Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"No Man's Sky was a Mistake" Hello Games Tweeted then Removed

13»

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    CrazKanuk said:

Here is what I am suggesting to you

My base Assertion: 'media and community got hyper hyped about this game over knowing nothing other than a video of a man landing, I suggested that the game would not live up to expecations'

My Question to you: 'If am am wrong or even lied about about WHY I made that prediction, what does it mean about said prediction? that I just got lucky? or that the game DID live up to peoples expectation?

so again the question is, did I just get lucky?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Alumicard said:
    ohioastro said:
    Obvious hacking is hacking.  Why are we discussing this?  From their actual twitter:

“100% not hacked anymore... obviously those mails and that tweet were fake. Back to work.”

"Server hacked. We're binging Mr Robot Episodes as quickly as we can looking for answers. Ep05 is a cracker"

I knew the show was good but never thought it could be that useful.

Oh no guys, it was totally... um... a hacker! Yeah! That's it! Definitely not a depressed Murray pulling a Molyneux, then getting suppressed by our newly extant PR department. 

By the way the hacker story is totally legit and not at all like how we misled you about multiplayer. 

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Volgore said:
    Some guys from 3DGameDevBlog did analyze the engine and coding. While they have alot of praise for the engine, they stated that the game was nothing more than a demo.

http://3dgamedevblog.com/wordpress/?p=836

Sony blames the media for the multiplayer lie, claims that the "confusion" about that was caused by the hype.

http://pixelvulture.com/2016/10/no-mans-sky-3/

I usually don't believe much of the BS that surrounds media,however this i can believe.
    I actually feel it is rather obvious and absolutely nothing new when compared to how the entire industry is operating.
    Most devs have some good ideas but nothing ever gets to see the triple A status.
    I do not believe a single developer in the industry has the ability to deliver a triple A game similar to what NMS was trying to achieve.It just takes way too much work to get there and i said the same will happen with VR,just a bunch of ideas with rinky dink implementation.

Not sure what part of MP ,Sony is talking about,to me it was never a triple A product and never would be.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    SEANMCAD said:

My base Assertion: 'media and community got hyper hyped about this game over knowing nothing other than a video of a man landing, I suggested that the game would not live up to expecations'

On that point, we agree.

But WHY did the media do that?  Was Sony throwing money at them to do it, was it a slow news year or did they actually believe that NMS was going to be this huge incredible game based on the little they were told and shown???
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    bartoni33 said:
    SBFord said:
    @bartoni33 By tawdry, in this case, I think it's unacceptable to continue to browbeat these people. If, as pointed out, he's had some sort of breakdown, the rampant coverage and continued assaults on the game, the studio, the employees, etc. only exacerbate an already dire situation. Don't insinuate that I meant anything more than that. It's a terrible situation being made that much worse for the rehash of everyone's issues with the game.
     Someone in another thread somewhere on the Interweb (it's a series of tubes) compared Sean to Michael Scott of The Office: always willing to say anything that he felt someone would want to hear to get them to like him. Very apt IMHO.
    That was me back in August in the "Is Hello Games guilty of False Advertising?" thread.  I had just finished watching all nine seasons of The Office with my wife and every interview I saw with Sean Murray reminded me of him.  

Here's what I said back in August, but mind you my language is more coarse here than I would use now.  I was one of the many hopefuls that wanted this game to be everything that it promised, so I was a touch angry when I made this post:

I don't know how many of you are fans of The Office (US), but the boss on that show, Michael Scott, refused to give anyone bad news.  He wanted everyone to love him all the time and would lie lie lie to get around telling anything negative to anyone.  Problem was, it always came back to bite him in the ass when people found out about the bad news from another source.  He always ended up looking worse.

Sean Murray is Michael Scott.  You watch any interview with that lying jerk and no matter what the interviewer asks him about the game, he claims it will be in it.  "Hey, will there be martians made out of pizza that walk up to you and ask 'would you like a slice?'" and he will laugh nervously and say "yes".  I watched an interview where the interviewer kept raising the stakes with every question.  

"Can we do X in game?"
    "Yes"
    "Oh really, wow, so will we be able to do Y?"
    "Yes, absolutely"
    "That's just fantastic.  So, I know this is really out there, but will we be able to do Z, because it would be a dick move if we could do X and Y but not Z"
    "Yes, it would be a dick move, so certainly you'll be able to do Z"

So essentially, every time this idiot was put in front of a microphone, he started promising things that he couldn't deliver and that's why we have a featureless game that costs $60 + promises.

• AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388
    edited October 2016
    Alumicard said:
    ohioastro said:
    Obvious hacking is hacking.  Why are we discussing this?  From their actual twitter:

“100% not hacked anymore... obviously those mails and that tweet were fake. Back to work.”

"Server hacked. We're binging Mr Robot Episodes as quickly as we can looking for answers. Ep05 is a cracker"

Oh no guys, it was totally... um... a hacker! Yeah! That's it! Definitely not a depressed Murray pulling a Molyneux, then getting suppressed by our newly extant PR department. 

By the way the hacker story is totally legit and not at all like how we misled you about multiplayer. 
    So you think that anything anyone involved in the project says is by default false?

Given that you base that on the multiplayer aspect. I assume you can back up your claims? I mean you surely have various links that would proof your claims of them promising multiplayer.
  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Game looked cool when I saw first trailer but never got too invested in it. Sucks that it turned out to be crap, and they lied about a lot of things. Glad I never bought it. Don't care too much about what happens to the developers one way or the other. I'm sure they don't care too much after they got their swimming pools filled with 100 dollar bills either. I guess the lesson here is that you don't pre-order from unproven developers?
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    edited October 2016
    Alumicard said:
    Alumicard said:
    ohioastro said:

So you think that anything anyone involved in the project says is by default false?

Given that you base that on the multiplayer aspect. I assume you can back up your claims? I mean you surely have various links that would proof your claims of them promising multiplayer.

5:44 in.

Please watch the whole video as well and then make your judgment on how people could have been mistaken about what this game will have and doesn't have.

In my opinion these guys should be taken to court and everyone should be allowed a refund.

Reality not meeting fandom hype?  Fine.
    Blatantly lying about what your game can do and the scope to build hype and then not meeting expectations? Not Fine.

This crap is going on a lot lately and gaming journalist are complacent in it.  Sword Coast Legends is another one I can think of that did something similar.  This practice needs to stop.  One way is to avoid pre-orders and wait for reality.  I know I've certainly done that now.

Talonsin said:
    SEANMCAD said:

On that point, we agree.

But WHY did the media do that?  Was Sony throwing money at them to do it, was it a slow news year or did they actually believe that NMS was going to be this huge incredible game based on the little they were told and shown???
    although people love to ask me often about the 'why' and I in fact like talking about it I fear it too often gets confused with the conversation at hand. we should make a seperate thread on that.

For the purposes of this conversation I guess we can just say my predictions where 'got lucky'

edited November 2016
    CrazKanuk said:

Your response to the post below was "more or less... yes", indicating it was a conspiracy theory of some sort. Then you gave two games of examples where this has happened before. Now you're playing dumb like you have no idea what I'm talking about. What are you trying to cover up? What do you know? 

See this is why you are honestly one of my favorite posters here. Your takeaway from this and many other things is "out of the box" as they say. Correlating media hype for a supposedly expansive game from an Indie team into some kind of PR Stunt conspiracy theory is interesting. You really feel that HG/Sony (can't forget Sony's involvement) conspired with all gaming media to hype a game that they knew years before launch was going to fall well short of said hype?
    A Hot Take as they say in the Sports Media world!  

I am going to say this just one more time and then that is it.

please read very carefully

It doesnt matter the 'WHY' if the answer to the 'why' doesnt change the prediction.

so I ask you a 3rd time, was I just lucky on my prediction? are you trying to suggest my prediction didnt happen and in fact the game does live up to the hype?

the WHY does not matter at all in this discussion unless the way changes the root outcome declared which it doesnt. so drop it or start a new thread asking about the conspiracies of marketing and I will be more than happy to respond. but not here.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Your response to the post below was "more or less... yes", indicating it was a conspiracy theory of some sort. Then you gave two games of examples where this has happened before. Now you're playing dumb like you have no idea what I'm talking about. What are you trying to cover up? What do you know? 

See this is why you are honestly one of my favorite posters here. Your takeaway from this and many other things is "out of the box" as they say. Correlating media hype for a supposedly expansive game from an Indie team into some kind of PR Stunt conspiracy theory is interesting. You really feel that HG/Sony (can't forget Sony's involvement) conspired with all gaming media to hype a game that they knew years before launch was going to fall well short of said hype?

It doesnt matter the 'WHY' if the answer to the 'why' doesnt change the prediction.

so I ask you a 3rd time, was I just lucky on my prediction? are you trying to suggest my prediction didnt happen and in fact the game does live up to the hype?

the WHY does not matter at all in this discussion unless the way changes the root outcome declared which it doesnt. so drop it or start a new thread asking about the conspiracies of marketing and I will be more than happy to respond. but not here.

So drop it.... as in leave it for 3 days without any sort of response to you? Yeah, that's what I was shooting for. 

Once again, I'm not sure whether it's just 100% pure, unadulterated crazy, or if there is a drug I can take to arrive at whatever plane of existence you're on, but if it's a drug, let me know and I'll take it. Seems waaaaaay more interesting than reality. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:

So drop it.... as in leave it for 3 days without any sort of response to you? Yeah, that's what I was shooting for. 

Once again, I'm not sure whether it's just 100% pure, unadulterated crazy, or if there is a drug I can take to arrive at whatever plane of existence you're on, but if it's a drug, let me know and I'll take it. Seems waaaaaay more interesting than reality. 
    it doesnt matter if I am liying, batshit crazy or insane IF it doesnt change the main assertion which it does not.

if it could change the base assertion then its a valid thing to explore but you would need to explain how it would change the base assertion.

base assertion being as I predicted the game ended up not being remotely as good as people thought it would.

that assertion needs to be able to change otherwise its off topic.

like I said, create a thread like 'How does marketing affect games' and I will be more than happy to talk about conspiracies with you until you cant stand it anymore