Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most fun class ever... in any MMORPG, cast your votes..

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Dullahan said:
    Disciple from Vanguard Saga of Heroes. Easily my favorite. They took the martial arts from the monk class and gave it healing power. You could both directly heal using spells, or using combat arts. Part of what made it so fun was the Vanguard chain attack system. By attacking a mob with specific disciplines, you were able to heal and buff your party while actively participating in combat. This was the first time in an MMO I found healing especially fun.
      I had a Disciple in Vanguard also , really great class , but then again , all the classes in Vanguard were really well done ................Dam you Daybreak
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    DMKano said:
    Whipper - Scarlet Blade

(yes I am joking)
    Was there really a whipper class? How do you know? :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KryptyKrypty Member UncommonPosts: 454
    Tough call - probably GW2 Mesmer. Particularly portal bombing in WvW.
  • MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    WoW Druid: Shapeshifting, and the way each form changes gameplay, is such a kick.

Disciple of Kain: Though I mostly played my Zealot, DoK had some of the funnest healing mechanics around.

GW1 Necromancer: Yeah, not an MMO, strictly speaking, but close enough. Necros were a blast in GW1, especially early on when you could have a whole freakin' (and freaky) army going if you played things right.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Ragnarok Online: Rogue. Very atypical rogue with Graffitti and superior discount skill. Imagine the horror of a Merchant when he sees a rogue make a chat next to him, Red Pots 37z.
  • ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    SWG - Bio-Engineer/xxxx
    SWToR - Trooper, it hurts picking a Rebel class
    Anarchy Online - Engineer, but loved so many classes on AO, wish another game like it would come out
    DaoC - Savage
    Warhammer - Black Orc
    Age of Conan - Bear Shaman
    City of Heroes/Villains - Mastermind
    Everquest 2 - Coercer
    TSW - Hammer!!
    LotRO - Burglar
    WoW - Paladin
    GW2 - Mesmer
    FF14 - Marauder-Warrior

Could go on forever I suppose.

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    edited November 2016
    I also liked Sram in Dofus a lot, that was an invisibility/trap user combo; not too different from the stealth archer many people favor in Skyrim, though I suppose as a non-MMO that doesn't count.
    Dofus is an MMO. It allows the massive simultaneous play of many players in an online environment, which is all it needs to qualify. There was also extensive role-play on one of the French servers, leading to Ankama giving Jiva the player run Mercenary alignment.

Yes Dofus is definitely an MMO, I was referring to Skyrim, which is definitely not an MMO.  I don't think stealth archer works like that in ESO.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Anarchy Online - Bureaucrat
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    FF11 - Redmage.  I little bit of everything!  Very unique in that respect.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    I also liked Sram in Dofus a lot, that was an invisibility/trap user combo; not too different from the stealth archer many people favor in Skyrim, though I suppose as a non-MMO that doesn't count.
    Dofus is an MMO. It allows the massive simultaneous play of many players in an online environment, which is all it needs to qualify. There was also extensive role-play on one of the French servers, leading to Ankama giving Jiva the player run Mercenary alignment.

Yes Dofus is definitely an MMO, I was referring to Skyrim, which is definitely not an MMO.  I don't think stealth archer works like that in ESO.
    Ahhh, my mistake then. Skyrim is not to be sure. I know nothing about ESO so I don't know how stealth archers work there.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Tank Mage because who doesn't like aoe freezing.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    GladDog said:
    waynejr2 said:
    GladDog said:
    While I normally play only tanks and healers to high level in every game I play, there are two games with classes I considered the most fun to play, and neither was a tank!

City of Heroes - Scrapper, melee DPS - I level capped 3 of them.  Two of them were the same powersets (Dark/Dark/Dark) because I just enjoyed playing the setup!

Star Trek Online - Science Officer - This is the only enchanter/controller type class I liked playing in all of the games I have been in.  And I really liked it!  Nice ability to mez while still doing solid DPS and healing...

I will give honorable mention to my EQ2 Paladin, a tank character that was great fun either in a team or solo.  Just not to the same level of fun as the previous two I mentioned.

I loved my scrapper.  But I like all of them cox.
    I really liked the Scrappers, but I put the most time in with tanks (level capped 4) since it was usually the big need in our SG, and I liked playing COH tanks too!  I also really liked Defenders (level capped 2) - the straight up healer (emp) and the devious debuffing king that could also heal (rad).  I level capped 2 blasters, but glass cannons aren't really my thing.  My first level cap was a blaster, and it took me 6 years of on and off play to level cap the 2nd.  I was kinda meh about controllers, mez really isn't my thing either.

I liked the concept of the Brute, and I level capped one of them.  I also REALLY liked the Corruptor, a Blaster with real healing cajones!  One level cap with that class.  I was playing a Dominator towards the end, but I really didn't have oodles of fun with that one, although I liked it more than a controller.  So 5 classes I really liked, 2 meh, and 3 I really did not care for (Controller, Mastermind and Stalker, I just can't get into pet handler and rogue type classes, or the lack of offence early on with a controller).

COH was my alt-addiction game for sure.  My first character was a female claw SR scrapper "MissDirects".  I thought it would be funny combination but alas there were lots of female claw scrappers running around.  She was a model by day and superhero by night.  The SG was called Model Heroes.

Had an elect/elect blaster called FatherMaelstrom who looked like an ailen.  His origin was the crab nebula but got to Earth due to situation around the supernova. 

Naturally had a fire tanker which was fun but was too popular and broken at the time.  Also had a firekin.

Was in a golden age comic SG with a RAD RAD Defender named Adam Baum.  We didn't do as much I we could have as a SG.

COV:  loved the brute during beta for as it was OP.  Had many masterminds as there were too many fun choices.  Robots, gang war, just fun.  Had a Female bird looking sonic Corruptor named Harpy although I didn't cap her.  My best looking character was a skull faced character with black white and grey character called X-ray bushi as he looked like an x-ray.

Had some RP characters too. COH had a homeless hero who would wonder the lower levels and buff/heal.  Never put effort into the leveling just the fun of it.  COV had a elec/elec brute (tough combo) that was a sad character.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited November 2016
    zanfire said:
    Blue Mage from FFXI. The class idea was awsome and unique from single player FF games and playing it in an MMO setting was crazy. Most games can't pull it off these days due to how limited and "trash" designed non boss mobs are (even XIV can't pull it off this way) so it could only happen in game like XI where open world monsters were not killed in a couple seconds and had multiple special moves.
    So true but from what i am seeing most gamer's don't even care about the game design,they are all interested in racing to end level and end level loot.You are also correct,XIV could not pull off any of the same class designs because of the way it is designed and it is the same fault with all of these EQ2/Wow clones.

I did also enjoy the design of BlueMage,quite fun learning all the spells.My only peeve is FFXi dumbed down a lot of the spells for balance,i don't like that because it basically removes those actual spells and just turns them into something else with same name.All you need to do in games is fiddle with the timers,if something is too powerful,put it on a longer timer,simple easy.

I have given up hope of any good quality design of late and just play FFXI on private servers.I can afford to play any game,it is never about the money,i only seek good quality game design and it is near impossible to find in MMO's.Even inside FFXi ,i don't like the design of the game post 75,but for class designs,MANY are fun,i actually enjoy them all.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ApexTKMApexTKM Member UncommonPosts: 334
    SWG Teras Kasi Master or Jedi was very fun.

WoW probably a tie between Paladin and Druid.
    The acronym MMORPG use to mean Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game.

But the acronym MMMORPG now currently means Microscopic Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game. Kappa.
  • razor716razor716 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Mastermind in CoX hands down.. Or anything in that game for that matter..
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    1. PlanetSide : Advanced Medical / Combat Engineering / Advanced Hacking + Standard Exo Suit + Medium Assault (Punisher) + Ground Support.  Placed that AMeS, Mined and SpitFire Turreted the Hacked and Captured Tower.  Then either manned a Tower Roof Turret or Repaired and Healed those defending the Tower C&C and / or Roof.
    2. Star Wars Galaxies : Master Creature Handler / Master Carbineer, Master Teras Kasi Artist / Master Commando, Master Doctor / Master Musician, Master Architect / Master Droid Engineer, Elder Jedi.  I enjoyed the variety and diversity of Professions in SWG.  I first Mastered all the Novice Professions, before realizing they were just stepping stones to the Advanced / Hybrid Professions.  I enjoyed the Exploration and Harvesting (They called me the Harvest Meister).  I was disappointed that MCH wasn't a really viable profession, all max level pets were Massive, and they didn't follow us down elevators.  The TKA combat animations (ribbon drawn in the air) are the best I have seen in an MMO.  Riflemen were the Heavy DPS, but I loved the look, feel, and name of Carbineer.  I could go On and On.
    3. City of Heroes : Blaster / Medicine  I don't remember CoX to well.  I wanted to be a healer, but that wasn't an Archetype.  I remember Shooting Electric Bolts and Hovering in the air.  I loved that Hover was a Defense Boost.  I didn't get far in my Medicine training though.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    edited November 2016
    Just give me any cleric/priest with a wide spectrum of healing powers and some mana management and I'm fine. Something like the holy priest from tbc wow.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited November 2016
    GW1 Mesmer. "Oh by the way, for the next 15 seconds any time you cast a spell you take massive damage. Have fun with that." It just had the weirdest abilities but they were so powerful when used correctly.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    I really liked playing Warden in LOTRO, too.  Also Minstrel.  Honestly the classes were really well done in LOTRO.

Probably my favorite would be Witch from BDO.  They really nailed a style of gameplay that is fast paced and mobile, but still maintains the kind of "I'm powering up then BOOM" stuff that is the hallmark of mages.

Classes were really done well in BnS, too.  Warlock was super stylish and KFM was just super cool, making you feel like Jakie Chan when you play.

Unfortunately with BDO and BnS, there's that p2w garbage and all the LYING from the Devs with BDO.  Shame really- good games.
  • AndistotleAndistotle Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Herald of Xotli from Age of conan.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    WoW vanilla warrior tanking in 5 men groups. It wasn't that much fun in solo, or in large raids, but I loved the way you were always busy trying to control the fight just a little bit better when you were the only tank.

Then Blizzard added AoE tanking and spoiled my fun.

• AndraxxAndraxx Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Fixer in Anarchy Online
    Minstrel in LotRO
    Herald of Xotli in AoC

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Everquest: enchanter & beastlord - Enchanter for the best cc ever seen in a mmorpg, beastlord for its versatility and never a dull moment.
    Vanguard: bloodmage & sorceror - Shame the game never evolved for its great class design (probably the most interesting set of classes+mechanic in mmorpg history).
    WoW: shaman (healer with click-heal mod) - Amazingly fun ae healing on raids but also in group
    Neverwinter: control wizard - For its tactical action based crowd control
    gw2: mesmer - the class not the game
    Diablo2: necromancer (skelliemancer build) - curse, teleport, watch aura enchanced skellies destroy anything faster than a hammerdin.

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    The bard in Vanguard hands down best and original class ever made in a MMO.
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Early Shaman WoW and pre nerfed Thsne.