Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most fun class ever... in any MMORPG, cast your votes..

Comments

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    The Bear Shaman in Age of Conan

He walks around with a huge two handed hammer and smacks people about the head and face with it.  The best part is that the more he hurts the enemy, the more he heals his friends by building up stacks of rage that heal for greater amounts the more angry he gets.  On top of all of that, he's a mid to upper range damage dealer in raids, but only if you're really good with him.  He's a micromanaging nightmare, so if you don't like having a lot to do during a raid, then don't bother with this class and play a three button ranger.  Personally?  I love the challenge.

He's good in the hands of a competent player and a monster in the hands of a master.
  • KittyKattKittyKatt Member UncommonPosts: 8
    UO Bard/Tamer before they mess it up. I never had one class that can do everything.
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    #1 - Shapeshifters, such as druid in WoW.  MMOs usually don't support the non-combat shapeshifting possibilities anywhere near as well as they could, though.  Shapeshifting could be awesome for both puzzle-solving and spying/theft/assassination.

#2 - I also liked Sram in Dofus a lot, that was an invisibility/trap user combo; not too different from the stealth archer many people favor in Skyrim, though I suppose as a non-MMO that doesn't count.

#3 - Summoners like Osamodas in Dofus are fun too.  I dislike summoners or pet-users that can only use one pet though, especially if the pet can only be a tank.  A mid-level Osamodas can have 5 pets on the tactical board at the same time if they have the right gear on.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Spiritmaster in daoc, darkness line. A few other classes in that game are among my favorites too, followed by rogue in WoW and a few like ranger, monk, bst, mage from EQ1.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    BST in FFXi.

I really liked Shadowknight for a long time in EQ2 but after a while i figured out what SOE was doing and it ruined the entire combat structure for me.

I would also have to add a longshot which is  more a combo than a class alone.Silkroad online ,an old game now defunct/changed had a Ranger/Freeze combo that was extremely fun,fire fast arrows and freeze the mobs so they couldn't move.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GaendricGaendric Member UncommonPosts: 624
    DAoC Minstrel (early DAoC).

• inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441
    Every class in VSOH was just amazing! Enchanter class in EQ1 and SK in EQ2.

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

• Jill52Jill52 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Kinda hard to answer since my favorites came from games without set classes.

Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine - Magic Bullet Gunner / Sharpshooter

Using Magic Bullet chain expertise gave the ability to enchant each bullet you fired with an elemental affinity to exploit your target's weakness. I combined it with the Sharpshooter damage toggle chain expertise. That gave damage bonuses against specific types of demons. You could stack the damage bonuses even more by using a gun and/or bullets with matching affinity. It was considered one of the weaker expertise builds but if you knew alot about each of the demons you were fighting and knew how to build your gear it was actually quite good and alot of fun to play.
  • Tgiordano92Tgiordano92 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Scrapper Engineer - GW2, Samurai - FFXI
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,171
    I also liked Sram in Dofus a lot, that was an invisibility/trap user combo; not too different from the stealth archer many people favor in Skyrim, though I suppose as a non-MMO that doesn't count.
    Dofus is an MMO. It allows the massive simultaneous play of many players in an online environment, which is all it needs to qualify. There was also extensive role-play on one of the French servers, leading to Ankama giving Jiva the player run Mercenary alignment.

Anyway, more on point...

Freeform, in Champions Online. That is a class (archetype) that allows you to pick and choose from virtually every player ability in the game to create a custom class of your own design.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I played a lot of fun classes but my favorite is GW2s thief, the initiative mechanics are different from anything I seen in any other MMORPG and incredible fun. That said is the class not perfect, I would like to change out my weapons attacks.

Besides that there have been a few others I like: Swashie & Dirge, EQ2. Ranger (GW). Elf (Lineage). Bear shaman (AoC). Druid (EQ). And a bunch of others that slip my mind at the moment.

What really makes an exceptional class is that it is different from the other classes both in style and mechanics.

While I did add 2 EQ2 classes on that list (Swashie because everything gets better with pirates and Dirge due to a character I played called "Razorbliss", a really goth darkelf that was very fun to play (but could depress partymembers at times) EQ2s class system is rather poor since most classes exist as mirrors and the specific mechanics of the classes are rather similar to the others. After playing it 5 years some classes still stucked though.

GWs ranger had great versatility (and could be played with or without the pet) and access to far more skills and builds then any other ranger class, I like rangers overall but it had the best so far.

AoCs BS is a healer that doesn't feel like any other healer I ever seen.

EQ druid is the most fun support class I ever seen. 

And Lineages elf was a rather odd class, only class with crafting in the game while I played it, start out as a rather basic DPS class but when you start getting magic it changes.

Sadly, most MMO classes are either bad copies of AD&D classes or generally uninspired. That makes the ones that stand out even greater.
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    SK - EQ
    Friar - DAoC
    Hunter - WoW
  • ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Cleric/Magic-User, Neverwinter Nights on AoL.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    edited November 2016
    non MMO is TES / skyrim thief hahaha naked cites here i come . Necro and archer is next as fun .

MMO is shaiya ranger/assassin and priest class , turn into animal and copy appearance of other player .

Most fun moment of me is when i Shapeshifted and the enemy try to party me ... hahaha , killed them and they faces are like , "why did i die" .
    It's also good toy when i copy the big Boss for Halloween and play with my friends . Other people is like "why the hell the boss in city" and try to kill me , good memory , the GM also join lol .

Ah , i remember my tank mage as well . Trolling as hell , no damage but have AOE stun and roots , they don't even care about killing me but always have an archer locked me to stop me to cast skill .

It sucked they ruined the game . around 2009
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    GladDog said:
    While I normally play only tanks and healers to high level in every game I play, there are two games with classes I considered the most fun to play, and neither was a tank!

City of Heroes - Scrapper, melee DPS - I level capped 3 of them.  Two of them were the same powersets (Dark/Dark/Dark) because I just enjoyed playing the setup!

Star Trek Online - Science Officer - This is the only enchanter/controller type class I liked playing in all of the games I have been in.  And I really liked it!  Nice ability to mez while still doing solid DPS and healing...

I will give honorable mention to my EQ2 Paladin, a tank character that was great fun either in a team or solo.  Just not to the same level of fun as the previous two I mentioned.

I loved my scrapper.  But I like all of them cox.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Kung Fu Master in Blade&Soul. 
  • Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999
    EQ1 - Necromancer
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    waynejr2 said:
    GladDog said:
    While I normally play only tanks and healers to high level in every game I play, there are two games with classes I considered the most fun to play, and neither was a tank!

City of Heroes - Scrapper, melee DPS - I level capped 3 of them.  Two of them were the same powersets (Dark/Dark/Dark) because I just enjoyed playing the setup!

Star Trek Online - Science Officer - This is the only enchanter/controller type class I liked playing in all of the games I have been in.  And I really liked it!  Nice ability to mez while still doing solid DPS and healing...

I will give honorable mention to my EQ2 Paladin, a tank character that was great fun either in a team or solo.  Just not to the same level of fun as the previous two I mentioned.

I loved my scrapper.  But I like all of them cox.
    I really liked the Scrappers, but I put the most time in with tanks (level capped 4) since it was usually the big need in our SG, and I liked playing COH tanks too!  I also really liked Defenders (level capped 2) - the straight up healer (emp) and the devious debuffing king that could also heal (rad).  I level capped 2 blasters, but glass cannons aren't really my thing.  My first level cap was a blaster, and it took me 6 years of on and off play to level cap the 2nd.  I was kinda meh about controllers, mez really isn't my thing either.

I liked the concept of the Brute, and I level capped one of them.  I also REALLY liked the Corruptor, a Blaster with real healing cajones!  One level cap with that class.  I was playing a Dominator towards the end, but I really didn't have oodles of fun with that one, although I liked it more than a controller.  So 5 classes I really liked, 2 meh, and 3 I really did not care for (Controller, Mastermind and Stalker, I just can't get into pet handler and rogue type classes, or the lack of offence early on with a controller).

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366
    City of Heroes Masterminds (any flavor)
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

City of Heroes  Illusion/Storm controller.   Chaos on the hoof.   Cast your hurricane, spectral terror, thunderstorm, phantom  army, phantasm, freezing rain, tornado.   Utter, wild disruption with foes flying everywhere.    Awesome fun!

And it upset the  efficiency focused minimaxers

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• nerovergilnerovergil Member UncommonPosts: 680
    assassin - ro
  • epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394
    bard - eq1

swarm kiting. the danger was REAL and i was sweating over my keyboard making sure i didn't make 1 wrong step.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    frostymug said:
    Warrior Priest in WAR. Frontline healer that had to do damage to charge heals. Probably the only time I truly enjoyed playing a healer, although most of the healers in the game were pretty decent. 1H and book was the more effective build stat wise, but I preferred the aesthetic of a healer swinging a two hand maul
    Same. Chloromancer in Rift is a close second. I just like healing others based on the damage I do. I gravitate toward those kinds of classes and skills in all MMOs I play.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Disciple from Vanguard Saga of Heroes. Easily my favorite. They took the martial arts from the monk class and gave it healing power. You could both directly heal using spells, or using combat arts. Part of what made it so fun was the Vanguard chain attack system. By attacking a mob with specific disciplines, you were able to heal and buff your party while actively participating in combat. This was the first time in an MMO I found healing especially fun.

• brad31781brad31781 Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Anarchy Online: Soldier. It was quite broken on release, reflecting 75% damage back but fun as hell. If only Age of Conan or The Secret World gripped me like AO did. First MMO + Best on server for awhile I guess made AO so memorable.