Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone who bought new EVGA NVidia "Pascal" card - get an RMA

MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
edited November 2016 in Hardware
Most of EVGA cards have overheating problems and run a risk of catching fire

http://videocardz.com/64084/evga-22-geforce-gtx-10-models-are-affected-by-pwm-operating-temperature-issue

Models in question:

GTX 1080

GTX 1070GTX 1060 6GGTX 1060 3G
08G-P4-618108G-P4-517106G-P4-626203G-P4-6365
08G-P4-618308G-P4-517306G-P4-636603G-P4-6367
08G-P4-628408G-P4-617106G-P4-6265
08G-P4-628608G-P4-617306G-P4-6264
08G-P4-638408G-P4-627406G-P4-6267
08G-P4-638608G-P4-627606G-P4-6368

06G-P4-6167

06G-P4-6165

Comments

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    issue (on 1060 as an example)

Thumbnail

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Whew, doesn't water boil at 100 degees Celsius?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Kyleran said:
    Whew, doesn't water boil at 100 degees Celsius?
    Inside video cards, it tends to boil at a lot less than that.
  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Well, it has been fiery season, Apple, Samsung, NVidia...whos next lol
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I have read a few stories on this and wondered why it wasnt more of a big deal. I mean the power usage on the reference AMDs were talked about more and that was much less of a problem.
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Egads!  I'm glad I went with the ASUS STRIX GTX 1070.
    Still you gotta wonder !!

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• NightliteNightlite Member UncommonPosts: 227
    VRM has been a looming issue for a while now.. one of the biggest heat generators with the least thought out cooling solutions.
  • natpicknatpick Member UncommonPosts: 271
    thanks for the headsup fortunately my 1060 6g evga isnt on the list so i guess im ok.
  • JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
    They are doing free Advanced RMA's if you are in the most the US, Canada, EU, UK, etc. otherwise a standard RMA for other regions. All units sent out as of 11/1 will have thermal padding applied and VBIOS updated.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Egads!  I'm glad I went with the ASUS STRIX GTX 1070.
    I'm glad I went with the ASUS STRIX GTX OC6 1060 ! 

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Glad my new 1050 isnt on the list.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I didn't know the 1060's were on the list, I had only heard of 1080's and 1070's. Not that it affects me personally, but I wouldn't have suspected the 1060 since it's such a lower-TDP card. But hey, I guess physics still works, and temperature isn't just a function of Energy in, it's also got Energy Out, and if the VRMs aren't sufficiently designed, even 1W could be enough to overheat them.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    SlyLoK said:
    I have read a few stories on this and wondered why it wasnt more of a big deal. I mean the power usage on the reference AMDs were talked about more and that was much less of a problem.
    This is an EVGA issue rather than an NVidia issue. With a sloppy cooling solution lots of stuff will toast - whether its made by AMD, Intel, NVidia or whoever.   

The AMD discussion was different. AMD, if you recall, "fudged" the benchmarks of e.g the 480s by ramping up the power. So much so that amperages "in excess of the PCI-SIG’s specification" were being recorded. As in: possible to much draw on the motherboard with potential nasty issues. As was suggested they would follow up with a driver "fix".

And - no surprise - AMD did issue a new driver which - to their credit with only a marginal loss of performance (to their credit).

AMD did cross the line though in going outside the PCI-SIG spec. Yes it would "probably" have been OK but if every component manufacture took the same cavalier attitude and assumed there was headroom ..... fire in the hold would be a distinct possibility!
  • munnmunn Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Woohoo, my 1080 hybrid isn't on the list!  Though it doesn't get above 60 degrees at 2139/11000 so I didn't expect it to be I spose.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    munn said:
    Woohoo, my 1080 hybrid isn't on the list!  Though it doesn't get above 60 degrees at 2139/11000 so I didn't expect it to be I spose.
    Well, the issue isn't on the GPU, where your software will report temperatures. The issue is on the VRM, which doesn't always have a software monitoring point. That's why there are all these thermal camera images.
  • munnmunn Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Gotcha, fair enough.  In reading the article closer it looks like they're releasing a vBIOS for those impacted that they believe will address the issue.  Those that are looking for additional peace of mind are also eligible to get free thermal pads to cool them.

Beyond that folks are also able to exchange their cards if desired.  An unfortunate situation but at least EVGA is working towards mitigating any lasting impact to their user base.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Also glad I bought an Asus Strix 1080

I usually buy EVGA but didn't like the wait this time around.

Phew ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Volgore said:

Don't stand in the fire!
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    well, glad i couldn't afford one :dizzy:
    I'll stick with my MSI 980ti a little bit longer :p