Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can a new player catch up in PVP?

d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
I wouldn't be aiming to be one of the top pvpers or anything like that. I would also have a guild to play with for group pvp. I just want to know if I can "catch up" if I were to start playing now. I wouldn't want to be a long-term liability needing to be carried in pvp by my guild. 

I've never played the game. I'm just curious. I would probably spend most of my time in pve and exploring, but I do like to pvp sometimes. Would it ever be possible for me to hold my own in spontaneous open world pvp with someone who's been playing from the start? How long would it take to get to that point, if it's possible?

Comments

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Imo, no and what pvp? I only play it for the beautiful graphics and good combat. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Its not impossible, but it would mean a lot of hours grinding in pve, and also being prepared to spend some money on the game, but mostly, you will get killed 99% of the time.
    Best advice is join a guild and do group pve grinding, and eventually group orientated pvp, it will take a while before you can go toe to toe with others, but once you have got some decent gear it will become easier, but short answer, if your opponent is higher level than you, and/or has better gear, then your toast regardless.
    Getting ahead in PVP means a lot of grinding and also spending money to improve your gear, buy specific costumes, jewelry etc, if you skimp on either one, then it will be that much harder, and your survival chances are significantly reduced.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Phry said:
    Its not impossible, but it would mean a lot of hours grinding in pve, and also being prepared to spend some money on the game, but mostly, you will get killed 99% of the time.
    Best advice is join a guild and do group pve grinding, and eventually group orientated pvp, it will take a while before you can go toe to toe with others, but once you have got some decent gear it will become easier, but short answer, if your opponent is higher level than you, and/or has better gear, then your toast regardless.
    Getting ahead in PVP means a lot of grinding and also spending money to improve your gear, buy specific costumes, jewelry etc, if you skimp on either one, then it will be that much harder, and your survival chances are significantly reduced.
    Assuming a subscription, how much more would you need to pay?

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    "Getting ahead in PVP means a lot of grinding and also spending money to improve your gear"

We often hear on these boards the defence for cash shops that they allow those with less time to spend in game the chance to play at top level. Well here you have to grind away and pay too. Not that much of an advantage for those with less time to sink in is it?
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    d_20 said:
    I would probably spend most of my time in pve and exploring, but I do like to pvp sometimes.
    With that play style, which is the same one I prefer, you are usually just a victim in MMO PvP or at best you can try to avoid it. If you can live with that, ok. If not I would look for another game. This is of course just my oppinion based on my experiences of playing MMOs for 16 years now. ;)
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    d_20 said:
    I wouldn't be aiming to be one of the top pvpers or anything like that. I would also have a guild to play with for group pvp. I just want to know if I can "catch up" if I were to start playing now. I wouldn't want to be a long-term liability needing to be carried in pvp by my guild. 

I've never played the game. I'm just curious. I would probably spend most of my time in pve and exploring, but I do like to pvp sometimes. Would it ever be possible for me to hold my own in spontaneous open world pvp with someone who's been playing from the start? How long would it take to get to that point, if it's possible?
    If you play a little on the hardcore side then yes. A better thing would be to join an active guild that has grinding groups. You'll have fun and level at a reasonable rate.

If you enjoy the life skills stuff you can make a decent living and buy your equipment if you don't want to level it. It will be expensive but if you enjoy the whole crafting/workers things you can do well. I also fish and can make decent money there.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    I've read some posts where people were complaining about leaving their computers on all the time when they were afk. Is this something most people feel they need to do? 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    d_20 said:
    I've read some posts where people were complaining about leaving their computers on all the time when they were afk. Is this something most people feel they need to do? 
    If you want you can afk fish or afk process/craft.

It can be a help. But you can also have your workers craft for you. You should watch some videos on youtube as far as how to deal with workers/crafting.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Ganking doesn't happen as often as people make it sound and with the removal of exp loss on death you lose nothing. 

There's also events with exp boosts to help you level quicker, you can use a pet (It's recomanded if you'll grind a lot) which boosts exp and other ways. I believe they reduced exp requirements to reach higher levels.

It's true that it won't be easy to be the very best quickly, but its also not impossible if you don't play casually. 

Only thing you need to afk to level if you don't care about crafting/fishing is the stats like strength etc. Strength is honestly the worst stat to level as you have to equip a tradepack that slows you down and move a lot to gain experience.

Bloodaxes said:
    Ganking doesn't happen as often as people make it sound and with the removal of exp loss on death you lose nothing. 

There's also events with exp boosts to help you level quicker, you can use a pet (It's recomanded if you'll grind a lot) which boosts exp and other ways. I believe they reduced exp requirements to reach higher levels.

It's true that it won't be easy to be the very best quickly, but its also not impossible if you don't play casually. 

Only thing you need to afk to level if you don't care about crafting/fishing is the stats like strength etc. Strength is honestly the worst stat to level as you have to equip a tradepack that slows you down and move a lot to gain experience.
    Stamina is probably more important than strength, which just allows you to carry more, you can level up stamina by running, probably a good idea to leave your game running over night while your toon is running around using autoloop. There is also health to level up, but i think the only way to do that is to eat, make or buy lots of something cheap and just eat whenever you can, as far as i know there isn't an 'auto feeder' option, be kind of funny if there was :dizzy:
  • shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    edited October 2016
    well it took me a couple of weeks to get duo liverto and pri everything else, apparently you need tri in order to be on the same level as most of the playerbase
    some people also fund boss alts which means like a +15 or pri weapon and base armor and park them at world boss locations because you still have a shot at the boss gear even if you don't deal the most damage
    i'm thinking about it

also you can level up health fast by buying the yellow food like serendia specials which give you a lot more health exp per 30 minutes than other food
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Phry said:
    Bloodaxes said:

Stamina is probably more important than strength, which just allows you to carry more, you can level up stamina by running, probably a good idea to leave your game running over night while your toon is running around using autoloop. There is also health to level up, but i think the only way to do that is to eat, make or buy lots of something cheap and just eat whenever you can, as far as i know there isn't an 'auto feeder' option, be kind of funny if there was :dizzy:
    Stamina is very easy to level tough since the only requirement is to move unlike strength.

For grinding weight limit helps that's why strength is good to level.

The only experience I've had like that is Darkfall, where I used to leave my char auto-running into a wall all night with a heavy pack on.

I decided to pick up the game, strangely enough, since DMKano said it was like AA but for solo players. I play solo a lot, but my guild from GW2 moved over to BDO and they are still pretty active, so I will also have a group of people I know and like to play with, so that's a plus if I stick around. 

Thanks for the info, all.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    What are all of you people talking about.  Where are all the P2W people.  Of course you can!!  It's P2W.  Donate you're 50 bucks (I don't know the going rate :)) and poof, you're right up there ;)

I self identify as a monkey.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Bloodaxes said:

They frequently reduce the xp needed to get to certain levels. Most recently they made it a lot easier to get to 56. It's their way of giving new players a way to get somewhat caught up. Of course that doesn't bring you anywhere close to the most hardcore of the hardcore, who are currently lvl 59-61... although the 61's are more in it just for the rankings, so you'll rarely... if ever at all see them PvPing, since they're not getting XP while doing that :pleased:

TL;DR: It's unlikely you will ever catch up to the most hardcore players that have been there since launch, but yes, you can get competitive for group PvP.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• krgwynnekrgwynne Member UncommonPosts: 119
    getting to a high enough lvl to compete is achievable but most of the high lvl players are also highly geared and that is were catching up is going to take either a lot more time than lvling or allot of cash. Seriously though by the time you grind to 59 most will be 62 or so and youll have the same problem and have to get to 61 or so which is a serious and very boring grind.
    edited October 2016
    Well, I did wind up loading the game and playing a bit. I was surprised to find Tay Zonday doing the opening scene voice over.  O.o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW7bVcGlgfo

mgilbrtsn said:
    What are all of you people talking about.  Where are all the P2W people.  Of course you can!!  It's P2W.  Donate you're 50 bucks (I don't know the going rate :)) and poof, you're right up there ;)
    Cash just helps you upgrade your gear faster, you still have to put in the hours grinding/levelling up, casual players don't really benefit from the P2W factor as much as hardcore grinders do, weird as that sounds.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Take ya a month or so of grinding to get caught up and .15 seconds to get 1 shot and sent packin
    I think I'm just going to visit as a tourist. People say the graphics are nice and it's beautiful. And I love games with boats, etc. I used to spend a lot of time sailing around on my raft in Darkfall exploring, mining and occasionally ganking (sometimes afk with a lot of ore) miners on the scattered islands.

• DrWookieDrWookie Member UncommonPosts: 263
    If you are a "mostly crafter PVEer" who also likes to dabble in PvP I would say you will enjoy the PVE/Crafting but not do well with the PvP. Games with scaleable PvP (GW2/ESO) or more for you (and me, when it comes to PvP).

In this game the PvP really comes down to 1. What level are you? (and the grind to get higher levels once you are past the soft cap is intense) and 2. What is your gear?

Both require grinding. Both are things that the current PvPing guilds have been doing since the beginning so you will be far behind.

That being said. Still try out the game. It is gorgeous and really fun. You will at the very least get your money's worth. It just won't be from the PvP experience.
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    your playing the wrong game if you think bdo is a pvp game LOL
  • DrWookieDrWookie Member UncommonPosts: 263
    your playing the wrong game if you think bdo is a pvp game LOL
    That's why I stopped playing it, so I'm actually not anymore. I had started playing it with hopes to be involved in castle sieges/warfare because I think on paper the game is SUPPOSED to be a pretty good group-based PvP game. However it required too much of a grind to be even near competitive. No skill, just grind. THat is why I quit. I'm considering returning to play it as a PvE game but we'll see.