , On the forums or in game ..
    It is an illegal server. First, they are using an IP they do not own. Second, they are probably using leaked server codes which is proprietary. Third, they are no doubt using the official client for end-users. Fourth, they no doubt reversed engineered a lot of things. Fifth, we go back to the fact that it is not their IP and got no written permission to do what they're doing. Sixth, again, the fact that it is proprietary, yes, including the assets.

If they want to run their own MMORPG and since they can do it anyway, why not create their own IP, their own assets, develop their own server code, and end-user client? That is "legal" and definitely not a "private server".

No matter where you look at it, be it from a philosophical standpoint or because the official server is long dead, it still is and will always be an illegal server, yes, even if the IP owners are silent about it and turning a blind eye and a deaf ear.

Going back to the OP's topic, regardless if it is a private server or not, if you are not the one running it, then just live with it. Running mmos, be it illegal or legal, consumes time, effort, resources, and real world money. Their resources, their rules, their call.
    Nope.. wrong on counts .. Warhammer is shut down .. Its not illegal , Unless EA decides to reopen War .../end
    Nope.

Copyright protection stays in effect whether you use copyrighted work or not. I think going by USA law, copyright for Warhammer Online is 120 years after publication, which means until end of 2128.

Trademark protection for Warhammer may end if it's not actively used, but as long as Warhammer trademark is still used that's not going to happen.

You may be able to run Warhammer Online server because the copyright and trademark holders do not care, but that's still illegal.
    again , its only illegal if they say so ... Noone else.. They are aware of it , And Dont care and dont say its Illegal , Matter a fact this site doesnt recognize(nor any other site) it as illegal either , Or you would not be able to discuss it openly .... Its not for you or any other forum monkey to claim something you have no ownership to as illegal ......Its like some random guy parking in your neighbors driveway , and you saying Hey thats illegal , But if the neighbor doesnt care or claim it illegal Its not .. Its his driveway afterall
    I don't think that's really how law works...  What you're referencing is an entities choice on pursuing litigation.  The loophole here being that the entity itself may not be in a position to make a choice.  

As you say, just because some forum monkey claims something isn't illegal doesn't make it so.  It's too complicated for laymen like us to know for certain.  It's why we have law degrees and legal departments.
    And again the only Entity at this time in all the known Universe that claim and enforce the illegality of War server is EA , Nobody else can not me , not you ,not Sigmar, not Luke Skywalker , not Mork from Ork, and at this time not Games Workshop, Only EA can make that claim ...After all its there driveway... So until they put up a server or Say its illegal and order a cease and desist...Its not illegal
  • TatsuyaHirokiTatsuyaHiroki Member UncommonPosts: 108
    and what is the point you are trying to make here?

all i see is someone whining that he cannot do screw all on other peoples server

mentin said:
    Vrika said:
    It's not tyranny, it's ownership.

Usually private server admins try to set and follow rules, be fair, and usually you can expect them that much. But they own the server, so it's their rules, and their decisions about how the server will be developed. You can't expect them to give up their rights as the owner just because they're so exceptionally nice guys.

If owner setting rules for what he owns is tyranny, then we're all equally tyrants.

They are not following any rules at all!!! Listen, we can debate hours and hours about legal aspects but thats not the point. The only supreme rule they understand is: Don´t you ever dare to disagree with us or you will be banned. We make no mistakes and you know nothing about the game so stfu. They even delete posts arguing that the content is boring or irrelevant. For whom? For them!!! Call it what you want but is a dictatorship. I never saw such level of censorship un my whole life. The fact that they own the server doesn´t mean it´s not.
    then heres an easy solution: dont play on that private server.

I know that would be too logical when you can just cry about it

• seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419
    edited November 2016
    Ok, so i have taken the time to go and see the original post here is the link : 

https://www.returnofreckoning.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=18196

No where is the post targeted to the OP itself it is targeted for the full community and is a way to let them know that yes there is issue but not to give personal views on how things works without having direct information from devs. 

I am pretty sure there is toxic players there like every other games and the best proof of concept we have is right here with the OP posting only part of the post to make it look like he was targeted by a dev when in reality the post applies to the full community in a way to let people know that none knows how the game works fully except the devs and to not destroy the community by giving false information.

Edit : if you read the remaining post in that tread you will see the devs clearly explains how it works and why with calculation etc. to prevent false information to be spread.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I think Blizzard explained the legality of it fairly well from their end.  If you don't protect your IP and you knowingly let other people use it then you risk not being able to make claims in the future.  I assume that remains the same.  Maybe GW would be the concerned party and they don't care.  

Wait. . didn't Blizzard steal all of their art concepts from GW?  Maybe if GW gets WoW shut down then the Nos server will open again.. . . I'm kidding. . .seriously kidding.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Gorwe said:
    mentin said:
    Vrika said:
    It's not tyranny, it's ownership.

Usually private server admins try to set and follow rules, be fair, and usually you can expect them that much. But they own the server, so it's their rules, and their decisions about how the server will be developed. You can't expect them to give up their rights as the owner just because they're so exceptionally nice guys.

If owner setting rules for what he owns is tyranny, then we're all equally tyrants.

They are not following any rules at all!!! Listen, we can debate hours and hours about legal aspects but thats not the point. The only supreme rule they understand is: Don´t you ever dare to disagree with us or you will be banned. We make no mistakes and you know nothing about the game so stfu. They even delete posts arguing that the content is boring or irrelevant. For whom? For them!!! Call it what you want but is a dictatorship. I never saw such level of censorship un my whole life. The fact that they own the server doesn´t mean it´s not.
    then heres an easy solution: dont play on that private server.

I know that would be too logical when you can just cry about it

Here's another logical thing for you:

Because there is another Warhammer RPG? Oh wait!

This fact is what makes RoR's actions less than acceptable. If there was another Warhammer RPG, people would leave RoR for the greener pastures. But they can't because this is the only pasture. Think of it as of a monopoly over the electricity. If there's a single distributer of el.power, he can do ANYTHING he wants. And you can cry, cry, cry. Because there is no competition, because there is no control over that aspect.

Competition is seldom bad for the average consumer.
    Doesn't really matter it's their server. They can do/act however they want. They don't owe anyone anything.

So the choice is play by their rules or don't.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • mentinmentin Member UncommonPosts: 35
    seafirex said:

No where is the post targeted to the OP itself it is targeted for the full community and is a way to let them know that yes there is issue but not to give personal views on how things works without having direct information from devs. 

I am pretty sure there is toxic players there like every other games and the best proof of concept we have is right here with the OP posting only part of the post to make it look like he was targeted by a dev when in reality the post applies to the full community in a way to let people know that none knows how the game works fully except the devs and to not destroy the community by giving false information.

Edit : if you read the remaining post in that tread you will see the devs clearly explains how it works and why with calculation etc. to prevent false information to be spread.
    READ MY POST seriously read it before posting.

Some people here seems to have 15 or 16 years old according to their answers.

My fault to expect maturity in these forums.

I want to thank all the people that actually READ my post and even those who disagree with me but gave their sincere and MATURE answer.

To the others:

"You won´t be missed" "You are crying" blah blah blah. 

No education, no respect no self- esteem no values.....

It´s impossible to argue with that kind of people, so childish  generation ,my god.

I am off and not reading anymore answers (sorry for people who are being serious) but when there are 3 pages of discussion and the ones that attack you don´t even read your post....

Well like the wise man said:

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience"

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Scorchien said:

And again the only Entity at this time in all the known Universe that claim and enforce the illegality of War server is EA , Nobody else can not me , not you ,not Sigmar, not Luke Skywalker , not Mork from Ork, and at this time not Games Workshop, Only EA can make that claim ...After all its there driveway... So until they put up a server or Say its illegal and order a cease and desist...Its not illegal
    I don't know who the involved entities, but that's irrelevant anyway.

You don't seem to understand.  EA wanting to pursue litigation is not what makes it illegal.  Stealing assets is what makes it illegal.  EA wanting litigation is simply the act of reporting and punishing illegal activity.

If someone steals something from your home, that's illegal activity.  If you find out and press charges, that's enforcing the law.  These are two, very different things.  What you're trying to say is, if you steal and don't get caught, it's not a crime.

People get by with it because EA is either unaware or because they are aware and give implicit consent to their assets by doing nothing about it.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    mentin said:

It´s impossible to argue with that kind of people, so childish  generation ,my god.

No one here sounds more immature than you do.
    Harbinger of Fools
    edited November 2016
    Dagon13 said:
    Scorchien said:

You don't seem to understand.  EA wanting to pursue litigation is not what makes it illegal.  Stealing assets is what makes it illegal.  EA wanting litigation is simply the act of reporting and punishing illegal activity.

If someone steals something from your home, that's illegal activity.  If you find out and press charges, that's enforcing the law.  These are two, very different things.  What you're trying to say is, if you steal and don't get caught, it's not a crime.

People get by with it because EA is either unaware or because they are aware and give implicit consent to their assets by doing nothing about it.
    No you dont seem to understand , EA is perfectly aware , they dont care , Its not stealing they are right out in the open with it .. your analogy blows .....

Let me help you , You have an old bike at your house , you rode it alot , you realize its pretty fucked up and you throw it out , some guy comes along and takes your trash .. and you dont care,.... maybe he can get some fun out of it  .. you chuckle about it .. Is it stealing ... No

EA doesnt care .... They are perfectly aware of the War server and DONT CARE .... Now maybe if one day they reopen a server they may care .. But right now they DONT GIVE A FUCK .. They have no active servers and its not stealing unless they report it ...

And to add , Im 100% certain if and when EA decided that they wanted to open WAr again , one of the first orders of Business would be sending a Cease and Desist to the War-Emu , Then if they contiue to run the server it would be stealing .. Until then ....NO
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    OP, threaten them with releasing their code, maybe it works for you :awesome:

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Scorchien said:
    Dagon13 said:
    Scorchien said:

No you dont seem to understand , EA is perfectly aware , they dont care , Its not stealing they are right out in the open with it .. your analogy blows .....

Let me help you , You have an old bike at your house , you rode it alot , you realize its pretty fucked up and you throw it out , some guy comes along and takes your trash .. and you dont care,.... maybe he can get some fun out of it  .. you chuckle about it .. Is it stealing ... No

EA doesnt care .... They are perfectly aware of the War server and DONT CARE .... Now maybe if one day they reopen a server they may care .. But right now they DONT GIVE A FUCK .. They have no active servers and its not stealing unless they report it ...

And to add , Im 100% certain if and when EA decided that they wanted to open WAr again , one of the first orders of Business would be sending a Cease and Desist to the War-Emu , Then if they contiue to run the server it would be stealing .. Until then ....NO
    You say that EA knows about the server but does not care.   Therefore it is not illegal.

Do the people running the server have something in writing from EA that says " You have our permission to use our IP for your own personal use" ?  

If not, then the speeding analogy applies.  You cannot say something that is obviously illegal is legal, just because no one does anything about it.    

And just because you say it is so on a forum, does not make it legal either.    

You sound a lot like Axehilt, when he goes off on one of his tirades.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

mentin said:
    seafirex said:

READ MY POST seriously read it before posting.

I want to thank all the people that actually READ my post and even those who disagree with me but gave their sincere and MATURE answer.

To the others:

"You won´t be missed" "You are crying" blah blah blah. 

No education, no respect no self- esteem no values.....

I am off and not reading anymore answers (sorry for people who are being serious) but when there are 3 pages of discussion and the ones that attack you don´t even read your post....

Well like the wise man said:

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience"

and you talk about maturity?

hypocrisy, my name is mentin

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Pretty overboard such a drama queen.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I agree this has to be the most tyrannical, saddistical, satanical, perpetual, uneducated, illogical, unresonable, hallucination these forums have witnessed in the past 5 years.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    Scorchien said:
    Dagon13 said:
    Scorchien said:

You say that EA knows about the server but does not care.   Therefore it is not illegal.

Do the people running the server have something in writing from EA that says " You have our permission to use our IP for your own personal use" ?  

If not, then the speeding analogy applies.  You cannot say something that is obviously illegal is legal, just because no one does anything about it.    

LOL speeding analogy works ... wtf is wrong with people ,I understand you are working with everything god gave you but try harder ..... When/if you are speeding you are actually endangering innocent peoples lives .. You do understand the difference , i would  hope so  or do you need it explained .. One you are playing a game , the other you may kill someone ...

Hope this helps ....This has been a public service announcement
  • Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566

It's a lost cause.  You could toss this person a law book and they'd just sling mud in response.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited November 2016
    Title of Clickbait +4 awarded to Mentin

Cursed Tyranny Amulet  of Snorefest -10, soul bound and un-removeable awarded to Mentin. When worn in combination with the Clickbait title this amulet causes all nearby allies to fall asleep.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    Scorchien said:
    Dagon13 said:
    Vrika said:
    Scorchien said:
    BarbieBoy said:
    Scorchien said:
    Quizzical said:
    Wait, wait, you're complaining about being banned from an illegal private server?  Shouldn't the fact that you were playing on an illegal private server be enough to justify the ban?
    Its not an illegal server as War is shut sown ,and second these guys have a playable and very fun Warhammer server up and running , and they do it for free, the only time i have seen them get angry is when people act like asshats and idiots towards them , On the forums or in game ..
    It is an illegal server. First, they are using an IP they do not own. Second, they are probably using leaked server codes which is proprietary. Third, they are no doubt using the official client for end-users. Fourth, they no doubt reversed engineered a lot of things. Fifth, we go back to the fact that it is not their IP and got no written permission to do what they're doing. Sixth, again, the fact that it is proprietary, yes, including the assets.

If they want to run their own MMORPG and since they can do it anyway, why not create their own IP, their own assets, develop their own server code, and end-user client? That is "legal" and definitely not a "private server".

No matter where you look at it, be it from a philosophical standpoint or because the official server is long dead, it still is and will always be an illegal server, yes, even if the IP owners are silent about it and turning a blind eye and a deaf ear.

Going back to the OP's topic, regardless if it is a private server or not, if you are not the one running it, then just live with it. Running mmos, be it illegal or legal, consumes time, effort, resources, and real world money. Their resources, their rules, their call.
    Nope.. wrong on counts .. Warhammer is shut down .. Its not illegal , Unless EA decides to reopen War .../end
    Nope.

Copyright protection stays in effect whether you use copyrighted work or not. I think going by USA law, copyright for Warhammer Online is 120 years after publication, which means until end of 2128.

Trademark protection for Warhammer may end if it's not actively used, but as long as Warhammer trademark is still used that's not going to happen.

You may be able to run Warhammer Online server because the copyright and trademark holders do not care, but that's still illegal.
    again , its only illegal if they say so ... Noone else.. They are aware of it , And Dont care and dont say its Illegal , Matter a fact this site doesnt recognize(nor any other site) it as illegal either , Or you would not be able to discuss it openly .... Its not for you or any other forum monkey to claim something you have no ownership to as illegal ......Its like some random guy parking in your neighbors driveway , and you saying Hey thats illegal , But if the neighbor doesnt care or claim it illegal Its not .. Its his driveway afterall
    I don't think that's really how law works...  What you're referencing is an entities choice on pursuing litigation.  The loophole here being that the entity itself may not be in a position to make a choice.  

As you say, just because some forum monkey claims something isn't illegal doesn't make it so.  It's too complicated for laymen like us to know for certain.  It's why we have law degrees and legal departments.
    You are simply wrong.

The law defines what is legal and what is not.

EA only determines what their response to potentially illegal servers will be.

That EA may choose not to take action against an illegal server does not make it a legal one. It remains an illegal server that EA chose not to take action against for whatever reason.

If EA does choose to act they can only request what they see as an illegal server to close. If those operating the server don't comply the matter will ultimately go to court.

It is the courts that decide if the server is in fact illegal under the law, and that have the power to force the closure of the server if they feel it to be so.
  • CodeBluCodeBlu Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Scorchien said:
    Quizzical said:
    Wait a sec. let me process this one. First you are saying that this is not an illegal server because Warhammer has been closed down. I think it does not work that way. For example if you write a book and published it and then few years later you died. Then is it ok if someone published it again without the consent of the original author or publisher(since the author is dead). The only way to make it legit is for you to secure a permission to publish that game title from the developer. Being nice does not give them a license to publish the game.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Scorchien said:
    Dagon13 said:
    Vrika said:
    Scorchien said:
    BarbieBoy said:
    Scorchien said:
    Quizzical said:

Nope.

You are simply wrong.

The law defines what is legal and what is not.

EA only determines what their response to potentially illegal servers will be.

That EA may choose not to take action against an illegal server does not make it a legal one. It remains an illegal server that EA chose not to take action against for whatever reason.

If EA does choose to act they can only request what they see as an illegal server to close. If those operating the server don't comply the matter will ultimately go to court.

It is the courts that decide if the server is in fact illegal under the law, and that have the power to force the closure of the server if they feel it to be so.
    The whole point is that EA has to choose to act, and if they don't, nobody else can.

It all boils down to whether or not EA feels that protecting that particular IP is worth it, they may even allow the private server to exist as a measure to gauge interest in that or similar games. 
    Warhammer is a discontinued game after all, chances are they have marginal interest at best in the activities of maybe a few thousand players, after all, EA has enough negative PR without worsening it for no good reason, and certainly there is no financial gain to doing so, its not the first game that EA has shut down to have gained its own private servers after all, Earth and Beyond being another example, which ran for years under the radar, possibly still does, personally i'd be more interested in seeing one for City of Heroes, but, no such luck there the 'Evil Empire' of EA has nothing on NCSoft :p
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    CodeBlu said:
    Scorchien said:
    Quizzical said:
    Wait a sec. let me process this one. First you are saying that this is not an illegal server because Warhammer has been closed down. I think it does not work that way. For example if you write a book and published it and then few years later you died. Then is it ok if someone published it again without the consent of the original author or publisher(since the author is dead). The only way to make it legit is for you to secure a permission to publish that game title from the developer. Being nice does not give them a license to publish the game.
    Books and music have their own laws. I think in my country the copyright will be transfered to the descendants and after 100 years the book/song will be declared a classic and is then free for all.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • 420MeganTheSavage69420MeganTheSavage69 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    @Vrika Hey, im new and have no clue how to use this site yet lol.
  • wifeaggro28wifeaggro28 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Gorwe said:
    tawess said:
    Compared to several private forums i have been on... That was a fart in space.. 

That is the glorious thing with free will... People can choose to be tyrants if they like to. You can in turn either fall in line or walk away (to post a thread on a different forum where you think you are or feel safer) 
    There should always be some rules, rules which apply to everyone equally. Fair and just rules. They also need to be visible, not some common sense nonsense. Because in such conditions, the scum of the world thrives. But that is a topic for another time and place eh?
    The world isn't fair, cupcake.
  • wifeaggro28wifeaggro28 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    mentin said:
    Well, this happens when people don´t even bother READING a post.

Who said nothing about being banned? I am not or was banned in Return of the reckoning (btw it´s not illegal server) Not even warned.

It was posted as NEWS addresed to ALL players. You can check it if you wish. 

A know it´s a private server but still the degree of ******* has epic proportions.

I wanted to show you the ways those devs are mistreating people.

Btw

Full Definition of synonym

1. 1:  one of two or more words or expressions of the same language that have the same or nearly the same meaning in some or all senses

2. 2a :  a word or phrase that by association is held to embody something (as a concept or quality) <a tyrant whose name has become a synonym for oppression>b :  metonym

3. 3:  one of two or more scientific names used to designate the same taxonomic group — compare homonym

Full Definition of tyranny

plural 

tyrannies

1. 1:  oppressive power <every form of tyranny over the mind of man — Thomas Jefferson>; especially :  oppressive power exerted by government <the tyranny of a police state>

2. 2a :  a government in which absolute power is vested in a single ruler; especially :  one characteristic of an ancient Greek city-stateb :  the office, authority, and administration of a tyrant

3. 3:  a rigorous condition imposed by some outside agency or force <living under the tyrannyof the clock — Dixon Wecter>

4. 4:  an oppressive, harsh, or unjust act :  a tyrannical act <workers who had suffered tyrannies>

From webster dictionary.

Excuse my poor english.
    It just sounds like you need to stop whining.