Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3 - A Big 2017 for the Necromancer and More - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageDiablo 3 - A Big 2017 for the Necromancer and More - MMORPG.com

Diablo 3’s about to have a pretty big 2017 with the Diablo: Darkening of Tristram event going live in January, the Necromancer Character Pack later in 2017, and tons of new features being added as well. We caught up with Blizzard’s Wyatt Cheng and Rob Foote to discuss all the new stuff coming to D3 and the future of Diablo as a franchise.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Veexer_NuiVeexer_Nui Member UncommonPosts: 268
    Basically nothing. An anniversary event you can do once a year (but not this 20th year LUL) A new hero that will cost $30-40 and not be available until the end of 2017....

Archeage EU - Nui

• ZardayneZardayne Member UncommonPosts: 66
    No Druid..No Diablo 3 for me..

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    yawn.
  • PiscorePiscore Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Paymancer ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

l2p

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Wow, this was a letdown.. So far this has been the most boring Blizzcon ever IMO......
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

DMKano said:

Diablo 3s about to hav a pretty big 2017:

- Single class addition

- New 16 level dungeon with 4 D1 bosses

Umm that seems pretty minimalistic to me

To call it "a big year" - Id expect at least a proper expansion, I mean other games add classes and new dungeons all the time, nobody has called that big yet.

/shrug

Compared to last year maybe? ;)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    Necromancer class is a great addition. One I was very looking forward to ever since it was datamined..however locked behind a paywall? Wtf? I mean I know blizzard is greedy as fuck, however this takes it on a whole new level.

I'm really disappointed as diablo 3 is the only blizzard game that I consider to be above average. They really dropped the ball hard on this one, I expected a FULL expansion at minimum.
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    I'm so happy that I couldn't care less about D3 anymore, cause if I did... I'd be really disappointed with this... Overall basically nothing new in d3, at least nothing worthwhile.

If they had just made a visual update on d2, so that it looks better I would have been happier.

Overall D3 remains out of my "games to play" list. I'm more exited for MU Legend than this which is sad for D3.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I'm guessing that on Overwatch you can also buy heroes, similar to LoL and HotS?

So Blizzard pretty much figured... "Hey, if it works on those games, let's use that approach EVERYWHERE in the future! All teh monies!" \o/

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    I'm guessing that on Overwatch you can also buy heroes, similar to LoL and HotS?

So Blizzard pretty much figured... "Hey, if it works on those games, let's use that approach EVERYWHERE in the future! All teh monies!" \o/

pretty sure all heroes in Overwatch are free.  Just costumes cost.
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

DMKano said:

Diablo 3s about to hav a pretty big 2017:

- Single class addition

- New 16 level dungeon with 4 D1 bosses

Umm that seems pretty minimalistic to me

To call it "a big year" - Id expect at least a proper expansion, I mean other games add classes and new dungeons all the time, nobody has called that big yet.

/shrug

Well, they are adding two new zones for adventure mode on top of D1 being remade into D3 and the Necromancer. Considering the staffing problems they've had, it is a fair amount of content being added.

Horusra said:

pretty sure all heroes in Overwatch are free.  Just costumes cost.

Costumes don't even cost. You can buy loot boxes, those boxes have a chance at dropping skins/sprays/emotes/voice lines/intros/victory poses/profile portraits/coins. However, it's 100% random, so you're basically paying to gamble on getting duplicates or a bunch of stuff you don't care about. You also get a loot box per level. Play enough and you will eventually have whatever you want the most.

Nyctelios said:

I got really depressed with that. With all the teasing and tweets like "If you are a Diablo fan you can't miss the Blizzcon opening this year!" I was expecting something.

So... they modeled and animated 2 characters which will be sold....

The "Old school filter" I actually think it is a cool idea, but is not a big thing at all and the D1 remake is not that impressive also.

So.... Yeah. 

But, what nobody seems to be talking about, there is a leaking going around certain voice actors and Concept Artists being hired for a diablo project

So, something is on the way, maybe something worth the "big news" title... because this certainly doesn't.

I would imagine all of the hirings are for the next D3 expansion. Considering during the D3 portion of the opening ceremony, it was stated that they will be supporting the game for a good long while. That doesn't sound very good for a potential D4. Depending on their process, we could potentially hear something next year at Blizzcon. Could be the rumored D2 HD remake as well, but I have my doubts. D2 HD would compete with D3, unless they basically rebuilt D2 into the D3 engine which required owning D3.

Actually, if they rebuilt D2 into D3, added the Druid and added it all to adventure mode for seasons, you would have one hell of an ARPG on your hands.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Waiting for the reveal was like anticipating my mom's famous chocolate birthday cake. It's my birthday... I'm sitting in my special chair and am waiting for my parents walk out holding my candle-lit bliss. However, instead of my mom walking out with my chocolate dream, dad stomps out holding a giant c0ckmeat sandwich...

Why couldn't it just be a D2 remake or Diablo 4 ;/ Diablo 3 is so uninspiring.

DMKano said:

snip

D1 is not being remade into D3 - it's a 16 levels from D1 dungeon style with 4 bosses from D1. They'll turn down the graphics and limit movement to 8 directions to make it more D1 feel. That's all. AFAIK the city of Tristram won't be a part of this yearly event

They didn't take the entire D1 and port it into D3 - that's not happening.

Also it's timed - only available for the month of January, and then it will go away and come back every january.

So for 1 month of 2017 you'll have this - then you'll have to wait until Necro is out (which could be in Dec of 2017 for all we know).

What about the rest of the months...

Seems very slim pickins to me
    Yeah D1 isn't technically being remade into D3, but outside of Tristram, there wasn't much else to D1 outside of the dungeon and 4 original bosses. The fact that it's limited is somewhat disappointing, but the event would lose value if available all of the time.

Necro is second half of 2017. I'd wager they'd release near Gamescom or Blizzcon, either way we're months away from that.

Depending on the size of the new zones, they may add a lot or a little additional gameplay.

Seasons are becoming available on consoles, which I'm sure is taking dev time away from PC.

Challenge Rifts are being added. Which isn't a ton, but another edition. They are also adding some QoL additions with Equipment/Build manager and Crafting Mat Interface as well as removing gold cost for removing gems.

I'll agree it's not a ton, and definitely not the "Diablo Fans Shitting Their Pants" comment from last year's Blizzcon. However, considering the flux in the dev team, they are probably doing what they can while the new project is in the early stages.

What we be interesting to see what all comes in the Necro Class Pack, and if this is how they wind up delivering content in the future. 
  • KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    Very disappointing, I like me some Diablo 3 and from time to time I go all in with it for a few weeks before moving on. I was really hoping for an expansion or a sequel with a return to 8 man dungeon crawls, bosses that felt more like bosses and not just binary gear checks and new systems.

I will probably give Necro a try it might bring a bit of life back to the game for me, but since the season after they introduced the Cube, it has just felt like Blizz has run out of ideas for Diablo 3, or reached a point where they feel expanding it is overly complicated.

Its a shame, ROS really made it into a very good game, but it seems to be getting the WOD treatment of being left to just limp along until there is a team free to work on something meaningful.
  • RadooRadoo Member UncommonPosts: 298
    I was seriously laughing last night as I was checking out the videos for this bit of news, regarding the addition of the NECROMANCER. (enter dark and grave sounds here)
    -----Just how sparkly and out of theme are their animations? Like WTF rofl?!
    Today's Blizzard has become such a joke. How can they be so terrible even when rehashing content?
    Just laughable.
  • TyserieTyserie Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Whole D3 is just joke. Is just like some Facebook game made to fast money. You play it because it has Diablo in name till you realize is complete garbage. Its like Hamster Wheel to fool us all.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    I like D3 so whatever there are some who do, I wanted to like D2 but I didn't try it til last year, and can't get into it

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited November 2016
    I would pay $60 for a Diablo 2 expansion pack. But I won't pay a dime in D3 anymore.
  • RadooRadoo Member UncommonPosts: 298
    edited November 2016

DMKano said:

Radoo said:

I was seriously laughing last night as I was checking out the videos for this bit of news, regarding the addition of the NECROMANCER. (enter dark and grave sounds here)

Today's Blizzard has become such a joke. How can they be so terrible even when rehashing content?

Just laughable.

Not sure if you ve noticed how much lighter D3 is in comparison to D1 for example.

Blizzard used to make darker themed games, but when you focus on mass appeal you have to lighten things up and make it more PG.

When D3 first came out it was apparent that Diablo got WoWified and made brighter and more accessible.

Dude! Come on...wake up!
    This is not about the D3 engine color and overall graphics spectrum. People are over that by now,; it's been what, 4 years since its release? People have moved on. The point here is to create in the today content releases something that is screaming FAILURE!. Portraying Necromancers with such vivid and sparkly effects is ridiculous. That has nothing to do with the D3 engine and its graphics. It's about choosing the wrong particles, tones and amount of lighting and not introducing other thematic necromancer elements through sound at least. There are so many other ways they could have portrayed Necromancers properly, even with this kind of engine.
    That is what makes it risible!
    Their choices are terrible, which confirms how bad this company has become, even at rehashing their own material.
    LMAO!
  • VladricVladric Member UncommonPosts: 9
    @Torval True that let it just be D3. 
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Torval said:
    It's been so long since I've played D1 that I barely remember the color scheme or particle effects of the necro. I would rather have the necro, and the D1-lite event, look and feel like D3 than D1.
    D1 didn't have a necro. It had a Rogue, Warrior and a Wizard. :chuffed:

It's D2 you're thinking of. The games were very similar when it came to atmosphere though.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    DMKano said:

Radoo said:

DMKano said:

Radoo said:

Just laughable.

Not sure if you ve noticed how much lighter D3 is in comparison to D1 for example.

Blizzard used to make darker themed games, but when you focus on mass appeal you have to lighten things up and make it more PG.

When D3 first came out it was apparent that Diablo got WoWified and made brighter and more accessible.

Dude! Come on...wake up!

This is not about the D3 engine color and overall graphics spectrum. People are over that by now,; it's been what, 4 years since its release? People have moved on. The point here is to create in the today content releases something that is screaming FAILURE!. Portraying Necromancers with such vivid and sparkly effects is ridiculous. That has nothing to do with the D3 engine and its graphics. It's about choosing the wrong particles, tones and amount of lighting and not introducing other thematic necromancer elements through sound at least. There are so many other ways they could have portrayed Necromancers properly, even with this kind of engine.

That is what makes it risible!

Their choices are terrible, which confirms how bad this company has become, even at rehashing their own material.

LMAO!

Because they want to appeal to global market - so it's basically a G rated necromancer.

It's about $$$ - making something that has mass appeal makes the most money.

Crying because of an skill animation which .. most of the time you will kinda not pay attention anymore to it , it's pathetic. 

Plus, the "darker themed" games , you mean Diablo 2 specifically , right? Well , in RoS it has some pretty dark themed zones. Oh yes, you don't know that since you don't play the game and yet, commenting about it.

..and btw! D3 is rated M last time I check , and that includes Necromancer too. So there goes your conspiracy theory .

MATURE

Content is generally suitable for ages 17 and up. May contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language.

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Release the necro after the event? Wtf.

I'm not even going to reinstall the game.

So Blizzcon was overall a massive flop, or what?

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".