Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Searching for a 27' 1440p with freesync gaming monitor - need your suggestions

algueralguer Member UncommonPosts: 12

I’m looking for a replacement of my actual 23' monitor, my current setup is:

Intel Core i5 6600K (3.5GHz) Socket 1151
Asus Z170M-Plus
MSI R9 390 Gaming 8GB GD5
Seasonic M12II 620W Evo Edition 80+
Kingston 2x 8GB DDR4 2400MHz HyperX Fury Black
Disco SSD Crucial BX200 480GB SATA III
Micro-ATX Nox Coolbay
LG 23' 23MP67VQ-P 5ms IPS

I’m EU based and while searching for options here, I’ve found (Asus 27' MG278Q and BenQ 27'' LED XL2730Z) at around 500€

Any input is highly appreciated :)

Cheers.

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I'm not aware of anyone who sells 27 ft monitors.
    It's actually really hard not to get a good monitor nowadays. You have to shop for poor brands to have an issue it seems. Asus, BenQ are good if you are spending around 300~500. Acer, LG, Samsung and Dell are also good. Nearly all the panels come from LG and Samsung so they are pretty much the same.
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    I just bought this one on sale 2 day's ago but that was in the US.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009769  You might check the price on that one in the EU.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    edited November 2016
    To some degree, it's a matter of budget and priorities.  I have three of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236466

IPS monitor, so it gives better image quality than you're ever going to get from a TN panel.  But a TN panel like the ones you mention or stayontarget links will tend to have a little lower response time and be a little cheaper.

Do be aware that if you get a TN monitor like you're considering, it's almost certainly going to be noticeably worse image quality than the monitor you have now.  Whether you care about that is up to you.
  • algueralguer Member UncommonPosts: 12
    edited November 2016

Thank you for the replies!

I’ve gone through a few reviews/articles including the one from TFT central and it seems that BenQ model is slightly better than the Acer and provides a few extras more like blur reduction. Nevertheless, that was a great deal - Stayontarget!

Having in mind the architecture limitation, I know that TN panel does not deliver the same quality but it seems that this model is different in comparison with the ones available in the market for the same price. This is per some video reviews I watched – didn’t had the chance to check it myself!

I’ve search for the Asus here in EU and its around 100€ more than the BenQ, so I bit out of my league right now!

Wondering if it’s the right time for this upgrade or to go for something diferente like LG 29MP68 – Widescreen model – since I can get it for about 300€.

Post edited by alguer on
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited November 2016
    You aren't really going to find a 27" QHD 144hz IPS monitor in your price range that doesn't have issues like IPS glow. It's another few hundred for the Acer Predator monitors, even then there is the 5ms response time. If an instant response from your monitor is the most important thing, then you probably won't get by with an IPS display. So you really need to ask yourself what is the most important aspect in your purchase. Silky smooth game play with a high refresh rate. Or superior image quality. There is a noticable difference between IPS and TN, but TN with an LED back light can still have good image quality.
    If we were looking at IPS monitors in that price bracket, I have an LG UD88. Its a 4k display with a 60hz refresh rate and incredible image quality. Same model without the factory calibration sells for a hundred less. The LG UD68. However, you need a good GPU for this monitor.
    It really is a choice at this point. Do you want better image quality or do you want the superior monitor for twitch based gameplay. One thing to keep in mind is that OLED are starting to make sense for the consumer (From $40k to $5k). When they do arrive at a reasonable price, everything will be outdated. So expect your next monitor to last about 5 years and spend appropriately.
    Post edited by Cleffy on
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236593R

ASUS MG278Q Black 27" 144 Hz (GTG) WQHD HDMI Widescreen 2560 x 1440 LED Monitor, Adaptive-Sync (Free-Sync), Ergonomic Gaming performance, Pivot & High Adjustable (1000:1) Built-in Speaker

$434 for this 2K screen is a good price. You can probably find it at an acceptable price where you live as well, not sure what Neweggs freight price to Europe is otherwise but it should still be below 500 Euro.
  • mastermind335mastermind335 Member UncommonPosts: 15
    I think as @Loke666 says the Asus MG278Q black is a wonderful option to be honest one of the best options. But I suggest you look 
    more into this guide, it simply compares most of the Best gaming monitors in 2016, some great options there as well as information about the 4k and what to look for. Also acer predator is also a great alternative.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I think as @Loke666 says the Asus MG278Q black is a wonderful option to be honest one of the best options. But I suggest you look 
    more into this guide, it simply compares most of the Best gaming monitors in 2016, some great options there as well as information about the 4k and what to look for. Also acer predator is also a great alternative.
    I am just saying it was the best deal I could find at Newegg when I made the post 20 days ago. There are better screens but this was the best performance for dollars I could find. 

That could haave changed since but since I assume OP already bought a new screen I just am too lazy to check. :)