Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Paladins like Overwatch?

Comments

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    I am curious to find out which came first- Fernando or Reinhardt.  They are both iconic characters for each game and they are both basically the same character.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    edited September 2016
    filmoret said:
    Hatefull said:
    filmoret said:
    Hatefull said:
    paladins was in beta before overwatch came out, so im not sure who have copy who actualy.

got both overwatch and paladin and honestly they are pretty much the same lol... and paladin free.
    when i got in the mood for these type of games often im loging more into paladin that overwatch now.

overwatch you kinda die way to fast, in paladin you fight alot more before die because you got more hp, so for me that kinda more fun.

added info about both games releases :  It was released in May 2016 for overwatch and for paladins : Closed beta phase began on November 17, 2015

they annonced the games before overwatch too

blizzard are the one who copy everyone guys :) dont forget it
    The only part of your post I would like to refute is the last sentence. Blizz does not copy, they look around, see what people like, and then put that in a nice easily accessible package. Business genius actually, and obviously it works.

As far as the original topic, yeah lol wtf HiRez, go buy an idea somewhere. Fix Tribes, or something.

I love how people point at Hirez for copying stuff from Overwatch and completely ignore how much Blizzard copied from TF2.  The way Hirez is making TF2 skins for their game makes me think they are actually working together for the same company or something like that.  Meanwhile Blizzard copied a bunch of stuff and never got permission and never gave Valve any money for it.  The funny thing I actually watched the video and everything he was crying about that was copied is actually in TF2.
    OK, well then all shooter games are copies of other shooters and they should all pay each other for using their 'unique' ideas.

I love how people compartmentalize their passive aggressive BS. TF was not the first shooter game with multiple game modes. They stole the idea from HALO, or BF, or any of the other games that were out well before TF or valve was even a thing.

If you want to like how people point the finger, then you should look in the mirror because you seem to only want to speak to one side of the story. Where does it end? Spoiler; It doesn't.

Taking good ideas and using them to make a better game, is no new thing and it should not be frowned upon, what I was saying in my other post is: Palidens wasn't just taking ideas and systems, it is almost an exact copy of OW and it only became that way after OW released. As someone earlier pointed out, it was going a different direction in Alpha/Beta then all of a sudden took a really hard to turn.  Weird huh.

There is a difference between using a good idea and exactly copying another game.

On a different note, I love tribes, it is an awesome game and was a Hirez mostly original idea. (shooters being the not unique part) I wish they would stop ignoring it and do some hard work on that IP and get it back to what it once was.
    Dude I am responding to the OP who is pointing the finger at Paladins incorrectly.  Then you started defending the OP by pointing the finger at Paladins yourself without even knowing.  That Overwatch is the one who copied stuff from Paladins and not the other way around.  Then you tried to say Blizzard was defending modders when in fact it is Valve who hired the modder to make DOTA2 and Blizzard who tried to stop them and claim the name for themselves without paying for it.  Get educated bro.
    [mod edit] I refuted the fact that OW copied Palidens and I stand behind that. I played the early beta of palidens and it was completely different than it is now.

I also refute the fact that you stated Blizz copied TF, they didn't they took good ideas, which is exactly what valve did btw when they made TF2, and made a game out of them, the same as dev studios have been doing since this hobby started. You want to attack MUDs next? they are all text based obviously they are stealing ideas from one another. Your argument is beyond stupid.  

Further more, I point the finger at HRez simply because its MY OPINION that they should stop trying to compete with the norm and do what they do well and that is the tribes IP, which even though they have all but shelved it for the past couple years still has a decent following. Recently they have been giving Tribes the attention it, in my opinion, deserves but still more could be done.
    Post edited by Vaross on

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I am curious to find out which came first- Fernando or Reinhardt.  They are both iconic characters for each game and they are both basically the same character.
    I played fernando a few games and IDK what reinhardt is like but they do both have a huge shield.  Fernando shoots a flamethrower and does some charge move to get out of the way.  His ultimate is like a bull charge that stops on player collision and does damage it appears.  He also throws a fireball.  Yea they are very very similiar for sure.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    filmoret said:
    I played fernando a few games and IDK what reinhardt is like but they do both have a huge shield.  Fernando shoots a flamethrower and does some charge move to get out of the way.  His ultimate is like a bull charge that stops on player collision and does damage it appears.  He also throws a fireball.  Yea they are very very similiar for sure.
    Both are fundamentally about a huge blue energy shield.  They both have a charge.

You think everything from Overwatch is taken from TF2 but you can't see any similarity between these two characters?
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    For clarification, Fernando was one of the two original Paladin's characters (alongside the elf archer Cassie). He was part of the game by 2012 in internal development.

Dunno what the timing for Reinhardt was.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

filmoret said:
    Both are fundamentally about a huge blue energy shield.  They both have a charge.

You think everything from Overwatch is taken from TF2 but you can't see any similarity between these two characters?
    I was being serious.  They are very much alike and it is pretty obvious.
    I found this and well its kinda look for yourself.

Here are some class examples from Global Agenda (2010) that are similar to Overwatch

Here is some pre-alpha test footage for 2012 Aurum (Paladins predecessor):

https://www.reddit.com/r/Paladins/comments/53qusf/a_brief_history_of_paladins_as_response_to/
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Paladins is a poor mans OW is all.
    Soki123 said:
    I am a poor man but it's still worth paying $40 to play Overwatch instead of Paladins.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Soki123 said:
    I am a poor man but it's still worth paying $40 to play Overwatch instead of Paladins.

Agreed.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited November 2016
    This entire thread could've been entitled "Lemme tell you how much of an OW fan I am by hating on another hero shooter in development for 3 pages."

Not to be a smartass..  But this is fanboyism to the point of trolling.  Holden, you really need to step back and reread your posts in this thread and others.  You've lost perspective.  I get you enjoy Overwatch, and it's cool to come here and share that.  But deriding other games in development and even the game Blizzard pulled, in some areas without even making the effort to change the name of the mechanic, the entire feel and system of Overwatch from.....  It just makes you hard to take seriously.

edited November 2016
    This entire thread could've been entitled "Lemme tell you how much of an OW fan I am by hating on another hero shooter in development for 3 pages."

Not to be a smartass..  But this is fanboyism to the point of trolling.  Holden, you really need to step back and reread your posts in this thread and others.  You've lost perspective.  I get you enjoy Overwatch, and it's cool to come here and share that.  But deriding other games in development and even the game Blizzard pulled, in some areas without even making the effort to change the name of the mechanic, the entire feel and system of Overwatch from.....  It just makes you hard to take seriously.
    Ah so another guy that thinks Overwatch is a tf2 clone and there's nothing wrong with Paladins ripping off entire heroes from Overwatch.  Noted.

You guys know that the tf2 clone debate was settled about a year ago?

Also Paladins isn't really in development.  The game is not going to change much, just like SMITE didn't change much from open beta to release.  There's still going to be a complete Roadhog ripoff when the game is released, for example.

I thought we already established that Paladin's was first.
    edited November 2016
    filmoret said:
    No.  According to you guys Paladins isn't even out yet.

I am surprised that HiRezTodd didn't mention SMITE Ymir's ice wall being literally exactly the same as Mei's wall when he was talking about Overwatch elements that existed before.

I mean, it's literally the same thing.  It's even ice.  Maybe he didn't want to bring it up since Paladins now has an character that can ice-block like Mei can.
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Overwatch IS Paladins
    filmoret said:

Why you gotta act like this?  Take all common sense and discard it to prove a point that doesn't even exist.  Good work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited November 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited November 2016
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:

Why you gotta act like this?  Take all common sense and discard it to prove a point that doesn't even exist.  Good work.
    Hmm?  MadFrenchie was hating on me for "deriding a game in development".  You have mentioned multiple times how Paladins isn't officially released yet (although seriously, it basically is- the cash shop is functional and the game is not going to change much).

Then you say that Paladins was first.  How can it be first if it's not even out yet?

You can argue about who came up with what idea first, but it's clear to me that Paladins ripped off Overwatch.  You can say that Overwatch ripped off Global Agenda, and the pharah comparison from your links is pretty convincing of that in that one instance, but I don't see how you can possibly say that Overwatch ripped off Paladins.
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:

Hmm?  MadFrenchie was hating on me for "deriding a game in development".  You have mentioned multiple times how Paladins isn't officially released yet (although seriously, it basically is- the cash shop is functional and the game is not going to change much).

Then you say that Paladins was first.  How can it be first if it's not even out yet?

You can argue about who came up with what idea first, but it's clear to me that Paladins ripped off Overwatch.  You can say that Overwatch ripped off Global Agenda, and the pharah comparison from your links is pretty convincing of that in that one instance, but I don't see how you can possibly say that Overwatch ripped off Paladins.
    Global Agenda belongs to the developers of Paladins.  So they have every right to copy whatever they want from their own games.  Just because a game isn't fully released doesn't mean they didn't come up with the ideas first.  Which we have proven already that Paladin's had these ideas in alpha/beta long before Overwatch was even an idea.
    edited November 2016

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited November 2016
    I honestly do not see why it matters one way or the other. Both games have their fans and the genre is not a unique one. There is plenty of room for both games and even more. I would love to see a TF3 (though Valve can't count to three) I would love to play a darker and grittier themed hero shooter. I would like to see the hero shooter genre include more themes. Like Western or Espionage. There is room for both games and many more.
    This is true but it's fun to argue about stuff.

Also, in the case of Paladins and Overwatch, they are such extreme similarities and the games are releasing so close to eachother that it's definitely worth remarking on.
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:

Global Agenda belongs to the developers of Paladins.  So they have every right to copy whatever they want from their own games.  Just because a game isn't fully released doesn't mean they didn't come up with the ideas first.  Which we have proven already that Paladin's had these ideas in alpha/beta long before Overwatch was even an idea.
    That's true, they are free to copy the pharah thing from Global Agenda, but what about Roadhog?  A big guy with a 4-shot gun that can hook and pull people to one shot them?  That wasn't in Global Agenda.

And no, I think we're still fuzzy on what ideas each game had at what point in their development.  We have some idea where Paladins development started, based only on the words of HiRez, but Blizzard has been pretty tight-lipped about when exactly development of Overwatch started.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Exactly the same.  One is good (overwatch) the other is the poor man's version (Paladins)

There arte a ton of other games that look similar that aren't because of massive mechanic differences like Gigantic, or Paragon, but yeah this is straight up ghetto overwatch.
    edited November 2016

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    The game is a straight up OW clone.  I'm not even sure how this is a debate.

The game was actually differentiated to an acceptable extent, before, but they have done revamp after revamp with the sole purpose of making this game as close to OW as possible.
    holdenhamlet